Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's just pulling stuff out of nets, guv! I mean, what the gently caress kind of work is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

"Fishing: not a proper job"

- Larry_Mullet, author of Pyramids: Aliens did 'em

"Taking whats not yours to take then selling it: a proper job"

- KKKLean Energy, author of A Scrumpers guide to Orchard maintenance"

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Not pictured - the colour of his trousers

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Larry_Mullet posted:

Nothing is anyone's. It's all the earth's. Therefore we should give up the ghost, not eat anything, and die. Try not to die anywhere that may not be ours, though, which as we've previously established is everywhere.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
What the gently caress is that Pat Sharp?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Pissflaps posted:

You don't need to to be fair: recipes are not copyrightable and therefore freely found online.

Good point well made.

Also that mullet is loving hilarious

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
My bank just froze my account to perform a fraud check because they're afraid the credit to my account from a refund after I changed card details may be fraudulent.

Is it hard to write an exception to their system saying "if it's all refunds, it's probably legit" or are they being loving morons? Either way I'm sure my landlady will be delighted at rent being late.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Try not to die anywhere that may not be ours, though, which as we've previously established is everywhere.

Dying on regular soil is fine, the ground will reabsorb your nitrates and other stuff like carbon and calcium, and use it for plant food, restoring some life for that which you took. :hippy:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

SybilVimes posted:

Dying on regular soil is fine, the ground will reabsorb your nitrates and other stuff like carbon and calcium, and use it for plant food, restoring some life for that which you took. :hippy:

Plebs die in the dirt, good sorts have sky burials.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

My bank just froze my account to perform a fraud check because they're afraid the credit to my account from a refund after I changed card details may be fraudulent.

Is it hard to write an exception to their system saying "if it's all refunds, it's probably legit" or are they being loving morons? Either way I'm sure my landlady will be delighted at rent being late.

Refunds are often used in money laundering schemes - if the refund has come from an account that you have not paid stuff to (fairly common, unfortunately) and is "unusually large" (both of those words being very much up for definition of course) then yes, it does count as suspicious activity.

If the freeze causes you any financial hardship then you should be able to get that refunded by the bank, within reason.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Refunds are often used in money laundering schemes - if the refund has come from an account that you have not paid stuff to (fairly common, unfortunately) and is "unusually large" (both of those words being very much up for definition of course) then yes, it does count as suspicious activity.

If the freeze causes you any financial hardship then you should be able to get that refunded by the bank, within reason.

£32 from a parcel that I returned!

I'm pretty pissed at how ridiculous they are. They've never frozen my accounts when I suddenly wake up in a different country and start spending there, but god forbid an obvious refund happens (this is not the first time.)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SybilVimes posted:

But it's not ours. I guess we're some sort of foreign, alien invaders but we've got absolutely no claim to anything at all on this planet because of reasons.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

glitchkrieg posted:

Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? "No", says Jeremy Hunt, "it all soaks into your mullet".

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012

Ddraig posted:

But it's not ours. I guess we're some sort of foreign, alien invaders but we've got absolutely no claim to anything at all on this planet because of reasons.

you're a real fuckhead mate

Edit for content: It is ours; it's everybodies, not just the person with the boat.

Larry_Mullet fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 16, 2014

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

glitchkrieg posted:

Holy poo poo. As terrible archive photos go, that's almost as bad as Richard Littlejohn's leather daddy phase. Still, having seen that, I'll never again worry that I look stupid in photographs, so cheers Jeremy.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Larry_Mullet posted:

What about mining?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
There's plenty more fish in the sea.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jeremy Hunt looks more like a human being there than he does now though

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Tragically, it's not real.

I wanted to believe.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Larry_Mullet posted:

Edit for content: It is ours; it's everybodies, not just the person with the boat.

So fishermen shouldn't be paid for the time and labour it takes to get the fish from the ocean to the fishmarket/shop/restaurant?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Larry_Mullet posted:

you could have made the point about the need to halt overfishing and move immediately to sustainable catching a liiittle bit better.

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012

hookerbot 5000 posted:

What about mining?

Same deal, this isn't a revolutionary statement is it? I thought it was a pretty commonly held belief that since it is just something that's in the ground that we all had no part in creating then it's not ethical for one person to extract it then sell it all back to us at a profit.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

£32 from a parcel that I returned!

I'm pretty pissed at how ridiculous they are. They've never frozen my accounts when I suddenly wake up in a different country and start spending there, but god forbid an obvious refund happens (this is not the first time.)

Oh well gently caress em then. Make sure you make as much noise as possible about it, you might get some free poo poo out of it at least.

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012

Puntification posted:

So fishermen shouldn't be paid for the time and labour it takes to get the fish from the ocean to the fishmarket/shop/restaurant?

It should be a nationalised industry that's run in order to benefit public health, not a free for all whereby companies are literally encouraged by market forces to overfish to extinction boy howdy what a wacko I am!

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Larry_Mullet posted:

Same deal, this isn't a revolutionary statement is it? I thought it was a pretty commonly held belief that since it is just something that's in the ground that we all had no part in creating then it's not ethical for one person to extract it then sell it all back to us at a profit.

There's nothing stopping you from going out and catching your fish yourself, what you pay for is the convenience of someone else doing it for you. Fishing is a pretty difficult and dangerous job, I wouldn't want to do it.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Larry_Mullet posted:

It should be a nationalised industry that's run in order to benefit public health, not a free for all whereby companies are literally encouraged by market forces to overfish to extinction boy howdy what a wacko I am!

I'd agree with that but it's not actually the argument you presented.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Right, but until then it literally is a free-for-all, what with it being everybodies (theoretically). It just so happens they have a boat, the means to catch them, and are doing so.

I guess if I really wanted to, I could get a boat and go out and catch my own fish and what have you, as could everyone, but we've got people who are doing that for us, because we actually want to eat fish, and most of us really don't want to go on a fishing boat to catch it ourselves.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Spangly A posted:

you could have made the point about the need to halt overfishing and move immediately to sustainable catching a liiittle bit better.

Yeah seriously, was I really expected to extrapolate from "extracting resources from the environment isn't a proper job, i mean really the poo poo is just lying about in the sea/in the ground where's the effort" to "Nationalise everything, I'm a communist"?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

XMNN posted:

I wanted to believe.

Nooo my immersion

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

People just need to man up and get used to eating tilapia and other easily farmed fish than eating your plague ridden cod and haddock. Seriously, the amount of parasites that feed on (and in) cod and haddock are disgusting.

But yeah overfishing sucks but thanks to capitalism it is never going to go away until the oceans are basically a giant cesspool where companies can easily dump their chemical waste.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

XMNN posted:

I wanted to believe.
If anyone brings this up, just tell them that this is the photoshop and the Hunt picture is the original.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The Mumsnet Heartbleed hack was pretty funny

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Umiapik posted:

I'd eat a human burger, 'cos gently caress humans. Useless, bumbling, piebald, so-called sapients that are too thick to work out how to get along with each other. Sooner they go extinct the better.

Pandas own also fish/water food is gross

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 16, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here but I'd broadly agree on both counts. Humans, by and large, are loving useless. As are pandas. Neither have a more worthwhile stake on the planet, given that pretty much both our respective situations are entirely brought about by chance.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Farecoal posted:

Pandas own also fish/water food is gross

We know exactly how to get along with each other, but nobody has yet managed to conquer a global empire.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pissflaps posted:

There's plenty more fish in the sea.

lol :smith:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

if the metaphor holds then by over-sexing we risk wiping out the female population

I'm going to write an MRA blog about this.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If you recall that certain social models automatically exclude non-virginal women from the pool of "people I want to get with", then yeah, that's a thing that's already been done. :reddit::japan:

bob holness paradox
Aug 22, 2009

ceci n'est pas un presentateur

Umiapik posted:

I'd eat a panda burger, 'cos gently caress pandas. Useless, bumbling, piebald, so-called bears that are too thick to work out how to have sex with each other most of the time. Sooner they go extinct the better.

Pandas are going extinct primarily because of habitat loss and know how to have sex just fine in the wild. Pandas own. Nationalise pandas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Ddraig posted:

I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here but I'd broadly agree on both counts. Humans, by and large, are loving useless. As are pandas. Neither have a more worthwhile stake on the planet, given that pretty much both our respective situations are entirely brought about by chance.

I wasn't really trying to make a point other than that calling any animal useless is dumb as poo poo, but I've heard the panda one before and it just annoys me the most

• Locked thread