Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

McLarenF1 posted:

Replacing me already huh? :argh:
No, just calling in your stunt double till your shoulder heals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

The_Maz posted:

Seconding Coleman over in Falls Church. I know there have been occasional mixed reviews but I've never had a bad experience there. They've been good with gear, seemed to give a drat about proper fitment, and will order pretty much anything for you. Also the price matching thing is handy.

I've had the hard upsell, as well as the completely-ignored experience with Coleman's. Overall the accessory and gear side is fine. As soon as you make any noise at all about buying a bike, they become a bunch of shifty a-holes.

Edit: And I wouldn't trust their service department to change my oil right.

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Good to know. I've never dealt with their actual bike sales people or their service dept, just the gear dudes. With that fresh knowledge, where would people recommend for getting tires done around here?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The_Maz posted:

Good to know. I've never dealt with their actual bike sales people or their service dept, just the gear dudes.

This is my experience too and both times were great.

Not to break up local shop talk, but just a reminder to anyone coming to Cornerspin in May to book a hotel room. It's a nascar weekend so probably worth looking into before the day of.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

hot sauce posted:

This is my experience too and both times were great.

Not to break up local shop talk, but just a reminder to anyone coming to Cornerspin in May to book a hotel room. It's a nascar weekend so probably worth looking into before the day of.

I just called that hotel they use, they only had a king ste for 109.00 due to nascar. I asked if they could discount it with cornerspin rate, the lowest they go was 89.00 per night. I said gently caress it pulled the trigger cause I dont want to look around for anything else.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

The_Maz posted:

Good to know. I've never dealt with their actual bike sales people or their service dept, just the gear dudes. With that fresh knowledge, where would people recommend for getting tires done around here?
Last time I went there, Coleman's mounted my tires OK, but balanced them a little off. I think they use a spinny computer machine thingo, and you really need to static balance sportbike tires. They do often run pretty good tire sales tho.

Any work I don't do myself these days goes to Crossroads Cycle in Bailey's Crossroads. They don't keep stuff like tires on hand though, so call ahead.

Clinton Cycles was good if you're maryland-side, R&R Cycles in sterling(?) gets a lot of praise, I keep seeing some new outfit called "JP Superbikes" all over Craigslist, and there's a place in Springfield I've been meaning to check out since they're close to me. Most places that carry tires should be able to handle them fine.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've been to both coleman and crossroads. Coleman's nothing special, the gear people are helpful and will order out-of-stock sizes for you for no extra price. I went to crossroads to get some bushings moved from one set of dogbones to another, and those dudes are really fun to talk to. $$$$$ like most repair shops, though. Lady in front of me was getting an oil change for $90 god whyyyyyy :gonk:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
So M42 found me an even better deal but the problem is it's pretty far away. I feel like Id be able to handle a lazy Sunday cruise as a beginner but that beltway is gonna be hairy no matter what. What do you guys think?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Definitely do not ride on the beltway if you're fresh out of a beginner class. Not only will it be terrifying, but your reflexes probably aren't up to snuff in case the poo poo hits the fan.

You could probably take surface streets all the way from Monrovia back to Arlington, but you'd want to give yourself at least an entire afternoon to do so. Unless you can memorize a long, complex route, or have a cell phone cradle ready to install when you buy the bike, you're going to need to stop occasionally to figure out your next few turns.

If you buy a bike (even a used one) from a dealer they will deliver it to you for a fee. This is what I did when I got my first bike. Then I spent the first few weeks riding around my neighborhood so I could both get used to the bike and riding in traffic in an area where I knew where I was going and felt comfortable. I'm also in Arlington... as long as you're not on Columbia Pike traffic will be very manageable.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As long as it checks out mechanically that looks like a good beater bike to ride around on. The only negative I'd worry about is the extra electric things. Not a deal breaker, but there's a chance it could be a mess of wires you'll have to clean out.

If you don't have any experience yet, I would advise against taking on the beltway as your first ride especially with it being tourist season. Depending on where this dude is located, I could ride it home for you Sunday if you need help.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Monrovia, so like over an hour.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
VA or MD? Google maps brings up that name in both states. I've actually never heard of it before

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I'm *really* good at memorizing directions so I could probably route out a bunch of back roads to get home, which would probably be manageable. I dunno, may stick with the Alexandria guy (if he ever gets back to me :mad: )

edit: MD

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Haha, I didn't even know there were two of them. In that case, it's like 50 miles.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
He went the wrong way with that sprocket. Gas mileage +, being able to pass -. The included 14 tooth is nice tho.

Not a bad find, talk him down to 1200 and it's a solid deal. Finding back road routes is a solid way to get a feel for the bike.

If it's Monrovia, VA, just head up 15 to 29 and there's lots of non-beltway routes north from there. I don't get people's Beltway nervousness. I find it less stressful than heavy traffic stop/go side roads.

Edit: Oh. MD. Take 15 to 7 in Leesburg, and there's lots of side-roads east.

Mr. Eric Praline fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 16, 2014

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

I don't get people's Beltway nervousness. I find it less stressful than heavy traffic stop/go side roads.

I think that now, but still wouldn't have wanted to have it be my first ride on a motorcycle, when I'm still not even comfortable with the clutch, brakes, and throttle. I'd suggest taking the backoads you suggested home.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
I've ridden through Monrovia before it's near my Point of Rocks route, some decent roads back there. You guys wanna make a day trip out of this, new guy you could roll up with a bunch of dudes on bikes to buy your bike and ride home with us. Hot Sauce could take you home through the back roads to DC. If you feel comfortable, if not I'm about to have a lot of free time soon, let me know if you need someone to pick up the bike for you.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

hot sauce posted:

I think that now, but still wouldn't have wanted to have it be my first ride on a motorcycle, when I'm still not even comfortable with the clutch, brakes, and throttle. I'd suggest taking the backoads you suggested home.
I recall getting on the beltway for the the day I got my first bike and feeling relieved that I didn't have to worry about stalling at the next light, but it was a GpZ500, and had no problems keeping up, so maybe that's a lot of it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I think it's cause the beltway is such a shitshow wrt traffic, that's definitely something you don't want to deal with as a beginner.

HNasty posted:

bunch of dudes on bikes

a sputter of goons

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Yeah most of my beltway fears isn't myself it's me reacting to the inevitable shithead texting while driving or cutting lanes like he's in a race. Once I get something hammered out with one of these sellers I'll let you guys know. Trying to make it happen on a weekend, preferably a Sunday.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

HNasty posted:

You guys wanna make a day trip out of this, new guy you could roll up with a bunch of dudes on bikes to buy your bike and ride home with us. Hot Sauce could take you home through the back roads to DC.

I have an image of a bunch of guys in full gear in a circle around the bike, each pointing out something very slightly wrong in order to get the price down.

I'd be up for a ride around those parts if anybody else is interested; checking out the bike or not.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I'm not gonna have time for an all-day ride this weekend. Anyone want to just meet up for brunch? I was thinking the Queen Vic on H.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

I'm not gonna have time for an all-day ride this weekend. Anyone want to just meet up for brunch? I was thinking the Queen Vic on H.

I can meet up at the Queen Vic on Sunday morning

The_Maz
Mar 27, 2005

Get It By Your Hands
Which one of you was this?

Might be able to make Sunday AM at the Queen Vic. I should know for sure come Saturday midday.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

hot sauce posted:

I can meet up at the Queen Vic on Sunday morning

Yeah sunday morning at Queen Vic sounds good, would rather get there early to avoid brunch crowns tho.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
Sunday 9am then?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
They actually open at 10am on the weekends, but there is still a small window before the brunch yuppies wake up. We should be good meeting then and spending an hour or so there.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
God dammit, I was just reminded that Sunday is Easter and I have stupid family obligations.

Still good for Saturday afternoon/evening tho....

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Can't do Saturday - will have to catch you another time.

The_Maz posted:

Which one of you was this?

Might be able to make Sunday AM at the Queen Vic. I should know for sure come Saturday midday.

lol I didn't notice this link before. That was actually McLarenF1, not being able to ride has already made him go insane.

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 17, 2014

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

I'm riding tomorrow morning around 10 am, meeting a guy at Katie's Cars and Coffee and heading out to middleburg etc, if anyone wants to they're welcome to join.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
So if any of you guys want to come with me and check out this bike on Sunday I'd be much obliged. I think talking him down to ~$1500 would be reasonable and a good buy.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What time are you going to meet him? PM me your phone #, I'll be riding Sunday and can prob help you out.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
We haven't settled on a time yet because he's not sure if he's going to be called in to work. Should have a hard time tomorrow.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Text me the deets once you get em, I'll help out.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Well we're set for tomorrow at 11 am. PM me for details if you want to help out.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Big thanks to M42 for showing up and poo-pooing the bike as I probably would have bought it and killed myself on 66. I may try to talk him down to 1-1.2k but I think I'd rather wait for a bike that I won't have to work on too much to get it into rideable shape.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

What ended up being wrong with it?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Like, everything. Rust everywhere, almost no front brake pads to speak of, low and old brake fluid, almost completely bald stock terrible ninja tires (the rear tire stepped out when the dude showed us the rear brake), missing fasteners, sounded hoarse and like some valves weren't clearing, etc etc.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

M42 posted:

Like, everything. Rust everywhere, almost no front brake pads to speak of, low and old brake fluid, almost completely bald stock terrible ninja tires (the rear tire stepped out when the dude showed us the rear brake), missing fasteners, sounded hoarse and like some valves weren't clearing, etc etc.

I have a Suzuki Savage in my garage, that last ran about 2 years ago, I've lost the key, you can have it for cheap. It belong's to my buddy's ex gf want me to message her and see how much she wants for it?

It will prob be a couple of hundred bucks or free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Well, it'd be necc0's first bike, and the general consensus is that your first bike should be rideable from the get go. Nothing's worse than spending months getting a bike into rideable shape instead of actually learning how to ride.

• Locked thread