Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatla
Apr 29, 2004
Blah blah blah.
Bike next to artillery piece.

Your bike next to your local ice cream shop.

Edit: I went by my local ice cream shop on my way to get the artillery picture and thought that would be neat, but this has been done recently.

Gatla fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Finally one I can do, outside my the local Army Legion office.

Your bike next to your town's best kept secret. Use your imagination!

You bastard, beaten by 2 minutes. :negative:

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 6, 2014

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tanbo posted:

Your bike next to your town's best kept secret. Use your imagination!

Aww man I could have got a picture of my bike outside the nuclear shelter in my borough, it's just around the corner from my office. Also haven't we done the ice cream shop thing before?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah I completed that one about a month ago.

Gatla
Apr 29, 2004
Blah blah blah.

Tanbo posted:

:siren:Your bike next to your town's best kept secret.:siren: Use your imagination!

If you don't mind me using your idea we could do this one.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

That's cool with me, removed the strikethrough.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't count since I did this last fall, but in my mind this is definitely one of the really cool things that most people in Columbus have no clue even exists:

It's Shrum Mound, a Native American burial mound. At one point, it was part of a larger network of gigantic earthworks that stretched all across the entire state. Most of those are gone now, but those that remain are going to be included in the next application to the UN for World Heritage Site status.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I wish someone in Atlanta Georgia would visit the tree that owns itself.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Seeing know self-owning trees, here's this:

Near as I can tell, this tree and cul-de-sac sit in the far right field of West Side Park, home to the Chicago Cubs from 1895-1915, and site of their last World Series victory in 1908. It sits in the middle of the UIC Medical campus now. I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I think it's just supremely interesting that, 100 years ago on a balmy April morning, the Cubs opened their second-to-last season on that very ground.

It was April 22, and the Cubs lost. I've requested weather data from NOAA just for shits.

Here's a plaque:

e. Oh, right, new challenge.

:siren: Go find the oldest building around! :siren:

e. NOAA says the high that day was 15.6 degrees C, or a pleasant 68 F.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 10, 2014

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

The elegantly-titled Noble-Seymour-Crippen House is considered to be the oldest existing building in Chicago. Built in 1833, it's even older than the famous Water Tower in the "Richie Fancy Shopping District." It also happens to be surprisingly close to my house (not in size, but in proximity), which is surprising because Jefferson Park is surprisingly close to basically nothing else.

:siren: Find something EVEN OLDER THAN THIS drat HOUSE :siren:

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 10, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

Built in 1833, it's even older than the famous Water Tower in the "Richie Fancy Shopping District."

Ugh. I live like seven blocks from that goddamn mall and having to cross Michigan to get anywhere is the bane of my motherfucking existence.

On a lighter note, that bike is fukken hot.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

captainOrbital posted:

:siren: Find something EVEN OLDER THAN THIS drat HOUSE :siren:

I have a great idea for this if no one gets it before Saturday morning.

edit: Beaten. I was going to visit
The Oldest Tree
The Colonel Armstrong Tree is the oldest tree in the grove, estimated to be over 1,400 years old. It is named after a lumberman who chose to preserve this portion of the park in the 1870s. This magnificent tree is located a half-mile walk KLR ride from the park entrance.

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 11, 2014

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Safety Dance posted:

Ugh. I live like seven blocks from that goddamn mall and having to cross Michigan to get anywhere is the bane of my motherfucking existence.

On a lighter note, that bike is fukken hot.

Thanks! :keke:

It was my Winter Project, and it happened to be a long loving winter.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011

C. A. Nothnagle Log House (also known as Braman-Nothnagle Log House) is a historic house on Swedesboro-Paulsboro Road in Gibbstown, New Jersey, near Swedesboro, Gloucester County, New Jersey, United States. It is one of the oldest surviving log houses in the United States. The oldest part of the house was built sometime between 1638 and 1643 - Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._A._Nothnagle_Log_House

Sorry for the bad pic, that wall behind my bike is pretty much on the road.

Anyway lets move in the other direction your bike in front of something under construction.

Try and wow the crowd, find a bridge or skyscraper, something like that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

tbb9 posted:

Anyway lets move in the other direction your bike in front of something under construction.

Try and wow the crowd, find a bridge or skyscraper, something like that.
New bridges certainly don't get built often and skyscrapers are sort of out of the question, but we do have a multi-storey addition to the local hospital getting put up right now. Acceptable?

new challenge incoming

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not related to any of the current challenges, but I promised tank pics so here they are.

Better shot of the last one from a different day.

They also had a little soviet car for some reason. Not sure what it is.

Tommy Cooker!

A bit of in-phone HDR going on because the stock dynamic range on the nex4 camera is terrible, sorry.
No motorcycles outside, unfortunately. They had some jeeps, dune buggys and experimental Humvees, though. There might be bikes inside.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That car is actually the eastern german government produced shitbox, the Trabant.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Yay for tank goodness!

:killdozer:

Sponsored by Monster?

My first car was a Yugo. It was awesome. I'd say all of these tanks handled the same or better.

Taipei is pretty much in a constant state of repair, so much so that I didn't make the time to go get a picture.

url fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 14, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

What's it gonna be, Slidebite? I grow impatient.

Of course, it's raining tomorrow; it's not like I'll be riding anywhere.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

url posted:

Yay for tank goodness!

:killdozer:

Sponsored by Monster?

My first car was a Yugo. It was awesome. I'd say all of these tanks handled the same or better.

Taipei is pretty much in a constant state of repair, so much so that I didn't make the time to go get a picture.

I remember seeing a Yugo at a self-service junkyard. My father is a Yugoslav so he's seen hundreds. I remember him tapping at the rear quarter panel, under the window, until eventually his tapping produced a rusty hole bigger than my fist.

"This one's not too bad!" he exclaimed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Safety Dance posted:

What's it gonna be, Slidebite? I grow impatient.
Sorry! Got tied up and neglected this.

Let's do a repeat of an oldie but a goodie to get the show on the road.
Let's redo...

:siren: :parrot: :toot: NEW PICTURE/OLD SCENE! :toot: :parrot: :siren:

Just do a simple quote of last years challenge for :effortless: and clarity.

slidebite posted:

To win this challenge you most actually post 2 photos.

First post a picture of your bike in front of an old building in your town/city. "Old" is up to you, but play along with the spirit of it if nothing else.

Second post a vintage photo of that very same building. Added coolness if it's from a similar vantage point as your bike photo. No, you did not need to have taken the vintage photo.

So, just to clarify:

If I wanted to complete the challenge using my original photo I could have done this:

with this

I just found that vintage photo on the net... and son of a bitch it's close by complete fluke!

Protip: Local universities, colleges and city hall websites often have archives :)
Clear as mud?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I've been hoping we'd do a repeat of this challenge. Let's see what I can find this afternoon.

Edit: Turns out we've got a lot of these. Given this towns reliance on tourism it doesn't come as a shock that they advertise the history of the town to try get people to come here for more than just the races.

The old:

The new:

This is the upper part of the main drag, where the CBD really begins. Just out of frame to the right is the Royal Hotel (mentioned in the last line of the info blurb) which is about the only building on the street still being used for its original purpose.

The old:

The new:

This one was a bit more difficult to set up. Keppel Street is it's own little community of various different stores despite being only a block from the CBD (to the point where the shopkeepers take group photos for christmas cards). The left side of the street really hasn't changed much from the photo.

There's at least four other locations I wanted to get but for various reasons was unable to (mostly because the buildings pictured in the original photos have been demolished at those locations and I took photos of the wrong drat thing trying to recreate those shots :negative:).

Given that we've done something old and something new, how about :siren: Your bike and something blue :siren:

Your interpretation of what that means.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 14, 2014

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Ephphatha posted:

how about :siren: Your bike and something blue :siren: .

In the UK we use blue to mean, sex, off colour, rude. As such I considered a few options, but, I'll be more specific and leave that to you good folk.

Okies: Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiang_Kai-shek_Memorial_Hall

Just in case the digital zoom is woeful.

To give you an impression of he tiles.

There are two other buildings at the location, but they aren't relevant because, no blue stuff.

I think its the national opera house or something equally asinine vOv.

I was hoping to catch a sweet red sunset, but, it didn't show. Stupid sun!

Idk if get disqualified, because I've switched bikes with a friend for the week; I hope not because.

:siren: your ride and a red light, district or otherwise :siren:

url fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 15, 2014

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

url posted:

:siren: your ride and a red light, district or otherwise :siren:

Does it have to be my ride? Because I remember taking this selfie a few years ago next to someone's sweet ride in Taipei - which is your town, right? - and blah blah blah bullshit hipster bike photos:

:siren: Your bike next to a SUBSTANTIALLY shittier bike :siren:

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Totally my town, and now I have to recreate that pic somehow!!
(I think I know it, but i'm not certain, i'm largely a bit hazy here at best)

Pro fukn you!

(I'm not gonna say anything about the current pic rule if you don't)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Per the OP, you have to go out and take the photo some time after the challenge was posted. No fair using a photo you have kicking around.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

prukinski posted:

Does it have to be my ride? Because I remember taking this selfie a few years ago next to someone's sweet ride in Taipei - which is your town, right? - and blah blah blah bullshit hipster bike photos:

I could go full hipster and just take a picture of my garage and call it :smug:

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Safety Dance posted:

Per the OP, you have to go out and take the photo some time after the challenge was posted. No fair using a photo you have kicking around.

I'm new to the thread, so I really didn't wanna call him out.
It's a nice pic though; I should say, I'm lucky to have been treated to a better class of Bullshit Hipster Bike Videos though.
Maybe you have seen them, I doubt it though.

Z3n posted:

I could go full hipster and just take a picture of my garage and call it :smug:

Do it, be the ante-anti hipster movement. I've been a part of it for ages already. In fact, I think I'm over it, and I'm enjoying hipster stuff ironically.
Or something.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Safety Dance posted:

I'm still waiting for an opportunity to bust out the hundreds of photos I took of the gixxer z3n built for me last year next to various pieces of Americana, so excuse me while I continue to ignore that rule.

url posted:

Totally my town, and now I have to recreate that pic somehow!!
(I think I know it, but i'm not certain, i'm largely a bit hazy here at best)

Same night I took that picture, I watched a drunk Taiwanese dude repeatedly try to get onto his motorcycle outside of a bar, fall over, pick the bike off himself, and try again. I assume it was his bike as opposed to a drunken whim because he was wearing a helmet. So, uh, yeah, hazy seems about right for that area.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I have never done such a thing. To do so would be irresponsible, and so on and so forth.

I have zero scratches earned from doing exactly the described thing - like not ever, not even a little scratch at all on my right frame bar thingy's at all.
If you think you can see them or feel them, you be tripping - I sure!

There was never a single occasion, that I learned from; not one, where I was soooooo drunk, and sooooooo tired, that I just got bored and thought the biek was a bit heavy, and that I could just rest it a second; Nosireeee, that never was me.

:rolleyes:

I'm not gonna blame the bike, it just rested alot quicker than I imagined, and apparently it was heavier.

My right leg wasn't up to snuff that day.

The bike leaned, I took a lean, and a 5 minute tea break; the people that showed up, all helped me back on and saw me home (10 yards away).

Just saying, is all. Wasn't me.

:p

Hey, fwiw: I n ever drunk post either :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

prukinski posted:

:siren: FOUL :siren:

Challenge still stands of Red Light District/otherwise I assume?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

prukinski posted:

:siren:TECHNICAL FOUL:siren:

Picture must be taken for the challenge

Old challenge stands :siren: your ride and a red light, district or otherwise :siren:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Free forums upgrade if the FIRST person to answer the challenge captures a crossing gate/signal and a moving train.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is this challenge to get a picture at a red light district or an actual red light?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

hot sauce posted:

Is this challenge to get a picture at a red light district or an actual red light?

As I read it, either one is okay!

But I think the idea is more towards brothel or other shady place as opposed to the red light down the street (I mean, how far do you have to ride to get that pic?)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

As an Official Rules Lawyer of the Riding Game, either, but district gets you more points.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Bucephalus posted:

Free forums upgrade if the FIRST person to answer the challenge captures a crossing gate/signal and a moving train.

That's basically a freebie if you live in east bay, that rail xing on gilman gets a cargo train through it like once an hour.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Bucephalus posted:

I was detailing my car the other day at a car was next to a rail crossing and about 4-5 trains went by in a few hours, maybe I'll swing my bike over there tomorrow...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I've got a red light in a red-light district in mind but I think thanks to Crossrail works parking there will be impossible. If there's good weather on Friday I'll see what I can do (assuming the train crowd doesn't beat me to it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ok I must be having a brain fart day...why is everyone talking about trains?

• Locked thread