Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Can't win with Engi C, but I can with Stealth C apparently. Flak II, Hull II, and Pike, plus Shield+ and Defense II. I got the Flak II from the second flagship which was literally the last jump I could make in sector seven.

Won with exactly one hull left. :toot:

e:

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Does the Zoltan Shield Bypass thingie bypass the Flagship's shields? Wanna mind control me some missile gunners.

Yeah it works on the flagship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The Glaive beam is not to be scoffed at. Won a Mantis C run using only a Flak II and a Glaive beam, plus a Pre-igniter.

I think you had a lot more going for you than just the Glaive beam there.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Node posted:

Well, the Glaive beam is a support weapon - you never use it on its own unless you're playing Stealth B. It works GREAT with Flak II, probably one of the deadliest combos in the game if you get a preigniter.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Using beam weapons is like one of those puzzles about dividing a piece of chocolate into x pieces, except instead of chocolate for everyone it is death for people who step to HMS Cuntsplit.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Node posted:

I agree, but it was the Glaive beam that outdamaged the enemy ship in itself. Flak I or II is great but it misses too often to be a reliable damage dealer in itself. The pre-igniter was just icing on the cake. Normally, the boarding party would've been very useful/effective, especially since I had a heal bomb I never used, but they were just rendered useless by the damage the beam was outputting.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

Blackray Jack posted:

There are also events that consist of nothing but intruders, this includes up to 5 intruders at once. You're bound to get it sooner or later so don't worry.

It's funny, 2nd game after I posted I got both the "kill 5 in one battle" and "kill crews of 20 ships". Now I'm in Sector 8 with only 2 weapons, but those weapons are Flak II and Anti-Bio Beam and I scored a Weapon Pre-igniter. Crazy combo with teleporters and a boarding drone- kill shields, hit a few guys, tp in and murder. The only hindrance is when they have a clone bay, I have to aim my flak at that and hope I disable it. I did have Reconstructive Teleporter but dropped it in favor of Engi Medbots. Hope that doesn't bite me in the end, but I also had Zoltan Shields and couldn't decide.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Pez posted:

It's funny, 2nd game after I posted I got both the "kill 5 in one battle" and "kill crews of 20 ships". Now I'm in Sector 8 with only 2 weapons, but those weapons are Flak II and Anti-Bio Beam and I scored a Weapon Pre-igniter. Crazy combo with teleporters and a boarding drone- kill shields, hit a few guys, tp in and murder. The only hindrance is when they have a clone bay, I have to aim my flak at that and hope I disable it. I did have Reconstructive Teleporter but dropped it in favor of Engi Medbots. Hope that doesn't bite me in the end, but I also had Zoltan Shields and couldn't decide.

That should be fine to kill the flagship, as long as you get your boarders to kill the shields.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Ultimate catch-all ship-shredding weapon and augment combo discussion.

Yeah, ONLY a pre-ignited Flak 2 and Glaive beam combo. No biggie.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Trying to unlock Slug C. Now I remember why I only have one victory with Slug B. :suicide:

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

omeg posted:

Trying to unlock Slug C. Now I remember why I only have one victory with Slug B. :suicide:

Still better than the Engi B.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

omeg posted:

Still better than Rock A.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
:qq: :qq: :qq: Engi A on Hard is giving me hemorrhoids from all my asscheek clenching :qq: :qq: :qq:. The Flagship is kicking its rear end.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I've unlocked most of the types of ships up to Mantis, but realized that although I have all three Engi types I have yet to beat the game with it. Engi A is having a HUGE problem with the introduction of Anti-Combat Drones, and to a lesser extent the much more prevalent missiles. The former obviously fucks them up without some lucky streams of Ionizing 1-pip shields then hitting the drone control, THEN turning on the drone and hoping for an immediate shield or drone room hit, and the latter is bad for them because they require both weapons and drones to be effective at the start, so missiles have twice the chance to begin a "run away now or die" cascade. I know it won't happen, but I hope there is an update that scales back the amount of Anti-Combat Drones for at least Engis until the last half of the game when you have some time to counter them, because right now I am having to run away way more as them then any other ship I have used so far.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Finally beat the game with Advanced edition. Two chain lasers with an ion bomb on one side, two boarder lanius on the other. Phase one was a little annoying because the flagship hacked my teleporter, making my boarders much less of a threat. Still, I've never had an easier fight. Didn't end up with a single augment besides the one I started with, which was weird.

I didn't have a counter to mind control until I could successfully board the ship and destroy it, so my mantis spent his days gleefully running around murder mind-controlled crewmates, over and over...

I still don't think I've beaten the game without a border heavy strategy though.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 17, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

my dad posted:

Well, the Glaive beam is a support weapon - you never use it on its own unless you're playing Stealth B. It works GREAT with Flak II, probably one of the deadliest combos in the game if you get a preigniter.
The combo is strong enough that the pre-igniter isn't really needed. Just dodge whatever they throw at you with your cloak then attack. Almost any random encounter gets crippled and the flagship will die in two hits.

BloodWulfe posted:

I can't get an Engi C run going no matter what I do.

I really want to like the ship. Hacking and beams? Great! Except I have to expend a ton of drone parts just to survive, and even then I'm taking a beating. By the time I reach sector three my drone parts and health are low. Even if I find a drone recovery arm I'm too poor to afford it, and I'm still hemorrhaging drone parts with hacking.

The ship has weak weapons too, so it takes 40 scrap to upgrade it to level two. I can't afford to buy a new weapon and an upgrade both, and even if I'm lucky and find a weapon it comes at the expense of level two shields or an engine boost. Level two hacking + default weapons is good enough for the first few sectors, but then we're back to using 2+ drones per battle.

Has anyone had any luck with Engi C on either normal or hard? :ohdear:
I won with Engi C on hard. Its drone usage is a bit steep, but I'd say it takes a lot less damage than most ships - you can either hack weapons to give you time to shoot out their missile before it fires or hack shields to let you carve up their ship rapidly. Those two options together allowed me to take fairly little damage, which helped pay for the drone parts.

With regards to weapons I'd suggest getting a good missile, at least for early on. They'll allow you to avoid using drone parts in a lot of fights and their usual weakness is nullified by the Defense Scrambler you start with.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I just beat consecutive games of Stealth B and Cap A on Normal. Both times the game gave me overwhelming firepower that let me out DPS the boss. On the Stealth I had 2 Flak 1s, 1 Flak 2 and a preigniter, and on the Cap I had 3 BL IIs with a Swarm Missile.

Since my usual strategy to win involves hacking, mind control, and boarding to whittle down the boss, I was elated to just force fire on his shields and various subsystems to win.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Finally beat the game for the first time on easy after 15 losses with the Torus. Anything I should know before moving up to normal and Advanced switched on?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
First Victory on hard, whoo!

Stealth B saves the day again.

I swear to god that is just the best ship by far. I play it less often than most of the other ships (except the Rock ship, which I just never play), yet I'm pretty sure I've clocked the most victories in it by far. I managed to get Ion II and a Small Bomb to go with the Glaive beam, in addition to a pair of combat drones, and the Hard Boss melted so quickly I barely had time to register that the ship has a new layout in Hard mode (this was the first time I reached the boss! The last four ships I tried this with didn't quite make it)

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

I was worried about weapons until sector 5 when it started throwing burst laser mk2's at me. Having the mantis captain Kazzzapalak or whatever his name is helped a lot with boarders. Only two more B types to do and they're easy ones, Federation B and Lanius B.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

For some reason I thought victory with an A layout unlocked the B layout, but I managed a normal victory with Stealth A and it didn't unlock anything. Particularly annoying because it spawned a sector 6 with a big gap in the middle and only two jump options, both of them environmental hazards.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The combo is strong enough that the pre-igniter isn't really needed. Just dodge whatever they throw at you with your cloak then attack. Almost any random encounter gets crippled and the flagship will die in two hits.

It needs something else to consistently work, otherwise the first hit to the weapons room is going to cripple you. And since they're sooo slooow to charge, the enemy might get not one but two shots at you. You need to guarantee being able to cripple the enemy before they cripple you. Cloak, Zoltan shields, hacking, they all work just as great as the preigniter, although you might also want a defense scrambler if you're relying on hacking.

This is, of course, in the realm of "what you'd want" rather than "what the game gives you".

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Just had a terrible sector layout work in my favour for once. The final sector had the jump points arranged in a crescent shape, with the flagship on one corner and the base on the other. This meant the flagship had to loop around the entire sector to get to the base, and allowed me to farm for a while before meeting it halfway. In theory it also gave me the opportunity to jump ahead and repair a couple of times if I needed to, but I didn't need it because the Fed C shredded all three phases with barely a scratch. Artillery Flak, Flak I and two hull beams tore through the ship in seconds.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Just had a ridiculous comeback in the Mantis B. One of my two mantis died in a random encounter, and then my oxygen got breached while I was killing 3 enemy crew with my only mantis. They had a defence drone, so no boarding drone. My mantis managed to get back on board, and fixed the breach before oxygen ran out on the whole ship, but couldn't get oxygen repaired. I also had damage to my sheilds, and drone bay, with no way of repairing them. My only choice was to heal up in my Medbay 2, jump out and hope for the best.
Next jump was a civilian being chased by rebels. The rebel ship had an anti-personnel drone, so the fight consisted of me running my mantis around, getting one or two hits on a guy before the drone came, then running back to a different room. The fight took a while and in the meantime took damage to my engines so no chance to jump out again. At the end of the fight got some scrap, and one of the civilians decided to join me, an engi! Engi got the oxygen back on, and I'm back in the game. Never give up!

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
Is the only way to destroy a hacking drone with an anti-combat drone? I didn't see one of those throughout my entire playthough, but when I reached the flagship it launched a hacking drone at my lvl 4 shields, taking them out for pretty much the entire battle as I couldn't get it off me. really irritating loss as I had no counter.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

whiteshark12 posted:

Is the only way to destroy a hacking drone with an anti-combat drone? I didn't see one of those throughout my entire playthough, but when I reached the flagship it launched a hacking drone at my lvl 4 shields, taking them out for pretty much the entire battle as I couldn't get it off me. really irritating loss as I had no counter.

No way to get rid of it. It's best to immediately jump away if a vital system gets hacked in the flagship fight.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I had two bio beams on my Slug A for a while, instant vaporization of everything that isnt a rock? sign me up!

The only way to destroy hacking drones are DEFENSE drones, theyre counted as projectiles. Or hack their hacking bay.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

whiteshark12 posted:

A defense or anti-combat drone can shoot it down before it attaches to your ship (the anti-combat drone will usually just stun it instead), but once it's attached all you can do is jump away, destroy their hacking system, or counter-hack it (which has a change to destroy the drone in addition to just disabling it).

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Had my first victory last night with the HMS Utter Pain - a Kestrel C - and her crew of backseat driv-- sorry, loyal goons. There's also some fan art which I'll edit in later.

MVP was the clone bay as I kept not retrieving my boarding team quickly enough. By the end, poor Glorp the mantis wasn't sure of his name or anything else really.

Then there was an ambitious but ultimately doomed Engi B run where I managed to win several fights that I was assured were certain death, messed up the slug unlock and eventually burned. There is fan art for that too.

Asphyxiation due to leaving doors open/forgetting to turn the O2 back on remains a common fate for the crew of my ships.

Currently trying to unlock Engi C, which requires surviving to Sector 8 in Engi B.

gently caress Engi B.

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 17, 2014

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

Pez posted:

Congrats buddy! I've unlocked all the A ships and now I'm going to try and unlock the other two layouts of the Rock cruiser before trying for that...ugh...crystal ship unlock.

By the way, I have a question for everyone who used to play before AE came out. Did the stasis pod event happen alot more often back then for any of you? Cause it sure as heck did for me, like almost every other game. Now that I'm on AE, I can count the number of times of it happening on one hand.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Angrymog posted:

MVP was the clone bay as I kept not retrieving my boarding team quickly enough. By the end, poor Glorp the mantis wasn't sure of his name or anything else really.

Wasn't Glorp the Lanius? (ex-ex-ex-ex-ex-Lanius)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Now I'm just imagining being on a ship where the Clone Bay hiccups and gives you the wrong body.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Wasn't Glorp the Lanius? (ex-ex-ex-ex-ex-Lanius)
After so many clonings, who can tell, really?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
drat, Rock A is a terrible ship. Also I found that Flak 1 in sector 8. :psyduck: I also lost no less than 4 rock crewmembers to events and dying from no o2.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Ok I ended up going from 1 mantis, no oxygen, broken shields, broken drone bay, broken doors, broken weapons in sector 2, to beating the boss on normal. I never got any mantis for the rest of the game, and lost my original mantis guy when an ai drone jumped away with him. My boarding party at one point was 2 humans and 2 engi's, cause that was all I had.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I liked Rock A, but can't stand Engi A, something about it just feels so flimsy and unreliable.

I'm trying to get the Lanius 20% oxygen achievement, but it's so hard because whenever I get hacked that room shuts its doors and gets pumped with oxygen and I always forget to turn it off.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What is the evasion chance of ships in sector 1? Because some rear end in a top hat rebel scout just evaded my missiles 3 times in a row and jumped away without me being able to do anything about it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
10% maybe 20% on Hard. It happens.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
In my experience, the automated rebel drones can be stupidly strong for the first sector. I mean plenty are manageable but then there are times I run into one with 3 weapons that just unleashes a barrage of death before I can even get a shot off.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Shibawanko posted:

I liked Rock A, but can't stand Engi A, something about it just feels so flimsy and unreliable.

Well it does say in the description they look flimsy, but I had my best run out of 3 so far with Engi A. I found this Drone Recall augment so you almost never lose your combat drones after a battle, all you have to do is Ion beam their shields constantly, make sure your shields are high and let your drones do the dirty work. One MK1 and another MK2 would make short work of any ship I encountered. Only problem I ever had was with boarding parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Sorry if I'm stupid or something but when I try to select the new ship it tells me that I need to enable the advanced edition content to access it. I'm on the steam version so I thought I didn't need to do anything to enable the AE? I don't see anything in the options menu and I already tried re-downloading the game.

e: I'm literally stupid nevermind

• Locked thread