Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

fatherdog posted:

That's two problems that may or may not be one.

Meathead Marine is a problem, and I'm not gonna both going into it because "How do I deal with Meathead Guy" is like half the posts in every thread. This kid quitting in the middle of sparring is a problem, and that might be due to Meathead dude, and it might not. Sit him down and figure out what it is, and proceed from there.

I know. We regulated him at jiujitsu and he quit that, only to do kickboxing (where he tries to MMA people when he can get away with it). I didn't connect the two until class today and he acted like that again, and how the newer guy reacted well to just drilling with me. I'll keep them separate and figure out how to get the one over his ego and not quit. Thanks for your comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Well this has been said 113516 times but.... regulate more, until he either leaves kickboxing too or learns.

I have no tricks to control 200% force attack murderer ego's except giving it back 300% (which, incidentally causes them to quit), does anyone else?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ligur posted:

Well this has been said 113516 times but.... regulate more, until he either leaves kickboxing too or learns.

I have no tricks to control 200% force attack murderer ego's except giving it back 300% (which, incidentally causes them to quit), does anyone else?

Sitting them down and talking to them like adults often works. Lots of people just don't understand that going 100% all the time isn't just the thing to do.

If you've had The Talk with them and they still do it all the time, observing them and figuring out why they do it may help. Some people go easy as long as they're "winning" and then start putting more force into it whenever they're "losing"; sometimes those will just work out once they get better to the point where they're "losing" less often, sometimes they'll improve when you put them through more limited live drills. Some people just go 100% all the time every time, and those people you may have to get rid of. But there are a lot of reasons that people go harder than necessary and talking to them and sussing it out will usually make you better able to figure out how to deal with it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

Sitting them down and talking to them like adults often works. Lots of people just don't understand that going 100% all the time isn't just the thing to do.

I've got a lot of really gung ho guys in my club right now and I've found that spending a minute or two every practice reinforcing "Mutual welfare and benefit" (to lean on the words of Jigoro Kano) really helps. I just remind them that if they don't have a partner they can't do Judo. If you hurt your partner, they aren't there and you've got nobody to do Judo with. If you don't control your techniques and slam them all the time then nobody is going to be want to be your partner and you'll have nobody to do Judo with. If you don't keep yourself and your gi clean then you're the smelly guy nobody wants to work with and you'll have nobody to do Judo with. I normally don't spend any time lecturing because that's not my style. But when things get rough "Mutual welfare and benefit" becomes a daily creed.

I think that holds across all combat sports. If you don't have anybody to work out with you can't practice. So respecting your partner's well being is always something you can stress to guys that spaz out.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 13, 2014

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
In a similar vein, I'm in a situation where I'm sparring regularly with someone who's a lot better than me (a pro with like 15+ fights; I have zero lol). It tends to go OK for a round or two then I get clocked hard and things degenerate from there. Like forget everything we've been working on for the past month and go into survival mode.

My coach keeps saying it's because I'm not fluid/relaxed enough and should chill out but it's hard to. This is especially frustrating because things are just not clicking and it's been like this for a while, like I'm on the verge of understanding something but it's just beyond my reach. Is this something that just comes with more experience? What did you guys do to find a way out of this mental state?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I'm from a country of silent people who don't do much talking.

That said, yeah. I've tried it a couple of times (sit down and talk a bit) and it has worked once or twice. Should do that more!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
To continue. Often the problem is guys don't understand how hard they are going. They honestly seem to believe they are going light when it's anything but. I was training with a few chicks from my club this saturday, and they quit contact savate because they got stuff like concussions from what is supposed to be very light sparring (the other girl is tiny, like 5'4).

I sometimes call a stop to a sparring match when I see it's spiralling out of control, tell the culprit to go easy, restart, have him throw weird, intentionally missing slo-motion limb extensions until he gets tagged once, and after 20 seconds it's back to swinging for the fences.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Admirable Gusto posted:

In a similar vein, I'm in a situation where I'm sparring regularly with someone who's a lot better than me (a pro with like 15+ fights; I have zero lol). It tends to go OK for a round or two then I get clocked hard and things degenerate from there. Like forget everything we've been working on for the past month and go into survival mode.

My coach keeps saying it's because I'm not fluid/relaxed enough and should chill out but it's hard to. This is especially frustrating because things are just not clicking and it's been like this for a while, like I'm on the verge of understanding something but it's just beyond my reach. Is this something that just comes with more experience? What did you guys do to find a way out of this mental state?

How many other guys are you sparring with? I don't think it's expected that you come away from each round having learned the same amount. As long as you improve your skills and instincts when you're going with other people, then you're improving overall.
If this the only guy you're sparring with, then yeah, it'll be a detriment to your learning.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I was thinking about a short write-up about on basic training methods for boxing/striking, I've found out tons of people who don't get regular personal training don't know this stuff, yet have or are expected to do it during a class. Those who get PT time without dishing extra bux on it are often guys or girls who already aim and are known to compete which in many, many gyms leaves tons of hopefuls on the outside. Or this is what I've heard. Personally, I try to instruct and advice everyone, but that said, there is only so much time.

This is a really crude sketch, won't include anything on conditioning, and which needs to be edited a ton (mostly to reduce word count, and I also except most of the strikes in this thread know this crap but this isn't for us anyway, unless maybe add it to the OP for those just starting, if it ends up being good?), but:

Shadow boxing: This is a cornerstone in your boxing or striking training. And probably boring but yeah we know. Shadow boxing (even more helpful with a mirror) is both a great warmup, and teaches you how to punch or strike without overextending or loving your balance because you can't lean on a bag when you punch air. Form and balance training 101. You can also observe yourself from the mirror to see what openings you leave when you throw, if you flair your elbows or if you return your punches to your defensive posture fast enough. You can also turn sideways to the mirror and make sure your straight punches are fully extended, have an upward trajectory, and thus forth. And last thing, shadow boxing, with sparring, is the only drill you can use to simulate a fight if you envision an opponent, and is very unused as such.

Pair training and mitts: This is where you learn motorics, speed, power and of course form. You learn to throw your strikes fast and hard from the proper distance (this being difficult indeed at first!), and if your pair throws counters in the mix or your coach keeps slapping you with the mitts, to quickly return your strikes and block or slip for proper defence. Also to quickly reset your stance for the next combination. You can (and often even should) start slow, feeling out the mechanics of your techniques or combinations, and when it starts to click increase tempo. This is also the perfect way to train chaining long combinations. As a rule, if you only practice 2-3 strike combos, you will be reduced to throwing single strikes in a fight. If you practice 5-6 strike or movement combinations, you might pull out 2-3 when under pressure which is already much better.

Double bag: That light, teleporting small ball connected to both the ceiling and the floor trains you to hit a moving target. A boxer with quick and unpredictable upper body and head movement is a complete bitch to hit. With the double ended bag, you improve your hand-eye coordination, and practice throwing punches at a constantly moving target, anticipating where the target is when you land instead of trying desperately to hit where it is right now because it sure as hell won't be there in 0,1 seconds. And that is how you are supposed to connect that hard straight or hook and create a collision which wobbles the target.

Speed bag: You hit this annoying pear for rhythm, hand-eye coordination and it's the meanest way to get your hands and shoulders the endurance to stay up ALL DAY. Also makes an impressively horrible racket.

Uppercut bag: That large, round, heavy object hanging from the ceiling? It's for punching uppercuts and angled hooks when you don't have a pair or someone with mitts. Practicing them with the proper form with the tall regular bags sux. With this you can do it with proper form.

Heavy bag: You can train everything with the heavy bag but it's best suited for power striking or endurance. Do a 5 minute round of throwing only KO strikes, or a 5 minute round constantly chaining techniques. It will kick your rear end and prepare you for a fight. In a fight you have to work more than the other guy, and if you can do that it's probably why you won. Want to box in a competition? 1 punch every 3 seconds, minimum. Yeah, for one 5 minute round. That's the output you should aim for, and training with the heavy bag hits the nail. (The fight will probably be 3 minute rounds, so you'll be ready.)

Drilling for sparring: Can be quite a lot of different things. Jab vs jab. Body shots. Only straights. Whatever. If you can't connect uppercuts or tight hooks on anyone ask your pair to fight close range and work on it. Perhaps 2 free strikes vs 2 strikes. Stuff like this. It conditions you to use techniques you might not otherwise be comfortable with, and prepares you to unleash that stuff you practiced with all the form drills earlier while taking incoming or counter punches in a safe way. Do you blink or lean backwards when sparring? A simple 3 strikes vs 3 strikes drill will slowly wean you out of this disgusting habit. Or have the other person only throw hooks and straights at your forehead while you block and slip to get that crucial confidence on your defense. Oh and it and helps your pair to adjust his work rate and up his stamina so everyone gets something out of it (punching someone who only blocks and slips without even throwing counters for 2 or 3 minutes is very, very exhausting, especially if you don't do the famous 4-5 light punches and fakes to 1 hard punch thing).

Free sparring: Free sparring is never a fight. There are no winners or losers, it's not a competition, it's the culmination of your technical training. This is where you put all of it together. The balanced form from shadow boxing, the fast, hard and tight techniques from mitts training, the experience you derived from sparring drills, the endurance from the heavy bag. Now you can test all that without set limits and find out what works for you. What techniques in your arsenal work against a resisting partner and from what distance? How you should move to connect with those techniques? How to combine light combinations to power punches? This is the fun stuff. But believe me, if your sparring partner did all the training above (and roadwork, and ate and slept well) and you chose to skip that bullshit and just to go out there and throw, it's a waste of time: you'll get tagged repeatedly and will learn next to nothing, and neither will your partner, because you are just a walking punching bag.

(Edit: work in progress. Please goonz feel free to add & correct & offer critique etc. If you guys think this is a good post, maybe link or add to OP like I said? Also I hate this bullshit: boxing or striking classes that have you run around and warm up, then do some pair training, then have you hit the bag to exhaustion and do your crunches and push-ups and then have some guys do free sparring for a few rounds if they want to. RARRRRGH! Free sparring needs to be drilled first, and preferably often and regularly, and hitting a bag for 60 minutes and doing 300 sit-ups doesn't loving cut it. That said, doing some is still better than doing none.)

Ligur fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 28, 2014

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Ligur posted:

[snip]
Double bag: That light, teleporting small ball connected to both the ceiling and the floor trains you to hit a moving target. A boxer with quick and unpredictable upper body and head movement is a complete bitch to hit. With the double ended bag, you improve your hand-eye coordination, and practice throwing punches at a constantly moving target, anticipating where the target is when you land instead of trying desperately to hit where it is right now because it sure as hell won't be there in 0,1 seconds. And that is how you are supposed to connect that hard straight or hook and create a collision which wobbles the target.

I think this is what we have at our gym. Except given the limited space, it's mounted horizontally between two support beams for the heavy bags at our Muay Thai gym. It looks like a football or rugby ball that is wrapped in this nylon webbing.

I really like using this thing because once you punch it, it goes flying everywhere. I can land basic 1-2s on it, occasional double jabs, uppercuts and crosses. But stringing together a combo is hard for me. Like you mentioned, it's all over the place, so I'll whiff on a power punch sometimes. What I've taken to doing is when the ball is flying all over the place, I'll duck under it and smash it with an uppercut and back out. Sometimes, I'll tag it with a rear uppercut and while it's bouncing up and down, pop back up and smash it with a cross. Or, wait for it to stop bouncing wildly and then tag it again with a power shot.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether a drill I like to do is a good use of the bag. First, I'll start out standing far enough away from the ball that with full shoulder extension, I can hit the thing. But, it never snaps back hard enough to reach me and make me defend. So after a while, I get closer to it to the point that if it flies back and I don't move, it will pop me in the face. When standing that close, I'll throw punches, and then time slips, weaves, etc. when it flies back in my direction. Getting closer so that it flies right at my face has also helped reduce the amount of flinching I do.

On an unrelated note, I kinda like smacking the bag with a power shot and then when it flies back, chasing it down and hitting it with an elbow. Yeah, that's not boxing, it's me just loving around. It does feel pretty sweet when you perfectly time an elbow on the bag flying your way. :D

Dolemite fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 15, 2014

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Dolemite posted:

I think this is what we have at our gym. Except given the limited space, it's mounted horizontally between two support beams for the heavy bags at our Muay Thai gym. It looks like a football or rugby ball that is wrapped in this nylon webbing.

Yeah that's it, a "double ended bag" just positioned in an unregular manner. You're doing it right IMO. It helps you train slips and stuff when you take a whack at it, and then lean forwards and inside when it bounces back and give it a counter punch when it's coming back the other way again.

You can also use it as a device for throwing flows of short, quick punches that move the bag a bit less than the hard ones, which also helps your hand-eye coordination (like the goddamn speed bag which often times drowns out all other sound within the square mile arrrgh). And practice throwing a series of fast, quick strikes to a power shot, like jab + jab + short cross + jab + POWER PUNCH (arrow left, arrow left, quick arrow right, arrow left, A button).

Ligur fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 15, 2014

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

n3rdal3rt posted:

I'm going to ask a really dumb question but what's the difference between these rash guards and an $18 compression shirt from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/TITLE-Compres...mpression+shirt)? I mean other then the ridiculous awesome designs...

After action report on these compression shirts: Ended up being a "get what you pay for" kind of deal. I ordered a couple and they're ok but they are definitely lower quality than what I'm used to getting when I buy a rash guard. The stiching is lower quality and they are much less durable. Not a bad value for the price, though.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Found some clips on vimeo of indian srestling and training: The fifth one is sparring, the others are different kinds of physical training, like calisthenics, rope climbing, gymnastics and swnging those indian clubs.

http://vimeo.com/84266195
http://vimeo.com/86132755
http://vimeo.com/88321365
http://vimeo.com/88936612
http://vimeo.com/88952186
http://vimeo.com/91117934

The stuff they do is probably how people practiced a long rear end time ago. Can't get more low-tech than this.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Ligur posted:

Yeah that's it, a "double ended bag" just positioned in an unregular manner. You're doing it right IMO. It helps you train slips and stuff when you take a whack at it, and then lean forwards and inside when it bounces back and give it a counter punch when it's coming back the other way again.

You can also use it as a device for throwing flows of short, quick punches that move the bag a bit less than the hard ones, which also helps your hand-eye coordination (like the goddamn speed bag which often times drowns out all other sound within the square mile arrrgh). And practice throwing a series of fast, quick strikes to a power shot, like jab + jab + short cross + jab + POWER PUNCH (arrow left, arrow left, quick arrow right, arrow left, A button).

Yeah, the whole throwing punches to move the bag less is an issue for me for some reason. I either throw too heavy and send the bag into another zip code or, I end up hitting lightly enough that it doesn't move. Same thing with the heavy bags in the gym. It's hard to find that balance between speed and power. I guess that's something that comes with experience.

I wish the gym would get a second of these double ended bags. When we first got it, no one used it for the longest time. Then I started to use it and noticed others watching me as I used it for slips, combos, etc. Now other people are constantly using the thing. Ugh. Get off my bag, people!

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Attention Euro kick punch goons - wondering if anyone has a gym to recommend in Bonn, Germany, or failing that maybe Cologne. My best friend recently tried a local kickboxing gym and was disappointed to find it made up of cardio folks flailing around without supervision.

A gym like mine would be perfect, however it is all the way across the pond. It should be welcoming to all and willing to cater to the non-competing crowd, but at the same time should offer worthwhile technical instruction with a workout to go with it. My friend is a small inexperienced female, and so not looking for hardcore sparring etc any time soon, but she's still interested in learning at least the basics of the real deal.

Knowing a bit but not a lot about both kickboxing and west Germany, the current plan is advising her to seek out dutch people. Any more specific guidance I can offer?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Dolemite posted:

Yeah, the whole throwing punches to move the bag less is an issue for me for some reason. I either throw too heavy and send the bag into another zip code or, I end up hitting lightly enough that it doesn't move. Same thing with the heavy bags in the gym. It's hard to find that balance between speed and power. I guess that's something that comes with experience.

I wish the gym would get a second of these double ended bags. When we first got it, no one used it for the longest time. Then I started to use it and noticed others watching me as I used it for slips, combos, etc. Now other people are constantly using the thing. Ugh. Get off my bag, people!

When I tried boxing, the coach was always trying to explain that I should "strike" the bag not "shove" it. His english was not great and my spanish was worse so it was always hard to get technical conversations versus simple he shows I do that but he'd show me one of the pros and the bag kind of shivered in place but didn't really swing. I took it to mean that you don't want to lean into the punch and make sure you're rotation provides peak power at the right spot but I never really got it down.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Funny that Xguard86 mentioned it, leaning vs punching has been a big thing for me the past year when I try to teach people and a subject of almost every class I throw. It's a very common problem in punching technique and very difficult for many people to crack.

Thing is and probably the most simple way to sort this out, if you lean forwards or sideways with your head (or worse, your upper body too) when you "punch", that's when you are pushing. When your head stays in place while you rotate (in order) your leg, hips, side, shoulder, and then whip your arm from your jaw line is when you are punching.

Test case: Face a heavy bag (this poo poo doesn't work the same with a double ended bag, they are ment to fly around). Carefully try your max range with a fully extended straight so it connects half an inch inside the bag. Now throw it as hard as you can using body rotation. If you get a solid *thuck* but the bag doesn't really move, that's a punch. If it moves backwards instead of just shivering in place, that is when you are pushing it.

That's it. Some people get it, some don't.

Forcing them to shadow box in front of a mirror throwing strikes so their head or upper body doesn't lean with the punch can work. So why is leaning bad? You are not using your maximum range or torque like Xguard86 above ponders, and worst of all you are unbalancing yourself making it extremely difficult or even impossible to continue with a tight combination after the punch. Try standing on one leg, leaning forward, and throwing a hook uppercut straight combination. Yeah. The way I explained it above is how I got a guy who pushed for a year instead of punching, especially with hooks, to finally figure it out. He was very pleased and bought me a cold beer.

The case of punching while moving your head out of the way of a counter (which is the smart way to punch in a fight) is a completely different thing, and involves stepping a leg and a reset.

edit: "shiver" was a good word to explain how the bag should move! Also added a few notes, because adding notes is FUN!

Ligur fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 17, 2014

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
An interesting article on CTE and dementia pugilistica:
http://journals.lww.com/acsm-csmr/Fulltext/2014/01000/Is_Chronic_Traumatic_Encephalopathy_a_Real.10.aspx

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Are there any really great books about early catch wrestling and its transformation into worked professional wrestling?

Sorry bro I haven't gotten around to writing that one.

William Regal's autobiography has some details though from his experiences. I think Dynamite Kid's does too. Not like a full history but they're both pro wrestlers who were trained by catch guys in the UK.

You still training with Sambo Steve? I'm going to try to drop in on a Sunday sometime and get my rear end kicked.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Finally found out that im going to be living in Alameda CA. Last time I asked about BJJ schools and Ralph Gracie's academy was one of them. Still I would like to know if there are other good martial arts clubs in Alameda, Oakland, Berkeley and (maybe) San Francisco area?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Sorry bro I haven't gotten around to writing that one.

William Regal's autobiography has some details though from his experiences. I think Dynamite Kid's does too. Not like a full history but they're both pro wrestlers who were trained by catch guys in the UK.

You still training with Sambo Steve? I'm going to try to drop in on a Sunday sometime and get my rear end kicked.

Yep, I'm still training there! The club's actually doing pretty well since Steve moved it to a bigger space.

Orange Somen
Sep 7, 2007
rawn poul 2008

ElMaligno posted:

Finally found out that im going to be living in Alameda CA. Last time I asked about BJJ schools and Ralph Gracie's academy was one of them. Still I would like to know if there are other good martial arts clubs in Alameda, Oakland, Berkeley and (maybe) San Francisco area?

EBM Kung Fu, supposedly some of the best sanshou in the US.
Gilbert Melendez's gym.
Charles Gracie SF.
Those are the others I can think of off the top of my head.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Orange Somen posted:

EBM Kung Fu, supposedly some of the best sanshou in the US.

If sanshou is your speed, there's also Cung Le's gym in San Jose: http://www.ushmartialarts.com/LOCATION.html
and Rudi Ott's in Milpitas: http://unlimitedkickboxing.typepad.com/main/locations.html

Granted, both are a lot further away.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Man, tough finding a good gym to train Muay Thai in such an affluent area. It's all catered towards middle aged women trying to get fit or to get their kids into something unique. It's always a kickboxing/muay thai class.

Narrowed it down to these 4 I think. Help me decide.

http://www.lightningmma.com/

http://subfightermma.com/

http://www.train2reign.com/

http://rampagefitnessacademy.com/facility/

If you guys have any experiences with these places or with the coaches let me know! Think I'm leaning towards Reign. Their coach is an active fighter and has a pretty good career it seems. Think he fights/fought MT as well. The coach at Rampage was a World Muay Thai champion, I guess. Whatever that means

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 26, 2014

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

This may be an odd question, but how feasible would it be for a moderately fit person in their early twenties to be able to actually compete in MMA? Obviously it would be amateur-level stuff, but I'm just curious if it's one of those situations where it's dominated by younger dudes that have been training to fight for years or something. I've always been interested in the competitive side of martial arts, and both Sambo and BJJ look like a lot of fun, so being able to go all-out against another person using those techniques appeals to me. I'd love to hear if this is reasonable, or if I'm just as poo poo, or what have you.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This may be an odd question, but how feasible would it be for a moderately fit person in their early twenties to be able to actually compete in MMA? Obviously it would be amateur-level stuff, but I'm just curious if it's one of those situations where it's dominated by younger dudes that have been training to fight for years or something. I've always been interested in the competitive side of martial arts, and both Sambo and BJJ look like a lot of fun, so being able to go all-out against another person using those techniques appeals to me. I'd love to hear if this is reasonable, or if I'm just as poo poo, or what have you.

Early 20s you have a great opportunity for competing. I started boxing at 28 and I've competed as an amateur.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Just train for a while and see how well you pick stuff up.

Speaking of competing, I've got a smoker scheduled for mid-May that I've been training and dieting for. Found out early April, and am at 192 down from 200, shooting for 185 on day of. Dieting takes a big toll on my energy levels. I still have no idea who I'm fighting. I've been getting confused switching between facing orthodox and southpaw opponents. After sparring with another southpaw, my head movement and circling to deal with righties gets all uncalibrated. I need to try to get someone at the gym to find out anything about the opponent.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Definitely not too old. Really its on your coaches to pick out good fights for you, so I'd just keep an eye out for whether or not they are getting guys killed.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Yeah this is the age most people are competing, but if you're literally JUST starting to train it's gonna probably take more than a year before you're competent enough to really defend yourself against another trained person.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Early 20s shouldn't be a problem, but if you are just starting, you have a lot of catching up to do. That said, there are a lot of amateurs in your position, so with a decent coach you should find someone to fight on your level. When you are ready in a year or two. So, uhh, basically what the guys above said.

On to another thing, a lot of MA gyms also feature calisthenics and core strengthening stuff, like planking. A common problem with women seems to be that doing stomach planks hurt their shoulders more than anything, and it even shouldn't hurt in the first place. I wonder if it's bad technique, more serious shoulder issues, or simply very weak upper body? (Probably not the best thread to ask, suggest better threads?)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

You can very easily compete. You'll get matched up with someone of similar experience at a local amateur show, that's a big part of what the sanctioning organizations of shows do, make sure one guy doesn't get killed because he's completely outmatched. Also your coach will likely be talking with the coach of the guy you compete against to make sure it'll be a productive fight for both of you. Plenty of guys at my club have competed at MMA shows with under two or even one year of experience.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Well I'm finally taking the plunge. Did some research and decided on taking a look at the Francis Fong Academy in Atlanta tommorow. They got a bunch of different stuff, including :siren:Jeet Kun Do:siren:, am mostly interested in the FMA and Submission Wrestling though. So we'll see how this goes.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Finally passed my test to make it into the upper level classes. That earns me the right to spar, learn advanced techniques and get mauled by the fight team.

It's amazing how so much of what you're taught when hitting pads goes right out the window when a person is trying to punch you in the mouth. First few times sparring and I've just been sticking to 1-2s, the occasional boxing 3-count and mostly leg kicks. Especially since as a southpaw, I can quickly slam my power leg into my righty partner's lead leg.

Things I've learned:
1) I still tense up and cower when getting hit

2) Getting hit doesn't hurt all that bad

3) If you get hit but don't run away, but continue to press forward, it earns respect from your partner

4) I still tense my shoulders up

5) I don't keep my left hand up enough. I keep getting popped by hooks and straights to the left side of my face.

6) I don't use my range well. I keep charging in and try to throw down, which is how I get mauled. This one is odd since I'm not aggressive by nature!

7) Clinching is loving hard! And saps so much energy. And I can be thrown at my partner's will.

I'm two days in to training at this level and people say I'm doing great (for an upper-level newbie), so there's that at least. I'd still like to not get my rear end kicked though.
I can't believe I actually enjoy this sport. Even when on the receiving end of a beat down!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dolemite posted:

3) If you get hit but don't run away, but continue to press forward, it earns respect from your partner

The tension you are describing in 1 and 4 are like the most visible sign of a newbie vs experienced, and the path to removing it is absorbing your point #2, physically, into your body.

You use a lot of energy when your shoulders are tense that would be put to way better use keeping you in and out of range of your opponent, just always try to stay loose and bounce around.

#3 is a weird realization because it makes logical sense, but there's a light bulb moment when you realize you are capable of hurting people, and they don't like it. An old guy I spar with would push me push me push me and I'd panic against the ropes, at one point he told me "hey if someone's pushing you, fuckin hit'em" and I was like "oh wow this changes everything"

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

mewse posted:

The tension you are describing in 1 and 4 are like the most visible sign of a newbie vs experienced, and the path to removing it is absorbing your point #2, physically, into your body.

You use a lot of energy when your shoulders are tense that would be put to way better use keeping you in and out of range of your opponent, just always try to stay loose and bounce around.

#3 is a weird realization because it makes logical sense, but there's a light bulb moment when you realize you are capable of hurting people, and they don't like it. An old guy I spar with would push me push me push me and I'd panic against the ropes, at one point he told me "hey if someone's pushing you, fuckin hit'em" and I was like "oh wow this changes everything"

Realizing that in the right moment you pose a huge threat even to a more advanced student/fighter is definitely a big mental block to work around.

Sticking to basic combinations is fine when you're starting out, just make sure you throw them without hesitation. One thing that sucks on the pads -> sparring transition is that all the range that you have been drilling is completely different. Expect to throw a number of punches harmlessly short.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Your #3, there are ways to earn that respect that don't put you in harm's way. Sometimes just plowing forward is a good way to get yourself beat up. A stiff jab is also demands respect, and it's also quite safe.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Dolemite posted:

5) I don't keep my left hand up enough. I keep getting popped by hooks and straights to the left side of my face.

6) I don't use my range well. I keep charging in and try to throw down, which is how I get mauled. This one is odd since I'm not aggressive by nature!

Eventually #2 will overcome #1 and at some point get rid of #4 too. I did my first serious sparring class of the year two weeks ago and tooled everyone, just because I was loose as hell. It really helps when you don't need to be tense but can sort of breathe and roll around the ring feeling like you are walking at the park, waiting to have some lemonade and maybe an icecream cone. #5 is sorted when people whack you hard so many times you don't want to keep droppng your hand anymore. At some point, you'll decide "gently caress this poo poo" and the hand stays up and you won't cycle down that jab or hook anymore. Sparring partners who hit you pretty hard are the best teachers - though it only works when you realize you can do something about it, instead of giving up because "wahh I can't do it", but I think you're on that particular path already.

#6 is mostly an experience thing. A lot of new practitioners make rushes at the heavy bag or when sparring, it's all about figuring out your range which comes over time like #1 and #4. You'll discover how to stay at your range and still connect and keep your partner uncomfortable because you are always an inch too far. For some it takes 3 months, for some 3 years, but it will come, I swear, if you keep doing it.

quote:

I can't believe I actually enjoy this sport. Even when on the receiving end of a beat down!

Oh yes you do, this is the fun stuff for some, like me, who was terrified of getting hit at all back then, grats, you just won... against yourself.

Tip, think about this: when you get tagged, you want to give it back, right? This is how you will develope your slips and counters. Ignore the fact you just got a nasty teep on the ribs or a stiff jab in the face when stepping in because you already worked out it doesn't hurt, instead concentrate on how you can give it back 200% and what you need to do to achieve this. That'll leap you forwards a ton in sparring, especially since you have figured out that crucial #2.

Another tip. Practice throwing strikes without moving first. For example take a heavy bag, put the gloves on. Try your distance with maximum reach and see if you can hit it. You probably can. Now take that mentality to sparring. Throw your jab or cross or front leg roundhouse from that maximum range without stepping in at all. It will make you a very annoying sparring friend for anyone shorter or just about your height and reach.

Happy trails!

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

fatherdog posted:

If you've had The Talk with them and they still do it all the time, observing them and figuring out why they do it may help. Some people go easy as long as they're "winning" and then start putting more force into it whenever they're "losing"; sometimes those will just work out once they get better to the point where they're "losing" less often, sometimes they'll improve when you put them through more limited live drills. Some people just go 100% all the time every time, and those people you may have to get rid of. But there are a lot of reasons that people go harder than necessary and talking to them and sussing it out will usually make you better able to figure out how to deal with it.

Eh, tensing up, putting (lots) more force in when "loosing" is/was totally and 100% me. I am 100% harmless to people that are harmless to me.

What kind of helped me getting away from that (I am not "good", but if I put in significant force in stuff hurts) was doing things like saying "good hit!" or "nice Kick" or doing a boxing gloves thumbs up after getting hit.

This kind of resets my subconsious agression meter to near zero, although some coaches dont like talking while sparring. I think it also reduces the sparring from "fight" back down to "game".

I think, psychologically, getting hit somehow requires a response. Hitting the other guy back, perhaps more strongly than he hit you, is I think evolutionary hardwired. By saying something about it, I am "doing something" about having been hit, and this allows me to "leave the hit" behind and focus freshly on the new situation.
Does that make sense?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Ligur posted:

Oh yes you do, this is the fun stuff for some, like me, who was terrified of getting hit at all back then, grats, you just won... against yourself.

Yeah, I am by no means a good striker, but I realized recently that some kind of major internal shift has gradually occurred in me with regards to sparring. I was at the gym the other day and they were full MMA sparring (i.e. takedowns, gNp, etc w small gloves) after the BJJ class I'd been there for. I was in a position where I was not going to do any sparring since I had interviews that week and couldn't afford to get a shiner. It used to be that I'd feel relief at this situation, like..."cool, I have an excuse to not go out there and get hit" but I'm sitting there so much wanting to get in on it the I go out to the car and get my striking gear and end up going a few rounds anyway. (ironically this went fine, then I got a shiner the next day just doing BJJ when someone spazzed and caught me with an elbow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Guess how I got a massive black eye two days ago? Elbow during BJJ.

• Locked thread