Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

KidDynamite posted:

Mass Drop is going Journey into Nyx boxes for 87.99 if they get 100 buyers. Shipping on May 2nd. Can anyone tell me why this isn't a good idea?

It's a bad idea if:
- You are absolutely terrible at card evaluation
- You are unable to sell overrated cards swiftly
- You don't have patience to let Standard playables mature
- You don't actually have $88 of disposable income
- You hate opening booster packs

Otherwise have at it. Average box value is already at ~$115 (Ben Bleiweiss's formula, grain of salt etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

KidDynamite posted:

Mass Drop is going Journey into Nyx boxes for 87.99 if they get 100 buyers. Shipping on May 2nd. Can anyone tell me why this isn't a good idea?

Do they ship internationally?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

I imagine if they were to do a functional reprint they would make them just legendary versions of the original duals, because the only reason they would open them up more is for EDH anyway.

Or, you know, Legacy.

But yeah, what people are saying, it's not happening unless they walkback their walkbacks.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

KidDynamite posted:

I normally buy 1 box and 1 fatpack to support my LGS, but this is looking like a baller set. I might get one from them, too.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
Magic Online Announcements April 15, 2014

May MOCS Promo

Bayou

May Event Promo

Pain Seer

May Store Promo

Tormented Hero

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

God that Tormented Hero looks horrid.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I'd have to disagree with you there, that thing is much better than the original art.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

I'd have to disagree with you there, that thing is much better than the original art.

Well I hate how that one looks too so there's that.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kraus posted:

A niece of a woman I was seeing is named Elspeth and some friends of mine named their second daughter Avacyn as well.

Elspeth is another real-world name though. It's like a Scottish variant of Elizabeth.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The promo tormented hero is well-done but it's a bit too :emo: for me, even if that is sort of the point of the card.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Samael posted:

Do they ship internationally?

Depends on where they have distributers. I know when I still lived up in Canada they did have as Massdrop distribution centre there so I had no problems getting on box drops. Depends on where you are, but you can check it out.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mikujin posted:

Depends on where they have distributers. I know when I still lived up in Canada they did have as Massdrop distribution centre there so I had no problems getting on box drops. Depends on where you are, but you can check it out.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

AnacondaHL posted:

It's a bad idea if:
- You are absolutely terrible at card evaluation
- You are unable to sell overrated cards swiftly
- You don't have patience to let Standard playables mature
- You don't actually have $88 of disposable income
- You hate opening booster packs

Otherwise have at it. Average box value is already at ~$115 (Ben Bleiweiss's formula, grain of salt etc.)

I'm all over this. I usually get a box from my judge friend for $70 of each new set, but this one looks good enough that I want two.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Count Bleck posted:

Very few promo cards have art that don't look like rejected versions of the normal card. Seems to me, anyway.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Applebees posted:

May MOCS Promo

Bayou

Abolish the reserved list so I can have that art. :eyepop:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Very few promo cards have art that don't look like rejected versions of the normal card. Seems to me, anyway.

I mean, Warleader's Helix, Ghor-Clan Rampager, and Grisly Salvage all have Nice Arts.png

And those were all in a row. Shame.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

KidDynamite posted:

Because, the value of a box will quickly settle to ~$50 unless a couple of chase rares get spoiled. It'll be most of the way there by the time you get yours in your hands. If you want to pay for the experience of opening a box, by all means. But don't treat it as value or an investment.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

The promo Restoration Angel looked about a million times better than the regular art. Unless you're super into silk bodice angels.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

JerryLee posted:

Or, you know, Legacy.

But yeah, what people are saying, it's not happening unless they walkback their walkbacks.

But they don't seem to care about supporting legacy outside of already existing playerbases, they do seem to be making more EDH cards though.

EDIT: What I'm saying is it would be a TNN type of thing, and I would guess the reprinted duals would fit best as legendary lands in an EDH set that happen to be good in legacy.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 16, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

But they don't seem to care about supporting legacy outside of already existing playerbases, they do seem to be making more EDH cards though.

EDIT: What I'm saying is it would be a TNN type of thing, and I would guess the reprinted duals would fit best as legendary lands in an EDH set that happen to be good in legacy.

They push cards for Legacy (at least on paper; whether they actually get adopted for Legacy in any serious numbers is another matter) in sets and box products, the same way as they do cards targeted at casuals. If they ever do put proper neo-duals in a summer product, I guarantee you that part of the calculus is "hey, this will help more people play legacy!" I guess this is sort of what you mean by a TNN type of thing.

Between snow duals and legendary duals--neither of which, of course, are actually going to happen in the current status quo--snow duals make a lot more sense since being able to play up to 4 is very relevant for Legacy, and there's no difference in EDH outside of the niche cases of 'legendary matters'.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

KidDynamite posted:

I know the whole set isn't spoiled yet, but would it be weird to draft triple-JOU? A friend of mine has been talking about getting a box of whatever and doing a small draft with a few friends, he would be all over this if such a format could work. Can small third sets work on their own like that?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 16, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I guess they don't have a Canadian distributor for it this time around. I definitely did drops for both RTR and THS, which arrived (albeit later than expected because they hosed up).

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

I know the whole set isn't spoiled yet, but would it be weird to draft triple-JOU? A friend of mine has been talking about getting a box of whatever and doing a small draft with a few friends, he would be all over this if such a format could work. Can small third sets work on their own like that?

It won't have a lot of replay value, but triple small set can be fun once or twice.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
If your friend lives in Brisbane, Australia, that would be me.

As it stands, I'm going to have to pay roughly twice that because nobody ships to Australia and the local stores know that. :shepicide:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Does anybody know if you can use MTGMadness's promo codes as many times as you want or is it restricted to once per account?

I want a free Grafdigger's Cage but I want to get free Spreading Seas and Vapor Snags when they get them in as well! :buddy:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

quote:

Secrets, like coins, are easy to steal.
Looks like more Conspiracy fun stuff coming out. I'm really digging this social media marketing on this set.

+1 Target?
-2?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

It turns out he's not a Planeswalker, he's a Planeswoggler.

e: Here's how that image was found, by the way. Whoever was in charge of the marketing for this deserves a raise, it's great.

vOv fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 17, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dack Fajita

Planeswoggler

+1:

-∂:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
That was fast. Izzet! Emblems! Gain control!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

+1 Target player draws a card and you draw two cards?
-2 Gain control of target permanent?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

If he's 3CMC and that +2 is Draw 2 Discard 2 he could be pretty awesome.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I can't see the +1 being anything other than "Target player draws two cards then discards two cards"

Nothing else fits/makes sense.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Just guessing:

-6 You get an emblem that says "Whenever a player casts a spell that targets you or a permanent you control, copy it. You may choose new targets for that spell."

I feel decent about my +1 guess, as it's a very useful multiplayer ability. I'm still probably wrong.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Pinwiz11 posted:

Just guessing:

-6 You get an emblem that says "Whenever a player casts a spell that targets you or a permanent you control, copy it. You may choose new targets for that spell."

I feel confident about my +1 guess, as it's a very useful multiplayer ability. I'm still probably wrong.

Your +1 doesn't make any sense. Why would you target someone other than yourself?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Pinwiz11 posted:

+1 Target player draws a card and you draw two cards?

I target myself!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

You're all correct, why wouldn't you target yourself. Target player loots 2 is much more likely.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Dr. Stab posted:

Your +1 doesn't make any sense. Why would you target someone other than yourself?
Multiplayer format so there may be synergies with it plus that simple 'target player' means you can make friends or bitter enemies.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

That would be an insane +1 ability. Even the loot two is really good. And I agree almost definitely it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I for one would play format with a viable Planeswalker named Dack Fayden Greatest Thief In The Multiverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Not to derail from DACK FAYDEN, GREATEST THIEF IN THE MULTIVERSE chat, but I had to step away from MTG Salvation card evaluation threads. They are so, so bad, it makes my teeth hurt. They evaluate every creature as though your opponent has two open mana and a Doom Blade in hand at all times, and every 3-drop as though your opponent has T3 Domri T4 Polukranos in every game.

• Locked thread