Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Pandas are adorable, case closed. :3:

e: Good Friday was year 31 apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I bet panda's aint that tasty, they just sit around eating loving sticks all day, probably quite fatty not very lean. Where's the flavour going to come from??

Now a salmon fed, free range, brown bear, now we're loving talking!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
As anyone will tell you, the fat is where the flavour is :colbert:

I think Bear in general would be pretty loving terrible to eat. I would try a panda, but I wouldn't finish one.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Is farming a real job?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Well you do have to fill in those subsidy forms. They can be quite taxing. Ho, ho I made a funny.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Thanks for this, I'm gonna go shoot myself in the head now.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

loving hell, it's all kicking off in Cumbria.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Kegluneq posted:

loving hell, it's all kicking off in Cumbria.

This is why we don't arm them.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Ddraig posted:

As anyone will tell you, the fat is where the flavour is :colbert:

I think Bear in general would be pretty loving terrible to eat. I would try a panda, but I wouldn't finish one.

Bear tastes nice right before they hibernate when they've been eating berries and roots, and really grim when they've been eating meat and fish. Pandas are probably delicious.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Filboid Studge posted:

Bear tastes nice right before they hibernate when they've been eating berries and roots, and really grim when they've been eating meat and fish. Pandas are probably delicious.

I was thinking mainly of them being riddled with parasites and worms and what have you, what with them being wild. Obviously you can get rid of those by cooking the meat properly, but it would still make it rather unflavourful what with having to cook the poo poo out of it.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
The tories are continuing their crusade to be shining paragons of Christianity in these most trying times for Christians. Clicky.

quote:

David Cameron has declared himself an "evangelical" about his Christian faith as he criticised some non-believers for failing to grasp the role that religion can have in "helping people to have a moral code".

In his third effort this week to highlight his own strong faith, the prime minister said he wanted to see a bigger role for religion in Britain as a Christian country and urged fellow believers to be more confident in spreading their views.

It comes after several big clashes between the coalition and the church, including a letter this week from 40 Anglican bishops and 600 church leaders calling on all political parties to tackle the causes of food poverty. Previous tensions have been caused by Cameron's decision to introduce gay marriage, and deep cuts in welfare benefits.

Cameron's Easter message may be aimed at smoothing over relations as well as an attempt to woo Christians back from Ukip, after Nigel Farage said British politics needed a "more muscular defence of our Judaeo-Christian heritage".

Traditionally, UK political leaders have been more reticent than their American counterparts about religion, with Tony Blair's former spin chief Alastair Campbell once famously proclaiming that New Labour did not "do God". However, both Blair and Gordon Brown have always professed strong religious beliefs and Cameron has been clear that he is a churchgoer. In contrast, Nick Clegg is an atheist, while Ed Miliband on a trip to Jerusalem last week set out his desire to become the first Jewish prime minister, although he caused confusion by forgetting about Benjamin Disraeli.

"I have a particular faith. I describe myself as a Jewish atheist. I'm Jewish by birth origin and it's part of who I am. I don't believe in God, but I think faith is a really important thing for a lot of people," the Labour leader said.

The prime minister's religious messages began last week with an Easter reception at Downing Street, at which he said religion had brought him his greatest moments of peace and claimed "Jesus invented the big society 2,000 years ago".

He also released a videoed Easter message for the country, in which he talked about the "countless acts of kindness carried out by those who believe in and follow Christ".

In a separate article for the Church Times, he argued that some atheists and agnostics did not understand that faith could be a "guide or a helpful prod in the right direction" towards morality.

While acknowledging many non-believers have a moral code and some Christians do not, he added: "People who advocate some sort of secular neutrality fail to grasp the consequences of that neutrality, or the role that faith can play in helping people to have a moral code.

"I believe we should be more confident about our status as a Christian country, more ambitious about expanding the role of faith-based organisations, and, frankly, more evangelical about a faith that compels us to get out there and make a difference to people's lives."

Cameron said he was a classic member of the Church of England, "a bit vague on some of the more difficult parts of that faith", but insisted the church "really matters" to him.

He also defended the Church of England's "perceived woolliness when it comes to belief".

"I am not one for doctrinal purity, and I don't believe it is essential for evangelism about the church's role in our society or its importance. It is important – and, as I have said, I would like it to do more, not less, in terms of action to improve our society and the education of our children."

Previously, the prime minister has said his faith is "a bit like the reception for Magic FM in the Chilterns: it sort of comes and goes".

It comes as a new row with the church may be brewing over the issue of what to do about civil partnerships. In a consultation that closes on Friday, the government is considering three alternatives: abolishing civil partnerships altogether, allowing people who have already had the ceremony to keep the title, or extending them to all couples. The Anglican church is opposing the extension of civil partnerships for all and wants them to be kept for homosexual partners.

But on Wednesday Peter Tatchell, the LGBT rights campaigner, wrote to Helen Grant, the minister in charge of the issue, to urge her to extend civil partnerships to all.

"Both civil marriages and civil partnerships embody the same core values of love, commitment, loyalty and stability," he wrote. "Why does it matter if a straight couple choose a civil partnership? How does their choice undermine the marriages of the others and the authority of an institution that still enjoys majority support? Civil partnerships may be a different institution from marriage but they are, in most respects, marriage-like. So why maintain the ban on female-male civil partnerships?"

I'm hoping the church will do what all the bands Cameron claims to like do and forbid him from following their faith. How can he say this kind of crap when every other week there is a report about heads of churches writing to him telling him to cut this poo poo out?

I'm hoping this comes back to bite them. I don't have the research at hand, but aren't there polls showing that Britain is or is becoming an atheist country?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Fingerless Gloves posted:

The tories are continuing their crusade to be shining paragons of Christianity in these most trying times for Christians. Clicky.

I'm hoping the church will do what all the bands Cameron claims to like do and forbid him from following their faith. How can he say this kind of crap when every other week there is a report about heads of churches writing to him telling him to cut this poo poo out?

I'm hoping this comes back to bite them. I don't have the research at hand, but aren't there polls showing that Britain is or is becoming an atheist country?

For as much as middle England never shuts the gently caress up, any attempts to install an actual church state would almost certainly end poorly. The English inflict religious strife on others, we don't really care ourselves. I think we're still primary "religious" over atheist but Christians don't hold the numerical heft and certainly not protestants. It'd be an interesting topic to look at, given how many prominent outliers seem to rule out non-practice being a "development" thing (Italy and Spain being two European examples).

But yeah the catholics and the CofE both actually detest Cameron and the tories because they are an embodiment of the evils the church is supposed to stand against. CofE is fairly consistent with the constant messaging, but WASPs are somehow still a thing here and none of them would know Christ if he salvated them in the face.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Spangly A posted:

For as much as middle England never shuts the gently caress up, any attempts to install an actual church state would almost certainly end poorly. The English inflict religious strife on others, we don't really care ourselves. I think we're still primary "religious" over atheist but Christians don't hold the numerical heft and certainly not protestants. It'd be an interesting topic to look at, given how many prominent outliers seem to rule out non-practice being a "development" thing (Italy and Spain being two European examples).

But yeah the catholics and the CofE both actually detest Cameron and the tories because they are an embodiment of the evils the church is supposed to stand against. CofE is fairly consistent with the constant messaging, but WASPs are somehow still a thing here and none of them would know Christ if he salvated them in the face.

Well, in the case of Spain at least, religious attendance has collapsed, and only 14% of people below the age of 35 consider themselves religious, and the number of students in seminaries has dropped from over 9,000 in the late 70s to just over 1,000 in the 2000s. You also can't underestimate the impact of the Franco regime on attitudes towards religion (at least, as an organised, hierarchical and institutional system) in Spain.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Spangly A posted:

For as much as middle England never shuts the gently caress up, any attempts to install an actual church state would almost certainly end poorly. The English inflict religious strife on others, we don't really care ourselves.

Don't worry, his comments are just a bit of 24-hr news cycle spin to deflect yesterday's criticism from the Church about food banks. Cameron'll never mention it again, you'll see.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Pissflaps posted:

I had fish and chips from his fish and chip shop at Falmouth and they were slightly more expensive than i'd normally be prepared to pay they were definitely delicious.

I ate at his seafood restaurant for my dads 50th and it was miles better then I've ever ate then and since. Most the locals were very League of Gentlemen.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

We actually welcome newcomers but expect a certain investment
That's what the Home Office said. :smith:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

People just need to man up and get used to eating tilapia and other easily farmed fish than eating your plague ridden cod and haddock. Seriously, the amount of parasites that feed on (and in) cod and haddock are disgusting.

But yeah overfishing sucks but thanks to capitalism it is never going to go away until the oceans are basically a giant cesspool where companies can easily dump their chemical waste.

Just to point out turbot is fine to eat if sourced right, it's these that you should try and avoid if possible. Also last time I was at a fish mongers it was around £30 a kg for turbot, not been for a while though.

Turbot
One of the most expensive fish � once a symbol of luxury and ostentation - turbot belongs to a small family of left-eyed flatfish (both eyes on the left of the body. It is mainly supplied to and sold by the restaurant trade. Turbot may be baked, grilled or poached. Farmed turbot is available whole, usually as 1 to 5 kg fish.

There is very little management of turbot fisheries and a general absence of stock data, insufficient to evaluate stock trends. Available information suggests the North Sea stock biomass, where 90% of the catches in the Northeast Atlantic are taken, is now increasing from a low level, and where fishing mortality has decreased in recent years. Given the poor state of knowledge and lack of management, it is difficult to regard wild caught turbot as a sustainable choice. The EU aquaculture sector for this species (http://www.fao.org/fishery/culturedspecies/Psetta_maxima/en), with a tendency towards on-shore, lower impact tank culture (production now exceeds wild capture at over 8,000t per annum), provides an alternative and MCS recommends turbot farmed onshore as a more sustainable choice. Whilst a niche market for wild trap or line-caught fish is also an option. Avoid eating wild-caught turbot during its spawning season, April to August, and below the size at which it matures, 30 cms.

Halibut is a different matter however.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 17, 2014

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Anyone read the Guardian editorials today?

haakman
May 5, 2011
Don't read the comments BM - though please confirm: are you, forums poster Brown Moses, in fact a shill for the CIA?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The funny thing is the intelligence agencies are pretty much the only people who haven't approached me, and I reliably informed my work is discussed and shared at very high levels in intelligence agencies. A couple of weeks ago there was a piece where it was claimed Human Rights Watch had said US and French intelligence had told them my work on August 21st was better than theirs. On the balance of things, I think that's more frightening for the world than cool for me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

Anyone read the Guardian editorials today?

Courtesy link, please, or are they print-only?

Also, a while back, someone posted a pic of a target poster on a Jobcentre wall showing how many people they'd kicked off benefits and how many they'd actually found jobs for, with an enormous gap between the two. Anyone know where that is, please?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Brown Moses posted:

US and French intelligence had told them my work on August 21st was better than theirs.

That's a pretty nice ploy by the US intelligence services right there. "Some civvie has better intel than us! Mea culpa! Egg on our face! We're so powerless..."

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm hoping someone has seen if it was in print, but here it is. It's sort of fitting my first attempts at video verification was because I was trying to win an argument on the Guardian Middle East Live Blog, and now I might end up with a column on video verification in the Guardian.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

That's a pretty nice ploy by the US intelligence services right there. "Some civvie has better intel than us! Mea culpa! Egg on our face! We're so powerless..."

Ploy? The CIA has a pretty long and (in)glorious history of incompetence.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I was told a big US paper was doing a piece on my August 21st work before the UN report was released, mainly about how amazing it was how much information you could get about the attack from social media, and they asked someone in the US intelligence community what they thought. Supposedly, he told them my work was total nonsense, none of it was true, and the paper cancelled the story. A week later, the UN report was published, and everything in there matched with what I had been publishing on my blog.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Always remember: every accusation the right wing levels at government agencies to explain their inefficiency - lack of accountability, lack of competition, lack of transparency, bureaucratic self-importance - goes double or triple for the intelligence services they (or to be fair, only some of them) want us to trust.

If you designed an organisation from the ground up to be incompetent and deluded, you'd end up with something like a modern intelligence agency. Their track record is about what you'd expect in light of this.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Darth Walrus posted:

Ploy? The CIA has a pretty long and (in)glorious history of incompetence.

Does it? I would say the CIA has a history of achieving its goals. I'm reading Killing Hope right now and it's a laundry list of "here's a country the CIA wanted to gently caress up -- they hosed it up."

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Pesmerga posted:

Well, in the case of Spain at least, religious attendance has collapsed, and only 14% of people below the age of 35 consider themselves religious, and the number of students in seminaries has dropped from over 9,000 in the late 70s to just over 1,000 in the 2000s. You also can't underestimate the impact of the Franco regime on attitudes towards religion (at least, as an organised, hierarchical and institutional system) in Spain.

I saw a poll that had church attendance amongst young people at 10%, but I can't remember if that's just Scotland or the entire UK.

My impression is that this sort of thing won't work because there's less of a history of it in the UK, and there's also a bit of a tradition of left-wing people getting their values from the bible. My only church going friend (Church of Scotland rather than Anglican though, might be different South of the border) is quite involved in the church because of what the bible says about poverty, and actually campaigned for marriage equality. Again, this might be influenced a bit by being Scottish, but I don't see this sort of thing working in the UK context, not just because of the increasing amounts of atheism/agnosticism.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It's been a while since I read Killing Hope but while it's a good litany of events, I wouldn't take every conclusion it reaches as true, I recall some of the chains of argument relied on the easy but often wildly misleading assumption that states are unitary intentional actors. A lot of 'the US did both X and Y, which only makes logical sense if it wanted and planned Z', when it's possible not just that X and Y weren't part of an integrated plan but that one or both of them weren't planned at all.

It's also easier to gently caress up an unstable nascent democracy (at least when you have the diplomatic and financial capital of the US) than it is to gather good information and defend your own country.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Peel posted:

Always remember: every accusation the right wing levels at government agencies to explain their inefficiency - lack of accountability, lack of competition, lack of transparency, bureaucratic self-importance - goes double or triple for the intelligence services they (or to be fair, only some of them) want us to trust.

If you designed an organisation from the ground up to be incompetent and deluded, you'd end up with something like a modern intelligence agency. Their track record is about what you'd expect in light of this.

Clearly, then, we need to privatise our intelligence agencies. :torysay:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, a while back, someone posted a pic of a target poster on a Jobcentre wall showing how many people they'd kicked off benefits and how many they'd actually found jobs for, with an enormous gap between the two. Anyone know where that is, please?

I can;t speak for the Job Centre, but I used to work for the Work Programme, so this seems unlikely. We were paid for getting people into work AND signing off, not one or the other. No bonuses for sending out sanctions, instead we'd be fined if we got inspected and hadn't reported missed attendances.

Then again, maybe JCP does things differently.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

Clearly, then, we need to privatise our intelligence agencies. :torysay:

Outsource it to bloggers, it's the Big Society solution Cameron would love.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Brown Moses posted:

Outsource it to bloggers, it's the Big Society solution jesus would love.

Fixed.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A-ha, found it!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

IceAgeComing posted:

I saw a poll that had church attendance amongst young people at 10%, but I can't remember if that's just Scotland or the entire UK.

My impression is that this sort of thing won't work because there's less of a history of it in the UK, and there's also a bit of a tradition of left-wing people getting their values from the bible. My only church going friend (Church of Scotland rather than Anglican though, might be different South of the border) is quite involved in the church because of what the bible says about poverty, and actually campaigned for marriage equality. Again, this might be influenced a bit by being Scottish, but I don't see this sort of thing working in the UK context, not just because of the increasing amounts of atheism/agnosticism.

It's like someone said, it's just Cameron spinning all the bad press he's getting. People have a vague understanding of churches as being non-partisan and defenders of the poor and vulnerable, so all this talk of food banks and criticism from various churches looks like a neutral authority blaming the government for the consequences of its policies. The 'helping people get on'/'previous government' lines don't work as well against churches and archbishops.

All Cameron needs to do (all he's ever capable of doing it seems) is vaguely waffle a bit about Christianity and blur the lines between him and them, distort and muddy the media narrative a bit. Did you hear that Jesus himself started the big society project 2000 years ago??? It's just a bunch of noise and distraction and it will probably work fine, just as it always does

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ugh, people at work complaining that the reason people are turning to food banks is because they, and I quote "Smoke 20 a day, that's like 80 quid a week". :dawkins101:

Also lol no britain is secular as gently caress and Cameron touting his morality becuase he's religious while simultaneously pushing people onto the street is a loving disgrace.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Well, that job centre poster looks pretty bad, but there's two things to point out.

Firstly, Job Seeker's Allowance is not the same thing as All Benefits, and many people who would qualify for ESA instead stay on JSA, either out of pride, or because they're not aware of the option and think if they don't do JSA they don't get money. Until they actually tell someone they're too sick to work, nothing happens.

Secondly, when people do find work, they're not best pleased with JCP, so instead of actually signing off and letting the know, they just sever communications.

I'm not sure how many people that JCP serves, but nearly 400 jobs in a month isn't too shabby.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Drone_Fragger posted:

Ugh, people at work complaining that the reason people are turning to food banks is because they, and I quote "Smoke 20 a day, that's like 80 quid a week". :dawkins101:

So loving what. God forbid there should be a little shining pleasure in their feckless lives. Mention sanctions to them. Ciggies go out of necessity pretty loving quick when you have nixie to live on, maybe they should anction all smokers. Oh, and the people who are buying unhealthy food. They may be your colleagues, but they are dolts.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Trickjaw posted:

So loving what. God forbid there should be a little shining pleasure in their feckless lives. Mention sanctions to them. Ciggies go out of necessity pretty loving quick when you have nixie to live on, maybe they should anction all smokers. Oh, and the people who are buying unhealthy food. They may be your colleagues, but they are dolts.

As a reformed smoker who has saved £3255.60 since quitting last year I'm of the opinion that everyone should quit smoking.

Having said that, a lot of people at the lowest end of the economic spectrum won't be paying full price for their fags they'll be getting dodgy imports a lot cheaper from the ice cream van instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
I had an argument with Richard Herring this morning on Twitter about whether appearing directly under Justin Lee Collins on the billing at Fubar Radio where he presents was a good idea. He seems to think it's OK since JLC apologised (by press release at the same time he announced his new job at Fubar) and has served his time. I said I wouldn't want my name publically associated with him all over the shop, then he quoted the bible at me. Oookay.

Oh well, Herring still does great podcasts I suppose, I'll just listen to them.

• Locked thread