Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
The thread title never fails to baffle, enrage and amuse me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Part of me is hoping that he went to see a therapist and the therapist ordered him to stop posting in this thread and that's why he abandoned it.

But we all know that's probably not true.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Part of me is hoping that he went to see a therapist and the therapist ordered him to stop posting in this thread and that's why he abandoned it.

But we all know that's probably not true.

He does (allegedly) take advice from people who aren't us, so maybe, just maybe...

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
He stopped taking the meds that prevented him from hearing his name randomly being called in public. He's not doing anything but being the same piece of poo poo he always has.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Let's just face it: tomorrow finally came.

But I do have to say, Benny, I am a little put off that after all the help I've offered you both in thread and outside that you'd block me on messenger for inquiring about how you're doing.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Benny you super suck.

Super duper super hard.

You suck!

SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK.

I just got a new job with two felonies in my criminal background. A full-time job that pays well. With only a high school diploma.

Like seriously benny.

YOU SUCK!!!!!!

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

That drat Satyr posted:

Let's just face it: tomorrow finally came.

But I do have to say, Benny, I am a little put off that after all the help I've offered you both in thread and outside that you'd block me on messenger for inquiring about how you're doing.

He probably noticed the pattern of him annoying IM contacts to the point where they either ignore him, mock him a little bit in this thread (like I did), or mock him a whole lot and divulge things he's told them in confidence.

Magnus Gallant posted:

Benny you super suck.

Super duper super hard.

You suck!

SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK SUCK.

I just got a new job with two felonies in my criminal background. A full-time job that pays well. With only a high school diploma.

Like seriously benny.

YOU SUCK!!!!!!

Well what were the felonies

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Drug felonies. Convicted two months ago.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Magnus Gallant posted:

Drug felonies. Convicted two months ago.

Nice, congrats. Hope it's a tolerable job.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

oval office raja posted:

Nice, congrats. Hope it's a tolerable job.

Thanks! Yeah it's a pretty great job. I'm happy.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So when I left this thread last month, I swore to myself that I wouldn't come back until I had actual good news. Of course, I've pretty much burned bridges with each and every one of you and revealed myself as a compulsive liar. So if you don't believe a word I say, as far as I'm concerned I had it coming.

Last week I had an interview at a local company for a data entry position. The company is an import business: they buy merchandise from China (gaming accessories, toys, etc.) and sell them online. They're moving to a new online retailer and they need someone to move their inventory. I called earlier today and the manager offered me a job, which I accepted. Orientation starts tomorrow. The shifts are six hours so it's a part-time position. I never asked about pay or benefits, as it's a bad idea to do so during the interview. I'll learn about that tomorrow. I feel incredibly blessed to not only have a job, but one that works towards my volunteer experience and degree.

Now on to health insurance. My family decided we should sign up together to share our costs. We started the application process for Covered California back in February and finalized the application before the final date. We're not eligible for the silver plan, but we are eligible for Medi-Cal. None of us have received any word from them because, as I learned from when I first applied, they're as slow as molasses in the middle of winter.

And finally, in order to prevent the mistakes I made working at Target, I called my psych the first thing after I confirmed the orientation date. My appointment is Friday at five. My manger told me I'd officially start either Friday or next Monday, so hopefully I'll be able to make it to my appointment. Right now, I feel more optimistic about my future than I've ever been before.

EDIT: I haven't read anything from the middle of page 123 to now. Maybe I'll get back to them some day so if I missed anything I'll get back to it later.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 17, 2014

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

It's not a bad idea to ask about pay at an interview, goddamn asgkjskghsdgl. But good for you.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

It's not a bad idea to ask about pay at an interview, goddamn asgkjskghsdgl. But good for you.
It's what I learned from my interview workshop.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Normally I'd laugh myself silly about the idea of accepting a job offer without knowing what the compensation is, but I'll make a temporary exception. Progress!

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!
I'm a softie bleeding-heart milksop, so I'll just say good for you, Benny, and hope things work out well. (Seriously.)

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
I will congratulate Benny tomorrow.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Wow. Finally did it. How many days a week are you working?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Aqua Bear posted:

Wow. Finally did it. How many days a week are you working?
I was so nervous during my interview that I forgot to ask :doh: I'll find out tomorrow. To be fair, I did ask the one question that impressed him: what is your ideal candidate? Not too many people ask that question during interviews. Once he told me, I told him how I was that ideal candidate by talking about my previous experience doing data entry, leading interns, and making cold calls for the political campaign.

Oh I forgot to mention. I've been volunteering at the library since last week. I plan to continue volunteering. The turnover rate for paid positions is high, so as long as I'm volunteering and I work hard, I should be able to get a paid position. And I can't imagine being happier working at the library than anywhere else.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
Yay Benny!!!

You probably won't hear from the insurance people. I didn't. I just up and got cards in the mail then a few days after that is when they called to make sure I got them and the handbook.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Benny the Snake posted:

I was so nervous during my interview that I forgot to ask :doh: I'll find out tomorrow. To be fair, I did ask the one question that impressed him: what is your ideal candidate? Not too many people ask that question during interviews. Once he told me, I told him how I was that ideal candidate by talking about my previous experience doing data entry, leading interns, and making cold calls for the political campaign.

Woah, déjà vu. Isn't this pretty much verbatim what you said about your sears interview? :confused:

Glad you got a job though, congratulations!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Shelf Adventure posted:

Woah, déjà vu. Isn't this pretty much verbatim what you said about your sears interview? :confused:

Glad you got a job though, congratulations!
What I had going for me for this job were two things: one that I lived nearby and two I graduated from Cal Poly Pomona. The manager told me his niece and nephew graduated from Cal Poly as well. So I had to focus on my data entry experience.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Benny the Snake posted:

What I had going for me for this job were two things: one that I lived nearby and two I graduated from Cal Poly Pomona. The manager told me his niece and nephew graduated from Cal Poly as well. So I had to focus on my data entry experience.

Good news!

Hopefully the next time you come back to the thread it will be with news just as good or better. Things can only go up, yes?

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
God bless.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

For most people accepting a job without knowing the salary, hours worked per week or when you start woring would be.. funny, but it's progress.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I dont know, I can see being nervous during an interview and forgetting, especially if a workshop said no to do so. For future ref, while it does feel risky to ask, it might be safe at the end when you are asking questions, and it is safe after he says you have the job. Hours and shifts are always valid questions unless they are obvious.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Yay Benny!!

Just to clarify -- it is bad to ask during an interview, generally. But it IS ok (and you should, you goon) ask what the salary and hours are when you are offered the job, before you accept.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
Here, just in case you left this out too:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I want this to be true, Benny. I want it so bad. Congrats, man.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

Oh I forgot to mention. I've been volunteering at the library since last week. I plan to continue volunteering. The turnover rate for paid positions is high, so as long as I'm volunteering and I work hard, I should be able to get a paid position. And I can't imagine being happier working at the library than anywhere else.

Congrats, Benny. Don't worry about the exact number of days, just keep moving forward.

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
Good for you Benny :unsmith:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Glad you're doing well, but I'd be lying if I'm not a bit disappointed you didn't come back with tales of how you rammed a shopping cart through your house.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Congrats on the job Benny!

I take back how harsh I was earlier.

From this point forward, nothing in your life is more important than being a good employee. No matter what they ask you say yes. Work hard and be honest.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Well, poo poo! Great news!

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

if you've learned nothing else from this shitshow of a thread, at least learn this. Lying is for children, and when people learn you've lied, that's what they view you as.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Good job Benny. I genuinely hope you're telling the truth because it would be nice for something positive to happen for you, even after all of your...well, Benniness. I really, really hope you stick with this for a while, long enough that you can earn some self-confidence. And consistent appointments with the therapist.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Benny the Snake posted:

Last week I had an interview at a local company for a data entry position. The company is an import business: they buy merchandise from China (gaming accessories, toys, etc.) and sell them online. They're moving to a new online retailer and they need someone to move their inventory to a new online retailer. I called earlier today and the manager offered me a job, which I accepted. Orientation starts tomorrow. The shifts are six hours so it's a part-time position. I never asked about pay or benefits, as it's a bad idea to do so during the interview. I'll learn about that tomorrow. I feel incredibly blessed to not only have a job, but one that works towards my volunteer experience and degree.

A few things:

It's probably bad form to ask about salary during an actual interview, but it's perfectly reasonable at the moment the person offers you the job. At that point you are entering negotiations on the position, and it is proper to know the terms you are accepting for employment.

The position, as noted in your post seems like a short term job at the start. This isn't bad, it is still good work experience in a non retail environment where you can prove yourself to be a skilled, dedicated worker that can be of benefit to the company when the project of moving the inventory information is completed. At the very worst, you will get some great experience out of this if you can handle the job. I'm not trying to dissuade you from taking this, but don't expect this to be your meal ticket. It is a great stepping stone for anyone who has only minimal real world work experience in retail, political volunteer work or a grandmaster cart crasher.

Just loving keep trying, dude. You failed to accept the illustrious duel challenge in the Thunderdome out of, what a lack of self esteem? I can understand if you tried and failed, but you didn't even try with that, you just assumed failure and passed. For shame, man.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
Money talk durin a 'view is more than standard.

That said, your job sounds like a scam.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Haha. He is getting roped into a MLM scheme, and you dingbuttes are telling him, "Good work Benny!". This should be good for a few laughs at least.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
I am not an expert in web design, but they are moving from one internet retail site to another and everything has to be entered in manually? :psyduck: Is that normal???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Coffee Wolf posted:

Here, just in case you left this out too:

And in case you have to deal directly with your Chinese merchants at any point I made you a little something to help you showcase your cultural sensitivity and firm grasp of human interraction :)

Gotta agree with those saying it sounds fishy as gently caress, but maybe I'm just naturally skeptical and it's going to be legit awesome for you :shrug:

Edit: 宿醉 (suk zeoi) is a hangover in Mandarin and Cantonese if you ever need to know that for any reason.

franco fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 17, 2014

• Locked thread