Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
This is the second time this has happened, I seem to have the same luck with the Slug ship that most of you have with the Crystal. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Command Ant posted:

I have yet to build up the courage to play on hard. :cripes:

Almost every ship has the ability to easily pierce your shields throughout the game so you spend your precious scrap, which you get less of, repairing your hull. Even if you never took damage you still won't be able to afford the upgrades you want to fight the flagship. And the Flagship is different on hard. It has hacking, mind control, and the two center turrets aren't isolated. Yes, that includes the triple rocket launcher, so it always gets repaired. I'm pretty sure it gives you AIDS too.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

wyoming posted:

This is the second time this has happened, I seem to have the same luck with the Slug ship that most of you have with the Crystal. :smith:

I've completed the crystal ship quest twice but have always ALWAYS been too far into sector 7 to get the slug ship quest. I also routinely get the stealth ship start but I've never had an engi crew member during

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
First victory with Slug A! Completely obliterated the flagship thanks to the thousands of scrap I collected by killing off the crew of every ship ever. Also I killed both my Rockmen in a boarding accident in sector 7, didnt matter though.

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
I've won on hard 9 times now, twice with the slug and engi C ships. One thing that makes it harder is that ships you encounter are pretty powerful, think a sector or two earlier compared to normal. Sector 1 will easily have ships with medbays, clonebays, or weapons systems like a burst laser 2 + another laser, or a couple dual lasers. So if you can't take ships down quickly, you're gonna get creamed. Additionally a lot of early game gimmicks like boarding are harder to pull off since they can easily have medbays early on.

Slug-C has hacking and mind control, mind control can be nearly as good as boarding. hacking lets you do lots of useful things, early on you can slow down the incoming fire so your meager chain laser can shoot their weapons.

You also get way less scrap, most of my runs I end up with 50-75% reactor power, and around 1400 scrap collected.

My highest scoring run is now a stealth-A, probably due to the fact that I was able to pile in scrap with my sensors from the start, and its starting weapons are surprisingly decent at taking down early ships.

edit: I have 1257 games played and 1384 hours played, so I'm not trying to say the game is easy and you can always win etc. I have 78 victories total.

TacMan fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 16, 2014

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Decided to give that Captain's Edition mod a shot on recommendation of this thread. It's pretty neat, and spices up the game in a similar way to Advanced Edition. There are a few things I'm not too keen on, such as renaming the sectors to stupid RP bullshit, some of the writing, and the trading system. But hell, it's not like I read any text in FTL more than once anyways, and trading is completely ignorable. I dig pretty much everything else. Tons of new weapons/augments, fresh ship configurations, and way more blue text choices. Think I'll stick with it for now.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Vargs posted:

Decided to give that Captain's Edition mod a shot on recommendation of this thread. It's pretty neat, and spices up the game in a similar way to Advanced Edition. There are a few things I'm not too keen on, such as renaming the sectors to stupid RP bullshit, some of the writing, and the trading system. But hell, it's not like I read any text in FTL more than once anyways, and trading is completely ignorable. I dig pretty much everything else. Tons of new weapons/augments, fresh ship configurations, and way more blue text choices. Think I'll stick with it for now.

I personally like the "stupid RP bullshit" It adds some character over "X homeworld"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When you jump into a beacon too close to a star, don't forget to vent all unmanned areas to space. The fires will be mostly a non-issue.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Arglebargle III posted:

When you jump into a beacon too close to a star, don't forget to vent all unmanned areas to space. The fires will be mostly a non-issue.

Whoa, smart move. This is solid advice.

I keep getting creamed by the Flagship, even on Easy. On my last run I had like 400 Scrap and maxed out Engines and Shields and some good weapons but couldn't find any stores/extra crewmembers so I ended up piling it all into subsystems and getting bopped.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Whoa, smart move. This is solid advice.

I keep getting creamed by the Flagship, even on Easy. On my last run I had like 400 Scrap and maxed out Engines and Shields and some good weapons but couldn't find any stores/extra crewmembers so I ended up piling it all into subsystems and getting bopped.

At least you got to the Flagship. In my first 20 hours of playing I reached the flagship once*.

(Then in the next 10 I've beaten the game three times)

If you want to cheese the flagship, Kill the dude in the missile room, the inner right weapon as your first priority. Let leave the guy on the inner left weapon system alive. If all crew members die, the flagship goes on autopilot, so this way you're guaranteed to leave one guy alive. The missiles are too dangerous to leave alone.

*This is on normal though because I'm too proud to play any game on easy mode :shobon:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WOW that's bullshit. Maybe it's been mentioned before, I don't know but one of the nice things of the clone bay is how it minimizes the risk of those events that take away crew members such as Giant Spiders. Except apparently the event where you explore an empty station and have a crew member throw up his guts/life away says that your crew doesn't clone him since the "disease will return" or something like that.

I guess all I'm saying is kill spiders but don't explore abandoned stations with a clone bay.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

100YrsofAttitude posted:

WOW that's bullshit. Maybe it's been mentioned before, I don't know but one of the nice things of the clone bay is how it minimizes the risk of those events that take away crew members such as Giant Spiders. Except apparently the event where you explore an empty station and have a crew member throw up his guts/life away says that your crew doesn't clone him since the "disease will return" or something like that.

I guess all I'm saying is kill spiders but don't explore abandoned stations with a clone bay.

Funny thing, though, an upgraded medbay can save your crewman there.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Morphix posted:

Also, can someone reupload the save file with all the ships/layouts? Because the OP link doesn't work:(

Ship file is here.
Or grab the save editor since it works now for Advanced Edition to just unlock the ships you want.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
I sort of feel like in a lot of cases that getting hacking/mind control can be a huge trap, since it can lock you out of getting stealth, while not really bringing as much to the table in the fight against the mothership. Stealth, even if it's just one level, can really save your rear end against the second and third phases when there's a power surge. Mind control, on the other hand, can slightly damage one of the weapons at best, maybe help you kill a couple crew if you combine it with hacking the medbay, but not much beyond that. Hacking is definitely more useful in my opinion because of how much it can disrupt the crew moving around and fixing things, on top of the effects it has on systems, but it still won't save you the way stealth will.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
There's your problem: Hacking the medbay is useless. If you're trying to take out the crew you hack their doors and beam into the cloaking room.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Zigmidge posted:

There's your problem: Hacking the medbay is useless. If you're trying to take out the crew you hack their doors and beam into the cloaking room.

I meant that hacking the medbay was a way to make mind control useful in a case where you have both, not really a good way to make use of hacking in general though. I think hacking the shield room is generally the best course if you can kill off the pilot with boarders or weapons since it will trap him behind a door too.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

AndroidHub posted:

I meant that hacking the medbay was a way to make mind control useful in a case where you have both, not really a good way to make use of hacking in general though. I think hacking the shield room is generally the best course if you can kill off the pilot with boarders or weapons since it will trap him behind a door too.

You can always do the abduction strategy if you have a teleporter - mind control and teleport enemy crew to your ship and subsequently murder them. If you lack the capability to kill crew on the flagship you can use this to slowly empty out the main body.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Counterhacking the hacking room isn't bad for picking off crew either. You jump two guys into the door room, scare the guard off and softer up the doors, and once they're battering at the hacking room you port another two into that corridor and pick those guys off while they don't fight back because they're attacking the doors, and you can usually pick the crew off two at a time this way.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Sloober posted:

You can always do the abduction strategy if you have a teleporter - mind control and teleport enemy crew to your ship and subsequently murder them. If you lack the capability to kill crew on the flagship you can use this to slowly empty out the main body.

I don't know why I never considered this possibility but my next run I need to do it.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Cool, the flagship can hack your oxygen supply in the first round, missile the oxygen room, and gently caress you over completely within the first minute.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
After I updated my GeForce 540 driver, FTL has started acting wonky, occasionally 'tabbing' out to show me my desktop and back again. Need I say it is always while fighting the flagship or some souped-up slug cruiser :argh:

Any idea what causes it or how I can make it go away?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Cool, the flagship can hack your oxygen supply in the first round, missile the oxygen room, and gently caress you over completely within the first minute.

This is when you jump away from the fight and hope you can fix it before you die.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

IAmTheRad posted:

Ship file is here.
Or grab the save editor since it works now for Advanced Edition to just unlock the ships you want.

Thank you!

Is the save editor in the op?

e guess not, ill look through the official forums

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!

AndroidHub posted:

I sort of feel like in a lot of cases that getting hacking/mind control can be a huge trap, since it can lock you out of getting stealth

Agreed that stealth is more useful than those 2 overall, but it's more expensive. Mind control alone can give you the "all crew dead" bonus against any ships that can't hurt you. Just keep mind controlling the guy with the most health until there's only 1 guy left, then shoot his room. Usually, he will die before the ship explodes.

This can even work when the ship has a medbay since the mind controlled guy can't use it, but it can't be frustrating trying to time it right.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Mind Control may be of limited use sometimes, but there's pretty much never a situation where hacking isn't at least as useful as stealth, unless you're out of drone parts. At the very least against stage one of the flagship, if you get hacked in a bad spot you can counterhack immediately rather than having to take a beating as you charge up to escape.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
A defense drone on the enemy ship completely shuts down hacking unless its a def 2 or you have some missile weapon to distract the defense 1 drone. At least if you cant get through the shields reliably.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Morphix posted:

Thank you!

Is the save editor in the op?

e guess not, ill look through the official forums

Right here:

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10959

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I just lost an Engi C run to a refueling platform. That's one of the most cruel defeats I've had in this game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Renegret posted:

*This is on normal though because I'm too proud to play any game on easy mode :shobon:

Before the enhanced edition, Easy was really Normal, and Normal was really Hard.

Now that Hard is a real difficulty, I guess we can call it Nightmare difficulty. Don't be ashamed of starting on """""""""Easy"""""""""

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Node posted:

Before the enhanced edition, Easy was really Normal, and Normal was really Hard.

Now that Hard is a real difficulty, I guess we can call it Nightmare difficulty. Don't be ashamed of starting on """""""""Easy"""""""""

If they renamed it "Normal" and "Hard" then I would've done it.

And right now I'm terrified of Hard mode

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
I can't get an Engi C run going no matter what I do.

I really want to like the ship. Hacking and beams? Great! Except I have to expend a ton of drone parts just to survive, and even then I'm taking a beating. By the time I reach sector three my drone parts and health are low. Even if I find a drone recovery arm I'm too poor to afford it, and I'm still hemorrhaging drone parts with hacking.

The ship has weak weapons too, so it takes 40 scrap to upgrade it to level two. I can't afford to buy a new weapon and an upgrade both, and even if I'm lucky and find a weapon it comes at the expense of level two shields or an engine boost. Level two hacking + default weapons is good enough for the first few sectors, but then we're back to using 2+ drones per battle.

Has anyone had any luck with Engi C on either normal or hard? :ohdear:

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I have been going through unlocking C Class ships, basically dropping everything in cloak, engines and shields and running the last couple of sectors to 8. Imagine my surprise in I had never unlocked Mantis B! It's driving me crazy to, to be a warlike race the A ship starts out incredibly weak, and having to board at the beginning means I lose crew members if I am not paying super close attention. I got the "kill last crewmember with your last crewmember" achievement but the other 2 have eluded me so far.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pez posted:

I have been going through unlocking C Class ships, basically dropping everything in cloak, engines and shields and running the last couple of sectors to 8. Imagine my surprise in I had never unlocked Mantis B! It's driving me crazy to, to be a warlike race the A ship starts out incredibly weak, and having to board at the beginning means I lose crew members if I am not paying super close attention. I got the "kill last crewmember with your last crewmember" achievement but the other 2 have eluded me so far.

The "kill 5 people in a single fight" is guaranteed if you board in the late sectors.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I just bought a Beam Drone II and it doesn't seem to be doing anything more than a Beam I. The laser seems like it has at most the same length and duration, does 1 damage per room, and moves slower than the Beam I, so fewer shots. What the hell?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I just bought a Beam Drone II and it doesn't seem to be doing anything more than a Beam I. The laser seems like it has at most the same length and duration, does 1 damage per room, and moves slower than the Beam I, so fewer shots. What the hell?

Does it pierce a single shield? I don't use drones that much, but it sounds like it would be a halberd beam as opposed to the minibeam on the mk I.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

OAquinas posted:

Does it pierce a single shield? I don't use drones that much, but it sounds like it would be a halberd beam as opposed to the minibeam on the mk I.

No, it's only one damage. I can't figure that drone out either.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

my dad posted:

The "kill 5 people in a single fight" is guaranteed if you board in the late sectors.

There are also events that consist of nothing but intruders, this includes up to 5 intruders at once. You're bound to get it sooner or later so don't worry.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Glaive beam is not to be scoffed at. Won a Mantis C run using only a Flak II and a Glaive beam, plus a Pre-igniter. I actually had a 4 mantis boarding party but it proved to be pointless because that combo tore through the final boss. The first beam hit would destroy missile, 2nd beam hit would destroy laser or whatever else was on my nerves, and the third would end it.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Does the Zoltan Shield Bypass thingie bypass the Flagship's shields? Wanna mind control me some missile gunners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Does the Zoltan Shield Bypass thingie bypass the Flagship's shields? Wanna mind control me some missile gunners.

Yes it does.

• Locked thread