Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Does anyone have any idea whether Justin Roiland is genuinely batshit crazy or if that's some kind of stage persona? I mean obviously it doesn't affect the show, thin line between genius and lunacy and all that, but he seems drat convinced that almond-eyed aliens are poised to achieve supremacy over the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Wouldn't it be fair to say that Lincoln in the most popular president in US history? Probably the most well known except for maybe Washington, but he seems to have a lot more character than George based on the stories and the hat and everything.

At least when it comes to South Park and Lincoln telling Kyle that it's the ugly kids who are successful later in life, they were simply going back and forth on who it should be until someone randomly said "What about Abraham Lincoln?" And even though it didn't make any sense they ran with it. Plus he got drive away in a Lincoln.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Fargo Fukes posted:

Does anyone have any idea whether Justin Roiland is genuinely batshit crazy or if that's some kind of stage persona? I mean obviously it doesn't affect the show, thin line between genius and lunacy and all that, but he seems drat convinced that almond-eyed aliens are poised to achieve supremacy over the earth.

I think he's doing it to gently caress with people's expectations. I don't honestly think he's creating "canon" with his reddit comments. After all he did sorta respond to the jellybean rape controversy by basically saying "gently caress you if you actually care"

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Alan Smithee posted:

After all he did sorta respond to the jellybean rape controversy by basically saying "gently caress you if you actually care"

I thought the "explain it away" comment was from Ryan Ridley, not Justin.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
I'm probably crazy for thinking this, but Bird Person gave me a pretty hefty Adventure Time vibe for some reason.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

babypolis posted:

yeah but he says that he could only find a couple dozen universes where he got lucky enough to find a cure, and then had to find one where they died within those, thats why Rick says they can only do that 3 or 4 more times

I think it has more to do with the meta-ness this show has. Rick knows that it would be an easy out every time something goes wrong, so instead of turning it into something that relied heavily on, he set himself a limit to the number of times he did that.

Also, it would probably get the Council of Ricks more involved with what they were doing.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Got to work on the titanic bits for this episode.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Typical posted:

Got to work on the titanic bits for this episode.

What's that in the bottom next to Morty's face? Also, why is Morty's face there?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Bean posted:

What's that in the bottom next to Morty's face? Also, why is Morty's face there?

Why wouldn't his face be down there? Also that looks like a box to show approvals.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

OmegaBR posted:

Wouldn't it be fair to say that Lincoln in the most popular president in US history? Probably the most well known except for maybe Washington, but he seems to have a lot more character than George based on the stories and the hat and everything.

At least when it comes to South Park and Lincoln telling Kyle that it's the ugly kids who are successful later in life, they were simply going back and forth on who it should be until someone randomly said "What about Abraham Lincoln?" And even though it didn't make any sense they ran with it. Plus he got drive away in a Lincoln.

in America, you might be right. But for the rest of us, Its' probably Reagan, Bush², Clin-ton and Lincoln

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Alan Smithee posted:

Why does everyone keep assuming bukkake girl wants bukkake? Are birds known for their voluminous amounts of ejaculate? So many questions

I just assumed she wanted to join the mile high club.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

Why wouldn't his face be down there? Also that looks like a box to show approvals.

Yes, It's for approvals, I often forget its there because i'm so far away from creator feedback.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Funkmaster General posted:

Abraham Lincoln is pretty much the go-to "wacky" president, although I'm not 100% sure why. Maybe because George Washington is too obvious and the rest occupy a significantly less memorable slot? I guess you've also got your Bill Clinton, but he's mostly referenced with direct regard to his own actions, rather than in a totally out-of-nowhere sort of way.

Anyway, there's this, Adventure Time, the ATHF movie...

edit: I guess Reagan gets some of this, too, now that I think about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K74IzbcpneU&t=62s

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I took the bukake girl as just really, really wanting to get laid. I got a Stacy from Fast Times at RH from her.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

in America, you might be right. But for the rest of us, Its' probably Reagan, Bush², Clin-ton and Lincoln

Disagree with this.

Abe and Washington are probably the most recognisable to me; especially in cartoon form. All the ones you mentioned are pretty even though; to be fair.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I did say probably. All i remember about Washington is he had wooden teeth and didn't pay for his flag because there wasn't a green moon on it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Rocksicles posted:

I did say probably. All i remember about Washington is he had wooden teeth and didn't pay for his flag because there wasn't a green moon on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc

Twelve stories high, made of radiation.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I enjoy the fact that Lincler is strong enough to smash down a living room wall with his bare hands but still gets his rear end handed to him by a high school kid. We discover in season 2 that Brad is actually superhuman.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

VideoTapir posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc

Twelve stories high, made of radiation.

Seems like it would be historically accurate, i have no need of further information

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Buzkashi posted:

I enjoy the fact that Lincler is strong enough to smash down a living room wall with his bare hands but still gets his rear end handed to him by a high school kid. We discover in season 2 that Brad is actually superhuman.

Maybe the Linc part was pulling his punches.... because you know...

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
His ball throwing arm is pretty strong.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mmmmhmmmm

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
It makes sense to me. I've never seen this much consensus on something in TVIV before. There really aren't any bad episodes so much as "less great than the best ones" episodes. We'll see how season 2 goes, of course.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
I binge watched the entire series last night, and the one thing that stuck out to me the most was Puppet Rick's spectrum of good to evil Ricks. I wonder if at the far end of the good side there's a Dr. Quest style science hero Rick. Seeing someone like him interact with our Rick would be hilarious.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Someone pointed out the "Tiny Rogerts" thing from the open, but I didn't see anyone else pick up on it.

Given his knowledge of alternate realities and this off-hand quip (which is almost certainly a reference to "Tutti Frutti," by Little Richards), I think it is safe to say that story-Rick is not from our reality or Morty's own timeline (to say nothing of the dimension we are currently in after Rick Potion #9). The more I think about it, the more it fits in. Rick was pretty nonchalant about universe-hopping the "first" time. If doing this isn't exactly routine, it certainly has a procedure.

Also, being the Rickest Rick, he would see other Rick's as placeholders for his own decisions. The fact that some of them die or form a council is more proof that he is the :airquote: True Rick: able to function independently and beholden to no one's judgement (not even his own second guessing).

I love that Rick can be both the idea of the singularity and old-world religion wrapped up in one package. He has a kind of blind faith in himself and his actions, building things because he can without much thought to the after effects. Even when he fucks up, he is convinced that his choice was the correct one and couldn't have gone another way.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Daktar posted:

I binge watched the entire series last night, and the one thing that stuck out to me the most was Puppet Rick's spectrum of good to evil Ricks. I wonder if at the far end of the good side there's a Dr. Quest style science hero Rick. Seeing someone like him interact with our Rick would be hilarious.

The thing that stuck out to me was that there were still a shitload of ricks to the left of evil rick, those must be some really loving evil ricks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bean posted:

Morty is the new gold star.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

CelticPredator posted:

Morty is the new gold star.
Smiling Morty: Gold star, proceed to the next stage of production
Screaming Morty: F, see me after class, revise

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A Jerry is a C-. :D

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Daktar posted:

There probably is, but I'll bet he eats poo poo.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I hope we get to see the most evil Rick.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

nooneofconsequence posted:

He's the one from the pilot's opening, he blew himself and his universe up with that bomb which is why it's never brought up again by our Rick and Morty :tinfoil:

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

babypolis posted:

The thing that stuck out to me was that there were still a shitload of ricks to the left of evil rick, those must be some really loving evil ricks.

Yeah but they're Lawful Evil so they're all in the council.

A friend of mine said he wanted Rick to straight-up say he loves Morty, but I think that kind of straightforward emotion wouldn't fit into the show. I'm pretty satisfied with the very-Rick "My new catchphrase is 'I love my grandkids'. SIKE IT'S 'I DON'T GIVE A FUUUUCK'" because he's not reneging on saying he loves them, just that that would be a pretty lame catchphrase.

Buzkashi fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 18, 2014

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

nooneofconsequence posted:

It's actually Gunter from Adventure Time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

He's the one from the pilot's opening, he blew himself and his universe up with that bomb which is why it's never brought up again by our Rick and Morty :tinfoil:

Or the one from the opening credits who just bails through a portal and leaves Morty to get eaten by the monsters chasing them.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

This show has finally convinced me to get an avatar, but now I'm having trouble choosing what to get. There's too many good parts from this show :saddowns:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Who do we petition for a Council of Ricks gang tag?

I hope the wait between seasons isn't too bad. We're not even a week out of the finale and I'm already jonesing for more. Time to rewatch it, I guess...

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

kloa posted:

This show has finally convinced me to get an avatar, but now I'm having trouble choosing what to get. There's too many good parts from this show :saddowns:

Mr Meseeks

Toxx yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I'm one episode 3 and holy poo poo I love this show. It took a bit getting used to the star being Earl Lemongrab, but Justin Roiland is loving awesome.

e: "Hey, Gonorrhea! How about THIS for a burning sensation!?"

Four Score fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 18, 2014

• Locked thread