Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Kraus posted:

Anyone arguing that he doesn't have a bankai on the basis of him having to say the release command, remember that we know Shunsui has a bankai and that we've seen him give the release command for his sword.

I don't think anyone was saying that Kenpachi has no Bankai, just that he hasn't used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Kenpachi probably doesn't have bankai and this will probably be his last major fight and all of you will be upset about it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is it just me or is the sword... Upside down? Can someone photoshop it and turn it around so the blunt bit at the end is the guard and the curved bit is at the end? I mean it makes sense for Ken's to be weird, but it seems to me that would make it look more like a sword than an axe/smashy thing.

Yeah that part is confusing the gently caress out of me, too. What is that blunt bit at the end? Why is it there? What is it even FOR? What does it add to the sword functionality-wise? Because it looks to me like it'd just get in the way of the blade's cutting ability any time you try to make an edge-down vertical slash. Like putting a wedge of plastic over the tip of a kitchen knife. :psyduck:

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Sprite141 posted:

We've never seen him use his bankai. So that was his shikai you saw against starrk.

Not my point. Everyone knows that was his shikai. I am responding to the people in the thread saying "Kenpachi can't have a bankai because he had to say the release command for his zanpakuto." And what I am pointing out is that you can still say your release command for shikai if you want to, even if you have bankai. Shusui's said it, Byakuya's said it, Yamamoto said it, etc.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Yeah that part is confusing the gently caress out of me, too. What is that blunt bit at the end? Why is it there? What is it even FOR? What does it add to the sword functionality-wise? Because it looks to me like it'd just get in the way of the blade's cutting ability any time you try to make an edge-down vertical slash. Like putting a wedge of plastic over the tip of a kitchen knife. :psyduck:

Good news! Vertical slashes don't work in this manga so it doesn't matter.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Caros posted:

If rose and kensai are dead but no one gives a gently caress, were they ever alive at all?

They're ghost swordsmen, of course they're dead.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

As someone said, it's likely just top-heavy like an executioner's axe.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I will say I kind of liked Ikkaku's bankai better in terms of sheer implausibility. THREE! ALL OF THEM ROUGHLY THE SIZE OF A PRIVATE JET! And he could spin them and poo poo!

Still in the running for most death metal bankai.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Soi Fon's bankai is pretty pathetic, really.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Syrant posted:

As someone said, it's likely just top-heavy like an executioner's axe.

Yup. There's such a thing as balance when it comes to sword or cutting instruments. Although it is largely ignored in series such as this, the weight at the end increases the cutting force due to the pull of gravity and inertia.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Swillkitsch posted:

I will say I kind of liked Ikkaku's bankai better in terms of sheer implausibility. THREE! ALL OF THEM ROUGHLY THE SIZE OF A PRIVATE JET! And he could spin them and poo poo!

Still in the running for most death metal bankai.

Too bad we will never see Ikkaku's bankai again.

He used it once in a fight, ever, broke it, and that was that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Thoren posted:

Too bad we will never see Ikkaku's bankai again.

He used it once in a fight, ever, broke it, and that was that.

*Against a guy who was like, the underling of an underling

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AnonSpore posted:

*Against a guy who was like, the underling of an underling

Ikkaku's also a more accomplished mook.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Saitama's meteor punch was more destructive.

Unfortunately, it did trash most of the city.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pixaal posted:

Good news! Vertical slashes don't work in this manga so it doesn't matter.

Unless you two-hand them.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Schubalts posted:

I don't think anyone was saying that Kenpachi has no Bankai, just that he hasn't used it.

His bankai will be:

the same sword but now it has a tip

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Backweb posted:

His bankai will be:

the same sword but now it has a tip

Just the tip.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

"Swallow, Nozarashi. Just the tip. Er, uh, bankai."

As for the cap on the sword an unlikely but I think is cool explanation would be that he only agreed to call upon it if it was nerfed somehow so as to not make it TOO easy of a battle.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Here's some Bleach raw+translation apparently.

http://www.mangabird.com/bleach-578-index?page=0

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Gremmy opens a portal to loving outer space and he still doesn't really accomplish anything. God drat.

Kenpachi :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hah!
It's offline for now.

nevermind

Kenpachi is fuckin loving this poo poo.

He's just no-selling the entire thing and it. is. glorious.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 23, 2014

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The end of that one whiffed me entirely. What the hell? :pwn:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Chapter 578.

Haha, dumbass kid imagined himself to death.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

This chapter is quintessential Kubo

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
So dude couldn't imagine himself strong enough to beat Kenpachi and his body exploded cause it couldn't handle how strong he'd have to be. Pretty cool.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Kenpachi is still the best. :black101:

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

PringleCreamEgg posted:

So dude couldn't imagine himself strong enough to beat Kenpachi and his body exploded cause it couldn't handle how strong he'd have to be. Pretty cool.

As soon as it started, I immediately thought "Oh god he's going Time Butler, he's dead" and it was glorious :neckbeard:

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Really kind of an interesting power once we learned more about it. The double-edged sword of Godlike power. Gremmy could imagine anything, even something disadvantageous to himself, and it would instantly happen. He literally just imagined himself big and strong enough to physically crush Kenpachi and he forgot to make his bones and muscles out of iron or some poo poo and his frail body just tore apart trying to build the mass. loving metal as hell and this way Kenpachi got a last fight against the technically strongest person ever and won, so he can sit out the rest of the series and look like a badass.

And how hosed is Ichigo when Ywach gets this power back?

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Advice posted:

And how hosed is Ichigo when Ywach gets this power back?

Ichigo will be so brokenly powerful that Yhwach dies the same way

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well at least the fight's over now. Hopefully the next Quincy will be more exciting.

So is there just no explanation as to how Kenpachi survived getting spaced? And for that matter how he was able to move? That's pretty bullshit.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

BlitzBlast posted:

Well at least the fight's over now. Hopefully the next Quincy will be more exciting.

So is there just no explanation as to how Kenpachi survived getting spaced? And for that matter how he was able to move? That's pretty bullshit.
The explanation is Kenpachi is badass and Bleach fights have always relied more on what would be cool than logic.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
He imagined Kenpachi to be so strong that he'd survive anything, so Kenpachi did. Personally, I think Kenpachi was disappointed just because other than slashing the meteor, Gremmy did all the work for him.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BlitzBlast posted:

well... in spiritual outer-space your lungs cannot properly breathe spirit-air and your spiritron bodily fluids evaporate real fast but Ken survived because his ghost body is just that strong poo poo doesn't make sense, you don't need any explanation for something as silly as this poo poo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BlitzBlast posted:

Despite what Imagination Boy thought, being in a vacuum won't immediately cause you to explode and die. He's been watching too many bad sci fi movies. That was an interesting way to end the fight though, he thought Ken was a unbeatable monster, so his imagination made it true, then he tears himself apart trying to become something stronger.
Also, Ken's meteor disposal method is the same as Saitama's; just smash it to poo poo and don't worry where the bits fall.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Ghosts don't need to breathe in space.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Elysiume posted:

The explanation is Kenpachi is badass and Bleach fights have always relied more on what would be cool than logic.

Brock Sampson did it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Who cares how he did it? That chapter was the best one BLEACH has had in a while. :allears:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

I wonder which plot thread we'll jump to now. Ichigo? The Fullbringers? A new sternritter entirely? Orihime and Chad and everyone else who's been farting around in Hueco Mundo for over a year now?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I actually think that was kinda boring. I was hoping for something more fighty and hands-on from Kenpachi. Hopefully he'll get to fight someone else before this is all said and done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Attestant posted:

I actually think that was kinda boring. I was hoping for something more fighty and hands-on from Kenpachi. Hopefully he'll get to fight someone else before this is all said and done.

i dunno Kenpachi just *cut through outer space* to cut the kid (and i think all of his copies?) in half. I think his ability is literally "cut anything" including abstract concepts and the spacetime continuum

that's pretty metal

• Locked thread