Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Talking about 909's & Swag.

I'm looking to get an overdrive or distorion stombox for the 909 for a while now, but since 99% of the reviews are meant for guitarists I'm unsure which one to get.
We already have a Moogerfrooger MF-201, which is nice, but it doesn't produce this early 90's stomping house kind of drive I'm looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

What's the Poe's Law of rap?

Sjoewe posted:

distorion stombox for the 909 for a while now

MXR Distortion+ :getin:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

The KLF died for our sins

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Also, honest question, but I know we've talked here about what the "next 909" or similar decade defining synth is, is there any reason not to say Vengeance samples? They're a hallmark of sound design of dance music from the last few years almost to the point of mimicking the 909 in terms of presence.

Samples aren't instruments. They are static, and do nothing without a sampler(which places its own sound via envelopes, filters and how it's used). They are more akin to the idea of synth presets than the 909.

Are you just trying to form this argument to create a sea change in the perception of Vengeance samples so that you don't have to feel bad about using them?

renderful fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 16, 2014

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

renderful posted:

Samples aren't instruments. They are static, and do nothing without a sampler(which places its own sound via envelopes, filters and how it's used). They are more akin to the idea of synth presets than the 909.

This just seems pedantic. Sure, maybe "decade defining SYNTH" is the wrong term, but the result is basically the same. Let's say "defining sound" instead.

The Amen break was already mentioned as an example. No one puts an asterisk next to that because producers had to load it into a sampler first and poke at the volume envelope.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

renderful posted:

Because the M9 piano wasn't a defining sample at all, but yes I get what you're being pedantic about.

renderful posted:

Are you just trying to form this argument to create a sea change in the perception of Vengeance samples so that you don't have to feel bad about using them?

Possibly.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Of course it's pedantic. I think the idea of classifying sounds into categories like "decade defining" is pedantic in and of itself.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Yes but there's only so many layers of pedantry we can peel off of this particular onion before we turn into gearslutz.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Speaking of Vengeance, they just released a new plugin called Glitch Bitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS5db_Lx5D0

Glitch Bitch.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
'How cool is that!?'

:gonk:

Edit: Stutter is the new Flanger. Now I'm sure.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Radiapathy posted:

Speaking of Vengeance, they just released a new plugin called Glitch Bitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS5db_Lx5D0

Glitch Bitch.

Jesus christ

So they gave dbBlue's Glitch a shittier user interface and released it what, 9 years later?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

toadee posted:

So they gave dbBlue's Glitch a shittier user interface and released it what, 9 years later?
It's Scatter times a thousand.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Attempts at using vengeance samples #1: I have no idea how to make drums cut through a mix

Radiapathy posted:

It's Scatter times a thousand.

From all the demos I've heard that use Scatter if I get one of those boxes I may just take off "ER" from the label so it's more accurate.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I just hope GlitchBitch doesn't syphon away sales from my own company's upcoming RapNigga.

e: also my Arturia Beatstep arrives tomorrow so I'm currently giving Monark some preparatory foreplay.

Kilmers Elbow fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 16, 2014

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Attempts at using vengeance samples #1: I have no idea how to make drums cut through a mix

From all the demos I've heard that use Scatter if I get one of those boxes I may just take off "ER" from the label so it's more accurate.

The drums on this one sound a lot more muffled and muddy compared to any of the previous tracks you've posted/sent me.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Quick 'n dirty guide

- Put a 'Utility' on each channel and reduce the volume with -12dB. This gives you extra headroom to create dynamics, without having to tweak the volume sliders until you are ready to make a final mixdown.
- Don't compress your drums, or anything else for that matter, too much, use saturation and drive instead, only add compression at the very end of the mix.
- Assign each drum element to it's own channel
- Choose a short punchy sample for the kick.
- Pan your drums and synths
- Make everyting not panned mono
- EQ out the lowest frequencies (below 100 Hz) of your bass, boost the punchy area on your kick a little
- Put a moderate sidechain on your bassline, preferably with a fast attack and short decay, you only want to make room for the punch.
- Drive the gently caress out of your hats, toms and claps, but also cut out the low frequncies.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kilmers Elbow posted:

I just hope GlitchBitch doesn't syphon away sales from my own company's upcoming RapNigga.

e: also my Arturia Beatstep arrives tomorrow so I'm currently giving Monark some preparatory foreplay.

:allears: I cringed so hard at every time he said "Glitch Bitch" that I had to turn off the video.

Also, I'm very interested in hearing about the quality of the Beatstep when it arrives. I really want a controller with loads of knobs, and the less it costs the better.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

renderful posted:

The drums on this one sound a lot more muffled and muddy compared to any of the previous tracks you've posted/sent me.

Because this was my attempt at not sperging about drums for 20 hours.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

This both overlaps with and assumes Sjoewe's advice, but in that clip, the levels of the different parts is really unbalanced. The cymbals are drawing far too much attention and the kick is barely audible (had to switch headphones to be able to hear it over the bass at all).

In addition to just basic volumes, it seems like you've got a sub osc or some other low-end enhancement going on in the synth bass that's stepping all over the kick. The kick could be more clicky too, but you mainly need to give it room to thump.

If you're intentionally going for a really thin snare sound, perhaps some transient adjustment to make it crack more, and also EQ some room for it so it doesn't have to fight with the cymbals so much.

EDIT: What is your monitoring environment like?

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 16, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

EDIT: What is your monitoring environment like?

Terrible right now, I'm moving so there's boxes and stuff piled around the speakers. Solid advice, I know one of the things I consistently have a hard time with is managing super low frequencies because I straight up can't hear them on these KRKs and my neighbours probably wouldn't be happy with a sub. There's two 303's there, one is basically filter fully closed and highs scooped with a bit of res, the other is normal with lows scooped, so that no matter what I do I can make the 303 not sound thin and lovely, but yeah despite my attempts to carve out where the kick is it sounds thin and lovely.

I'll try and do what you suggested.

edit: This more like it? Clipping the master like gently caress but I tried cleaning it up a lot.

edit 2: The kicks gelling much more means I don't need the cymbals yayyyy

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 16, 2014

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

If you're this obsessed with the mixing and layering of parts etc maybe you should be a mixing engineer/production type dude rather than make music? Especially acid. God, if there's any kind of music that shouldn't be overproduced it's acid.

I mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM8tUBFruZQ&t=532s

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

toadee posted:

If you're this obsessed with the mixing and layering of parts etc maybe you should be a mixing engineer/production type dude rather than make music? Especially acid. God, if there's any kind of music that shouldn't be overproduced it's acid.

I mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM8tUBFruZQ&t=532s

Bloody racket.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I know acid is pretty much meant to be more freeflowing and not overproduced but those rare times it is overproduced it sounds so drat good, to me at least.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Speaking of acid, Future Music just put up a tour of Sharooz's studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXPEA7y6KW0

EDIT: RE: Drumtalk: Your dilemma makes an excellent argument for why hardware drums can give you an edge on software/sampled drums :smug:

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 16, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

EDIT: RE: Drumtalk: Your dilemma makes an excellent argument for why hardware drums can give you an edge on software/sampled drums :smug:

Don't loving tempt me. You know better than that man, I'm jonesing aaaaaaaa

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Jonesing for what? Did you flip the Tempest already?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I sold the Tempest and got an A4 months ago.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I sold the Tempest and got an A4 months ago.

Wrong move.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Not at all, the Tempest was sitting unused and I spend tons of time loving around with the A4, and I still had $400 left over.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Not at all, the Tempest was sitting unused and I spend tons of time loving around with the A4, and I still had $400 left over.

If you spent much time messing with your Tempest as you spend twiddling your A4 and agonizing whether its ethical to use vengeance samples (and posting about it), you'd have four albums worth of totally sick, better-than-vengeance-sample beats already done, and you wouldn't have this ethical issue weighing on your mind. :v:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
The Tempest was counterintuitive and honestly for actual dry sounds was kind of poo poo, there's a reason people are flipping them quickly (look at tehschulman, he had it like a week). It's a decent groove box, but you need to want a groovebox.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Good drum sounds are always flat when dry. That's why you add gated reverb and some compression to them. :getin:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I literally have never heard a good thing about the Tempest's drum sounds.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Don't drag me into this! I had mine for a month and a half and made a bunch of sample packs out of the sounds I created. The Tempest is extremely intuitive actually, it just contains limitless possibilities and tries to be everything when it should just stick to being a 4 voice synth engine and cost half as much. The digital waveforms were extremely well done and I ended up tweaking those more than I did the analog voices. The filter and low end sounds the analog voices could produce were awesome too. I just found myself playing with the Tempest more than I found myself making complete tracks/recording music, it was not conducive to workflow.

I'll be here to buy the A4 when you're ready though!

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I'll be here to buy the A4 when you're ready though!

Not at your offering prices, you won't be. :v:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

An Alesis Vortex can be had for only $99. Why have I not yet picked up an Alesis Vortex for just $99?

(I do pretty much just leads and simple chords in my shock rock band and I love to dance around while playing. A cheap, keytar midi controller is pretty much exactly what I'd love to use, and would be so much cheesy fun.)

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 17, 2014

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

there's boxes and stuff piled around the speakers.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I consistently have a hard time with is managing super low frequencies because I straight up can't hear them on these KRKs and my neighbours probably wouldn't be happy with a sub.

You don't need a sub that bad. KRK's aren't the best thing in the world but most musicians fair decently without the KRK sub. First make sure you're using reference mixes, then move all those "boxes and stuff" in front of your speakers when mixing. Also you may want to treat your studio or at least make sure your not getting some weird acoustical issues with your room and walls reflecting sound.

Interesting how you assume more hardware will fix the problem.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G77uuDVpsSo

This is so cool. Love the live vinyl sample/no sample thing he does.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

A MIRACLE posted:

Volca beats, keys or bass?

I'm pretty happy with the beats so far, the kick and hats are really nice. I sync it with an old DR-110 for the snare though.

Beats! Picked it up yesteday and I've been very happy. Some of the sounds are kind of poop, but hey! Can't wait to take a soldering iron to this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Speaking of acid, I'm seeing Acid Symphony Orchestra live tonight :getin: