Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Sods Law posted:

Thanks to both of you! I've taken the milk away but what shall I feed her until I have cat food? I'll grab wet cat food tomorrow (currently 10PM here). Ordered a litter tray to arrive tomorrow also. Girlfriend will take her to the vet in the morning and we'll see if she's chipped. Currently she's half-dozing on the beanbag and purring like a little motorbike:

Awww, she's a cutie. That's really weird that she didn't eat any chicken. If you have any other meat to give her, like canned tuna, I would try that, but she can probably wait until tomorrow. Your girlfriend could pick up some cans of food from the vet, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Sods Law posted:

Hey cat megathread:

For about two weeks now I've been noticing an orange and white cat lurking around our neighbourhood. The cat has always been rather timid and shy and recently she started sitting outside my house and meowing repeatedly. On Saturday she did this until I went down to check on her. She's very sociable in terms of being picked up and climbing on to your lap on her own accord. On Monday I noticed that she is still hanging around and after saying hello she doesn't appear to have a collar or anything else. I've asked around in the street and no one seems to know who this cat belongs to. Today after finding her meowing and trying to get into our house I decided to take her inside and take her to the vet tomorrow to see if she's chipped. I've been frantically trying to make sure the house is decent enough for a cat to live in (child proof) but I could do with any advice on what to do when suddenly looking after a cat without basic cat stuff. I've made her a bed in a cardboard box with towels and put out water and milk for her (I tried plain cooked chicken but she licked at it and made a funny noise when trying to eat). Please help! Any suggestions on what to do for a litter tray? She's adorable:

The spice must flow

Sods Law
Nov 9, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

If she doesn't seem sick, she may be fine toughing it out until tomorrow morning without food. If you have any simple one ingredient meat baby food (for instance, just chicken or just turkey) that'd be okay. Things cats are famous for liking like tuna and milk are fine for treats but not really nutritionally great for them.

If cat's going to the vet earlier than you're going to the store, the vet may even possibly have some food to give/sell you to tide you over...I've been to some vets who would, some who would not.

Managed to find a late night garage that sold cat food. She's currently chewing on some rabbit. Hope my ignorance didn't hurt her! It was skimmed milk that she only had one or two sniffs off before I took it away. I'll also go to the local police station to make sure no one has reported a missing cat.

Demolishing her food quickly:

Thanks for the help everyone! Couldn't bear to leave her outside.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Bah, what a cutie! And don't worry about the milk - it may make her poops terrible, but so will her first intro to wet food so no real harm done.

Sods Law
Nov 9, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

Bah, what a cutie! And don't worry about the milk - it may make her poops terrible, but so will her first intro to wet food so no real harm done.

Any suggestions on homemade cat litter until I can get some tomorrow? Only got paper towel in the house...

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Do you have sand?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Shredded paper? Mulch or dirt?

e: sawdust?

Sods Law
Nov 9, 2009
None of that stuff really. I wasn't expecting to end up with a cat tonight. Would it be okay to raid the plant pot for dirt? Nothing in it would make her ill right? I only give the plant water.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Haha, looks like this cat found some suckers.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Sods Law posted:

None of that stuff really. I wasn't expecting to end up with a cat tonight. Would it be okay to raid the plant pot for dirt? Nothing in it would make her ill right? I only give the plant water.

Do you have printer paper? Can you tear it or crumple it into itty bitty pieces?

Sods Law
Nov 9, 2009

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Do you have printer paper? Can you tear it or crumple it into itty bitty pieces?

I do! Crumpling up now.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Just caught my cat licking the cap of some Neosporin, should I watch for anything?

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate

I've noticed these spots on my cat's head. They're all flat and they don't appear to cause her any pain. Age spots? She's almost 8 years old.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
I have a rather strange situation that I'm hoping some of the more experienced cat owners can help with. My wife and I have two siamese cats, Chunky and Coco that were adopted about 1 year ago. When the two cats first met, they hissed and swiped at each other constantly. It took about 1 week before they became good friends.

However, a few days ago, Chunky developed a large abscess that required drainage by the vet today. When Chunky came back from the vet today(returned SAME DAY), Coco has been acting like she doesn't know Chunky. Constantly hissing and swiping at him. Chunky appears very confused as why she's acting like this because they were friends just this morning. Normally I wouldn't care and would let the cats sort it out but Chunky has a penrose drain where the abscess is and is still limping from the infection. He's too weak to fight off Coco.

Right now, I'm isolating them from each other and trying every few hours to reintegrate the two and Coco is still hostile and Chunky is still the same sweet self trying to be friends with coco. Does anyone have any idea what I can do? My guess is that Chunky returned partly shaved with a weird drain that is scaring Coco which causes her to act hostile. Am I stuck until the Chunky's appearance improves?

This picture was taken 3 days ago before Chunky was infected.
k

aghastly
Nov 1, 2010

i'm an instant star
just add water and stir
Chunky still smells like the vet, which is what's causing the confusion. That normally resolves itself in a few days.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Sods Law posted:

Any suggestions on homemade cat litter until I can get some tomorrow? Only got paper towel in the house...

We need updates! Did the cat poop on the printer paper? THE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Suggestions for getting a cat used to nail trimming? He doesn't like having his nails touched. I'd rather not have to burrito him, he's still mad at me for giving him medicine.

Sods Law
Nov 9, 2009

Dogen posted:

We need updates! Did the cat poop on the printer paper? THE WORLD NEEDS TO KNOW

Sadly the updates are rather dull. She started meowing and clawing at the door at 4AM (no poop in the box) so we let her out to see if she needed to use the loo. She decided not to come back and though I've seen her in the garden today she hasn't shown any interest in coming back inside. Her short stay has inspired me to get a cat though and we're on a waiting list with the local shelter to adopt a kitty. I've been reading through the threads here and thanks to everyone who helped during a rather eventful evening!

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Sods Law posted:

Sadly the updates are rather dull. She started meowing and clawing at the door at 4AM (no poop in the box) so we let her out to see if she needed to use the loo. She decided not to come back and though I've seen her in the garden today she hasn't shown any interest in coming back inside. Her short stay has inspired me to get a cat though and we're on a waiting list with the local shelter to adopt a kitty. I've been reading through the threads here and thanks to everyone who helped during a rather eventful evening!

I can't imagine a shelter with a wait list. When I went to pick ours out they practically threw him at me.

edit: Oddly enough, he's been by far the healthier and more loving cat of the two.

Dragyn fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 17, 2014

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sods Law posted:

Man there are places with waiting lists? When I got mine, they let me walk out the door with a cat for $12.50 and were absolutely lousy with cats. I donated $25 because $12.50 seemed ridiculous.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yeah, no kidding, Pizza Brother cost us $15 because at (barely) 6 months he was no longer a "kitten" and therefore subject to the Kitten Season Grown Cat Special sale 50% off :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Huntersoninski posted:

Yeah, no kidding, Pizza Brother cost us $15 because at (barely) 6 months he was no longer a "kitten" and therefore subject to the Kitten Season Grown Cat Special sale 50% off :(

They should just do a buy 1 get 1 free sale!

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Azhais posted:

They should just do a buy 1 get 1 free sale!

Sometimes they do word it that way, if they're tryin to get pairs out. During peak kitten season they'll even do buy a kitten get another half off, which is crazy that they'd have to discount kittens, but there you go.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Huntersoninski posted:

Looks like I did it wrong, I got Professor Meowmers for like $150, and she wasn't even a kitten! (Thank god, the teenage cat we adopted was bad enough)

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Yeah, my local rescue charges $75 (it's a college town so I'm sure it's to cut down on kittens adopted on a whim), but there's ALWAYS a promotion if you're an actual adult. I got my boys BOGO.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Adopt a pair of middle-aged FIV+ black cats that are bonded to each other, and that shelter will make a plaque in your honor.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Schmeichy posted:

Looks like I did it wrong, I got Professor Meowmers for like $150, and she wasn't even a kitten! (Thank god, the teenage cat we adopted was bad enough)

Heck, I got Ozma for FREE! (un-spayed, no shots, had worms - $200 later and she's up to snuff. most expensive free cat ever. Get your cats from shelters, people, never fall in love with bastard litters of farm cats)

Sods Law
Nov 9, 2009
Probably different in the US to UK. To get a cat we have to be on a waiting list, get our home visited to check its okay and provide a written confirmation from our landlord that we're allowed to have a cat. Gives us more time to catproof and sort stuff out I guess. I've just seen the little ginger friend wandering through the garden so looks like she's doing well :)

Definitely want to rescue something older than a kitten. Teenage cats need love too!

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I am sorry she did not poop on the paper. My cat would poop on my notes if I forgot to clean the litter box, so figured it was worth a shot

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

spregalia posted:

Yeah, my local rescue charges $75 (it's a college town so I'm sure it's to cut down on kittens adopted on a whim), but there's ALWAYS a promotion if you're an actual adult. I got my boys BOGO.

Same here, except the rescue just wanted a way to give both away at the same time since mine are siblings. BOGO cat pairs are pretty common but the fee is still pretty high, around $65 for kittens and $40 for adults. Got both of mine for $40 + $20 microchips because they're a pair and were just out of the kitten stage.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

A LOVELY LAD posted:

I was at a friends house last night and a cat showed up at the back door and was meowing. It stayed out there for a good number of hours but went away in the morning. No collar on it but it I would guess that it belongs to someone as it was clean and healthy looking and friendly and wasn't skinny or anything. Its showed up again tonight, they cant let it in the house as they have a puppy and the cat hissed at it when said puppy was in the garden. Whats the best course of action?

Update: Checked with the nearby vet and his name was Henry and he was reported missing. Reunited.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
So my cat just sat on me and left a poop stamp on my shorts and then jumped in the floor and started licking his butt.

He seems to get diarrhea a lot. Also his farts are like loving 8th circle wizard spells. Is it time to have a vet look at him?

I'm feeding him Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken dry and him and his sister share a can of Friskies wet every day, some fish one with the best macronutrient profile that my store had available. I don't understand what it could be.

He's just... so happy and loving and gross. :unsmith:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I got bored and decided to make something of all the boxes and random poo poo I had laying around.

Well this just looks like I stacked everything in a corner

But in reality it's all a clever disguise for a secret cat castle!

The basement has a hidden passageway to a secret hole.

I actually increased that gap after she was having difficulties getting in.

A bird dares invade the keep?!

We must claws it!

Escape tunnel for super fun times

baxxy
Feb 18, 2005

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -homer simpson

Nilbog Resident posted:

So my cat just sat on me and left a poop stamp on my shorts and then jumped in the floor and started licking his butt.

He seems to get diarrhea a lot. Also his farts are like loving 8th circle wizard spells. Is it time to have a vet look at him?

I'm feeding him Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken dry and him and his sister share a can of Friskies wet every day, some fish one with the best macronutrient profile that my store had available. I don't understand what it could be.

He's just... so happy and loving and gross. :unsmith:

Possibly the Friskies.. you're feeding him a decent dry food, then feeding him McDonald's in a can.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^

baxxy posted:

Possibly the Friskies.. you're feeding him a decent dry food, then feeding him McDonald's in a can.

I wasn't stoked about downgrading to subpar wet but with Nature's Variety wet I was spending way too high of a fraction feeding my cats as I was feeding myself, and that's taking into account that I was getting overstock 24 packs for nearly half off from Petco for awhile. It just wasn't sustainable on my budget.

I guess I could potentially try an all-kibble diet but I fear the poor little things would be crushed. There's generally still dry in their bowl when they see me grab the tin can and start LOSING THEIR MINDS.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nilbog Resident posted:

I wasn't stoked about downgrading to subpar wet but with Nature's Variety wet I was spending way too high of a fraction feeding my cats as I was feeding myself, and that's taking into account that I was getting overstock 24 packs for nearly half off from Petco for awhile. It just wasn't sustainable on my budget.

I guess I could potentially try an all-kibble diet but I fear the poor little things would be crushed. There's generally still dry in their bowl when they see me grab the tin can and start LOSING THEIR MINDS.

At the very least you can try the all kibble for a week or two and see if that clears up the diarrhea. If it clears it up, you know you need to look for a new wet food. If it doesn't, then you know it's not the Friskies doing it.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

I just had a question cross my mind the other day while I was looking at those cat water drips/fountains at work. I know that feeding cats wet food helps to keep them hydrated, which in turn reduces the possibility of urinary infections, etc, but do those fountains actually stimulate their need for water like they say on the box? Also, I know with people, when you're dehydrated urine smells stronger, so does cat urine smell less awful when they are on wet food because they are retaining more water and staying hydrated? I don't actually have a cat, I'm just curious. Cat nutrition is strange.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Nilbog Resident posted:

We use nature's variety instinct dry for all but 2-3 meals a week, when we feed their wet food (small can). Our cat loves it and while the wet food is a part of the weekly rotation, it's rare enough that he gets super excited about it. I give him one every Friday afternoon when I come home from work as a little celebration to start off the weekend :3:

1-2 wet cans a week is better than none, just try reducing those feedings instead of eliminating them.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 18, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

I just had a question cross my mind the other day while I was looking at those cat water drips/fountains at work. I know that feeding cats wet food helps to keep them hydrated, which in turn reduces the possibility of urinary infections, etc, but do those fountains actually stimulate their need for water like they say on the box? Also, I know with people, when you're dehydrated urine smells stronger, so does cat urine smell less awful when they are on wet food because they are retaining more water and staying hydrated? I don't actually have a cat, I'm just curious. Cat nutrition is strange.

Some cats really loving love drinking from a spout/faucet thing. It's weird.

Also cat pee always smells bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Got new cat. Put him in bathroom with all cat stuff, and, big mistake, window open a crack. First cat was never strong enough to force the windows open. New catte apparently is.

I caught him once, then lost him whilst trying to climb back over neighbours fence.

He's currently up a tree in the park. I waited below it with catfood and treats for about half an hour (I'm in the UK, it's now midnight), but he just mewed a bit then seemed to settle down to sleep.

I'm going to go back at first light tomorrow to try and tempt him down again, but I don't know who I can call for help if he won't come down. If he's not there I'm going to contact the vets and cats protection and try and get a trap.

Based in the UK.