Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Doltos posted:

Well yes but also the fact that he's even being considered as a draft eligible QB also makes him pretty great at football. AJ does quite a lot of things well, he just isn't exceptionally great. Teams burning a 2nd or 3rd on him isn't out of the realm of possibility and doesn't automatically drat him to career backup.

Are we really going to have to put a "compared to his peers" disclaimer any time we call a player lovely to avoid this dumb crap? Yes, if I were trying to play pickup football as a WR and some undrafted practice squad nobody was covering me, I'd be on UDFA Island. So what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
dont call players bad, because, they're good actually

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Whenever I see that State Farm commercial with Patick Willis it makes me think about those guys playing pickup with regular Joes.

I'd imagine it'd be even worse than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AhUZpnFK-w

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

Are we really going to have to put a "compared to his peers" disclaimer any time we call a player lovely to avoid this dumb crap? Yes, if I were trying to play pickup football as a WR and some undrafted practice squad nobody was covering me, I'd be on UDFA Island. So what?

Well calling someone bad at football because of their draft grade is pretty silly. Hell, even watching the tape on McCarron and calling him bad is a disservice. Bad is just a bad term, it tells you nothing about the prospect.

If you want to say McCarron is bad because he has a weak long ball, drops his eyes when his first read doesn't work out, likes to throw off his back foot, and floats passes past 20 yards, then fine. You can also say McCarron is good because he game managed a team to four successful seasons, hits his passing rhythm quickly, throws timing routes well and accurately, and is a decent enough athlete. I think either side of the coin is equally valid and both are far superior than saying a prospect is "good" or "bad" in a useless post.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
AJ is bad relative to his peers because he looks like a slightly shinier version of the turds Bama puts in at QB

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Doltos posted:

Well calling someone bad at football because of their draft grade is pretty silly. Hell, even watching the tape on McCarron and calling him bad is a disservice. Bad is just a bad term, it tells you nothing about the prospect.

If you want to say McCarron is bad because he has a weak long ball, drops his eyes when his first read doesn't work out, likes to throw off his back foot, and floats passes past 20 yards, then fine. You can also say McCarron is good because he game managed a team to four successful seasons, hits his passing rhythm quickly, throws timing routes well and accurately, and is a decent enough athlete. I think either side of the coin is equally valid and both are far superior than saying a prospect is "good" or "bad" in a useless post.

holy poo poo

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Doltos posted:

At this point you have now disappeared completely up your own rear end.

I never get tired of watching Greg Jones truck people.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

Your next point should be that none of us can criticize Greg Schiano because we haven't coached a football team, so who are we to judge.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Oh wow, that's bad if you guys took that from the post. I'm saying evaluate a prospect based on what he shows instead of rehashing the same "He's bad" crap over and over but sure, say my head's up my rear end and continue to contribute nothing to the thread.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Your next point should be that none of us can criticize Greg Schiano because we haven't coached a football team, so who are we to judge.

Assuming there is a list that can be made for "Greg Schiano is a good NFL coach because:", then yeah, that could be his next point.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

Oh wow, that's bad if you guys took that from the post. I'm saying evaluate a prospect based on what he shows instead of rehashing the same "He's bad" crap over and over but sure, say my head's up my rear end and continue to contribute nothing to the thread.

We aren't just parroting his draft grade. We are using "bad" as shorthand so that we don't have to type out a god drat essay just to say that we are not interested in having a certain player on our team.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I didn't see anything wrong with Doltos' post.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chichevache posted:

We aren't just parroting his draft grade. We are using "bad" as shorthand so that we don't have to type out a god drat essay just to say that we are not interested in having a certain player on our team.

I see very little discussion about what a prospect is actually good at. Hell one time Quest for Glory posted a great write up on Bortles and everyone ignored it in favor of bickering about where Bortles would get picked. All I'm asking is to actually talk about a prospect instead of automatically knee-jerking because the guy has a douche tattoo.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

I see very little discussion about what a prospect is actually good at. Hell one time Quest for Glory posted a great write up on Bortles and everyone ignored it in favor of bickering about where Bortles would get picked. All I'm asking is to actually talk about a prospect instead of automatically knee-jerking because the guy has a douche tattoo.

And what is wrong with discussing where Bortles will be drafted?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

I mean... like Nick Foles' Helmullet, there's things I don't want to have to stare at for 16+ games every year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chichevache posted:

And what is wrong with discussing where Bortles will be drafted?

Because it stretches for pages upon pages and is usually full of misinformed or under-informed opinions gleaned from Rotoworld blurbs. Scouting the draft isn't hard, I just wish some of you guys would put more effort into it. Watch a piece of game tape or two, form your own opinions, talk about what the prospect actually does instead of the media consensus on him.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Doltos posted:

Because it stretches for pages upon pages and is usually full of misinformed or under-informed opinions gleaned from Rotoworld blurbs. Scouting the draft isn't hard, I just wish some of you guys would put more effort into it. Watch a piece of game tape or two, form your own opinions, talk about what the prospect actually does instead of the media consensus on him.

So your problem is that we are uninformed, not what we actually choose to discuss? What does any of this have to do with your dumb statement that started this whole discussion?

Doltos posted:

He won't light the world on fire but he's hardly lovely at football. McCarron would be the best QB we've ever seen if he played a game of pickup with us.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Doltos posted:

People are going to get all pissed because it's Doltos, but I actually agree. It would be more interesting to see more effort posts.

I would do effort posts if I knew what I was actually looking for. If someone explained how to break down different positions that would be really cool.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chichevache posted:

So your problem is that we are uninformed, not what we actually choose to discuss? What does any of this have to do with your dumb statement that started this whole discussion?

That's not a dumb statement and is actually a pretty true one? Especially considering I was responding to this:

Groucho Marxist posted:

The thing that concerns me the most over AJ is his being lovely at football

But yes, I'm sorry for asking for you guys to show a little bit more effort in your posting.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Whole bunch of dudes getting upset about another dude asking for better post quality ITT.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ehud posted:

People are going to get all pissed because it's Doltos, but I actually agree. It would be more interesting to see more effort posts.

I would do effort posts if I knew what I was actually looking for. If someone explained how to break down different positions that would be really cool.

Effort posts are great, but we should also keep in mind that this is a comedy forum on the internet where the discussion is between a bunch of individuals who have, at most, some high school experience with the occasional college player. Effort posts are awesome and we all love to read them, but expecting everyone to post a Jon Gruden level breakdown of every players is a pretty unreal expectation. Most of us just want to chill a little, goof off, and talk about beerbbqfootball.

Dattserberg posted:

Whole bunch of dudes getting upset about another dude asking for better post quality ITT.

Please don't just use bad terms like "better post quality" without defining them better. Any one of us is a better poster than a Reddit or team forum poster. Instead critique our posts on things like our weak jokes, grammar, or lack of length.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 16, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Effort posts are great, but we should also keep in mind that this is a comedy forum on the internet where the discussion is between a bunch of individuals who have, at most, some high school experience with the occasional college player. Effort posts are awesome and we all love to read them, but expecting everyone to post a Jon Gruden level breakdown of every players is a pretty unreal expectation. Most of us just want to chill a little, goof off, and talk about beerbbqfootball.

I want to see a series of parody Jon Gruden breakdowns. It would probably suck without his authentic Ohioan drawl.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I see both points being pretty valid. I do like the effort posts and lord knows it's nice to talk to someone who doesn't just change his "opinion" based on nfl network that day

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The annoying thing is people making no effort posts that aren't funny. This is a place for discussion AND comedy, but if you're not being funny then post some interesting info like Doltos or just stick to reading.

Don't hide behind the comedy excuse for your low effort posts, and drat you for making me defend 1) a giants fan and 2) doltos.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
AJ and his jetski scrambled brains will be bad in the NFL because I don't think I've never seen him make any NFL level throws to his super talented offense that gives him everything in the world to work with. I saw this while actually watching college football and not youtube highlights. RoDo emptyquote this

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Chichevache posted:

Please don't just use bad terms like "better post quality" without defining them better. Any one of us is a better poster than a Reddit or team forum poster. Instead critique our posts on things like our weak jokes, grammar, or lack of length.

Lol, gently caress you Chiche

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Chichevache posted:

Yes yes I see. I know I came off as a dick and I apologize, I could have asked for the effort posts in a better fashion. I'm not asking for Jon Gruden level breakdowns but this:

Groucho Marxist posted:

AJ and his jetski scrambled brains will be bad in the NFL because I don't think I've never seen him make any NFL level throws to his super talented offense that gives him everything in the world to work with. I saw this while actually watching college football and not youtube highlights. RoDo emptyquote this

Is at least better than this:

Groucho Marxist posted:

The thing that concerns me the most over AJ is his being lovely at football

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
AJ McCarron is the best game manager going to the NFL this year and doesn't throw floaty Manning ducks so I think he'll be fine personally.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
The problem I have with that is that i'm way more interested in where players will get drafted than what their career prospects are. like it doesn't matter to me what anybody's personal "grade" on a player is, mcshay or kiper or whoever, because what actually matters more is where they're going to be picked. also i loving love jokes

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Chichevache posted:

Scouting report on Chiche's funny posting

Throws a good spiral when given a good clean lead up, but struggles when conditions aren't perfect and tends to force the joke more often than not, which can lead to probations. Needs to learn to sometimes throw the joke away or accept defeat. Checkdown and set up the joke for someone else. Occasionally gets self righteous about jokes on the internet, character red flag?

Probably a 4th rounder. Has talent, but seems to refuse to put it all together. Should probably sit for a few years.

NFL Comparison: Ryan Tannehil

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 16, 2014

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
I think this period of absolutely nothing happening is making us go crazy.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
I think Doltos is a strong second round pick in the TFF draft.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I honestly I haven't paid that much attention to McCarron because Bama always had far more interesting players to focus on, but from what I've seen I don't think he has the arm to really succeed as an NFL QB right now. Daltos mentioned in his post that he has a weak long ball and his passes float. First game I can think of offhand is that 2012 loss to Texas A&M. Alabama could have won that game had McCarron been able to complete a couple of long passes where the receiver got wide open behind the defense. Not every QB has a Stafford cannon arm, but I think McCarron's arm is below whatever sort of threshold I feel's needed for a QB. I can see a team taking him mid-late in the draft and hope that an emphasis on fixing his mechanics helps him get some more zip on his passes, but I wouldn't want to see a team I root for spend a first or second day pick on him.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Ehud posted:

He hit too close to home on some of the people getting upset

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
@nfldraftscout: I'm told UCF RB Storm Johnson's visit with the 49ers went very well.

So... there's that. Smokescreen or not, I would not be at all surprised to see the Niners draft an RB this year.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

Scouting report on Chiche's funny posting

Throws a good spiral when given a good clean lead up, but struggles when conditions aren't perfect and tends to force the joke more often than not, which can lead to probations. Needs to learn to sometimes throw the joke away or accept defeat. Checkdown and set up the joke for someone else. Occasionally gets self righteous about jokes on the internet, character red flag?

Probably a 4th rounder. Has talent, but seems to refuse to put it all together. Should probably sit for a few years.

NFL Comparison: Ryan Tannehil

:laffo:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Gruden's QB camp with Manziel was really entertaining last night, he was pretty brutal with him about him not passing to his checkdowns and keeping his RB in pass protection too often when other defenses were just trying to keep him in the pocket and not rush him.

He also went through each of his major and minor injuries and showed him how poorly he played in the next game or two, and also showed him the open receivers that he missed when he was scrambling and got lit up.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

@nfldraftscout: I'm told UCF RB Storm Johnson's visit with the 49ers went very well.

So... there's that. Smokescreen or not, I would not be at all surprised to see the Niners draft an RB this year.

Smokescreen. They have a rehabbed lattimore, frank gore, Kendall hunter, and also that other guy who is probably getting cut

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
They kept 4 RBs on roster last year, though. If James is really gone then it wouldn't be that surprising to see them bring another guy as insurance in case Gore finally gets hit by a terminal case of the old/Lattimore's knee is still hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
So in regards to the chat about Andre Williams earlier, how is he as a blocker? I can't find any tape on YouTube of him being used in pass protection at all.

• Locked thread