Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I may be getting my stories confused, but I think the original plan was to have WCW on Mondays and WWF on Thursdays, completely splitting the brands and rosters. So they weren't going to do the "Invasion" storyline at all at first, which is why they did that soft run of "Nitro" as the main event.

I think you are getting things mixed up. They did try to get WCW its own show before the invasion, but the invasion was already in progress by the time they did that match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Diabolik900 posted:

I think you are getting things mixed up. They did try to get WCW its own show before the invasion, but the invasion was already in progress by the time they did that match.

Well see at the point of that match they still had the belief that even if they couldn't get WCW its own timeslot, they could still just give it one of the shows in a forerunner to the brand extension. That match killed that idea dead, and the entire angle shifted to become what it did.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Chris Benoit should have come on mic and said "Last I remembered when I left wcw that belt belonged to me" and main event be him and Booker. If they wanted wcw to have its own show they needed to give that brand back the good people they'd picked off like Jericho and Guerrero and Big Show and let them use the heat they'd earned in wwe already.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

greatn posted:

Chris Benoit should have come on mic and said "Last I remembered when I left wcw that belt belonged to me" and main event be him and Booker. If they wanted wcw to have its own show they needed to give that brand back the good people they'd picked off like Jericho and Guerrero and Big Show and let them use the heat they'd earned in wwe already.

I remember being curious going into KOTR 2001, where I was wondering if Benoit/Jericho would get involved with WCW somehow.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

greatn posted:

Yes he should, you know other than him being out having neck surgery at the time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Skinty McEdger posted:

Yes he should, you know other than him being out having neck surgery at the time.

Well maybe if he skipped his surgery and exacerbated a career threatening injury, his family would still be alive today.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

greatn posted:

Well maybe if he skipped his surgery and exacerbated a career threatening injury, his family would still be alive today.

No question, since Benoit wouldn't be able to get out of his wheelchair.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Justin Godscock posted:

I dunno man, Benoit had a really 'could-do' attitude.

I mean he'd still have his teeth.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Chris Jericho would've been a great guy to match up with Booker T. Or better yet they could've just brought all those guys into the main roster instead of soft launching Nitro during a Raw main event. I think it was pretty clear WCW was never getting another tv deal - wasn't the threat of losing access to Turner channels the reason why Bischoff's attempted buyout via Fusient failed?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Justin Godscock posted:

Benoit would start doing german suplexes with his teeth.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

1st AD posted:

I think it was pretty clear WCW was never getting another tv deal - wasn't the threat of losing access to Turner channels the reason why Bischoff's attempted buyout via Fusient failed?

I think the reasoning at the time was that, sure, WCW itself might not have been able to get back on TV, but WCW with VINCE McMAHON behind it would. What network would turn down the genius of Vince??

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

I think the reasoning at the time was that, sure, WCW itself might not have been able to get back on TV, but WCW with VINCE McMAHON behind it would. What network would turn down the genius of Vince??

The same network who would throw money at Dixie Carter months later.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

The same network who would throw money at Dixie Carter months later.

There were several years between TNA's inception and Dixie taking control.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

1st AD posted:

Ah I misremembered then, but poo poo that is a dire loving main event to be putting on with dudes who aren't even over. I think they must've had the idea of doing a soft WCW reboot on Raw, but without a Sting or Goldberg I have no idea how that possibly would've worked.

I remembered catching Raw years later and Booker T was in the nWo somehow and got buried by them. poo poo, everything that touched WCW was so hosed.

It was probably one year later, since that's when Booker joined, then was kicked out of the NWO. It didn't really have a pay-off, since the WWE NWO kind of quietly disbanded after Nash severed all of his leg muscles getting out of bed, but it was only "burying" in the sense that it turned him babyface, where he got a pretty considerable push.

Stallion Cabana posted:

I dunno man, Benoit had a really 'could-do' attitude.

I mean he'd still have his teeth.

Didn't he lose his teeth first? I remember a "Toothless Aggression" Benoit shirt.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

American Males was such a terrible theme.

The song starts out so quietly that you think The Giant or someone with no theme is coming out, you realize it is Scotty Riggs getting into the ring and finally you hear "AMERICAN MALES! AMERICAN MA" as the song cuts off. It's an awful tease.

American Males is unironically one of the greatest wrestling themes of all time.

Also, charging $45 for a collection of stock music is very meta-WCW.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

There were several years between TNA's inception and Dixie taking control.

Actually, Panda bought TNA in October of 2002 although it was several years before they ended up on Spike.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 8, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

1st AD posted:

Chris Jericho would've been a great guy to match up with Booker T. Or better yet they could've just brought all those guys into the main roster instead of soft launching Nitro during a Raw main event. I think it was pretty clear WCW was never getting another tv deal - wasn't the threat of losing access to Turner channels the reason why Bischoff's attempted buyout via Fusient failed?

You gotta understand, they totally intended to get a Nitro show running, hell Vince was ready to sacrifice RAW to be the Nitro show and move the WWF wrestlers to Smackdown. What brand warfare wound up being (though very muted and lame) was entirely what was planned for WCW. Their own TV show, cross battles with the WWF roster, They were willing to give up Raw for the story.

As with many things in life, there was no singular problem with the Invasion, everything that could have gone wrong did. Up to and including the WWF guys essentially saying "Nope, not putting over those fuckers, they tried to put us out of business and we were loyal"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Spike was initially open to giving Nitro a 1 hour slot Saturday nights at 11. Not exactly a great one.

In other Nitro news...

Tonight we have two special Nitros that are only an hour long! The NBA Playoffs are intruding on our sacred wrestling show, moving Nitro an hour earlier and forcing it to be an hour shorter! So if you go to bed early and have to miss Nitro normally these are the shows for you!

Tonight you'll get:

Lots of hot hot JJ Dillon action!
Nick Patrick!
Rey vs Syxx
Lizmark Jr. vs Glacier
Meng vs Regal
Harlem Heat vs Giant and Luger

AND SO MUCH MORE!

In episode two you'll get...

Juvi vs Dragon for the TV title
MONGO VS MALENKO
Konnan and Hugh Morrus vs ICE TRAIN AND ALEX WRIGHT THE TAG TEAM OF THE CENTURY!!!!!!!

plus probably Sting and some stuff.

So with only two hours of Nitro don't think we're going to cut off our programming early! We can't show three Nitros because episode two is the Slamboree go home show, so instead we will be showing...

MCKENZIE'S ISLAND starring HULK HOGAN and GRACE JONES. I had no idea this movie existed until last week.

8 PM for Nitro!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

7:30 for Cowboy Who? and probably 9:30 for another movie with Hulk Hogan on an island!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

MCKENZIE'S ISLAND starring HULK HOGAN and GRACE JONES. I had no idea this movie existed until last week.

7:30 for Cowboy Who? and probably 9:30 for another movie with Hulk Hogan on an island!

McCinsey*

It apparently involves a turtle with a treasure map.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

McCinsey's Island has an all-star cast.
Paul Wight - Little Snowflake (as Paul White)
Ed Leslie - Jet Skier 1 (as Leslie Edwards)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Words can not express the pure genius that was "McCinsey's Island", but I will try. Hulk Hogan delivered a truly explosive performance. Robert Vaughn is a wizard. Grace Jones Tiger Cubs parrot bird *slide whistle*seed raccoon ed lesliebrutus beefcake Giant.

Piccolo.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

MassRafTer posted:

Spike was initially open to giving Nitro a 1 hour slot Saturday nights at 11. Not exactly a great one.

I remember this! wwf.com even had a poll asking what WCW Saturday show should be called.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
They already planned a TV taping too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZtdvMokX4Y

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

What is it with Hulk Hogan and jet skis?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TONIGHT at 8 PM: WCW SLAMBOREE 1997!

So you say you like great matches?

Then tune in for ULTIMO DRAGON VS STEVE REGAL! This match was extremely well loved at the time, and I think it might be the second best WCW match of 1997.

So you say you want to watch really lovely matches?

MONGO VS REGGIE WHITE IS ALSO ON THIS SHOW! It's going to be great.

Elswhere on the card:

Jeff Jarrett vs Dean Malenko for the US title
Madusa vs Luna Vachon for the Bobby Heenan gets to be happy for a few minutes and talk about old timers he has fond memories of title.
Glacier vs Mortis
Rey Mysterio Jr vs Yuji Yasuraoka
Meng vs Chris Benoit in a Tongan Death Match
The Steiners vs Hugh Morrus and Konnan

AND YOUR MAIN EVENT:

Ric Flair, Roddy Piper and Kevin Greene vs Kevin Nash, Scott Hall and Syxx

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Tune in at 7:30 for Cowboy Who? 8 PM for SLAMBOREE and at 11 we might watch TNA.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight will feature Warrior in WCW clips in between the PPV segments, so enjoy!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
What exactly was the reasoning behind WCW signing Tank Abbot? Were they trying to have their own less roidy/fatter/worse performing Ken Shamrock?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

What exactly was the reasoning behind WCW signing Tank Abbot? Were they trying to have their own less roidy/fatter/worse performing Ken Shamrock?

Tank had a ton of charisma and was one of UFC's most popular stars in 1996 when they were doing killer business. They went after Frye at first (as early as January of 97) and tried again before he joined NJPW but that didn't work out, possibly because the Cat talked a bunch of poo poo to him and Frye told him he'd be destroyed in a real fight (this happened in Bischoff office.) I think they had an offer out to Shamrock in 97 too, not sure about that. So they wanted a shoot fighter, probably for good reason. Part of Goldberg's initial mystique is they tried to give him elements of a shoot fighter with the gloves and some leg locks. Tank seemed kind of ideal for wrestling, but for other reasons obviously wasn't.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

1st AD posted:

He proclaimed himself to be the original Huntington Beach Bad Boy.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

I think they had an offer out to Shamrock in 97 too, not sure about that.

They had made an approach to Shamrock, but there was a combination of them being in talks with someone he didn't like (could be Frye I guess) and Vince and Bret doing the hard sell to him that made him choose WWF. Reading between the lines in Shamrocks shoot interviews, I don't think he particularly liked the impression that WCW considered him to be just one of a number of guys they were looking for, whereas Vince convinced him he was the only one they wanted.

Also he didn't want to go to the power plant.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Skinty McEdger posted:

They had made an approach to Shamrock, but there was a combination of them being in talks with someone he didn't like (could be Frye I guess) and Vince and Bret doing the hard sell to him that made him choose WWF. Reading between the lines in Shamrocks shoot interviews, I don't think he particularly liked the impression that WCW considered him to be just one of a number of guys they were looking for, whereas Vince convinced him he was the only one they wanted.

Also he didn't want to go to the power plant.

It's so very WCW that they would want a veteran wrestler to go to the Power Plant. I mean I guess it might make sense to get some rust off, but it is more likely they didn't know.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

It's so very WCW that they would want a veteran wrestler to go to the Power Plant. I mean I guess it might make sense to get some rust off, but it is more likely they didn't know.
Which is weird because Shamrock had wrestled professionally since 1990 in ACW and UWF.
But it is WCW we are talking about and they didn't know their rear end from their elbow half the time.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Is it really so different from WWE sending (almost) everyone to developmental? Well, besides the Power Plant supposedly being terrible.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

Is it really so different from WWE sending (almost) everyone to developmental? Well, besides the Power Plant supposedly being terrible.
Back in the Attitude Era, they didn't send everyone to Developmental, did they?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Endorph posted:

If you had a lot of prior experience, they usually put you on the main show immediately because they had a war to win. The idea of telling Sean Waltman, post-WCW, that his ringwork needed fine tuning is laughable, but nowadays it might have happened. That said, I think it was smart for Danielson to do a stint there politically speaking because it showed the kind of humility WWE likes.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Endorph posted:

if anything WWF would send guys to ECW or similar smaller territories to tune their gimmick/workstyle.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

The only guy I can immediately think of with a decent amount of name recognition who spent a decent amount of time in developmental was Regal and that was more than likely due to his past personal issues.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

The only guy I can immediately think of with a decent amount of name recognition who spent a decent amount of time in developmental was Regal and that was more than likely due to his past personal issues.

The first part of Jericho's second book was pretty much all about his debut in WWE and the heat and issues with adjusting to their style that he had. WWE style isn't just a 'wrestling style" but it's an attitude and a promo style that the audiences have been conditioned to expect. Some wrestlers can do any style but it's a good idea to spend some time in developmental anyway to learn the packaging.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Before OVW got established as the WWE development place in like 1998, WWE had loose agreements with promotions in Memphis and Puerto Rico (cannot recall the names, just where they were) where they would toss people who had to shake off rust or gotten out of shape. If someone new was able to wrestle and looked good on TV they were tossed into the main roster and it was sink or swim. Jericho and Waltman got this treatment as they were fresh from WCW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Justin Godscock posted:

Before OVW got established as the WWE development place in like 1998, WWE had loose agreements with promotions in Memphis and Puerto Rico (cannot recall the names, just where they were) where they would toss people who had to shake off rust or gotten out of shape. If someone new was able to wrestle and looked good on TV they were tossed into the main roster and it was sink or swim. Jericho and Waltman got this treatment as they were fresh from WCW.

USWA and IWA.