Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

In short, ogs is bad for anything but correspondence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013
Well I ended up playing a handicap game with a 13k goon, I lost badly but Xombar reviewed the game afterwards so it was an edifying experience in the end.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Zekky posted:

Well I ended up playing a handicap game with a 13k goon, I lost badly but Xombar reviewed the game afterwards so it was an edifying experience in the end.

I'm a true 30k. I'm Pander on OGS.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
How long do beginners, and others, usually spend on turns? Are we talking minutes or seconds here.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

It really depends entirely on how much time you have on the clock. Again with literally everything in Go it's not something you consciously think about, you just get a feel for how long you've got with each move having played on those time settings hundreds of times. When you're happy with your move, you play. Generally this means seconds for a joseki sequence maybe 30 seconds to a minute on 30 mins with byo-yomi. Unless it's blitz, in which case you're never happy with your move because oh god no time why did i agree to this

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

goodness posted:

How long do beginners, and others, usually spend on turns? Are we talking minutes or seconds here.

Im a beginner and my moves usually spend way too much of my time (I think 30 seconds to 2 minutes) until I finally have byo-yomi start yelling at me. Im trying to get better at moving faster but go is hard.

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Unless it's blitz, in which case you're never happy with your move because oh god no time why did i agree to this

My only blitz game was an accident and I didnt really know what was going on and oh my god my time :frogsiren:

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Actual time spent varies widely, so a better question is how much time one would spend ideally. Beginners tend to spend too much time agonizing in spots where they simply have no clue, while stronger amateurs often play too quickly when they could in fact find a better move if they took their time.

Also, the stronger you get, the greater the deviations in your move time. Many moves are automatic/unavoidable, while in other spots you may have half a dozen or more viable options to choose between.

I would recommend that beginners take no more than 10 seconds for a move, and maybe 5 seconds on average. Those numbers - especially the maximum time - will go up exponentially as you get stronger. For instance, an amateur dan like me can sometimes productively spend 10 minutes on a single move in a live or correspondence game. More, even, if it's a correspondence game where you're permitting the use of an analysis tool/external resources/etc. I say 10 minutes for a live game because I think that's about the limit of my ability to hold everything in my head... I think if I tried to think longer than that about a move, I would end up going back to reanalyze moves I'd already considered because I could no longer remember what conclusion I'd reached.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
I'm yet to meet anyone who plays slower than me - I'm always on increment on move 75-100 and I play 25 minute KGS games. Seems to work out fine, unless a big fight breaks out in the endgame or something. 10 seconds per move seems insane to me, I really can't read anything with any confidence in that time, so I'll just be autopiloting pretty much and that's baaad because my autopilot goes for extremely submissive/passive or greedy moves which will just lose me the game.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
Hey, who in here is Peaboo? You're a very weird man.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Svartvit posted:

Hey, who in here is Peaboo? You're a very weird man.

His name is P2 and he's like the angry old man of ITGO. :colbert:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If you're a beginner just play as fast as you can until you absolutely can't stand that your stones are getting eaten all the time. That's the time to ask for a review.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

IMlemon posted:

I'm yet to meet anyone who plays slower than me - I'm always on increment on move 75-100 and I play 25 minute KGS games. Seems to work out fine, unless a big fight breaks out in the endgame or something. 10 seconds per move seems insane to me, I really can't read anything with any confidence in that time, so I'll just be autopiloting pretty much and that's baaad because my autopilot goes for extremely submissive/passive or greedy moves which will just lose me the game.

It's good to play a mixture of fast and slow games for this reason. Reading is important, but so is instinct.

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013
I just played a game where I felt like I was doing well, but I didn't end up with much territory at the edges. I think I focused too much on blocking instead of aggressively placing stones. It seemed like I should have been able to achieve more with the position I had around move 75. Would anyone be willing to review the game? It was played on KGS but I'm not sure how to link to it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Uncle Jam posted:

If you're a beginner just play as fast as you can until you absolutely can't stand that your stones are getting eaten all the time. That's the time to ask for a review.

It's so hard for me to play that style. Stupid being a perfectionist :(

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost

Zekky posted:

I just played a game where I felt like I was doing well, but I didn't end up with much territory at the edges. I think I focused too much on blocking instead of aggressively placing stones. It seemed like I should have been able to achieve more with the position I had around move 75. Would anyone be willing to review the game? It was played on KGS but I'm not sure how to link to it.

Download the game from KGS, upload the SGF to here: http://eidogo.com/

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013

sensual donkey punching posted:

Download the game from KGS, upload the SGF to here: http://eidogo.com/

Thanks, uploaded here http://eidogo.com/#2uq4HriqI.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I wrote you some comments. As you said, your main problem is that you take to much influence, and give your opponent to much territory in return.
http://eidogo.com/#25A0LcK1r

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013
How do you properly respond to an invasion? I keep losing to them even if it's behind a well developed wall, for example white placing around G7 in the image below (assuming the edges of the board are where the image cuts off):

It seems like with all the black pieces around you should be able to stop white from achieving much inside your territory.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Zekky posted:

How do you properly respond to an invasion? I keep losing to them even if it's behind a well developed wall, for example white placing around G7 in the image below (assuming the edges of the board are where the image cuts off):

It seems like with all the black pieces around you should be able to stop white from achieving much inside your territory.

That particular territory seems kinda large, like the whole goddamn board...not sure how to respond to that.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, Pander's right. You're showing the wrong part of the board.

Generally speaking, yes, G7 is too close to the Black wall to be a good move, but the outside of that wall is not typically going to be Black territory, but part of a Black moyo.

I guess your problem is that you're playing for a moyo game but don't understand the difference between a moyo and territory.

Without additional information about the whole-board position, I can't recommend any specific move, but generally speaking what you want to do in these positions is play on the opposite side of your opponent's stones and push him into your wall. If he's really being unreasonable you can kill him like that, but usually killing is not the plan, but rather forcing him to live small and without much profit, while you solidify territory elsewhere with your attacking stones.

xopods fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 17, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Are we missing the part where he says "Assuming the edges of the board are where the picture cuts off"?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Kheldragar posted:

Are we missing the part where he says "Assuming the edges of the board are where the picture cuts off"?

That'd kinda make sense. If that's the case, then you pretty much couldn't kill G7 before it could form at least two eyes, it's too far to the black strength.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'm 30k but I'm like 99% sure there's no guaranteed way to kill white there since your influence is just too far away to kill. Limit, yes, but kill no.

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Zekky posted:

If what we're talking about is a 9x9 board then, in my opinion, you should be able to kill all invasions. I think the main way to kill such invasions is to constrict space (and reduce it to a dead shape) or undercut it (and remove the base altogether), depending on the invasion point. Let us consider your example you could try to undercut it with j7, or you could restrict its space with j6 and f8.

Nevertheless these ways of dealing with an invasion only work if you have enough strength to deal with the continuations, like in your problem. Otherwise you can only limit the invasion. The other way to improve your responses to these invasions is to practice your reading and doing life and death, that way when trying to kill you're less likely to make mistakes.

shin42k fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 17, 2014

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I don't think white has much of a chance of living. G7 is no good since black plays j7 and white will never get a second eye. Playing at the 3-3 doesn't work either, since B can play at G8 and J6 and again, no second eye. Black's strength here allows him to make huge dives like this and be perfectly fine.

Zekky
Feb 27, 2013
Finally managed to win a ranked game. Feels good :)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Under 15 posted:

I don't think white has much of a chance of living. G7 is no good since black plays j7 and white will never get a second eye. Playing at the 3-3 doesn't work either, since B can play at G8 and J6 and again, no second eye. Black's strength here allows him to make huge dives like this and be perfectly fine.
What do you think of probing with J5 first?

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Xom posted:

I don't see white living after J5 given the correct followup from black. To be honest most moves from black should prevent white from living as long as black doesn't make any reading mistakes.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

shin42k posted:

I don't see white living after J5 given the correct followup from black. To be honest most moves from black should prevent white from living as long as black doesn't make any reading mistakes.

Yeah, seems like almost anything would work. Black can pull a lot of fast ones because of how strong he is.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Xom posted:

Still not going to work if this is a 9x9 game. White had to make his move before the borders were this firmed up.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Question about counting (The original board IS edited because it is plainly obvious that taking the ko is bigger. Refer to this diagram):

Black has a choice between A and B at this point. What do I do to tell which is the larger move? Well, I can try miai counting but I have no clue how to do that. So here's my attempt at doing so, and maybe Xopods can tell me how to do it correctly and give me examples :v:

How many points does white gain if he gets A? Okay, so he gains two captures and one point of territory for a total of two moves. That gives him 1.5 points.

Okay, so let's say black takes the ko. White t1/t2 are ko threat/followup. Black captures one stone, takes away a capture from white, gains a point at m6, and causes three points of territory to be removed from white in three moves, so it has a value of 2. (Not counting the ko loss he has to weigh in)

Am I doing this right? I'm trying to verify if my count of who lost/gained how much score is accurate.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 20, 2014

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is their a recommended Go Board and Pieces set to order?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

goodness posted:

Is their a recommended Go Board and Pieces set to order?

The only thing I can reccomend is buy a traditional, light board not a dark rosewood or mahogany, because the stones are hard to see. Also although a folding board looks enticing if its poorly made its not fun to play on. If you need portability still buy a trad board but get a good carry case for it. I guess with stones, its personal preference but just make sure they're full sized and the board is full sized because playing on mini gobans is a pain in the rear end. Plastic stones also suck cause they are light and wobbly, if you can get more traditional heavy stones it will feel much better. I guess in summary, just get the cheapest traditional setup you can. GoGameGuru or Yellow Mountain Imports are the best vendors for the west, and GGG will be happy to give you advice on what to buy if you email them, younggil is really friendly and an expert.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I found a pretty great video where Elwyn Berlekamp talks about go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puK3qYiMKpQ

Has a nice segment on the history of go, and why go is awesome.
A basic explanation of the rules.
And a long segment on endgame and counting.

E: he also talks quite a bit about rule systems in the Q&A portion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qya14k8IfA

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 20, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

maybe Xopods can tell me how to do it correctly and give me examples :v:

I'm afraid not. I never really understood the difference between miai and deiri counting. I do the same as everyone else and just play whatever looks biggest to me.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

I'm afraid not. I never really understood the difference between miai and deiri counting. I do the same as everyone else and just play whatever looks biggest to me.

Well, it looks like I should read some endgame books then. Seriously, to me (at least), the Endgame feels like a completely differet game. It feels like Fuseki, the middle game, and the endgame are all three distinct games all crammed into what we call Go.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

The only thing I can reccomend is buy a traditional, light board not a dark rosewood or mahogany, because the stones are hard to see. Also although a folding board looks enticing if its poorly made its not fun to play on. If you need portability still buy a trad board but get a good carry case for it. I guess with stones, its personal preference but just make sure they're full sized and the board is full sized because playing on mini gobans is a pain in the rear end. Plastic stones also suck cause they are light and wobbly, if you can get more traditional heavy stones it will feel much better. I guess in summary, just get the cheapest traditional setup you can. GoGameGuru or Yellow Mountain Imports are the best vendors for the west, and GGG will be happy to give you advice on what to buy if you email them, younggil is really friendly and an expert.

http://shop.gogameguru.com/economy-go-game-set/

This one looks pretty good. Wood board, which has a 19x19 and a 9x9, and glass stones. Not a bad price either.

The next step up is 100$ more, which I don't think is worth it now.

http://shop.gogameguru.com/standard-go-game-set/

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Well, it looks like I should read some endgame books then. Seriously, to me (at least), the Endgame feels like a completely differet game. It feels like Fuseki, the middle game, and the endgame are all three distinct games all crammed into what we call Go.

Yeah, but maybe you should get good at the one that matters before you worry too much about the finer points of the other two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
For what its worth, I like Ing Go stones more than glass, and I have glass stones. I dunno if places still sell those though.