Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Taffer posted:

Well, he was on an elite interstellar strike team for like 8 years, you would hope he could fight pretty well after all that.

Well yeah...but better than an entire security team comprised of trained military dudes? Maybe he has a side job as a cage fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Nullsmack posted:

Rewatching Atlantis since I got a good deal on the DVDs a while back. What a great show. Universe was a bad idea. Atlantis could've gone for 10 seasons if they didn't pull the carpet out from under it to go off and make the atrocity called SGU.
The last episodes of SG-1 and Atlantis were both a bit wanky. Kinda hard to follow when Earth suddenly has super asgard technology and "Wormhole drive".

It's what happens when a show doesn't get renewed and everyone finds out halfway through what becomes the last season's production and filming. Didn't they all think that SG1 Season 8 was going to be the last one too, but it got picked up again, which is why they had to basically shoehorn the Ori for the last two seasons? From Atlantis's ending, it seemed like they had some big plans for season 6, but they were never realized, and they can't even get an Atlantis movie to bring closure.

If SG1 could have been guaranteed another 3-4 seasons after season 8, and give Atlantis a guaranteed 6th of 7th season, I'm pretty sure the shows would have been planned out a lot better.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Rah! posted:

Well yeah...but better than an entire security team comprised of trained military dudes? Maybe he has a side job as a cage fighter.

Most security guards spend 99% of their time standing in front of a door waiting for something to happen. Daniel Jackson has killed hundreds of people.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Avulsion posted:

Most security guards spend 99% of their time standing in front of a door waiting for something to happen. Daniel Jackson has killed hundreds of people.

Well I guess it's no surprise that Hans Olo is a master at kicking rear end. Just imagine the damage he could do with Chuebawkka at his side. :downsrim:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 16, 2014

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Rah! posted:

Well I guess it's no surprise that Hans Olo is a master at kicking rear end. Just imagine the damage he could do with Chuebawkka at his side. :downsrim:

Chulakka

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I have it on good authority that MGM absolutely hates Stargate for some reason so we aren't getting anything new probably ever.

Aren't Emmerich and Devlin making sequels to the movie?

EDIT: maybe http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/roland-emmerich-planning-elaborate-reboot-sequel-trilogy-for-stargate-20130906

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 16, 2014

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

They have, but I think it's pretty similar to the Ghostbusters 3 situation: they've been talking about it for years that it's going to happen, but it likely never will.

I sure hope I'm wrong though!

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

vandelay industries posted:

They have, but I think it's pretty similar to the Ghostbusters 3 situation: they've been talking about it for years that it's going to happen, but it likely never will.

I sure hope I'm wrong though!

Not including the fact that from what I recall about the reboots, they want to wipe the slate clean of everything from the series. Like, it would directly follow the original Stargate movie (with Kurt Russell and James Spader) and completely bypass SG1, Atlantis and Universe (for good or for bad).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mcswizzle posted:

Not including the fact that from what I recall about the reboots, they want to wipe the slate clean of everything from the series. Like, it would directly follow the original Stargate movie (with Kurt Russell and James Spader) and completely bypass SG1, Atlantis and Universe (for good or for bad).

Yeah, but he's also been crowing about it for 20 years, it's never going to happen.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Emmerich has been talking about this since the beginning of time, never gonna happen.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

I thought Independence Day was supposed to be a Stargate sequel?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Instant Sunrise posted:

I thought Independence Day was supposed to be a Stargate sequel?

Captain Steven Hiller. Two Ls.

Bean Head
Feb 22, 2014
I don't think a reboot of the TV series is entirely necessary, maybe they should move on to new characters, new stories and plot devices. A remake of the movie could be good so long as they don't go all J.J Abrams on it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Bean Head posted:

I don't think a reboot of the TV series is entirely necessary, maybe they should move on to new characters, new stories and plot devices. A remake of the movie could be good so long as they don't go all J.J Abrams on it.

The Ender's Shadow route is viable as well.

They could follow a different Stargate team during the same timeline. Maybe taking on smaller system lords or enemies other than the Goa'uld. Maybe then moving on to the Lucian Alliance later on, or other groups that snag up the power vacuum as SG1 takes out various Goa'uld.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Floppychop posted:

The Ender's Shadow route is viable as well.

They could follow a different Stargate team during the same timeline. Maybe taking on smaller system lords or enemies other than the Goa'uld. Maybe then moving on to the Lucian Alliance later on, or other groups that snag up the power vacuum as SG1 takes out various Goa'uld.
See, this is exactly why Stargate is ripe for spin-off media, and I'm so surprised it hasn't had a decent video game adaptation. I mean, the most recent were Team Based FPS and an MMO, which both were decent uses of the "universe", I feel, but they never got anywhere near completion.

I might be getting my Stargate games confused - was there a free online FPS and additionally a Single Player/Multi FPS? or were those the same?

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?
There was a failed FPS a few years back that's not available anymore (I believe it was on Steam at one point?) as well as a failed MMO that never saw fruition.

Speaking of which, are there any good Stargate mods out there for any games?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I have been just hurting for a good Stargate RTS to happen for like a decade now. It could work so drat well.

Stupid request when and if it does: Travelers as a faction

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

McGann posted:

See, this is exactly why Stargate is ripe for spin-off media, and I'm so surprised it hasn't had a decent video game adaptation. I mean, the most recent were Team Based FPS and an MMO, which both were decent uses of the "universe", I feel, but they never got anywhere near completion.

I might be getting my Stargate games confused - was there a free online FPS and additionally a Single Player/Multi FPS? or were those the same?

There was a licensed SG-1 game with full voice acting on iOS just less than a year ago, but I wasn't ever able to get it to work, so I can't speak to how good it was. I think it was an adventure game?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Light Gun Man posted:

I have been just hurting for a good Stargate RTS to happen for like a decade now. It could work so drat well.

Stupid request when and if it does: Travelers as a faction

I heard there's a good Stargate mod for Star Wars: Empire at War, might be worth checking out.

As for other Stargate mods, I'm aware of good ones for Crysis, X3, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, Freespace 2, Garry's Mod + Half Life 2, Arma 2, Sins Of A Solar Empire, and a few others.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

McGann posted:

They were the same garbage game that was mired in development hell for years and years that ultimtely came out as some poo poo f2p garbage. Stargate somehow never got a proper game, despite having had multiple (other than the one that came out) in development over the years. There was even that one pretty bad episode where Teal'c was trapped in a VR machine - supposedly the "game" Teal'c was stuck in used assets from the FPS that was in development at the time.

drat shame really, Stargate lends itself so easily to a lot of game genres and especially to procedurally generated/user made/dlc/etc content.

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

Some dude on Reddit apparently has a copy of one of the unfinished games, The Alliance, from the developers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUb_IOajOEo

There's more on the guy's site. He said "It had a lot of promise, but there was a ton left to finish", re: if it was any good.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

...Speaking of which, are there any good Stargate mods out there for any games?

There's a couple of Minecraft mods that provide pieces, but it's still Minecraft, so there's no plot, the same enemies (unlss you also mod the enemies) and you're left to build everything on your own.

But yeah, the advanced portals mod has an optional stargate-like dialing device, and pairing it with Mystcraft can allow the procecdural creation of strange, alien worlds.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey uh, does anyone have that link to a table with the best SG-1/Atlantis episode viewing order? I've got a link to a page on GateWorld that tells you which seasons to watch alongside one another, but I must've forgotten to bookmark the link someone posted ages ago, where it actually has an episode-to-episode list in table format, showing the episode names and precise order you should view them in.

I know it's not all that necessary, but I'm approaching the endings of SG-1 season nine and Atlantis season two, and I remember that last season(s) it did matter a bit as to which order you view the last discs in. So yeah, if anyone knows what I'm referring to (or has something similar) and has a link, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I recently had a power-watch of all of SG1 and the movies, and started up Atlantis. I got to the first episode in Atlantis where the Replicators show up, and couldn't even finish it. Literally every Replicator episode is the same, with the same sounds and the same fights and the same resolution. Why did they keep using them so drat much?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Same reason that original battlestar galactica kept reusing the footage of 2 cylon fighters banking & attacking, or Star Trek keeps reusing the same klingon bird of prey footage......existing stock footage that is already paid for/cheap to reuse.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Hey uh, does anyone have that link to a table with the best SG-1/Atlantis episode viewing order? I've got a link to a page on GateWorld that tells you which seasons to watch alongside one another, but I must've forgotten to bookmark the link someone posted ages ago, where it actually has an episode-to-episode list in table format, showing the episode names and precise order you should view them in.

I know it's not all that necessary, but I'm approaching the endings of SG-1 season nine and Atlantis season two, and I remember that last season(s) it did matter a bit as to which order you view the last discs in. So yeah, if anyone knows what I'm referring to (or has something similar) and has a link, I'd greatly appreciate it!

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/57199-SG-1-Atlantis-Movies-SGU-continuity-and-viewing-order?p=7572836&viewfull=1#post7572836

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ah, thanks! Just what I was after. Now, for the next episode...

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I think the Atlantis Replicators/Asurans at least had a great arc resolution with a shitload of explosions and bombs and a kick-rear end space battle happening.

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption
Insomnia keeping me up. Just watched the last episode of SG1 and Atlantis. It was all I had left on my rewatch of those two. Now I am sad. Indeed.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If it helps there's a channel that shows Farscape 4 hours a day now for some reason.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I heard there's a good Stargate mod for Star Wars: Empire at War, might be worth checking out.

As for other Stargate mods, I'm aware of good ones for Crysis, X3, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident, Freespace 2, Garry's Mod + Half Life 2, Arma 2, Sins Of A Solar Empire, and a few others.

XCom is about as good a Stargate game as you could ever want I feel.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chickenwalker posted:

XCom is about as good a Stargate game as you could ever want I feel.

Alternatively, if you want a spiritual successor to the original X-COM that stays true to the original - just with a cold war vibe - and is a little more 'user friendly' by modern standards (read: resolutions that go higher than three digits, as well as a UI that doesn't suck) I'd probably have to recommend Xenonauts. It's still in Beta so it's not yet finished, but I've found it to be a great re-imagining of X-COM without lowering the difficulty/making it more appealing to the 'mainstream' audience.

As for something a more directly related to Stargate, I just bought season ten of SG-1 (I'm a few eps from the s9 finale, currently) and on the back it says that SG-1 is 'led by Daniel Jackson'. So uh, has the actual team leadership really fallen upon Daniel and Mitchell is no longer team leader, or was that blurb just put together by someone who never watched the show and/or is an idiot?

vandelay industries
Apr 6, 2007

what delay industries?

Major Isoor posted:

As for something a more directly related to Stargate, I just bought season ten of SG-1 (I'm a few eps from the s9 finale, currently) and on the back it says that SG-1 is 'led by Daniel Jackson'. So uh, has the actual team leadership really fallen upon Daniel and Mitchell is no longer team leader, or was that blurb just put together by someone who never watched the show and/or is an idiot?

Mitchell is definitely the leader in Season 10; no idea why that was written. That dude really loves his job.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mitchell is definitely the leader in Season 10; no idea why that was written. That dude really loves his job.

Huh, OK then, I guess they just didn't think to have anyone proof-read anything. (also, what's with Daniel's new glasses? Seems weird to see him change after all these seasons)

Also, does anyone know why there was such an abrupt hand-over from O'Neill to Landry? Like, was there a real-life reason as to why RDA didn't want to/wasn't able to hand over command across an episode or two, and instead just didn't really make an appearance, other than a couple of brief cameos? Or were the writers just unable to come up with something decent/convincing enough as to why Jack would retire then rather than later on? (same goes for SG-1 disbanding at the same time, I guess)

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Major Isoor posted:

Also, does anyone know why there was such an abrupt hand-over from O'Neill to Landry? Like, was there a real-life reason as to why RDA didn't want to/wasn't able to hand over command across an episode or two, and instead just didn't really make an appearance, other than a couple of brief cameos? Or were the writers just unable to come up with something decent/convincing enough as to why Jack would retire then rather than later on? (same goes for SG-1 disbanding at the same time, I guess)

I have no actual facts to back this up, but judging by how increasingly phoned in RDA's appearances were as the show progressed, I'd say it was his own decision.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He wanted to spend more time with his daughter. The last season he was on was due to contract and his heart wasn't in it.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
Just so we're all on the same page, RDA totally phoned in those appearances, and his phoned in appearances were great.

I think Daniel's new glasses was just the producers and/or Shanks being like, "Okay, we're basically a different show, Daniel's a totally different person now, let's get him some reasonable, non-90s glasses." I was listening to the interview after the Big Finish episode "Gift of the Gods" and it was interesting hearing Shanks talk about playing two different Daniels, since one of the episodes in the first BF series is set around season 2-ish and the other is around season 10.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Daniel Jackson could write a dissertation on the P90 gun.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shanks was amazingly badass in Burn Notice.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Vietnamwees posted:

Didn't they all think that SG1 Season 8 was going to be the last one too, but it got picked up again, which is why they had to basically shoehorn the Ori for the last two seasons?

They joke in the commentary track for S9 that it was the first time since like Season 5 that they didn't think they were being canceled. Virtually all the season finales from 6 onward were possible series finales.

"Full Circle" (S6) in particular was supposed to be the end of SG1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Full Circle was the end of the first season on Sci-Fi Channel. You are mistaking seasons 5 and 6.