Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Speaking of which... I have no idea if it's a decent price or not. $800 less than the lowest of the three on Ebay right now.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/tad/4351365570.html

Eh. I don't have direct experience with them, but one of the guys I traded pins with told me they have a habit of removing the coin doors from their tables so you don't put them on route. That seems kind of shady to me. You could probably talk them down on price, it's been listed on Craigslist for a few months now. And I wouldn't base prices on Ebay. For reference, I paid $600 for my Elektra, and the lowest on Ebay is $2000. That's the norm for ebay, it seems.

Regarding Orbitor 1 - there's a piece of plexiglass over the textured playfield, you play on the plexi, not the molded plastic. Granted, the plexi is also warped.

roffels fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Rollersnake posted:

Orbitor 1 (Stern, 1982)

:stare: Yes, that is a textured playfield. Reviews seem to be evenly split between "THIS IS AWESOME" and "it plays like poo poo," and all I know is I have never wanted to play a pinball machine more in my life. Even if it totally sucks, I don't think I'd be disappointed.

Classic Game Room did a pretty good review of Orbitor 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPvMCBQA1yw

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

Fathom (Bally, 1980)

Okay, this actually seems like it might be a pretty boring table, but look at that art! It's the prettiest table I've ever seen except for Centaur, maybe. Also, the working title for the table (rejected by Bally management) was "Deep Threat." Real classy, guys.
Fathom is a great game. Very nice shot layout for a game of that generation, and it's absolutely gorgeous. It's supposed to have blue flipper rubbers too, but they can be pretty hard to find.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I played Orbitor 1 at MGC and you can put me on the "like" side of it. Flipping at a ball and then having no idea of what will happen next reminds me of playing pinball when I was three and I didn't understand aiming or anything. You're just fighting against this very uncooperative piece of machinery and I think that's just great.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
I would totally get a Fathom if I could afford it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smHWrLKsH2Q

Unfortunately, the VP recreation that's out right now plays like poo poo.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bovineicide posted:

I would totally get a Fathom if I could afford it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smHWrLKsH2Q

Unfortunately, the VP recreation that's out right now plays like poo poo.

Inlanes and outlanes are reversed? :psyboom:

Edit: this video walkthrough is really good -- I just wish the camera were closer to the playfield.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

prefect posted:

Yep. It's not uncommon on EM/early SS games. Some of the more evil ones don't have a one way gate under the slingshot either.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Just played for 90 minutes or so. Really liking the table. Keeping a little sticky note regarding roulette results. Evidence points to random as far as I can tell, but small sample size and all that.

I'm surprised to hear you say that - here's me so far (iPad TPA) :

328 Red Win
592 Black Lose
1208 Black Win
490 Black Win
1377 Black Win
5 - 4W 1L
2250 Black Win
1500 Red Win
1250 Black Lose
2000 Black Lose
550 Red Win
10 - 7W 3L
440 Red Win
795 Red Lose
931 Black Win
916 Black Win
1250 Black Win
15 - 11W 4L
1000 Black Win
125 Black Win
180 Red Win
764 Red Win
25 Black Win
20 -16W 4L
165 Black Win
380 Black Win
250 Black Win
1500 Black Win
1000 Black Win
25 - 21W 4L
2000 Black Win
500 Red Win

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Same Great Paste posted:

I'm surprised to hear you say that - here's me so far (iPad TPA) :

Numbers

Go buy lottery tickets or something. Was going to collect 100 before tabulating, but as a counter example....

I've played roulette 30 times since keeping track - every time I could I think. I went 16 wins 14 losses for those 30 games. 2-1 when betting over a billion at least.

Would find it just hilarious if farsite managed to make the odds different based on platform.

Same Great Paste posted:

Either I'm super lucky or something else is up here. Farsight being :farsight: would not be the least likely explanation.

Making their cross-platform leaderboards that much more ridiculous as well. Does seem to me that the friends boards are being a bit better lately though. Going to continue to write down notes until I get to 100.

Bovineicide posted:

Speaking of Who Dunnit, how the hell do you get the super skill shot? I have no idea where the sweet spot is for the soft plunge. I guess I could try exploiting the three switches trick until I get it.

I come sorta close to getting it consistently, but have trouble releasing the right analog stick on my gamepad the same way each time - making it all a moot point.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 17, 2014

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Go buy lottery tickets or something. Was going to collect 100 before tabulating, but as a counter example....

I've played roulette 30 times since keeping track - every time I could I think. I went 16 wins 14 losses for those 30 games. 2-1 when betting over a billion at least.

Would find it just hilarious if farsite managed to make the odds different based on platform.

Either I'm super lucky or something else is up here. Farsight being :farsight: would not be the least likely explanation.

I'm still going all the way to 100 to make this remotely valid, but the way things have gone so far are in line with what I've been getting off my wheel the whole time. Really surprised that you're so close to 50%.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Doesn't their emulator load the same state of the ROM every time you start the game? I'd imagine that's why I keep getting Trixie as the killer like all the time :v:

Speaking of Who Dunnit, how the hell do you get the super skill shot? I have no idea where the sweet spot is for the soft plunge. I guess I could try exploiting the three switches trick until I get it.

prefect posted:

Edit: this video walkthrough is really good -- I just wish the camera were closer to the playfield.

Yeah, there's only so much they can do with the camera for these videos outside of just showing the playfield in portrait. I think their 3-camera setup is a pretty good compromise. By the way, this is a pretty extensive documented restoration of a water-damaged Fathom (:ironicat:) if anyone's interested. http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pmd-%E2%80%93-fathom-restoration-let-the-spending-begin

Bovineicide fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 17, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rollersnake posted:

I've been browsing IPDB for the first time and thought I'd post some tables I found interesting.

Orbitor 1 (Stern, 1982)

:stare: Yes, that is a textured playfield. Reviews seem to be evenly split between "THIS IS AWESOME" and "it plays like poo poo," and all I know is I have never wanted to play a pinball machine more in my life. Even if it totally sucks, I don't think I'd be disappointed.

Played one in Orlando. It's more like fighting a pinball table than playing one. I preferred the Guns N' Roses that was next to it.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

While it's a gimmick, it's a HUGE gimmick. Quite possibly the largest pinball table ever built.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HxZVj664jE

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
From last night's episode of "The Americans." (For those that don't know - a show following some Russian spies that takes place in the early 1980's - currently in mid 1982.)

FBI guy meets Russian guy at a bowling alley. Russian guy is busy.

(The audio being played was definitely not Firepower. My insistence in pointing this out definitely did not impress my girlfriend.

A bit later you can see two more unidentified tables to his right. Another few seconds later and you get this.

My nerd level was sadly not high enough to immediately know that "Laser Cue" wasn't actually released until February 1984. I will be informing the SO when she gets home.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm actually kind of impressed that someone went to the effort of rounding up some early 80s pinball tables.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Spotting pinball machines and arcade games in movies and TV is always fun. Starting up a database like this one might be cool.

I just started watching The Wire for the first time and there's a Whirlwind machine in episode 5. Also just watched The Straight Story recently and there's an out-of-focus machine in the background of a bar near the end, I forgot to get a screenshot.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

Spotting pinball machines and arcade games in movies and TV is always fun.

Not for Jodie Foster.

Edit - there's a site for movie sightings already.
http://www.pingeek.com/film/film.htm

and TV it seems
http://www.pingeek.com/tv/tv.htm

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 18, 2014

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I forgot they used to give out pinball machines on Price is Right a lot. I also watch Bar Rescue and you can spot a lot of machines in the bars. Saw a couple Sopranos in there.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
Mr Bungle used a bunch of voice clips from Cyclone in their song Carousel. http://www.whosampled.com/sample/209418/Mr.-Bungle-Carousel-Williams-Electronics-Cyclone-Sound-Effects/

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Not for Jodie Foster.

:drat:

quote:

Edit - there's a site for movie sightings already.
http://www.pingeek.com/film/film.htm

and TV it seems
http://www.pingeek.com/tv/tv.htm

Ahh, cool. I just did a cursory search and didn't see anything.

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

For me 'Black Rose' will always be that pinball machine from 'The Stand' tv-series.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Game Center CX had an episode where one of the arcades in their arcade touring segment had The Getaway. Pinball in Japan is kind of a rare thing so that was a nice surprise to me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

And how did the Kacho do at pinball? :haw:

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I just got farsited so bad on Twilight Zone, but somehow it worked for me. Made my way to lost in the zone, but after it timed out there were two balls in the plunger for some reason. Then it kicked out a third that I was supposed to launch. Tried the attendant call but after going through the countdown it acted like things were good.

Tried to launch a single ball. Accidentally launched two. Free multiball? Sure, except it counted as a drain when one of them was lost. And of course, it never left the plunger camera angle. This continued throughout the entire rest of the game. Very careful ball launching, and playing from my new favorite angle:

Unorthodox, but the angle worked well for me. Ended up getting back to lost in the zone a second time. (Frantically launching everything didn't help with the situation.) Managed a new high score at 2.4 billion and even picked on of my remaining wizard goals. (#2 - the super power ball jackpot whatever the heck.)

Edit - more or less the same thing just happened. Played some more trying for the last wizard goal I need. Got to Lost in the Zone and the game just shits the bed hard. Thanks, farsite. It's not a popular table or anything.

And checking their forums - people have been talking about this error for over a year. Awesome.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 18, 2014

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And how did the Kacho do at pinball? :haw:
He didn't play it, sadly. There was an episode where he played an EM machine with the owner of the arcade, with them each controlling one flipper. I think The Getaway was in that same episode.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I sent the kacho a postcard with a picture of this amazing pinball and arcade game museum in Aichi I frequent and suggested he stop by the next time they do a cross-country trip. They usually stick pretty close to home though, so I doubt they'll ever make it.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Never mind I was wrong and stupid. Ignore this.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 18, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I can not score for poo poo tonight on any of my machines.

I did at least encounter a new problem and got to troubleshoot and fix it so it wasn't a total waste of time. If a flipper starts doing its best machine gun impression then the low power winding on the solenoid has probably poo poo the bed. If you're lucky the break is at the lug and can be resoldered. I was not lucky but have about half a dozen of the correct flipper coils in stock so back in business and ready to put up some more terrible scores.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I spent multiple dollars of U.S. currency on Addams Family this morning, and I cursed the name of Pat Lawlor every time the ball went down an outlane or straight down the middle. :doom:

(I still had fun. :allears:)

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Zeether posted:

He didn't play it, sadly. There was an episode where he played an EM machine with the owner of the arcade, with them each controlling one flipper. I think The Getaway was in that same episode.

He also played Lethal Weapon 3 in another episode

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

Played one in Orlando. It's more like fighting a pinball table than playing one. I preferred the Guns N' Roses that was next to it.

I played Orbital at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Vegas. Cool to play once, from a technical standpoint it's a crappy table.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Just got my best score ever in AFM in PA, 14.7 billion. I lit every objective except for Super Jackpot. I used to struggle with the 5-way combo, but I can pull that off now.

But I don't think I've EVER hit that Super Jackpot.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Super Jackpot is the hardest for me as well, not because it's really hard but I always get nervous when it's lit and then fail to hit the shot and lose all the balls. :saddowns:

5x Combo just tends to come by itself after a while, it's rarely something I have to focus deliberately on.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

Just got my best score ever in AFM in PA, 14.7 billion. I lit every objective except for Super Jackpot. I used to struggle with the 5-way combo, but I can pull that off now.

But I don't think I've EVER hit that Super Jackpot.

Keep in mind that the flashing super jackpot lane will stay lit for a surprising amount of time after you lose the multiball. If you have a ball stalled on a flipper and the lane you want is about to light you may still have a shot at it even if you lose your other balls. It's definitely the hardest of the standard goals, but you'll get it.

The drat billion point hurry up wizard goal on the other hand..... Ugh.

Collateral Damage posted:

That one's not too tricky. I always try to go for it when playing AFM just because it feels so satisfying to get that billion + TA.

I'm the opposite. Once I got the goal, I've never tried again. A billion point hurry up is nice, but on a table where a billion points isn't that big a thing - too much effort.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 20, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That one's not too tricky. I always try to go for it when playing AFM just because it feels so satisfying to get that billion + TA. The hurryup countdown resets for each additional hurryup you start, so you have something like 10-15 seconds for each shot after the first, just make sure you only have one shot remaining on each first, and never shoot a loop or ramp for super skillshot (take the shield super skillshot if it's up, otherwise don't bother with super skillshot).

You don't even need to hit the saucer after the fourth shot, you automatically get the billion hurryup when TA starts.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
A quick one.
Why is lighting non existent in PA? Is this an issue across all versions / tables?
Has Farsight commented on the issue or they are farsighting?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nellistos posted:

A quick one.
Why is lighting non existent in PA? Is this an issue across all versions / tables?
Has Farsight commented on the issue or they are farsighting?

I assume because the mobile version takes precedence over all the other versions, and it probably can't handle lighting so no other version gets it either. But supposedly once the PS4 version is out and/or gets the new lighting system implemented we'll see an update for PC.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
Thank you.
Is good to hear that is planned.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Farsight's focusing on an XBONE port at the moment, so the PC DX11 update's been delayed for god knows how long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
Xbone port? God...
Just read about how they are 50% percent towards the implementation of the lighting system.
It would be better if their engine supported that from scratch and have it disabled until they decide to go all out on PS4.
I doubt the xbone will be able to handle the lighting at 60 fps considering how peggle performs so I guess no progress will be made on this part during development on the bone port.

Sometimes I think what if..zen team had the licenses.

Nellistos fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 20, 2014