Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

raditts posted:

Yeah Diggle! See you in the next nerd show, Summer Glau.

I'm sure they have a spot for her on AoS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Stone cold, Ollie. :golfclap:

e: FFS Thea, get over it already.

raditts fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 17, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was a really poorly photoshopped photo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

raditts posted:

Yeah Diggle! See you in the next nerd show, Summer Glau.

Not yet.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Figures.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Oh dip

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
Oh hey it's another terminator

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
Good episode, except:

A) Whiny Thea, which I thought we were kinda done with, and
B) Them holding off on Laurel telling Oliver she knows, 'cause, that does nooooot need to be dragged out.

I actually like the reveal with Isabel at the end, 'cause when they killed her, I kinda went, "Oh. Well. That was anti-climactic."

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
It fits the show format, but the anti climatic deaths are usually the best since they're not the norm.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Haven't be following Flash casting news, but can I assume the latino Star Labs guy who used the sound gun on Slade and said "Does this guy give you a bad vibe?" is going to be the Latino sound powered hero Vibe?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VBane posted:

Haven't be following Flash casting news, but can I assume the latino Star Labs guy who used the sound gun on Slade and said "Does this guy give you a bad vibe?" is going to be the Latino sound powered hero Vibe?

His character has the same name. We don't know if he will actually become Vibe.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Everything about this show is glorious. Especially evil Summer Glau :allears:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Rarity posted:

Everything about this show is glorious. Especially evil Summer Glau :allears:

So is she basically Ravager now, because I'd be alright with that?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OmniBeer posted:

A) Whiny Thea, which I thought we were kinda done with, and

Don't start this. Her entire world just got pretty much shattered. She's loving due to be pissed off about it and for a good while. It's like you people just want them to fast forward through any character development that doesn't contain a fight scene.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm not ashamed, I yelled "YES!" when Summer Glau's eyes opened at the end.

Bravo, show.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Deadpool posted:

Don't start this. Her entire world just got pretty much shattered. She's loving due to be pissed off about it and for a good while. It's like you people just want them to fast forward through any character development that doesn't contain a fight scene.

Yeah, my fiancé was saying the same sort of thing, but Thea, out of all the characters on the show, has a right to be pissed off and angry. This isn't Vertigo-popping Thea of Season 1 who was just a spoiled rich girl, she's actually got legitimate excuses for her behavior.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Deadpool posted:

No, you're right, that was an overreaction on my part. I think I just expected more from the scene when Ollie told her about his dad knowing about Merlyn- not a full, "Oh okay everything is sunshine and rainbows!", but more of a recognition.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her reaction was dumb because of the whole thing they did with her and Walter already.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait was worth it, another astounding episode.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The Star Labs guys were spoutin' some Smallville-caliber dialogue, which was both disappointing and terrifying, but everything else about the episode was pretty awesome.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

They dudes from the spinoff seemed god awful. I guess I'm a little less excited for Flash now.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

omg chael crash posted:

They dudes from the spinoff seemed god awful. I guess I'm a little less excited for Flash now.

This was also their first appearance. It's entirely possible that the first season of the Flash spinoff will be like Arrow's: kinda middling at first while the actors (and to a lesser extent the writers) nail some things down, then drat good once it gets going.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

This episode was really uneven.

The stupid:
- Why would anyone invent a machine that transfuses blood from one person to 20? That just makes no drat scientific sense, it'd kill the one person and not do anything for the 20.

- Does noone know how to close a goddamn lockable door behind them? When those two soon to be Flash supporting characters were running from Slade she left not one, but two doors open behind her. And its not like there was no time, either, she was just standing at the first one and the second Slade had been knocked down. Try and slow him down at least a little, huh, super brainy scientist chick?

- Also, when I first saw the hispanic kid at Star Labs I was like woo! Jaime Reyes! And then...

quote:

can I assume the latino Star Labs guy who used the sound gun on Slade and said "Does this guy give you a bad vibe?" is going to be the Latino sound powered hero Vibe?
Vibe?! gently caress, please no. He is never going to be cool, DC, stop shoving his 90s throwback rear end down our throats.

- Why was Laurel at Star Labs, again? Also her amazing threat to quit her job and sue the city unless they released her dad and dropped the charges. At least boss lady threatened her that it wasn't always going to be this easy, because yeah, that was too easy.

- River Tam's woman scorned backstory. Apparently all the Queen men are incapable of keeping it in their pants and the only reason a beautiful young woman becomes a martial arts badass/CEO before 30 is because she's pissed her sugar daddy - sorry, SOUL MATE - wouldn't leave his family for her.

- Ollie shooting the power panel instead of the machine itself once he decided he wasn't going to believe the bad guy when he said stopping his master plan would kill his friend. Also Ollie not unhooking any of the bad guys from the super bad guy making machine. I mean if it'll kill Roy to stop the process won't it kill them too? Its not got the best track record in the world...

- ...or not. All escaped convicts just so happened to survive the mirakuru transfusion process when it was dropping people like flies previously.

The predictable:

Hearing that Ollie's master plan is to let Slade drain himself with said McGuffin transfusion machine then attack him when he's weak immediately made me say 'and Slade of course knows this so who else would he go grab that is local and has mirakuru in his system currently HRM WHO EVER COULD HE FIND.' Yet it was supposed to be a big reveal when hey, its Roy.

The cool:

- The fight in the Arrow Cave. Escrima sticks!

- Diggle shooting River Tam. Yay Diggle had something to do!

- River Tam coming back (as the Ravager). Summer Glau really is too good to waste in the bit role she's had this season.

- Bludhaven mention!

- Ollie shooting Ivo right in the middle of his deathbed confession. Hah.

- Ollie telling Sarah he didn't let her kill him because killing changes you and he didn't want her to have to go through that. Irony, thy name is Queen.

- Ollie telling everyone he had a chance to cure Slade but chose to kill him instead. Man, when you gently caress up, you really gently caress up, Queen.

- Laurel deciding not to throw it in Oliver's face that she knows, or tell her dad. Oliver really needed that hug though I was amused at the 'oh poo poo is she coming onto me' confused, slightly suspicious expression on his face.

All told, this was the weakest episode in awhile, saved by the action scenes.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I hope Laurel's new role is just to go around threatening to sue people/tie people up in litigation.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I miss snarky, alcoholic 'truth hurts, here have a double barrel unvarnished helping of it' Laurel. :( She was with us for such a short time...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oracle posted:

The stupid:
- Why would anyone invent a machine that transfuses blood from one person to 20? That just makes no drat scientific sense, it'd kill the one person and not do anything for the 20.

It was invented by a super villain.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

But defended by aforementioned brainy scientist chick who insisted it was pre-patent and a big secret.

Of course she doesn't know how to close a secured door to stop a murdering costumed psychopath so maybe she isn't all that bright.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Oracle posted:

The stupid:

- Does noone know how to close a goddamn lockable door behind them? When those two soon to be Flash supporting characters were running from Slade she left not one, but two doors open behind her. And its not like there was no time, either, she was just standing at the first one and the second Slade had been knocked down. Try and slow him down at least a little, huh, super brainy scientist chick?

- Also, when I first saw the hispanic kid at Star Labs I was like woo! Jaime Reyes! And then...
Vibe?! gently caress, please no. He is never going to be cool, DC, stop shoving his 90s throwback rear end down our throats.

- Why was Laurel at Star Labs, again? Also her amazing threat to quit her job and sue the city unless they released her dad and dropped the charges. At least boss lady threatened her that it wasn't always going to be this easy, because yeah, that was too easy.

- River Tam's woman scorned backstory. Apparently all the Queen men are incapable of keeping it in their pants and the only reason a beautiful young woman becomes a martial arts badass/CEO before 30 is because she's pissed her sugar daddy - sorry, SOUL MATE - wouldn't leave his family for her.

- Ollie shooting the power panel instead of the machine itself once he decided he wasn't going to believe the bad guy when he said stopping his master plan would kill his friend. Also Ollie not unhooking any of the bad guys from the super bad guy making machine. I mean if it'll kill Roy to stop the process won't it kill them too? Its not got the best track record in the world...

- ...or not. All escaped convicts just so happened to survive the mirakuru transfusion process when it was dropping people like flies previously.

The predictable:

Hearing that Ollie's master plan is to let Slade drain himself with said McGuffin transfusion machine then attack him when he's weak immediately made me say 'and Slade of course knows this so who else would he go grab that is local and has mirakuru in his system currently HRM WHO EVER COULD HE FIND.' Yet it was supposed to be a big reveal when hey, its Roy.

The cool:

- The fight in the Arrow Cave. Escrima sticks!

- Diggle shooting River Tam. Yay Diggle had something to do!

- River Tam coming back (as the Ravager). Summer Glau really is too good to waste in the bit role she's had this season.

- Bludhaven mention!

- Ollie shooting Ivo right in the middle of his deathbed confession. Hah.

- Ollie telling Sarah he didn't let her kill him because killing changes you and he didn't want her to have to go through that. Irony, thy name is Queen.

- Ollie telling everyone he had a chance to cure Slade but chose to kill him instead. Man, when you gently caress up, you really gently caress up, Queen.

- Laurel deciding not to throw it in Oliver's face that she knows, or tell her dad. Oliver really needed that hug though I was amused at the 'oh poo poo is she coming onto me' confused, slightly suspicious expression on his face.

All told, this was the weakest episode in awhile, saved by the action scenes.

You should probably avoid comic book material if you get hung up on that stuff.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Loved this episode and it was definitely worth the wait.

I think with the cameos, it's because The Flash is going to very blatantly be a different tone than the grimdark Arrow, so it was really jarring. In context of its own show, where the hero is dropping knowledge in the middle of fights, I'm sure they'll be just fine. Also, it's a show that is Actually Happening, so that's pretty cool in its own right.

Really can't wait for Roy to Hulk out next week. :allears:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Oracle posted:

I agree that Ollie should have destroyed the machine (though I don't know if he had the capability to do so, given that arrows wouldn't destroy it and he couldn't blow it up with Roy strapped in), but the mirakuru survival thing was explained. Basically, for science reasons, the machine allowed the drug to enter the body in such a way/through such a process that it solved the "lethal reaction" problem. It will be interesting to see if it still makes people crazy, especially if psycho ultra-strong Isabel has to give a boardroom presentation while gritting her teeth and breaking dozens of pens.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oracle posted:

- Why was Laurel at Star Labs, again?

I saw another person ask this. It was pretty well laid out for you. She was casing out the Arrowcave (because she had put all the pieces together about Oliver and Sarah) and when they left to go there she tailed them. I'm not sure how anyone managed to miss this.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Oracle posted:

River Tam's woman scorned backstory. Apparently all the Queen men are incapable of keeping it in their pants and the only reason a beautiful young woman becomes a martial arts badass/CEO before 30 is because she's pissed her sugar daddy - sorry, SOUL MATE - wouldn't leave his family for her.

I just took that as her being a batshit narcissist.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Oracle posted:

The stupid:

I haven't seen this episode yet, but if you don't mind killing the original guy, you can theoretically get the blood to about 15 people, assuming the person is 200lbs. That's also assuming that nobody needs whole blood, and the distribution of blood components required is also even. Highly unlikely, but possible without the machine.

Now, there's a new technique that allows you to do multiple tests with a single drop of blood (or whatever sample). I don't think that's what you meant, but it's definitely a game-changer for the medical field. But short of cloning, there's no way that you could distribute blood to that many people without killing the person. But again, if you didn't mind killing him, an obese person would have enough blood to serve 20 people, assuming 1/3rd got platelets, 1/3rd got Erythro, 1/3rd got plasma/clot factors.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Oracle posted:

Isabel's woman scorned backstory is from the comics. That said, it was pretty loving stupid in the comics as well. And nobody forced the showrunners to have Oliver sleep with Isabel, which is now just loving disgusting.

As much as Iron Man 2 sucked, they should have pulled a Whiplash on Isabel ("Your father destroyed my family's life, prepare to die!") instead of keeping that idiotic "I'm mad because a significantly older man who slept with me stopped sleeping with me" bull. Poor Summer.

My enthusiasm for this show has dropped a lot since it's been revealed that the showrunners are basically flying by the seat of their pants, with no plan whatsoever. Things like Diggle, Felicity, and Sara being awesome are just happy accidents, and their motivation for their primary villain of the season is terrible. At least Malcolm's fall to villiany was reasonable.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Next week's preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knPQ1FVgZ64

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Oracle posted:

I'm pretty sure that's it's mostly just designed as a mass transfusion device, from 20 people to 20, and Slade has adapted it. One of the questions was why he stole it, since he didn't need a transfusion. Or possibly a transfusion from 20 to 1?

Oracle posted:

People in panic do silly things, and just because you're intelligent doesn't mean you react the right way.

Oracle posted:

Ths was also explained. The transfusion was occurring in the machine, which meant that it wasn't occurring in the convicts. Thus, they all survived. Note that he was using Roy's blood as the transfusion agent, where it already works. :techno:

I mean, yeah, it's a little bit of a stretch, but this is a show with a miracle drug that can cure having 50% of your body burned. Not really outside the bounds of believability.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Paradise Lost posted:

Oh hey it's another terminator

I wonder if her head person will be Olivers dad.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Jesus, I can't stand Super-Smug Laurel saving the day because being a lawyer is magic, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey guys! I made the OP for the first season, but abandoned the show after the mediocre Huntress/Firebug run. Which turned out to be a terrible decision, because pretty much every episode after that was fantastic. Anyway, I'm caught up again and disappointed that I have to wait weekly now.

While there were issues with the ending of the Suicide Squad episode (why would Waller want to kill arguably their most valuable asset anyway?) I enjoyed it overall and am hoping against logic that they're gonna do a spinoff with them, as a show about psychotic people doing incredibly dangerous things could be a load of fun. Only if they can get the rights to Harley, though.

That brings me to another point: I'm super annoyed that they're locked off from the Batfamily. Does DC really think that Harley, Catwoman, Ivy, et al. would better served by being in Gotham, which is looking like the biggest piece of poo poo they've put out since... I dunno, Man of Steel? gently caress that, make Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad spinoffs from Arrow and stick them in there (or even better--though significantly less likely--a Gotham City Sirens show, I actually loved that series, cheescake artwork and all). I mean, they've already got a DCW universe started, why not go in whole hog and make shows for all their major characters/teams?

Oracle posted:

Vibe?!

My first thought as well. Kinda disappointed, though I should have known that the Arrow writers wouldn't put an alien powersuit in their universe (though I guess one made by S.T.A.R. labs would be acceptable?).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 17, 2014

• Locked thread