Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

zoux posted:

If you love context and references you're gonna love scrolling up a few posts!

Posting on iPhones makes things bad. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell

Mercrom posted:

For example taking the idea that Abraham Lincoln's views are pretty much the polar opposite of Hitler's, and turning it into a joke by having Lincler point this out repeatedly and do nothing else. Or taking the idea that people turning a catastrophe like the Titanic into something romantic is pretty twisted, and using it to make a bunch of opposite world jokes with the crew.

Hey look at this wrong guy. You listed some things that happened but I don't see how they're relevant to your point at all.

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 15, 2014

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe Mercom can post a non-lazy joke for comparison

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
So anyways, I'm not really an internet social-justice warrior, so all the rape doesn't really put me off. But it is happening an awful lot now. Jelly Bean Man, Summer and the Gazorpazorps, now Jerry and whatsherface. Why so much? Just curious really.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Space T Rex posted:

So anyways, I'm not really an internet social-justice warrior, so all the rape doesn't really put me off. But it is happening an awful lot now. Jelly Bean Man, Summer and the Gazorpazorps, now Jerry and whatsherface. Why so much? Just curious really.

Roiland talks about it in that interview I posted earlier.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Space T Rex posted:

now Jerry and whatsherface. Why so much? Just curious really.

She just really wanted to live out the dream of being in the movie, dude.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

zoux posted:

Roiland talks about it in that interview I posted earlier.

Interview posted:

JR: (Laughs) We actually had a sketch in the interdimensional cable episode that was like a Seinfeld from another dimension, based off my horrible impression…but we ended up cutting it because it wasn’t as good as some of the other stuff.

JG: There’s something for the DVD.

JR: Yeah, exactly!

...Excellent...

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

I didn't even notice this one. We were trying to figure out who was voicing Lincler. Awesome line.

Sounded like a Maurice Lamarche job to me.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

shadok posted:

Sounded like a Maurice Lamarche job to me.

It was, a poster mentioned before how he sort of sounded like Calculon.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
This show.
Just this show.

Every episode was great. Sometimes parts were not as fun but mostly it rocked. Favorite ever part? My avatar.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

hcreight posted:

It was, a poster mentioned before how he sort of sounded like Calculon.

Yeah, I got that by the credits. We were drinking a bit, and we got into a small argument weather or not it was Alec Baldwin.

:cripes:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

hcreight posted:

Intentional or not, the B-Plot was pretty amusingly timed. Today is the 102nd anniversary of the Titanic sinking.

I am an unironic Titanic buff, so I've been watching the picture in Jerry's den all season, waiting...

I feel like this episode would have fit better towards the beginning, but I understand the writers wanting to do something less serial and more lighthearted for a closer.

I missed that Birdperson's hookup was bukkake girl: guess she wanted to try it after all! I did notice one of the stair-people from the giant's staircarse at the party, and for having a history of non-cooperation, at least two-thirds of the invited humans at the party were Ricks (from the council, too!). Maybe he's trying to mend fences. It's all of these little touches that really make this show worth rewatching a couple times.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm still trying to figure out if Earth Dimension C-137 is the reality that Rick-Prime and Morty-Prime originally came from (and Cronenberged) or the reality they moved to at the end of Rick Potion #9.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

shadok posted:

I'm still trying to figure out if Earth Dimension C-137 is the reality that Rick-Prime and Morty-Prime originally came from (and Cronenberged) or the reality they moved to at the end of Rick Potion #9.
I wish someone asked him this in the AMA.

(I think it's the one they moved to, for the record)

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm sure it's the one they moved to and he got all his paper in order for the transition.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
Also I realized that I've been listening to way too many old Harmontown podcasts recently because when Birdperson hooked up with Tammy at the end, I felt bad for Erin.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

shadok posted:

I guess the question is whether the council of ricks were aware that he had skipped dimensions post-cronenberging everything, I think they are just to be contrary to the others who've already posted also it makes more sense that it designates the origin of the Rick in question and their interaction in Rick-counters makes it seem like he's got a long history with the council of Ricks.

Puntification fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 15, 2014

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Maybe the C in his universe title is a special designation to indicate that his world was Cronenberged?

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Space T Rex posted:

Hey look at this wrong guy. You listed some things that happened but I don't see how they're relevant to your point at all.
Clearly it's because I think contextual humor is dumb. :rolleye:

My point was that they set up the premise of the joke well enough but then they repeated the same bland gag over and over again, which feels lazy to me. But maybe I should just insist everything the show does is perfect so I can be a True Fan.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

The true humor of a Hitler/Lincoln hybrid is when he gets on a unicycle and toots a horn with his rear end, rather than something relevant to why he is a funny character in the first place.

E: I am being a little difficult on purpose but I still don't understand. You want him to do something different and not related to the fact that he is both Hitler and Abraham Lincoln? You want something other than a reference to his humorous nature?

Space T Rex fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 16, 2014

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Mercrom posted:

My point was that they set up the premise of the joke well enough but then they repeated the same bland gag over and over again, which feels lazy to me. But maybe I should just insist everything the show does is perfect so I can be a True Fan.

This thread is for True Fans only, :frogout:

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Mercrom posted:

No you should analyze more jokes then wonder why they're not funny anymore.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Space T Rex posted:

The true humor of a Hitler/Lincoln hybrid is when he gets on a unicycle and toots a horn with his rear end, rather than something relevant to why he is a funny character in the first place.

E: I am being a little difficult on purpose but I still don't understand. You want him to do something different and not related to the fact that he is both Hitler and Abraham Lincoln? You want something other than a reference to his humorous nature?
Anyone who thinks contextual humor is dumb is probably retarded. I was being sarcastic.

Other than some one-liners most of what Lincler did was bemoan how incompatible his own views are, which is basically explaining the joke. This show is full of great jokes and the writers could have done this episode better, that's all I'm saying.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Let us gather the Council of True Fans and judge if this is acceptable or not. Please stand by, do not leave your home dimension.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just keep digging. Maybe someone else will fall in that pit with you and you won't be totally alone in Wrongville.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't care if you disagree that something is funny but I think calling poo poo lazy is the biggest bullshit criticism of all time so if you say that poo poo I'm gonna come down on you like a ton of Ricks.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

zoux posted:

I don't care if you disagree that something is funny but I think calling poo poo lazy is the biggest bullshit criticism of all time so if you say that poo poo I'm gonna come down on you like a ton of Ricks.
It wasn't my intention to weasel word anything. I just wanted to be more specific than saying "it's bad" or "this episode was disappointing", because if that's all I have to post I don't post at all.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Puntification posted:

I guess the question is whether the council of ricks were aware that he had skipped dimensions post-cronenberging everything

I don't think it has anything to do with the Council of Ricks. I doubt that Rick-Prime would give a crap whether they knew or cared about his move. I think it just comes down to his own preference: when he says "I'm Rick Sanchez of Earth Dimension C-137", is he talking about his point of origin or his current address.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Rick and Morty: It's like the N word and the C word had a baby and it was raised by all the bad words for Jews.

Pity it's too long for a new thread title :(

I absolutely loved the colouring for him. I'm guessing he was inspired by the Hawk from Buck Rogers?

Yeah its totally that guy, I remember looking at that picture and figuring out how best to portray that.

zoux posted:

One of the biggest misconceptions about the Gear Wars was that it was about gears.

I don't know if it was intentional but gear guy totally reminded me of this Heman toy.

Oh man, that toy was on my art directors desk. I think the gear guy went through a lot of changes.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

shadok posted:

I don't think it has anything to do with the Council of Ricks. I doubt that Rick-Prime would give a crap whether they knew or cared about his move. I think it just comes down to his own preference: when he says "I'm Rick Sanchez of Earth Dimension C-137", is he talking about his point of origin or his current address.

Ricks probably name dimensions according to which Rick lives there, not the other way around.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I bet I'm reading into this like some kind of in-reader, but Rick mentions some dude who sounds like an ersatz version of Little Richards ("Tiny Rogerts, you know the black effeminate guy from the 50s?), and it makes me wonder if this Rick is not originally from the universe that would eventually become Cronenberg world.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mercrom posted:

Anyone who thinks contextual humor is dumb is probably retarded. I was being sarcastic.
M-Mercrom, I don't think you're supposed to say that word

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

JT Jag posted:

M-Mercrom, I don't think you're supposed to say that word

That's retarded.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I'm not disparaging the differently abled, I'm stating a fact that reading all of the posts on this forum is making me mentally retarded.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

In case anyone was curious, Rick and Morty is a bonafide ratings hit. Best half-hour in its spot by far.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/04/15/monday-cable-ratings-wwe-raw-wins-night-basketball-wives-bates-motel-archer-dallas-more/254059/

Funny that a 0.9 is a drat good rating for cable, but for Community, the same rating is abysmal. Well, less funny than sad.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I thought this was a pretty good ending to the season but one of the weaker episodes overall. It definitely had its great moments but a little uneven.

Also I'm biased against any Abraham Lincoln jokes because for some reason he's the go-to monkey cheese badass president.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Yodzilla posted:

Also I'm biased against any Abraham Lincoln jokes because for some reason he's the go-to monkey cheese badass president.

Nope, that'd be Teddy Roosevelt.

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Paladinus posted:

There was this weird hydrocephalus guy wearing a t-shirt with a blue Bart Simpson on it. What's up with that, huh?

That's progeria kid. He's been in the background a couple of times. GIS progeria and tell me I'm wrong.

This series is just loving brilliance all over the place.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
I think the Lincoln / Hitler thing kinda exemplifies why this show works so well. It could have just been a quick one-off gag, but they very clearly stated the logic as to why he existed and delivered such wonderful lines to go with his character.

Glory to Justin Roiland. Praise Dan Harmon. Cheers to everyone who put together such a loving enjoyable show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Pakled posted:

Nope, that'd be Teddy Roosevelt.

Adventure Time pilot with Abraham Lincon on Mars. two points for Abe.

• Locked thread