Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

It has been a while since Mr. Breathed let his Trekkie side take over.

Most illogical.

Calvin And Hobbes

I have it on good authority that the title of Speed Bump does not refer to the cartoonist's use of cocaine for inspiration.

Mark Heath's Spot The Frog gets existential on us. Aren't we all puppets stuck in the mud?

And Kris Straub's Starslip has been going for almost a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Today's Oh, Brother.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Phoebe's livin' on the edge in Heavenly Nostrils

Another repeat week. Wonder what Dana's up to...

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- You look tired
- I don't really do well in the pressures of our workplace
- Ugh! Ugh!
- Pin him!

Paine, pressure, and paini, wrestling (match), both have the same plural inessive form paineissa.

Fok_It

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Uhm.

e: vvv I think he's a colleague, that works too though.
e2: kind of a missed opportunity for a Tony Halme appearance.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 16, 2014

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

tiistai posted:

Fingerpori

- You look tired
- I don't really do well in the pressures of our workplace
- Ugh! Ugh!
- Pin him!

Paine, pressure, and paini, wrestling (match), both have the same plural inessive form paineissa.

"Been wrestling with a tough (task, client, situation, problem, whichever's funniest) at work."

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Is Imgur being a pig for anyone else? What's a good alternate site?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Holy poo poo, an Inspector Danger answer that makes sense and can actually be figured out before reading the answer! Is this the first one of those we've seen?

The one a couple days ago with the liver-disease guy who drinks a cup of water was in the realm of solvability.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I... almost? get the premise but the execution is like Compu-Toon.

It's also kind of a mediocre joke, since "Godzilla" and "spider" are roll descriptors. Maybe if it was "I'll have the spider steak" it would be more amusing.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (January 26, 1927)

Peanuts (April 19, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

At least she has a tripod today, but now that we can see the viewfinder we can tell she really is standing way too close.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

How you can tell there's still a long lead time for newspaper strips: The punchline written today would be "Miley Cyrus's immune system".

Today's Pogo takeaway: In politics, there's old school and there's old school. (April 18, 1956)

Out Our Way (October 24-25, 1924)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I really can't decide who I hate more now, Brooke, Batuik, or Gilchrest. I mean, Brooke is as insufferable as always, but this whole "YOUR FATHER WAS AN rear end in a top hat" plot that Batuik is up to is annoying me on a whole new level, and I just want to start punching Gilchrest and never ever stop.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Huh, worked with Chrome; must be something in Firefox that's borked.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I really can't decide who I hate more now, Brooke, Batuik, or Gilchrest. I mean, Brooke is as insufferable as always, but this whole "YOUR FATHER WAS AN rear end in a top hat" plot that Batuik is up to is annoying me on a whole new level, and I just want to start punching Gilchrest and never ever stop.

I totally agree. It must be somehow horribly emotionally deflating to be writing your dead father's biography, interviewing all his past co-workers and acquaintances, and finding out what an utter, loving prick he was. The level of hate I'm reading from these people is almost palpable. I'm just waiting for one of them to jump up in front of the camera and scream "YA KNOW WHAT!? I'M GLAD THE FUCKER GOT SHOT! HE WAS THE BIGGEST rear end in a top hat! HE loving DESERVED IT!".

And the constant "nonplussed" look on her face is really annoying.

E: So worked up I forgot the "h".

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 16, 2014

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

At least she has a tripod today, but now that we can see the viewfinder we can tell she really is standing way too close.

New hipster documentary: "What different nose hairs think of My Father, John Darling."

Borden
Jul 23, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Beetle Bailey

I'm not the only one seeing this, right?

This somehow became a Junji Ito edit :psyduck:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Candorville :biotruths:

Why do you guys like this rear end in a top hat again?

He's the only guy who's occasionally funny in this lovely strip.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

catlord posted:

He's the only guy who's occasionally funny in this lovely strip.

I will believe it when I see some non-borsht belt comedy from this shmoe.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Drimble Wedge posted:

Scary Gary

Huh, worked with Chrome; must be something in Firefox that's borked.

Futurama did it first.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Per prior discussion, my wife and I are both brown haired, brown eyed, and our oldest son is blonde with blue eyes. So yeah, there's that.

WELL ARE YOU SURE HE'S YOURS??? :fuckoff:

I have a friend who has black hair. Her husband has black hair. Their two oldest sons have black hair. Their daughter, age four, is blonde. When they all go out together, people come up to them in the street and ask where the little girl came from or if she was adopted. When my friend tells them, "No, they're all ours," they have the nerve to accuse her of lying or imply the daughter is not really the husband's. All wonderful things to say to strangers right in front of their children. People are idiots.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Is Imgur being a pig for anyone else? What's a good alternate site?

minus.com and xomf.com both have fans in this thread.

Luann

283 pictures on what appears to be an oldschool camera that uses film. Great choice, Dad!

Just having him holding a phone instead would have improved this thing, since everybody knows how easy it is to take multitudes of terrible pictures with your phone. It would be more relatable! That second picture even looks like he applied a lovely filter. Come on, Greg! You were so close with this one! Picture three? Awesome new profile pic for Luann's facebook page.

Apartment 3-G

Even in a small town, it was just a conversation between the two of them. How would everybody know unless he was blabbing? Maybe that colt had a big mouth?

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

And the colorist makes it look like Hil's sporting a mustache. Good work!

The Amazing Spider-Man

1. Is it just me, or does the dialog in the third panel almost sound like it should be in a romance?

2. Poor Spidey broke his left leg. :(

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Darthemed posted:

And Kris Straub's Starslip has been going for almost a decade.

Ran for close to a decade is more actuate. It started in May 2005 and finished in June 2012.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

And the colorist makes it look like Hil's sporting a mustache. Good work!

This is Ted Forth's daughter we're talking about here. Putting on a fake mustache is perfectly in character for her.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Jane's World

Right. I sort of remember this, I think. God, I don't know anymore.

I have given up on even kind of understanding what's happening in Jane's World. How many layers of flashback deep are we at this point? Is the author making some kind of artistic statement about the non-linear nature of time?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Ok, you guys. SOMEBODY in here has to have the gif Borden made of the third panel. If you do, please post it. It was perfect. It appears I didn't think to save it way back in late 2010... sometimes I disgust myself. :sigh:

Digging around in the old threads I found these.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

idonotlikepeas posted:

I have given up on even kind of understanding what's happening in Jane's World. How many layers of flashback deep are we at this point? Is the author making some kind of artistic statement about the non-linear nature of time?

I always thought that the syndicate wants to run only flashbacks/reruns so the confusion is out of spite (and a completely out of order filing system).

Step your loving game up Paige.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

:stonk:

Office Hours

:smith:

Buz Sawyer

:smuggo:

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001
I always wondered what it would be like if Mark Trail didn't shout out everything he was thinking all the time. Now I know: it is confusing and scary. Apparently he's comfortable announcing facts about a man-eating bear to the world at large, but the idea that he has a wife is a shameful thing best left hidden?

Oh, wait...this is his wife: ...yeah, I'd keep that one a secret, too. Somehow she got even creepier-looking now that the jackelrods have gone extinct and the age of the jam esallen has arrived.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Borden posted:

This somehow became a Junji Ito edit :psyduck:

Which is a good thing.
Lately comic strips have been so bland that even violent gory edits can't improve them.

9 Junji Lane.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

John Darling didn't even act like that in his own comic strip when it was being posted here...in fact, the whole comic strip was pretty much about making fun of him and being incredibly boring.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Trilobite posted:

the jackelrods have gone extinct and the age of the jam esallen has arrived

Comic Strip Megathread XV: the age of the jam esallen has arrived

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

The Unholy Ghost posted:

John Darling didn't even act like that in his own comic strip when it was being posted here...in fact, the whole comic strip was pretty much about making fun of him and being incredibly boring.

The strip ended in 1991, so we missed a decade of character development. Or we were spared it. Take your pick.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Sometimes Old Phantom is a lot of fun. :)

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

I get a kick out of Rip Kirby from time to time, too. :)

Big Ben Bolt

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Julet Esqu posted:

Rip Kirby

I get a kick out of Rip Kirby from time to time, too. :)

I do too. I thought it was going to be annoying as heck with the mid-century politics, but I really like the art, and the pacing is really good. There've even been a few times when I caught myself speculating about what happens next..

It's nice to see characters with distinctive faces and personalities, too.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

EasyEW posted:

The strip ended in 1991, so we missed a decade of character development. Or we were spared it. Take your pick.

Wait there was a decade between the end of john darling and him getting shot in the face?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

:ohdear: While his purpose is certainly noble, he is going to try to kill Modesty and Willie. Not sure how gentle they'll handle him.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

For a moment there I was wondering why Abbott was unraveling the Judge's sleeve in that first panel.

9 Chickweed Lane

Yes, and it will keep happening until this strip is taken over by a competent writer.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

:stare: Is Dick referring to Brewster as a comic character, or as a contemporary person?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
So two people suffocated or starved to death and Tracy's just going to let that slide :stare:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So two people suffocated or starved to death and Tracy's just going to let that slide :stare:

Dick Tracy has directly lead to so many corpses that the natural workings of life's cessation are nothing but an opportunity for a bon mot.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm not sure there's an actual law against dooming people to death in space.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

They climbed in of their own free will and Diet launched the ship without knowing they were in there. I don't think a crime was committed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SynthOrange posted:

:stare: Is Dick referring to Brewster as a comic character, or as a contemporary person?
In the current Dick Tracy, it could go either way.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Not just let it slide, he's making jokes.

• Locked thread