Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
If I have a Demesne of 2/2, with my King holding two County titles, should I maybe give one of those titles away and lower my Demesne size to 1/2 and let a Vassal put up with keeping track of the County? Or is it better to keep your Demesne maxed whenever possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

The Catholic holy orders won't go Orthodox - at best they'll switch to a heresy of Catholicism (Cathar, Fraticelli, Waldensian) if the heresy supplants the original religion.

In this case, Orthodoxy counts as a heresy of Catholicism that has supplanted the original.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Also Jains don't have any short reign penalty.

Neither do Buddhists.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Civilized Fishbot posted:

In this case, Orthodoxy counts as a heresy of Catholicism that has supplanted the original.

I don't think so since Orthodoxy was never a heresy.

Maybe it's possible if you mend the schism, convert most everyone back to Catholicism (to activate the holy orders and make Orthodoxy a 'heresy') and then convert everyone back but that sounds like trouble than it is worth.

Besides, Byzantines have Cataphracts, they kill everything.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Alright, doing much better in this; the LPs just made things seem much faster-paced and usually cropped the images so there wasn't always a sense of how much time actually happens between things, so I felt like I was going way too slow. I've now managed to become King of Ireland with seven counties, get four of the remaining six to swear fealty to me, then conquered one of the remaining two, after which the last one saw the writing on the wall and reconsidered her decision to not join the Kingdom of Ireland.

I have a problem, though. I married my eldest son to some woman with claims in York (now Privek or something) in the hopes of eventually getting claims to the lands over there back when my first guy was still alive; however, after the marriage he went over to her court, and now, even though I'm king and everything's going to poo poo over there, I can't get either of them to come back. Besides this probably loving up my grandkids' education, I'm worried as to where he'll be when my current dude dies. He's still my heir, but will he return to Ireland or stick around over in that shithole?

Your heir isn't such a sucker that he'll pass up his inheritance - he'll take over your court as normal. You generally shouldn't marry your heirs to landed people for exactly this reason, though. Your grandkids are the only real casualties but man does losing control of their educations suck. You might see if you can ask his wife for permission to tutor them anyway - as you're their grandfather she might agree.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jazerus posted:

Your heir isn't such a sucker that he'll pass up his inheritance - he'll take over your court as normal. You generally shouldn't marry your heirs to landed people for exactly this reason, though. Your grandkids are the only real casualties but man does losing control of their educations suck. You might see if you can ask his wife for permission to tutor them anyway - as you're their grandfather she might agree.

Oh, good idea. Didn't think to do that. Thanks.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: some of the mechanics are kinda opaque. For instance, Buddhists have gender equality (no penalty for female rulers) and I don't think that's in their religion tooltip.
It's kind of weird for them, though, since they can't enact true cognatic unless they're Basque, and they're also not eligible for elective, so in most cases the only way to actually get a female ruler is if you only have female children.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 16, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
This Oman -> Abyssinian-Arabian Sultanate game is the first time I've had to be a vassal for any real length of time and I finally understand why AI vassals are always such implacable jackasses. Just the fact that I have to put up with some prick lording over me and jerking my chain as he pleases is bad enough, but the Abbasids are huge and I have to live with the knowledge that if Caliph Butthead wanted to yank my titles there is nothing I can do to stop him.

Guys, I... I think I may have become that vassal.

e. its kind of fun though. theres all sorts of diplomatic concerns to deal with when you're trying to claw your way up a massive empire from within.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 16, 2014

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

This Oman -> Abyssinian-Arabian Sultanate game is the first time I've had to be a vassal for any real length of time and I finally understand why AI vassals are always such unplacatable jackasses. Just the fact that I have to put up with some prick lording over me and jerking my chain as he pleases is bad enough, but the Abbasids are huge and I have to live with the knowledge that if Caliph Butthead wanted to yank my titles there is nothing I can do to stop him.

Guys, I... I think I may have become that vassal.

e. its kind of fun though. theres all sorts of diplomatic concerns to deal with when you're trying to claw your way up a massive empire from within.

Seeing as how I'm languishing in Oman myself, I would love to hear from you (or anyone else) what you're doing to claw your way into the upper echelons of your empire. I kind of feel like I've stalled out (went from a single sheikdom to a five-sheikdom emirate pretty quick) and I really have no idea how to advance further in an Islamic state. The Hashimids just handed me this emirate so I sure as hell didn't earn it on my own. Assassinating people can only take me so far, I'm assuming.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013

Esroc posted:

If I have a Demesne of 2/2, with my King holding two County titles, should I maybe give one of those titles away and lower my Demesne size to 1/2 and let a Vassal put up with keeping track of the County? Or is it better to keep your Demesne maxed whenever possible?

Keep it maxed. You get more personal levies (and tax income(?)) that way and it has no negative effects.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Esroc posted:

You should generally keep it maxed out, especially if your cap is 2. You get full tax income from territories in your demense as opposed to whatever your vassals feel like giving you, and you also get the full levy, not to mention being able to build things to improve the county.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

I have a problem, though. I married my eldest son to some woman with claims in York (now Privek or something) in the hopes of eventually getting claims to the lands over there back when my first guy was still alive; however, after the marriage he went over to her court, and now, even though I'm king and everything's going to poo poo over there, I can't get either of them to come back. Besides this probably loving up my grandkids' education, I'm worried as to where he'll be when my current dude dies. He's still my heir, but will he return to Ireland or stick around over in that shithole?

In a marriage between a landed character and an unlanded character, the unlanded character will always go to the landed character's court and remain there until they get land of their own. The good news is that when he inherits your lands, he'll return to Ireland and remain there; until then, though, there's nothing you can do to get him back.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Techno Remix posted:

Seeing as how I'm languishing in Oman myself, I would love to hear from you (or anyone else) what you're doing to claw your way into the upper echelons of your empire. I kind of feel like I've stalled out (went from a single sheikdom to a five-sheikdom emirate pretty quick) and I really have no idea how to advance further in an Islamic state. The Hashimids just handed me this emirate so I sure as hell didn't earn it on my own. Assassinating people can only take me so far, I'm assuming.

I think I lucked out a lot :v:. I was able to chancellor spam the Caliph for long enough to gobble up the Shias in Sana'a and pick away the Hashimids until I could form Arabia. Mecca + Sanaa + Oman gives you enough, despite not looking like it. I did get holy warred at one point, due to being Ibadi, but I managed to duck out with a conversion. Of course, once I formed Arabia the Caliph got hella pissed due to coveting my title and went to subjugate me. So I... reloaded a previous save and swore fealty*. Once I joined up with the empire, the Caliph was nice enough to hand over all the de jure Arabian holdings. This gave me enough manpower to start loving with Abyssinia. I got incredibly lucky with Abyssinia because I was able to hit them with an invasion right after they lost war with the Abassids. Took me five loving years, but I got the whole ball of wax.

There's a lot of assassinations going on during the above, to remove truces &tc.

If you control the Sanaa duchy, make it your primary holding. It's really good for the area. If you can get Mecca, make that your second duchy. Oman's terrible so just give it to whoever. With Mecca + Sanaa, I think I might be making more money than the Caliph, albeit with large iqta tax and rulers geared towards stewardship. ~35 gold per month right now. This was really important because it let me basically put mercs on retainer (much love for my bedouin company homies). You could probably make up the difference with strong martial focus. Because, lemme tell ya, my martial scores have been a shambles all game.

If you're not already a vassal of the Abbassids, consider taking a knee so you can war internally for whatever Arabian holdings you're missing. I think you can still form kingdoms as a vassal. You'll probably have to grind down their crown authority, unfortunately.

*i am bad at vidyer games

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 16, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Man, there's really no beating Almos Arpad for kicking off basically any gimmick you might imagine.

He died shortly after this, which was pretty much what I wanted anyway, but restoring the Roman Empire in <20 years is pretty ridiculous.

(Hopefully the picture attaches properly)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Edit: Never mind, nothing to see here.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 16, 2014

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I just realized that post didnt even come close to answering your question, Techno Remix. Sorry.

Long story short I ain't doing poo poo to claw my way up the empire internally because Caliph Mansur has everyone completely cowed and if I even think about plotting or factioning, he shows up to give me a talking to. He's about 80 years old and completely untouchable and sucks completely.

Fortunately his crap dynasty is at %80 decadence and gaining 1.6 per month so ahaha prepare to get dunked, bismillah

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 16, 2014

I SAID LISTEN
Jan 10, 2007
I don't *do* up.
The Basileus just successfully pressed a claim for the entire HRE. I've never seen that happen before.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I just realized that post didnt even come close to answering your question, Techno Remix. Sorry.

Long story short I ain't doing poo poo to claw my way up the empire internally because Caliph Mansur has everyone completely cowed and if I even think about plotting or factioning, he shows up to give me a talking to. He's about 80 years old and completely untouchable and sucks by completely.

Fortunately his crap dynasty is at %80 decadence and gaining 1.6 per month so ahaha prepare to get dunked, bismillah

If he's eighty, it's time to start looking at his heirs and planning for the succession. An elderly ruler is hard to move against because of high prestige and long realm bonuses, but within a decade or two he'll either become incapable or die and leave his title to a son with a short realm penalty, much lower prestige, and much less popularity built up among the vassals. Time to save up your war chest, build popularity among the other vassals, but otherwise play innocent until he's on his deathbed. Due to his age and Agnatic Open, his heir is probably adult and decently competent, but you never know - and maybe a well-placed knife could establish a weaker heir.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

I SAID LISTEN posted:

The Basileus just successfully pressed a claim for the entire HRE. I've never seen that happen before.

He's doing the Alexandrian Empire thing in reverse

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Man, I forgot the most annoying part of the 'become saoshyant' decision - your existing children don't get the descendant trait. So you basically have to do it before your intended heir is born.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

Man, I forgot the most annoying part of the 'become saoshyant' decision - your existing children don't get the descendant trait. So you basically have to do it before your intended heir is born.

They do, it just takes a few months for the checksum to "refresh" and the trait to appear. All of my Shaoshyant's kids have the trait.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Spiderfist Island posted:

They do, it just takes a few months for the checksum to "refresh" and the trait to appear. All of my Shaoshyant's kids have the trait.
...really. Well. Good to know, then.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

So I'm nearing the end of my current game and I've an idea for my next but it involves being a merchant republic which I've not played often - can you gain some land, declare independence and then form your own independent merchant republic? Can you do it against a ducal merchant republic? Or would you have to do that under a king-level merchant republic at least?

Basically I want to be a Pisan merchant, gain Mallorca and then declare independence so I can start my Catalan republic with the over-arching aim of Aragon as New New Carthage.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I SAID LISTEN posted:

I once had Francia reformed by a Karling Empress.

Then she married the Basileus. This lead to the the only time I've ever seen an AI Roman Empire.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Strudel Man posted:

I'm not any kind of expert on philosophy, but my intuition is that any religious position which says that the dudes who can have you executed at a whim don't matter/exist is probably going to change within that society PDQ.

I was thinking about that untouchables thing and.. it didn't matter for the Muslim conquerors, so it wouldn't for the Norse either.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Strudel Man posted:

He died shortly after this, which was pretty much what I wanted anyway, but restoring the Roman Empire in <20 years is pretty ridiculous.

I can't not game my way into owning the Roman Empire, it's just got too many perks!
The only problem I tend to have, is that the Byzantine Empire gets destroyed by a vassal that wants land before I can usurp the title.
It's beneficial to usurp instead of re-create the Byzantine Empire, since the Emperor has usually formed the Varangian guard by this point, and there's no way to re-vassalise the varangian guard, so they just turn into another pagan mercenary company.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Autonomous Monster posted:

No, it makes perfect sense. And they probably shouldn't be conflated. It's not the only trait with this problem, though: Brave seems to include the concept of recklessness. And there's no "cautious" or "wary" trait that isn't Paranoid or Craven, either, and no way to express the concept "I am an introvert" without going full-on "I am scared of other people" (Shy).

It helps, I find, to think of the traits not as "you have this personality trait" and more "you are famous/infamous for having this personality trait." Someone who's 'just' an introvert isn't going to have any trait at all; you only get traits when the situation is so bad that you are outright frightened of other people, and people know that about you, and talk about it.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

How exactly does Crusader Kings II Multiplayer work/differ from the main game?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

No, it makes perfect sense. And they probably shouldn't be conflated. It's not the only trait with this problem, though: Brave seems to include the concept of recklessness. And there's no "cautious" or "wary" trait that isn't Paranoid or Craven, either, and no way to express the concept "I am an introvert" without going full-on "I am scared of other people" (Shy).

Patient is the positive cautious/wary trait.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

MegaZeroX posted:

How exactly does Crusader Kings II Multiplayer work/differ from the main game?

You get to play all the DLCs you didnt buy but the host did. The rest's about the same except you have to run the game on slower speeds because reasons.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The game also doesn't pause unless you do it manually, and it tends to annoy others unless you have a good reason. (Character death, won a war, had a war started, etc). So don't spend time reading things and also pay extra attention to troop movement, because it's seriously important.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Long story short I ain't doing poo poo to claw my way up the empire internally because Caliph Mansur has everyone completely cowed and if I even think about plotting or factioning, he shows up to give me a talking to. He's about 80 years old and completely untouchable and sucks completely.

Actually I think both posts did a dang good job. I just get too complacent where I'm at. The Hashimids and Abbasaids have a really strong, unbreakable block on the Arabian Peninsula so I don't think I can even dream of independence or moving against the Addasaids (I'm part of the Hashimids and I'd rather not piss them off yet). Despite having five sheikdoms I had to give three away because my stewardship was slowly dropping for some reason so now I'm left with two (reasonably well-developed) in my personal demesne and I can barely break 2000 in levies so there's no way I can make a move.

I guess I just need to wait for another Abbasaid revolt to start claiming land.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Patient is the positive cautious/wary trait.

Patience and caution aren't really the same thing, though they are close. Actually, I think I'd fold caution into diligence before patience.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Someone who's 'just' an introvert isn't going to have any trait at all; you only get traits when the situation is so bad that you are outright frightened of other people, and people know that about you, and talk about it.

I'm all for traits representing something taken to an extreme, I just don't think "I don't like talking to people" necessarily implies "I am scared of people" at its extremity. CK1 had an amiable/hostile split which might suit some cases better.

I guess once you start splitting hairs this fine it's going to be very hard to reach a consensus, huh?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

How do interactions with actual players work in multiplayer? Can another player be your vassal?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

MegaZeroX posted:

How do interactions with actual players work in multiplayer? Can another player be your vassal?

It's not significantly changed, other players will be like AI who can actually think, all the rules still apply.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Thanks for the clarification, everyone. Is anyone up for a multiplayer CK2 game? I'd like to eventually go until 1453. We'd have to work out schedule of what times we will play, so contact me through Steam.

My Steam profile

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Last I checked MP was busted by the patch, lot of desyncs, and the newest patch didnt fix it so might have to wait.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Desyncs are always gonna be a problem. Last time I played MP was after Old Gods came out and if we ever went above 2 speed crazy poo poo started to happen.

It's fun but a little half-baked on the technical side.

EDIT: Also one time me and someone else managed to both select the same character and the game let both of us play as him.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Rejected Fate posted:

So I'm nearing the end of my current game and I've an idea for my next but it involves being a merchant republic which I've not played often - can you gain some land, declare independence and then form your own independent merchant republic? Can you do it against a ducal merchant republic? Or would you have to do that under a king-level merchant republic at least?

Basically I want to be a Pisan merchant, gain Mallorca and then declare independence so I can start my Catalan republic with the over-arching aim of Aragon as New New Carthage.

Actually started a Merchant Republic game with a similar goal. If the merchant republic is still a duchy, you cannot declare independence. It'd be a game over. I haven't tried it under a king-level merchant republic, but I doubt there'd be a problem. Be sure to have a city to yourself, one that doesn't transfer to the next Doge. Get a duke-title claim somewhere and then claim it when you're not the Doge. You'll have your original city as the new base for your new merchant republic.

In my game, I started as the Republic of Amalfi, then claimed the duchy of Croatia when I wasn't the Doge, forcing me to leave the Republic of Amalfi. My base of operation was a city in Sicily as I didn't have any cities in Croatia proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Edison was a dick posted:

I can't not game my way into owning the Roman Empire, it's just got too many perks!
The only problem I tend to have, is that the Byzantine Empire gets destroyed by a vassal that wants land before I can usurp the title.
It's beneficial to usurp instead of re-create the Byzantine Empire, since the Emperor has usually formed the Varangian guard by this point, and there's no way to re-vassalise the varangian guard, so they just turn into another pagan mercenary company.

I pretty much have the varangian guard as a permanent standing army along side the holy order because the only thing declaring war on me is the caliph so it makes a good force to instantly start stomping the stacks he raises. I'm not quite at the point of forming the empire yet because I'm still waiting for my drat magistrate to fabricate a claim on genoa. You'd think that a 31 skill magistrate would fabricate a claim in no time but that doesn't seem to be the case in my game.

• Locked thread