Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

enbot posted:

The pendant is the one who would refer to earth as a closed system, because it would never be called that in academia.

This is utter nonsense, the earth is routinely referred to as a closed system in the earth sciences.

enbot posted:

Exactly, in the context of GW calling the earth a closed system is incredibly silly, since nobody would be thinking of the super technical definition most professors wouldn't even care about.

Yes of course, if there's one thing scientists don't care about it's the correct use of specific technical terminology. Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

enbot posted:

The pendant is the one who would refer to earth as a closed system, because it would never be called that in academia.

Not to be a pedant, but what does jewelry have to do with academia?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

enbot posted:

Why don't we do it? Pretty simple- it's still a lot cheaper to get it from other sources, or use thorium or whatever.

But why is it cheaper?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It's technically cheaper to put enriched uranium in reactors than to bomb the Russians (or us). Guess where lots of reactor fuel comes from these days (it's from decommissioned warheads).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EightBit posted:

It's technically cheaper to put enriched uranium in reactors than to bomb the Russians (or us). Guess where lots of reactor fuel comes from these days (it's from decommissioned warheads).

Actually that's a current issue. Roughly 50% of US nuclear fuel was coming from decommissioned Russian warheads and they've run out of that, so now they either need to build new refinement plants (to which NIMBY is a very reasonable response, given the types of people who end up running the things) or import it from overseas.

Nuclear power would be great if it weren't run by cartoon villains who oppose any kind of oversight. See: Davis-Besse and Vermont Yankee in particular.

My dream platform is a nationalized power generation infrastructure spearheaded by the Navy, in whom I have about a million times more confidence than whatever Captain of Industry is lying out his rear end at the present moment. It can be like the "national interstate and defense highway system": it's technically there for the military, but in the meantime we let civilians drive around on the roads and use the power.

e: Oh hey even more Davis-Besse issues!

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 14, 2014

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

My dream platform is a nationalized power generation infrastructure spearheaded by the Navy, in whom I have about a million times more confidence than whatever Captain of Industry is lying out his rear end at the present moment. It can be like the "national interstate and defense highway system": it's technically there for the military, but in the meantime we let civilians drive around on the roads and use the power.

Roll the spending into a defense bill and it might actually be politically feasible. It's genius.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If the climate hiatus continues (or if the rise continues but is slower than anticipated), at what point in time will there be an admission that the climate models cannot forecast accurately?

When you read the latest from the IPCC, they don't exactly quell the fears of alarmists. Yet the entire thing is conditioned upon models which have thus far been terrible. Models that are nowhere close to being able to forecast temperature.

Seems silly that we don't have benchmarks or accountability at this point. Temperature will rise between X and Y by time Z, or else this thing is poo poo. This'll be year number 14, the imminent El Nino notwithstanding.

I also wonder how people are going to deal with it if the hiatus happens to last another decade. Like if we're around the same temperature in 2025 (or say .1 degrees higher), how are the people who have so much tied into the oncoming collapse going to deal with that? The terse answer is to say they'd be happy that they were wrong, but that seems too simplistic. I think the desire (or even need) to be right is in some ways clouding the ability of people to analyze the situation rationally.

forgot my pants
Feb 28, 2005

Arkane posted:

I think the desire (or even need) to be right is in some ways clouding the ability of people to analyze the situation rationally.

You might want to think about that for a second.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I'm honestly surprised you said that exactly like that.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Not that I personally have anything to do with it, but I've been right so far. Temperature models have been poo poo and the US has not (and will not) (and should not) do anything that would drastically impact the economy to address it. I think temperature is going to increase far slower than the IPCC predicts and will easily be able to be managed by technological advancements.

Technology is advancing far faster than I think people realize on the energy front.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Arkane posted:

Not that I personally have anything to do with it, but I've been right so far. Temperature models have been poo poo and the US has not (and will not) (and should not) do anything that would drastically impact the economy to address it. I think temperature is going to increase far slower than the IPCC predicts and will easily be able to be managed by technological advancements.

Technology is advancing far faster than I think people realize on the energy front.

Hold up IPCC, Something Awful Dot Com forums poster Arkane is here to tell you how wrong you are.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm hardly the only one to notice that models aren't tracking temperature. In fact, it's not even a small number of people. Nature had a piece in their magazine about it a couple of months ago. You guys seem a bit wrapped up in the end of the world in this thread so maybe it'll take you guys a bit of time to catch up to the actual science.

I think the disconnect with the IPCC is that their conclusions are all based on the climate models, and don't sufficiently account for the fact that the models could very well be dead wrong.

One of the scientists (Richard Tol) that worked on the WG2 report from the IPCC asked for his name to be removed because he felt that they were making fear-causing claims without evidence to back it up.

But getting back to it:

Arkane posted:

If the climate hiatus continues (or if the rise continues but is slower than anticipated), at what point in time will there be an admission that the climate models cannot forecast accurately?

Seems like this is a question that is looming larger and larger.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Personally I would love to be completely wrong. What happens in the Arkane view of the world though is that you externalize or ignore costs and phenomena that are already occurring. You view the extinction and systematically produced inequity on the planet as if they were somehow not connected to the same systemic action creating climate effect. You want to view climate effect in isolation and treat it as if it were some simple mechanistic thing. It's not. It is inherently complex. This means that normal control mechanisms and reductionists views of predictable outcomes don't really function in the same way.

If in fact the pace is slower, and there is not some escalation in sudden, scaled catastrophic events, then this means we have more time to transition. It does not mean transition is not necessary. It does not mean that the areas of uncertainty suddenly become clear. You are deeply invested in a model that maintains your status as a beneficiary of the system creating the effect, as has been repeatedly pointed out here and elsewhere. You never deal with that for some reason. That ideology has you externalize and ignore actual costs. You are progressing though. You have moved from outright denial, obfuscation and righteous indignation about how stupid everyone else is to bargaining. You now seem to admit that the effect is taking place. You seem to believe that technology is going to save us, thereby allowing the current system to continue to function as is (thus maintaining your model of self as an entitled beneficiary and that future in tact). You believe it can be reduced to a technological problem. The thing is, because the phenomena is highly interconnected and highly complex the models are difficult. Even so there is far, far more evidence from those than support for your view that we can continue in the current model. Your model for instance, holds that inequity will be addressed by the action of an imagined free market. There is quite literally no evidence for that. The production of that inequity is not separate from the forces producing climate effect and mass extinction, though I know you would like them to be. Climate effect is really just the easiest to see directly and model.

And it comes down to risk assessment. Apparently you see some sort of huge risks with making the necessary transitions. Who and what exactly is at risk in that model? You delete the risks associated with not doing so. It's just self interest on your part however you may choose to package it.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 16, 2014

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Richard Tol, the guy who asked for his name to be dropped because his paper on the effect of climate change on agriculture (out of 24 others) was not given undue emphasis.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Arkane posted:

I think the disconnect with the IPCC is that their conclusions are all based on the climate models, and don't sufficiently account for the fact that the models could very well be dead wrong.
Yeah, why can't the IPCC go with Arkane's gut feeling instead of actual science?

I mean what are they even thinking?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Claverjoe posted:

And in a closed system energy can come and go. Sheesh. I thing Sogol is a bit wordy (but generally good) but this is a bunch of people literally whining at a writing style and quibbling over a distinction that they don't understand.

His writing style is terrible and near-impossible to parse hth

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Arkane's favorite book on global warming was written by an adjunct professor of business and the book was cited by the Danish Committees on Scientific Dishonesty for fabrication of data, selective discarding of unwanted results, deliberately misleading use of statistical methods, distorted interpretation of conclusions, and plagiarism.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Can we just change the thread title to "Climate Change thread: tl;dr - Put Arkane on ignore"

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Arkane posted:

Seems like this is a question that is looming larger and larger.

It's been explained to you, repeatedly, why there is no climate hiatus. We're all very sorry that you can't understand it.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaJJtS_WDmI

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

EightBit posted:

Can we just change the thread title to "Climate Change thread: tl;dr - Put Arkane on ignore"

I almost (but not really) appreciate having Arkane around in this thread. He is a stark reminder of why we're in this mess, with no realistic chance to turn things around. Human ignorance is the problem. Profit at all costs is the problem. People like Arkane who cherry-pick data, crop charts, and then declare themselves right constantly work to perpetuate ignorance on the subject, and thereby allow the destructive profit-seeking to continue.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Beijing has been having a water shortage lately:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/16/world/asia/desalination-plant-beijing-china.html

Are desalination plants really the best way to provide drinking water to drought-stricken areas? My impression is that they're expensive, require fossil fuel to power, and damage coastal ecosystems?

I talked to a friend about climate change. He's on the quasi-doomsday "next 20 years are going to be catastrophic" boat. What's up with that view? My opinion: this is going to more gradual, with 3rd world countries getting shafted first. See: Pacific Islands, African countries. In other words, problems that are already here will intensify - there isn't going to be a anything suddenly cataclysmic.

I could be wrong.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
As a lurker to the thread, I appreciate Arkane's posting since it is usually followed by sourced rebuttals of all his points, which ends up very informative.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Telesphorus posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/16/world/asia/desalination-plant-beijing-china.html

Are desalination plants really the best way to provide drinking water to drought-stricken areas? My impression is that they're expensive, require fossil fuel to power, and damage coastal ecosystems?

It depends on a number of factor, especially geography and local climate. I don't know about Beijing, but I think in a lot of places in America making more use of grey water and treated water instead of dumping them in the ocean is a much better thing to focus on then desalination plants.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

Arkane posted:

I'm hardly the only one to notice that models aren't tracking temperature. In fact, it's not even a small number of people. Nature had a piece in their magazine about it a couple of months ago. You guys seem a bit wrapped up in the end of the world in this thread so maybe it'll take you guys a bit of time to catch up to the actual science.

One of the scientists (Richard Tol) that worked on the WG2 report from the IPCC asked for his name to be removed because he felt that they were making fear-causing claims without evidence to back it up.

This man is a professor of economics.

Do you have a link to this article in Nature you mention?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Telesphorus posted:

I talked to a friend about climate change. He's on the quasi-doomsday "next 20 years are going to be catastrophic" boat. What's up with that view? My opinion: this is going to more gradual, with 3rd world countries getting shafted first. See: Pacific Islands, African countries. In other words, problems that are already here will intensify - there isn't going to be a anything suddenly cataclysmic.

I could be wrong.

Well more areas turning to poo poo increase migration, which will increase the pop density of the few good areas, snowballing. Plus the "just in time" commerce shipping system can't last. It's just a matter of time, we just don't know if it's 10 or 50 years away.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Av027 posted:

with no realistic chance to turn things around.

I wouldn't exactly say this is true. However, governments definitely need to cooperate with the policy changes suggested by the IAC report, and corporations need to understand that global warming is ultimately tremendously unprofitable. These seem to be happening, but not fast enough.

Pope Fabulous XXIV posted:

tl;dr: we are so screwed, for certain values of "screwed." We can be less screwed if we don't give up!

Definitely. It's wise to not underestimate human ingenuity.

Sogol posted:

2- technological and free market miracles. I support some people and processes that are working on some version of these things, but do not feel this is sufficient. I have said why and am happy to do so again.

I'm planning to research renewable energy or carbon-trapping technology or something along those lines, once I finish my degree that is. I'd like to think I'm helping. Curious to know what you think is insufficient about technological change alone.

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 17, 2014

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

Gamma Nerd posted:

Curious to know what you think is insufficient about technological change alone.

Why isn't the world running on fission reactors?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tanreall posted:

Why isn't the world running on fission reactors?

Large capital investments required and there's social factors against it. But until recently there were social factors against doing anything about fossil fuels (and the capital costs go without saying) so that's not really a convincing argument alone.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

computer parts posted:

Large capital investments required and there's social factors against it. But until recently there were social factors against doing anything about fossil fuels (and the capital costs go without saying) so that's not really a convincing argument alone.

Yes the next technological miracle will be cheap, safe, and loved by all.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Arkane posted:

Around the time someone coherently rebuts this paper showing that they are, in fact, forecasting accurately when controlled for short-term variability that the models are not intended to predict.

EDIT: I'll save you a site:wattsupwiththat.com Google and tell you that he outsourced criticism on this one to Bob Tisdale, a rando denialist blogger with zero qualifications whose criticism consisted of repeatedly showing his rear end with regard to linear regression and the first law of thermodynamics.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 17, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tanreall posted:

Yes the next technological miracle will be cheap, safe, and loved by all.

...No?

Nothing will ever be as cheap as coal or gas again, but that doesn't mean it will make civilization untenable.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Gamma Nerd posted:

I'm planning to research renewable energy or carbon-trapping technology or something along those lines, once I finish my degree that is. I'd like to think I'm helping. Curious to know what you think is insufficient about technological change alone.

For whatever it is worth I think it is necessary and exactly the kind of thing to be doing. Necessary and in itself insufficient. Framed the by the ideology that Arkane represents it is worse than insufficient. There are two reasons I think this. The first is my assumption that global phenomena like climate effect aren't just happening, but are being actively produced. If you imagine that then you might wonder about the nature of the system involved in that production. Is first order change enough with respect to such a system? That is, can we simply do more of something we are already doing based on the same assumptions? Do we believe that we can eliminate the negative effects in order to maintain our current way of living? Many technological solutions are based on such first order thinking and require investment in and amplification of the system producing the effect. This does not mean we should not explore them. Or is second order change needed, in which there is a fundamental change in assumptions? This would be akin to when we shifted from imagining the stable earth at the center of the universe to an earth that is hurtling around the sun. So that is the second reason. I feel such a second order shift is needed. I feel both are needed and that either by itself will be insufficient. I also feel that the second order shifts are much more difficult. It is my hope that we can arrive at that together, rather than by being catastrophically informed by planetary events at a scale and pace greater than what is already occurring. It's non-linear in both cases so it is possible.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

computer parts posted:

...No?

Nothing will ever be as cheap as coal or gas again, but that doesn't mean it will make civilization untenable.

I don't understand where you get untenable from and you seem to be missing my point. His question was: "why is a technological advancement insufficient". I used a real world parallel in fission reactors. Listing reasons why fission reactors aren't more abundant doesn't counter my argument it just expands on why technology alone isn't an answer.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tanreall posted:

I don't understand where you get untenable from and you seem to be missing my point. His question was: "why is a technological advancement insufficient". I used a real world parallel in fission reactors. Listing reasons why fission reactors aren't more abundant doesn't counter my argument it just expands on why technology alone isn't an answer.

Part of technology is the propagation thereof, it's not just "I have an idea, therefore the world is saved".

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh, an Arkane post!

Here is a sample of some actual factual events happening right now as a result of the real and increasing climate change affecting our planet:

quote:

Ocean acidification making fish do strange things

Researchers at James Cook University have found that acid in the ocean is doing strange things to fish. The acid that they've been looking at is carbonic acid; it's created by carbon dioxide in the ocean.

So what we've found is that in these areas where the carbon dioxide levels are similar to what we would expect later this century, that the behaviour of the fish is impaired.

They become attracted to the smell of predators, for example - a really maladaptive response; normally they would be repelled from the smell of predators, but here they are actually attracted. They are more active, and they actually venture further away from shelter, all of which would make them more likely to be exposed to predators.

These fish have been on the reef for weeks to maybe months, because we looked at small juvenile fish, and despite being on these reefs and exposed to higher carbon dioxide levels, their behaviour was still impaired. So they're obviously not adjusting to these higher CO2 levels up to their lifetime so far.

So what we really need to work on now, what we really need to study now, is the potential for adaptation; could adaptation actually occur fast enough to deal with the acidification of the ocean, in terms of the behaviour of the fish?
http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2014/s3985272.htm

quote:

Turtles Change Migration Routes Due to Climate Change

CAHUITA NATIONAL PARK, Costa Rica , Apr 14 2014 (IPS) - The critically endangered hawksbill sea turtle has few sanctuaries left in the world, and this is one of them. But in 2012 only 53 nests were counted on the beaches of this national park in Costa Rica. And there is an enemy that conservation efforts can’t fight: the beaches themselves are shrinking.

The turtles’ change of destination, to beaches outside the park, is not the only concern. In sea turtles, gender is determined by the temperature of the sand on the nesting beaches, with cool beaches producing more males and warm beaches more females.

As a result of climate change, heat is increasing in Central America, which means that more females than males are born.

And this is just one of hundreds of cases where climate change is affecting migratory species.

Drought in Africa is hindering the journey that millions of birds undertake every year across the Sahara desert; polar bears are finding it more and more difficult to find food; and global warming has modified the migratory routes of the monarch butterfly.

In coastal zones, the rising sea level is endangering habitats like coral reefs, wetlands and nesting beaches.

In Cahuita, for example, up to one-quarter of the beaches have been lost in 15 years, according to Cerdas. During the last high tide event, the water reached the park ranger’s wooden house, which is located 100 metres from the high tide line.
http://www.ipsnews.net/2014/04/turtles-change-migration-routes-due-climate-change/

quote:

That’s how many people are already dying each year as a result of climate change, according to the World Health Organization. The figure includes fatalities from extreme weather events, as well as from the spread of tropical diseases like malaria — problems that scientists say climate change is making worse. The statistic also factors in malnutrition thanks to falling agricultural production. The deaths occur mainly in the developing world: Africa, Asia and Latin America, with southern and eastern Africa bearing the brunt. Few dare to predict climate change’s future death toll, although there are studies that suggest heat waves alone will kill thousands in northern climes.
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/science/global-warming/140415/climate-change-the-numbers

quote:

Bombshell: Study Ties Epic California Drought, ‘Frigid East’ To Manmade Climate Change

A new study in Geophysical Research Letters (subs. req’d) takes the warming link to the California drought to the next level of understanding. It concludes, “there is a traceable anthropogenic warming footprint in the enormous intensity of the anomalous ridge during winter 2013-14, the associated drought and its intensity.”

The NASA-funded study is behind a pay wall, but the brief news release, offers a simple explanation of what is going on. The research provides “evidence connecting the amplified wind patterns, consisting of a strong high pressure in the West and a deep low pressure in the East [labeled a 'dipole'], to global warming.” Researchers have “uncovered evidence that can trace the amplification of the dipole to human influences.”

"We know that human-caused climate change has played a hand in the increases in many types of extreme weather impacting the U.S., including the more pronounced heat waves and droughts of recent summers, more devastating hurricanes and superstorms, and more widespread and intense wildfires.

This latest paper adds to the weight of evidence that climate change may be impacting weather in the U.S. in a more subtle way, altering the configuration of the jet stream in a way that disrupts patterns of rainfall and drought, in this case creating an unusually strong atmospheric “ridge” that pushed the jet stream to the north this winter along the west coast, yielding record drought in California, flooding in Washington State, and abnormal warmth in Alaska. The recent IPCC assessment downplays these sorts of connections, making it very conservative in its assessment of risk, and reminding us that uncertainty in the science seems to be cutting against us, not for us. It is a reason for action rather than inaction."
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2014/04/15/3426810/california-drought-climate-change/

None of these articles are more than a few days old at most. Rest assured that when Arkane's next denial cycle rolls around there will once again have been more reports of the direct consequences of climate change than is feasible to post.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Really not looking forward to El Niño. I've seen some crazy poo poo happen here before, more than a decade ago when I was a kid. I moved back to South America about a year ago and I bet it's going to be much worse.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Also, regarding energy usage, here's an interesting chart that breaks down how much energy we use (and waste), no CO2 measurements on it though:

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

computer parts posted:

Part of technology is the propagation thereof, it's not just "I have an idea, therefore the world is saved".

So where is the line in the sand that fission reactors have to cross for you to consider them part of technology?

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Really not looking forward to El Niño. I've seen some crazy poo poo happen here before, more than a decade ago when I was a kid. I moved back to South America about a year ago and I bet it's going to be much worse.

The El Niño isn't for sure this summer.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.html

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tanreall posted:

So where is the line in the sand that fission reactors have to cross for you to consider them part of technology?

They are already? I mean they generate 10% of the US's energy. The only reason why they don't have more of a share is that it's economically viable to find substitutes (mostly fossil fuels) for them. Or to be accurate, it's economically viable to not replace fossil fuels with more fission plants, especially in light of social panics.

Part of propagation is "is this viable enough for me to replace my existing system".

• Locked thread