Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
You're never gonna keep Rand down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

I don't get it, what the gently caress did he huff?

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/gop-at-coachella-cold-open/2772810

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

comes along bort posted:

e: ahahaha no fuckin way

I have to wonder about the level of irony here, whether he is aware of Chumbawumba's political views and executing some 4-dimensional joke that we can barely visualize.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2012/07/chumbawambas-long-voyage/

edit: Someone please request the following at his next DJing gig:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA4FTIz2Zrw

withak fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 14, 2014

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Considering Paul Ryan's RATM incident last year, I'm going to just say he doesn't know and doesn't care.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Most people are unaware of chumbawumba outside their one hit wonder song, and hence unaware of their politics.

It's not like say:

You justify those that died by wearing the badge, they're the chosen whites / Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

withak posted:

I have to wonder about the level of irony here, whether he is aware of Chumbawumba's political views and executing some 4-dimensional joke that we can barely visualize.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2012/07/chumbawambas-long-voyage/

Nobody who unironically liked that song know who Chumbawamba or even Crass are.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Yes, that is what I was referring to when I mentioned a recent, even more blatant example. Thank you for explaining it, fishmech.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Install Windows posted:

Most people are unaware of chumbawumba outside their one hit wonder song, and hence unaware of their politics.

It's not like say:

You justify those that died by wearing the badge, they're the chosen whites / Some of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses

Rage is my favorite soundtrack when I'm hangin' out with the fam, pretending to wash dishes.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I got that album as a kid off of the strength of the single, and I was really surprised to find out how deep the rest of the album is. The best cut off that album is mary mary, though. There is almost no conceivable way that Rand Paul knew that they're extremely political.

Although I do think it's kinda fun why they wrote tub thumping. It wasn't a cynical cash grab; they legitimately love football. Who knew?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Install Windows posted:

Or my favorite live iteration: "Some of those who burn crosses are the same who run Congress." :getin:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I got that album as a kid off of the strength of the single, and I was really surprised to find out how deep the rest of the album is. The best cut off that album is mary mary, though. There is almost no conceivable way that Rand Paul knew that they're extremely political.

Although I do think it's kinda fun why they wrote tub thumping. It wasn't a cynical cash grab; they legitimately love football. Who knew?

Yeah the single off of Tubthumping is actually by far the worst song on the album. The 90's!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
WaPo is out with a story about the "mutually beneficial relationship" between Hillary Clinton and Boeing during her tenure as Secretary of State. While I think this has the staying power of Gingrich nuptials, the permanent campaign appears to be in full swing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Not sure what the controversy is. Sales is a big part of the SoS job.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

comes along bort posted:

Not sure what the controversy is. Sales is a big part of the SoS job.

Probably that they turned around and donated a bunch to the Clinton Foundation and their lobbyist hosted a fundraiser for Ready for Hillary.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Warszawa posted:

Probably that they turned around and donated a bunch to the Clinton Foundation and their lobbyist hosted a fundraiser for Ready for Hillary.

Gotta get the big money locked down early. Like you said, permanent campaign.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Anyone here ever been a presidential delegate? I sort of want to be my state's only O'Malley delegate in 2016, just because.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah the single off of Tubthumping is actually by far the worst song on the album. The 90's!

It's the only song people like, sorry Grandpa.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

De Nomolos posted:

Anyone here ever been a presidential delegate? I sort of want to be my state's only O'Malley delegate in 2016, just because.

Unfortunately, it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to do this. In primary states delegate slates are submitted by the campaigns, so you'll need to be well connected to the candidate, likely a donation bundler. In caucus states the Democratic Party enforces a viability threshold at each level that makes Ron Pauling your way in more difficult.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also I added Marsha Blackburn to the list in the OP because, gently caress it, I've got Bachmann and West in there, so there's got to be room for someone denying that their visit to NH is about 2016.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Also I added Marsha Blackburn to the list in the OP because, gently caress it, I've got Bachmann and West in there, so there's got to be room for someone denying that their visit to NH is about 2016.

Well maybe she was there for the cheap, tax-free liquor, you ever think of that Joe?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

Unfortunately, it is extremely unlikely that you will be able to do this. In primary states delegate slates are submitted by the campaigns, so you'll need to be well connected to the candidate, likely a donation bundler. In caucus states the Democratic Party enforces a viability threshold at each level that makes Ron Pauling your way in more difficult.

Depending on where he lives it might be possible. A Floridian friend of mine liked Rick Santorum and volunteered for him early on when he was at joke candidate status. They said they might then send him as a delegate if he wanted if Rick won Florida but he didn't so that was that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Precisely how does a Secretary of State avoid cultivating a close relationship with Boeing? They are a foundational element of modern foreign policy.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, they're one of our big SOEs that, instead of being SO'd, owns the state.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chantilly Say posted:

Paul has been bad-mouthing the military-industrial complex lately, which will win him no friends on his side of the aisle leading into 2016.

There is something about Rand Paul for everyone of any ideology to hate. He's DOA.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

De Nomolos posted:

I ran to be an Obama delegate in 2008 in my local district-- it was basically a caucus to pick who would go, and I got knocked out in the first round. It ended up going to the two old hands who worked with the campaign. Check the local rules and see what it'd be, but it'd probably be tough to do.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I actually did attend our state convention in 2012 as a state delegate (which anyone who wants to be one can be, just about) if only to support a friends attempt to go. From what I gathered, if you can get noticed at your district convention and get on the slate of DNC delegates there, you have good odds. I didn't even try for that.

However, if you live in a very blue district, you'll be competing with a lot more people. The good news is that I've moved to a blue city in a deep red district now, where the local committees are very small. My odds have improved, at least. If I remember correctly, I was one of nearly 300 state delegates from my old district. My new one sent about 70 despite being allotted many more. I know someone from a rural district that sent about 40 and got to go despite being 20-something and only a Obama volunteer.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I went to the state convention as an Edwards delegate, even though I'd been a Dean volunteer. By the time the race came to my (then) state, Dean had collapsed and Kerry had cinched it, but Edwards still got slots. Since I lived in the red county part of an otherwise blue/purple congressional district, there weren't enough Edwards people to fill our County's delegate slots and the Edwards folks took us in. A couple of that group - more activist than I - wound up going to the DNC.
So, in short, depends on your state and the year, and solid activism is usually rewarded. Too bad if you don't make it to the convention, though. You'll have made your community a better place for nothing.

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!
Not sure if this is the correct thread for it, or if it's been posted before, but I found some pretty great GOPshots:

Mitchie being a trueblood man:

More, incl. Perry and Christie - http://www.bagnewsnotes.com/2014/03/photographer-mark-peterson-does-cpac/

Cruz alerting us to the pod people:

More, incl. Palin and Rand - http://www.bagnewsnotes.com/2013/10/cruz-palin-and-the-clown-show-courtesy-of-photographer-mark-peterson/

I really like the style Mark Peterson got going with these photos.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cruz is like "WE CANNOT ALLOW THE DEVELOPMENT OF A MASCARA GAP" and Palin's like "gently caress THAT I USE ONLY THE PUREST CRUDE OIL TO ADD BODY TO MY LASHES"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyK1bZZ7E-s

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AAH AAH OH MY GOD THIS IS FULL SCREEN THE FIRST THING I SAW CHANGING TO THIS TAB :stonk:

This will haunt me the rest of my years on this stupid ball of dirt.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Majorian posted:

If another Cain run leads to more fake ads like this, it would be the best possible thing that could happen for this republic.

e: "leads to," not "produces." Obviously Cain's team didn't make that one.

Fake ads having nothing on the real ones

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Skwirl posted:

Fake ads having nothing on the real ones
The fake ads with Mike Tyson were really good.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

Wow, what the gently caress did I just watch? I seriously have no clue what they were even going for with this.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.
If Hillary wins the nomination in 2016, what stance will she take on marijuana?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

AYC posted:

The one that gets her the most votes and least controversy.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Deteriorata posted:

The one that gets her the most votes and least controversy.

Stern disapproval, but states' rights.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

AYC posted:

"Safe, legal...and rare"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bktd_Pi4YJw

• Locked thread