Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

ComradePyro posted:

re:racism chats I think getting upset at all because someone uses the word "friend of the family" is getting weirdly upset. Oh no, a racial slur, what ever shall we do? Go on with our lives because it will literally not hurt anyone ever and if it does that person probably has a lot bigger problems? No, let's post about it and jerk ourselves off over how dumb everyone else is and how offensive this is. Thus the PTA meeting comparison. Someone has a childish sense of humor and because it's racism it's a big deal. If his AWP had been named the Baby Juicer nobody would have noticed, but because white people like to imagine some little black kid's facial expression going from a Gleeful Gaming Smile to kind of sad and discouraged when they see the word friend of the family it's a huge issue. It's dumb.

Do you really consider the words "friend of the family" and "baby" to have comparable connotations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

ComradePyro posted:

The language is a tad aggressive/dramatic is all.

re:racism chats I think getting upset at all because someone uses the word "friend of the family" is getting weirdly upset. Oh no, a racial slur, what ever shall we do? Go on with our lives because it will literally not hurt anyone ever and if it does that person probably has a lot bigger problems? No, let's post about it and jerk ourselves off over how dumb everyone else is and how offensive this is. Thus the PTA meeting comparison. Someone has a childish sense of humor and because it's racism it's a big deal. If his AWP had been named the Baby Juicer nobody would have noticed, but because white people like to imagine some little black kid's facial expression going from a Gleeful Gaming Smile to kind of sad and discouraged when they see the word friend of the family it's a huge issue. It's dumb.

All I am getting from this is that everyone should put up with some retard's bullshit sense of humor but can't say any of their own words about what they think. Why can't we say "i'm tired of idiots doing unfunny things" when it is brought to our attention? It is 2014 and when you decide to make an ironic racist statement like spending money to name your videogame rifle "friend of the family juicer" and use it in an event people watch, many of those people are going to point out how bad and dumb you are as a human being for thinking it is funny.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
No, but I don't really think killing babies is not as bad as racism.

quote:

All I am getting from this is that everyone should put up with some retard's bullshit sense of humor but can't say any of their own words about what they think.
Sounds like projection to me. All I've gotten from this thread is HE SHOULD BE PUNISHED FOR HIS HEINOUS CRIME. It's a tasteless joke, get on with your lives, that's all I'm saying. It was a non event made into an event and I think that is dumb.

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 16, 2014

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
lol friend of the family juicer

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

ComradePyro posted:

re:racism chats I think getting upset at all because someone uses the word "friend of the family" is getting weirdly upset.

Everyone posting about the awp named "friend of the family juicer" was mostly discussing that it's pretty terrible that that guy gets paid to play CS:GO in a public setting and has corporate sponsors, and that the sponsors should probably drop him and/or his team for being an idiot. And then the guy got dropped from his team and everybody said "lol rip".

also I'm not white hth (I'm not black either)

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

Jeza posted:

I'd be interested to see what you're talking about, because I can't think of a single top player who uses more than about 800 DPI. Pretty much certainly none over 2k.

This is the main entry point for mouse movement: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/source-sdk-2013/blob/f56bb35301836e56582a575a75864392a0177875/mp/src/game/client/in_mouse.cpp#L647

But you really kinda have to look at the whole file to see how the various parameters (sensitivity, m_rawinput, m_mousespeed, m_customaccel, etc.), command line args (-useforcedmparms, -noforcemspd, -noforcemaccel) and everything affect movement.

There may not be much of an advantage in having 8200dpi 1000hz, but it certainly doesn't negatively affect aiming ability as far as I can ascertain.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

ComradePyro posted:

Sounds like projection to me. All I've gotten from this thread is HE SHOULD BE PUNISHED FOR HIS HEINOUS CRIME. It's a tasteless joke, get in with your lives, that's all I'm saying. It was a non event made into an event and I think that is dumb.

The only reason we're still talking about it is because people like you keep going "gosh, what's the big deal here, guys?"

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Here have a new derail:

What is everyone's favorite music to warm-up/DM to? Mine is kpop obviously!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

astr0man posted:

Here have a new derail:

Anime soundtracks

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Jesus Christ shut this thread down

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Jeza posted:

I'd be interested to see what you're talking about, because I can't think of a single top player who uses more than about 800 DPI. Pretty much certainly none over 2k.

Here is a crappy link with a bunch of dated information. Search 1.5 to get to the DPI/mouse sens section. AFAIK, most people agree that there can be a difference between using 400dpi and 1600 dpi, but anything over that is not noticeable. It can depend on what sens you are at and what resolution you run at and other things as well. But there wouldn't be any harm to using a high DPI and a lower mouse sens if it results in the same overall sens.

http://www.overclock.net/t/173255/cs-s-mouse-optimization-guide

nerve posted:

Jesus Christ shut this thread down

Seems to me that plenty of the people posting in thread aren't having a problem with the discussion. Maybe the problem is you, and not the people in the thread who seems to be fine with the posting. You could always just, you know, not open this thread if it bothers you so much. Otherwise, it really just looks like "PEOPLE ARE POSTING, AND I DON'T LIKE IT!!!"

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 16, 2014

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
E: y'know what this was a bad idea

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Unbound posted:

I'm Flashbang!
I think I vaguely remember the name, you should come play more. I'd be interested to spec you and see what it looks like when you play.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Where are you supposed to play from when holding B solo on Mirage? I can't get up to Van in time to stop a flat rush, and I'm likely to get shot out while jumping up if T's had a good spawn. Playing Bench is not too bad but it's the first spot checked and I'm very likely to get smoked off. Playing near Connector is where I tend to play now, but I find that I'm often missing T's sticking to the right wall of Apartments while pushing out and I'm basically just giving up the site once one of them gets out to Van. I also don't really have anywhere to retreat to from there.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
i have crouch bound to mouse2.

everybody post your most unorthodox keybind :downs:

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

CancerStick posted:

bind enter sm_ready # mash enter when you get into goonmans and you'll ready up as fast as possible

bind "\" "incrementvar voice_scale 0 1 0.5" # toggle soft mute, quiet, and full volume for voice chat

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

CancerStick posted:

bind q "say Seriously Fantastic, you are one of the most annoying people I have to deal with in real life or on the internet. Congratulations."

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

IT BEGINS posted:

Where are you supposed to play from when holding B solo on Mirage?

If you're playing B solo, staying alive and buying time for your team to rotate is more important than denying a plant.

For example, play near Van or Bench and take a few shots as they exit Apts. Then back off. Either stay alive by retreating toward kitchen and wait for backup (gently caress it, let them plant but stay alive), or buy time by running around the site playing ring around the rosie (gently caress it, stay alive but risk dying to delay a plant).

RadioPassive fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 16, 2014

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
bind mouse1 "quit"

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
I use all default binds except I switched crouch to c.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

CancerStick posted:

By the time I started playing CS I was doing everything standard, but the first mouselook FPS I ever played was Rainbow Six, so for a while whenever I played an FPS I had to re-bind the controls. I don't remember the exact details, but it was goofy poo poo. Like mouse2 was walk forward for example.

This was back in Russia and all the Ivans at the poverty Internet cafe would make fun of me when I had to spend 5 minutes redefining my controls to play Quake 2

Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

CancerStick posted:

We need dave to post his keyboard layout.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Coleman posted:

I think I vaguely remember the name, you should come play more. I'd be interested to spec you and see what it looks like when you play.

I'll be sure too. I enjoy the games I play with you guys. The maps are weird looking, due to being from older games, but they are essentially the same.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

astr0man posted:

Here have a new derail:

For real, I always keep an album playing muted and a global hotkey for turning it up during spectates. The other night I had amazing synergy basically getting high as hell and playing Downtown with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BvMn2ZPG1Q

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

astr0man posted:

Here have a new derail:

amon amarth or bust

Coleman
May 5, 2011

IT BEGINS posted:

Where are you supposed to play from when holding B solo on Mirage? I can't get up to Van in time to stop a flat rush, and I'm likely to get shot out while jumping up if T's had a good spawn. Playing Bench is not too bad but it's the first spot checked and I'm very likely to get smoked off. Playing near Connector is where I tend to play now, but I find that I'm often missing T's sticking to the right wall of Apartments while pushing out and I'm basically just giving up the site once one of them gets out to Van. I also don't really have anywhere to retreat to from there.
There's a lot of options when playing B on mirage. It actually is one of the easier sites to hold solo, (kind of like dust2 in that way, B can be held by one person pretty effectively).

If you have a spawn that's closer to kitchen, try to get up to balcony, or at the very least on van. (Knife out all the way, pistol the window open, straight through the site and quick jumping can get you on balcony).

If you have a further back spawn, then you have more options. You can play from "under" balcony, hope they come out and your spot isn't the first one they check. You can play a sort of more sneaky variant of the van, which is on the barrel on the side of the van, they can't always see you coming down halls, but if you stand up you can get a few good shots off before they can react after they've "cleared" van.

You can play from headshot, not to call out kcer, but one of his favorite moves is throwing a smoke so it lands sort of, in between the corner of the bombsite closest to van, and the van itself, then he plays deep headshot. It forces people to either come all the way around through the site (at which time, kcer has already called for backup and has the mid guy in kitchen probably), or at the very least they have to come around/through smoke where he has the advantage.

If your aim is good and quick, you can play behind the boxes in the site, give yourself just a small gap in the window of, and pick heads as they come running across.

You can play right under the window, force people to jump out window to get you, this is a good "beginner" position, I think, because you can shoot at them while they're jumping out window flying through the air, which means their aim will go everywhere, but yours should be right on target.

And lastly, if you're not comfortable playing B solo, ask your mid guy to play mid from catwalk. This does a couple of things, 1: if he gets to cat quickly, he can hear guys running through B apps, and he can call that there are guys there so you can be extra ready with your nades, and 2: it gives you really quick backup should they rush you.

Solo B spots should usually be reserved for one of the better players on the team, because they do require you to be able to stop a rush and get a kill or two while your team is trying to rotate in. But like all sites, use your smokes, use flashes, use nades, and play smart and let your team get in to help if you don't feel like you can hold it on your own.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

astr0man posted:

Here have a new derail:

I have a "favorites" playlist I use that is pretty varied. From CCR (which is playing right now, go figure), to Smashing Pumpkins, Rush, 30 Seconds to Mars, even just a tiny bit of Eminem. My tastes in music are hugely varied, but when I'm warming up in CS, I tend to skip songs that are slow, and wait for the kind of stuff that gets stuck in my head, since it tends to force me to focus on CS instead of the song!

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Incredulous Dylan posted:

For real, I always keep an album playing muted and a global hotkey for turning it up during spectates. The other night I had amazing synergy basically getting high as hell and playing Downtown with:

Kind of Blue is a superior album imo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

astr0man posted:

Here have a new derail:

I listen to Hikaru Utada while doing some training_aim map sessions.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hah, no poo poo ;). You just get more of that "big city" feeling with the big band compositions!

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

For those that have somehow forgotten.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
C'est la vie

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

This is a video game.

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

Coleman posted:

I have a "favorites" playlist I use that is pretty varied. From CCR (which is playing right now, go figure)

Oh, uh, yeah, uh... a tape deck, some Creedence tapes...

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

AugmentedVision posted:

amon amarth or bust

this guy gets it :black101:

Also I made this video to derail the derail but this is why you anti-eco with a Bizon. Accept no substitutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQKM65lqz84

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

astr0man posted:

Here have a new derail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIKqgE4BwAY

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

astr0man posted:

Here have a new derail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJCA7OVkUMk

My sensitivity is 90210(named after my favourite tv show). I use a special mouse developed by the Canadian Military, however I set my in-game sens to .00000058.

I find this gives me the perfect balance to overaim, overaim again, then re-re-re-reaim. This is a corkscrew aiming effect that garauntees headshots.

If I feel my aiming is off, I'll carry my rig outside to a miniature wooden Large Hadron Collider that I built in my back yard.

The neighbourhood kids just call it a full pipe but *scoff* what do they know. My wooden collider gives me peace of mind to click heads with extreme efficiency.

Hope that helps.

Daeno fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 16, 2014

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZMs56Rlc5k

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

astr0man posted:

Your Kpop when you play it in warmup

As for most unorthodox bind, I'm gonna win with my 200 line rotating poo poo-talking bind list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Your Kpop when you play it in warmup

As for most unorthodox bind, I'm gonna win with my 200 line rotating poo poo-talking bind list.

jerkcity binds

• Locked thread