Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Mel Gibson's father was right! Jews do control the church. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I found where I can change the "absolute cognatic" to allow everyone (I guess just removing the culture=basque will be enough), but I cant find where to chance councilor rules.

Can someone point me to the right file?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Elias_Maluco posted:

I found where I can change the "absolute cognatic" to allow everyone (I guess just removing the culture=basque will be enough), but I cant find where to chance councilor rules.

Can someone point me to the right file?

common/job_titles.txt

Edit: note that lady marshals will get you lady generals too.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Turns out having 2.31 Million troops breaks the game's math, who would have thought?

My Catholic Vassals are all eager to rebel because some division went wrong and they think their 1371 men is approx. 23,000% of my millions :v:

Watch them all turn out to be terminators and promptly steam roll your millions.

On another note I'm glad the muslim dynasties in my game have started to grow massive because now I don't have to hit them with twice as many men to overcome the 50% moral bonus from low decadence.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Autonomous Monster posted:

common/job_titles.txt

Edit: note that lady marshals will get you lady generals too.

Thank you.

Im not sure I get the sintax, though. Under job_spymaster there´s this:

quote:

is_female = no
liege = {
OR = {
mother = { character = FROM }
spouse = { character = FROM }
}
}
AND = {
religion_group = pagan_group
liege = {
religion_group = pagan_group
}
}
AND = {
religion = cathar
liege = { religion = cathar }
}

It is enough if i add:

quote:

AND = {
religion = orthodox
liege = { religion = orthodox }
}

bellow?

EDIT: it is. Thanks

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 17, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

If it's in the same OR = { } clause as the is_female = no then that'll allow orthodox realms to have female spymasters, yes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Techno Remix posted:

I guarantee that it speaks way more to my lack of skill, I probably had bad commanders assigned or wasn't paying too close attention to any reinforcements. Gotta keep learning the system I suppose.

Thanks everyone who chimed in. I'll get this eventually.

CKII's battle system is pretty transparent by Paradox standards; if you click on an ongoing battle and mouse over the right spots, it'll show pretty much every factor affecting the battle, from terrain effects to tactic selection to flank phases and losses by day. I usually take the time to watch close battles carefully, since the casualty numbers usually give a good early indication of how the battle's going. It also reveals the identities of the enemy's flank leaders, which allows one fun tactic for changing the course of battles.

Did you know that assassination works on enemy generals currently fighting battles, that their flanks will be leaderless until the AI appoints a new leader, and that new generals can't be appointed while the army is in battle? And that the AI often uses low-ranking vassals or even courtiers, who are much cheaper to stab than kings and dukes, as generals? And that leaderless flanks are much weaker than flanks with generals? One stab at the start of a batlle can completely change the outcome. Just make sure to do it early; by the time you start really obviously losing it's probably already too late.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

DrPop posted:

Ahhhhhh god when are they going to allow ironman to save at a longer interval than every month

This really, I spend about 8 seconds saving for every 12 seconds playing on speed 3, and this is only like 40 years into the Old Gods Start. I really want to play Ironman because otherwise I have terrible self control and reload whenever poo poo goes wrong, but this is barely playable.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

CKII's battle system is pretty transparent by Paradox standards; if you click on an ongoing battle and mouse over the right spots, it'll show pretty much every factor affecting the battle, from terrain effects to tactic selection to flank phases and losses by day. I usually take the time to watch close battles carefully, since the casualty numbers usually give a good early indication of how the battle's going. It also reveals the identities of the enemy's flank leaders, which allows one fun tactic for changing the course of battles.

Did you know that assassination works on enemy generals currently fighting battles, that their flanks will be leaderless until the AI appoints a new leader, and that new generals can't be appointed while the army is in battle? And that the AI often uses low-ranking vassals or even courtiers, who are much cheaper to stab than kings and dukes, as generals? And that leaderless flanks are much weaker than flanks with generals? One stab at the start of a batlle can completely change the outcome. Just make sure to do it early; by the time you start really obviously losing it's probably already too late.

Goddamn, is there anything that a stab to the back can't cure?

I do like that there are tooltips for pretty much everything in this game. Maybe I need to slow down a bit and look at things just a little closer.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Does anyone have any recommendations for starting as the Bolghars in 1066? I really want to build Glorious Sunni Rus, but I'm having trouble expanding westward due to the pagan homeland attrition nastiness.

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape
Don't declare holy wars, declare conquests

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Techno Remix posted:

I'm phoneposting, or I'd link it, but have you considered joining the Patricians and Paupers LP? We could use more people with this viewpoint. :chef:

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

DrPop posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for starting as the Bolghars in 1066? I really want to build Glorious Sunni Rus, but I'm having trouble expanding westward due to the pagan homeland attrition nastiness.

You're honestly much better off mugging Tengri realms for their lands, they don't get the pagan homeland bonus. That eventually gives you Sunni Tartaria instead of Rus, of course. You do want to bring a massive army against the Mordvins so you can form Volga Bulgaria first.

Oh, and keep a huge warchest for mercs. Won't help you against Suomenuski because their lands just eat soldiers and spit out bones, but you're a bit weaker than everyone else until you have Volga Bulgaria.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
What mod would you guys recommend for someone who wants more random events?

I was playing the Elder Kings mod and it threw random events at me constantly, which was really fun and helped build a narrative around my custom king. But I didn't particularly like the rest of the Elder Kings mod for various reasons, so I'd like to have the same event-fest but with a closer-to-vanilla game.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So I'm currently King of Castille after finagling my way onto the throne from way up in far flung Leon, Brittany. When I picked it up, it was probably the most powerful Kingdom in Spain, aside from Portugal, which has since broken up. I've decided that I'm going to build myself a nice little kingdom going up the West coast of France to Brittany, eventually uniting my original territories. There's a problem, though. The Duchy of Aquitaine is ruled by the HRE, and is also a Theocracy. HRE has been extremely stable all playthrough, owns all of Germany and most of Italy, as well as the Kingdom of England, which is ALSO a Theocracy. The Pope is their vassal. They can muster about 6 times the troops I can, and they are allied with the Byzantines just to make matters worse. They are Agnatic Seniority.

How the hell would I go about destabilizing such a beast? I just want one little duchy. They can totally keep England and their pet Pope. I just want to connect my kingdom to my overseas holdings.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Veryslightlymad posted:

So I'm currently King of Castille after finagling my way onto the throne from way up in far flung Leon, Brittany. When I picked it up, it was probably the most powerful Kingdom in Spain, aside from Portugal, which has since broken up. I've decided that I'm going to build myself a nice little kingdom going up the West coast of France to Brittany, eventually uniting my original territories. There's a problem, though. The Duchy of Aquitaine is ruled by the HRE, and is also a Theocracy. HRE has been extremely stable all playthrough, owns all of Germany and most of Italy, as well as the Kingdom of England, which is ALSO a Theocracy. The Pope is their vassal. They can muster about 6 times the troops I can, and they are allied with the Byzantines just to make matters worse. They are Agnatic Seniority.

How the hell would I go about destabilizing such a beast? I just want one little duchy. They can totally keep England and their pet Pope. I just want to connect my kingdom to my overseas holdings.

Your best bet is swearing fealty and destabilizing them from the inside, depending on what their crown laws are.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Darth Various posted:

You're honestly much better off mugging Tengri realms for their lands, they don't get the pagan homeland bonus. That eventually gives you Sunni Tartaria instead of Rus, of course. You do want to bring a massive army against the Mordvins so you can form Volga Bulgaria first.

Oh, and keep a huge warchest for mercs. Won't help you against Suomenuski because their lands just eat soldiers and spit out bones, but you're a bit weaker than everyone else until you have Volga Bulgaria.

Right after I posted that I got lucky in a holy war for the Mordvin duchy to my west--captured their ruler and got an instant 100%, then formed Volga Bulgaria. Then I made the mistake of stirring the Rurikid hornet's nest with another holy war.

I think that after that putters out I will aim south. Gonna need money for a whole lotta mercs to fight the Cumans.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I'm still not sure whether you get the catholic holy orders when you mend the schism, but I've just seen the orthodox order go to Catholicism after I converted most orthodox provinces to Zoroastrianism. The catholic orders also spawned now that they came out heresy status. Gonna see if I can make Catholicism a heresy yet again.

I'm also not sure how they ended up with with 2 castles and 8 vassal castles, possibly because their "home" provinces kept getting converted?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
The whole event-combat thing in the Game of Thrones mod is utter horseshit. I haven't won a single combat event out of over a dozen, often with my +25 Martial or higher characters losing to characters with less than 10. It's loving pissing me off and I've lost several really really good characters because of it. My King who united the entire realm Beyond the Wall who had a goddamn +46 Martial stat was cut down by a peasant with a +6 who was butthurt about being thrown in prison for trying to assassinate anyone and everyone who looked at him funny.

Tell me that's not all kinds of hosed up.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Esroc posted:

The whole event-combat thing in the Game of Thrones mod is utter horseshit. I haven't won a single combat event out of over a dozen, often with my +25 Martial or higher characters losing to characters with less than 10. It's loving pissing me off and I've lost several really really good characters because of it. My King who united the entire realm Beyond the Wall who had a goddamn +46 Martial stat was cut down by a peasant with a +6 who was butthurt about being thrown in prison for trying to assassinate anyone and everyone who looked at him funny.

Tell me that's not all kinds of hosed up.

quote:

Q: My character has like 25 martial, why is he losing to guys with really low martial in duels?

A: Martial ability, being a command rating, has no effect on duel outcomes. Traits are what determines this. The combat traits are the most important, whilst others like strong, weak and valyrian swords also contribute.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Vodos posted:

I'm still not sure whether you get the catholic holy orders when you mend the schism, but I've just seen the orthodox order go to Catholicism after I converted most orthodox provinces to Zoroastrianism. The catholic orders also spawned now that they came out heresy status. Gonna see if I can make Catholicism a heresy yet again.

I'm also not sure how they ended up with with 2 castles and 8 vassal castles, possibly because their "home" provinces kept getting converted?

Is there still that bug where a player/NPC mends the schism as an Orthodox char and it immediately becomes a heresy because there's more Catholic provinces than Orthodox?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DrPop posted:

Is there still that bug where a player/NPC mends the schism as an Orthodox char and it immediately becomes a heresy because there's more Catholic provinces than Orthodox?

It can still happen if you're unlucky or a majority of Catholic lords are Zealous, but it's not hugely common as long as Byzantium is still mostly Orthodox.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Techno Remix posted:

Lack of an heir. You need to stab in the front for that. :heysexy:

I'm sick of being attacked by the Byzantine Empire as the Khazarian Jews. What's the best way to avoid this? Is it even possible to swear fealty to the Basileus as a Jew?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Catholicism is a heresy again and their holy orders are now orthodox.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Is there a calendar mod or option? I would really like the game to pause on specific dates on certain yearly intervals because of intrigue options, I would really like to not miss the feasts and hunts every other year because it is the most effective opinion stimulus in the game.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I think the AI is learning.

I started a game as count of Nürnberg and went about my way to get the duchy of Bavaria. I eventually ended up with 3/5 of it, only for the king of Bavaria/East Francia to create it and give it to the bishop of Salzburg. Undeterred I forged a claim on Salzburg and took it, meaning the bishop became a regular feudal lord in Oberbayern. Since he was a bishop he never married and on his death the duchy went back to the king. The king as this point held Oberbayern and Niederbayern.
He refused my petition for the title. He died (with a little help from a snake) and his son decided to move away from Bavaria so the two counties ended up run by some children. I eventually got a claim on Niederbayern to put me at 4/5 of the duchy and still the new king refused to give me the duchy.
He also found a snake in his bed. The new king gave me the duchy without me even having to ask him.

In the middle of all that I also managed to force the kingdom of Bavaria to elective monarchy to try and get it away from the Karlings. Italy has gone elective on their own and ousted the Karlings. Lotharingia is also run by non-Karlings as is Frisia. It is pretty drat hard to break up the Karling blob though.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

MrBling posted:

It is pretty drat hard to break up the Karling blob though.

:smug:

Plot/stab early and often!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Having to play vanilla again after always playing CK2+ is making me miss the CK2+ changes to traits and attributes and such. I really, really like how there are good and bad aspects to pretty much every attribute in CK2+ (for example "Charitable" actually makes you a lovely steward but buffs diplo), whereas with vanilla I feel like I should always try to acquire the positive/green traits no matter what.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Vodos posted:

Holy orders fire events where they can ask for the right to build a castle in your land to strengthen them so they've probably been asking the npc's and they have been granting titles and once the grandmasters demense filled he started handing them out to vassals.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

It should destabilize on its own, given time. Seniority tends to create blobs since one person is heir for the entire dynasty, but since those heirs are old, they die or become incapable quickly so the realm ends up having successions (and succession-related problems) a lot more often than other realms.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Pakled posted:

quote:

Q: My character has like 25 martial, why is he losing to guys with really low martial in duels?

A: Martial ability, being a command rating, has no effect on duel outcomes. Traits are what determines this. The combat traits are the most important, whilst others like strong, weak and valyrian swords also contribute.

This seems kind of dumb, unless the mod includes rewrites for literally every vanilla event that conflates high Martial and being good at personally killing things.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Ever so slowly breaking up those Karlings through the power of elective monarchy and stabbings.

I noticed that Aquitaine had gone elective and the remaining Karling heir was a young kid so two quick stabbings and boom, new dynasty.

Also, going from 1 county Count to 5 county King is pretty satisfying.

Sort of related, can you actually do anything when you're the regent for a king? Because earlier on I became regent for the boy-king of East Francia/Bavaria but it didn't really seem like I could anything other than change who educated him.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Anybody know how to open save game files with a mac? I've tried textedit, bbedit & wordpad - none work. I'm not playing on ironman :shrug:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
With Elective (and 2.0.4, maybe it's changed with the latest patch), I've had problems nominating grandchildren to be my successor. My ruler will be ~70, and I'd much prefer that my 20 year old genius grandkid take over (to maximize long reign), but they don't show up in the list of nominees, even if they have been landed.

Is this a known issue/by design?

MrBling posted:

Sort of related, can you actually do anything when you're the regent for a king? Because earlier on I became regent for the boy-king of East Francia/Bavaria but it didn't really seem like I could anything other than change who educated him.

I think you get events. I once lowered CA to Autonomous Vassals :v: Also, why not have the boy-king educated by the nice zealous Jewish man in your court?

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 17, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Anybody know how to open save game files with a mac? I've tried textedit, bbedit & wordpad - none work. I'm not playing on ironman :shrug:

They open fine in textedit for me. Though I play in windows with bootcamp, my latest saves open in textedit in Mac OS. What do you mean it doesn't work? Does it give you an error or something?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

Are your saves compressed? You have to un-check an unmarked box when you're saving to make sure they're not.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

marktheando posted:

They open fine in textedit for me. Though I play in windows with bootcamp, my latest saves open in textedit in Mac OS. What do you mean it doesn't work? Does it give you an error or something?

Nevermind, it appears my game file was somehow corrupt and I assumed the corruption was across all my saves. Resaved and it works fine.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
I think it's time for a new thread title. This one is 2 expansions old. Need something to celebrate RoI.

Crusader Kings II: A river full of bloated corpses

Crusader Kings II: ♪making GBS threads in the street♪

Crusader Kings II: ♪Walkin on, walkin on, bovine shiii-iit♪

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The tweaked decadence invasions work nicely. The Arabian empire shattered after the Abbasids went down. The new guys still control huge manpower but it's scattered across two continents now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DrPop posted:

Having to play vanilla again after always playing CK2+ is making me miss the CK2+ changes to traits and attributes and such. I really, really like how there are good and bad aspects to pretty much every attribute in CK2+ (for example "Charitable" actually makes you a lovely steward but buffs diplo), whereas with vanilla I feel like I should always try to acquire the positive/green traits no matter what.

I can understand the desire to have the traits be more balanced, from a gameplay perspective, but are you really surprised that you are supposed to pick up the seven virtues and should avoid the seven deadly sins? And even though some of the sins are not bad traits, I find it quite logical that diligent is superior to slothful.

• Locked thread