Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

https://soundcloud.com/fastland/parhelion-rainbow

Made something really playful and cheesy the past week! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

What other forums do you guys frequent for music production chat? I check out the EDMProduction subreddit occasionally, as well as GearSlutz, but that's mostly filled with people into hardware.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

hypersleep posted:

What other forums do you guys frequent for music production chat? I check out the EDMProduction subreddit occasionally, as well as GearSlutz, but that's mostly filled with people into hardware.

I mainly make techno so I read the forums at subsekt.com a lot. Also like idmforums.com for more general purpose stuff. I've never found Gearslutz that useful as I'm software based and those guys have a hard on for hardware. Need a realistic string sound? Obsessively check Ebay for a mid-90s rompler!

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

hypersleep posted:

Having a gearslutz account is like wearing a big badge that says "angry autist" on it. Not a good look.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Gearslutz's general psytrance thread is really really good but that's because psytrance producers on the whole tend to care a bit more about making some weird squelchy farts and less about fetishizing any synths other than Nords.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
i went music shopping and made some beats :420:
https://soundcloud.com/gooberss/junk
https://soundcloud.com/gooberss/aweliv
https://soundcloud.com/gooberss/o-o-o-ok

haakman
May 5, 2011
So it turns out that if you slow down Greyhound it sounds a lot like 'Time' from the Inception soundtrack.

http://m.soundcloud.com/ellywu2/swedish-house-mafia-greyhound

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
I'm trying something super new for me. Everything I have written lately has been super overdone and big and stupid, so I'm really trying to strip back some ideas and make the most minimal stuff possible. Is anybody else into this? Am I lying to myself?

https://soundcloud.com/selfishdudes/young-wards

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I made some really bro-ey electro

https://soundcloud.com/batteries/meatfeast-3

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 7, 2014

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
The 7.1 Update for Reason has been released and Propellerheads are giving away a pretty cool FX rack extension for free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImKkQoKzhvE

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Captain Organ posted:

I'm trying something super new for me. Everything I have written lately has been super overdone and big and stupid, so I'm really trying to strip back some ideas and make the most minimal stuff possible. Is anybody else into this? Am I lying to myself?

This popped up in my suggested tracks again and I just like it. Reminds me of the Bob Sinclar Africanism stuff I used to listen to ten years ago.

It definitely doesn't need more than what's currently there.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Flipperwaldt posted:

It definitely doesn't need more than what's currently there.

Awesome, thanks for listening. I'm pretty excited about chasing down this aesthetic. Any other recommendations? This Sinclair stuff vibes, although it is definitely a little busier than I think I'm shooting for.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

Captain Organ posted:

Sounds good!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Captain Organ posted:

Awesome, thanks for listening. I'm pretty excited about chasing down this aesthetic. Any other recommendations? This Sinclair stuff vibes, although it is definitely a little busier than I think I'm shooting for.
Sinclar, it's a different dude :tipshat:

And yeah, his stuff is faster, has those stupid house hihats on every. single. track. and is busier over all. It's more the mood and the choices of timbre that draw me into that comparison. But now that I've listened to his music again, I really strongly prefer the sparseness of your track.

Sadly I got rid of all my vinyls ages ago, so I wouldn't know what other stuff to recommend :(

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

So, I have been working more than usual on making music. I was wanting some opinions on what I am currently working on.

https://soundcloud.com/mad-moon-2/system-incomplete
This one I really like, I got the percussion sounding like that by mistake and decided to build things around it. Unfortunately, for about 4 months I have had no clue how to continue it past this point. I cant seem to find any sounds that go well with it. I want a slow, but intense build up throughout it, but I can't get past this point at the moment.

https://soundcloud.com/mad-moon-2/late-night-incomplete

This one is my newest one, in which I am using some of the newest sounds I have learned. I was wanting to go for a Deus Ex kind of feel to it. I am still experimenting with it, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to make it better. The percussion right now is just a placeholder until I can come up with something more fitting.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 13, 2014

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

I made a new juke track, tried to work faster than I usually do.
https://soundcloud.com/ratsreebok/rl-tk-mn

The first one is totally off beat, doesn't cohere at all. the 2nd one I guess does have kind of a video game soundtrack vibe but it's only 18 seconds long, not really sure what to suggest about it.

Sounds good for what it is but I probably wouldn't listen to it again, also needs some breaks and build ups and stuff. Gets a little fatiguing.

Captain Organ posted:

I like the build up and "Uh!" dropping into the drums, overall i like the sounds but not the melodies that much, like the bass-ish part at 2:00 for example. But take that for what it's worth cuz I'm not that into techno or minimal. Same with the track above, I like electro/bloghouse sounding tracks when they're songs i was getting drunk to in freshman year but otherwise I'm kind of over that sound.

Pixotic
Jan 14, 2008

He could be in this very room!
He could be
you!
He could be
me!
He could even b:commissar:
I've been slowly teaching myself fl studio and putzing around with music production in my spare time for a while now, mostly doing video game covers - a couple of days ago I decided to try something new; picking a theme for a handful of tracks and having a bit of backstory to add colour. I'm two tracks in now and so far I think it's working.

links and blurb from my soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/richard-goodwins/original-starlight
You live on New Earth, a massive starship twice the size of Africa hurtling through space for the last 400 years. You've never left the ship, never seen space. Until today. You strap yourself into the cockpit of the shuttle. You launch! In an instant, all you can see, for the first time in your life, is the stars.

https://soundcloud.com/richard-goodwins/original-search
Following on with the theme from 'Starlight', You are out in the black of space with only your onboard computer for company. Scanning. Searching.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Pixotic posted:

I've been slowly teaching myself fl studio and putzing around with music production in my spare time for a while now, mostly doing video game covers - a couple of days ago I decided to try something new; picking a theme for a handful of tracks and having a bit of backstory to add colour. I'm two tracks in now and so far I think it's working.

links and blurb from my soundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/richard-goodwins/original-starlight
You live on New Earth, a massive starship twice the size of Africa hurtling through space for the last 400 years. You've never left the ship, never seen space. Until today. You strap yourself into the cockpit of the shuttle. You launch! In an instant, all you can see, for the first time in your life, is the stars.

Perfect - I read your description and when I heard the song it was nearly exactly what I imagined. Great :)

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

a loud re mix https://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/jay-z-ti-mia-swagga-like-us-mathbonus-remix

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
The topic of the moment in the hardware synths thread made me want to ask a question: Are there any good guides for producing percussion out there? With how prolific Vengeance and stuff is, it feels like a lot of people treat modern trance/house/etc. percussion as some kind of dark art that nobody can replicate.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Record some drums, then layer and process it. Feel free to mix with stuff from drum synths/machines or softsynth stuff. Anything goes. It sounds asinine but that's really all there is to it. Samplepacks are common because they save you a poo poo ton of work.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Speaking of drums, there is a kind of drum sound that I have been trying to find for weeks now. Its one of those jungle drums that makes a very flat, beating sound. Here's a song that uses one right at the start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVJUZZw0lK8

I don't know what the drum is called or where to find a sample or soundfont of it. Can someone help?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
This type of drum is called a "tom".

edit: snark aside, the Deus Ex(ample) does use toms, but they're not the only way to get this sound. Smaller taiko drums sound like this, and there are ways to strike a djembe that will result in a kind of neutral drum sound, filtered snare drums can sound like this, and tablas too.

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 17, 2014

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm stuck, I have no idea whether to stick with Logic or give the gently caress up and go for Ableton/Reason/Maschine. Logics workflow is just really awkward to me and I'm not sure the best for writing in.

Whats everyone here producing with?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I would start downloading trials and see which one you prefer. Add FL Studio and Renoise to that list. Most of the popular DAWs have a quite distinct way of working and you'll probably find one that just clicks for you. For me it was Renoise. I've been meaning to try out the new Bitwig Studio myself.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Dicky B posted:

I would start downloading trials and see which one you prefer. Add FL Studio and Renoise to that list. Most of the popular DAWs have a quite distinct way of working and you'll probably find one that just clicks for you. For me it was Renoise. I've been meaning to try out the new Bitwig Studio myself.

Sup fellow tracker bro. I started with ModPlug (aka OpenMPT) back in 1999, then moved to Renoise in 2008.

I've tried other DAWs but trackers and I just click. Once the keyboard shortcuts become muscle memory, laying down beats and melodies is fast. Renoise is just amazingly brilliant. The sampler is immense, laying down automations is quick and intuitive, and resampling is quicker and easier than in any other DAW I've tried. The pattern matrix makes arranging a breeze too.

Version 3 just came out and it's loving great. The interface improvements alone are worth the upgrade.

I also use SunVox on my iPad and laptop. It's free for Windows/Mac/Linux/Maemo/Raspberry Pi/WindowsCE/PalmOS and only several bucks for iOS and Android. It's a tracker reminiscent of Jeskola Buzz, with a built-in collection of modular instrument and effect devices (sort of like Reason).

Despite the keyboard driven nature of trackers, SunVox works really well on my iPad (and even my iPod touch). It's loving great to have a full featured tracker on a mobile device.

Yeah, trackers look daunting at first, but they're so drat flexible and fun to use. Anyone curious about them should definitely download the Renoise demo or SunVox.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I love sunvox on my mac, but using it on the phone is excruciating. They did pretty good tailoring the UI to work on a small touch interface but it's still way too fidgety for me to have fun using it.. it always feels like the thing I want to see is never on the screen.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

I love sunvox on my mac, but using it on the phone is excruciating. They did pretty good tailoring the UI to work on a small touch interface but it's still way too fidgety for me to have fun using it.. it always feels like the thing I want to see is never on the screen.

It's definitely a test of patience on a screen smaller than 5 or 6 inches. I only use it on my iPod when I'm out somewhere without my iPad and have some time to kill. It's good for sketching out ideas that I can copy over to my iPad later.

One of SunVox's biggest strengths is how many platforms it can run on. It's crazy.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I never really looked at the default vsts that come with FL Studio before, but i started messing around with drumsynth live and its amazing

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've recently been thinking about DAWs, seeing that Bitwig is now out and constantly improving and also my annoyances with Ableton. I obviously know Live better than any other DAW so Bitwig (being quite similar) is an obvious choice, but I just remembered how I used to use FL Studio back when I started. Now, my question for the thread is; why does FL Studio get such a bad rap? From what I've gathered it's mostly looked down upon as more of a toy than a "real" DAW, which doesn't make sense to me looking at all the incredibly neat stuff they have these days. Is it just something old that stuck? Is it because of the cutesy interface? That many newbies use it? I know it has some really silly stuff (I'm looking at you "Soundgoodizer"), but as a DAW it has some really nice VST's and powerful tools.

Just wondering where that reputation came from and why it (seemingly) persists.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Your Computer posted:

I've recently been thinking about DAWs, seeing that Bitwig is now out and constantly improving and also my annoyances with Ableton. I obviously know Live better than any other DAW so Bitwig (being quite similar) is an obvious choice, but I just remembered how I used to use FL Studio back when I started. Now, my question for the thread is; why does FL Studio get such a bad rap? From what I've gathered it's mostly looked down upon as more of a toy than a "real" DAW, which doesn't make sense to me looking at all the incredibly neat stuff they have these days. Is it just something old that stuck? Is it because of the cutesy interface? That many newbies use it? I know it has some really silly stuff (I'm looking at you "Soundgoodizer"), but as a DAW it has some really nice VST's and powerful tools.

It was associated with really bad amateur producers pumping out lazy crap in the beginning because it was one of the first really easy to use DAWs. It also used to be called Fruity Loops.

I don't think it was a complete DAW is the beginning, either. Anyway, it developed that reputation more than 10 years ago probably and these things just have a way of sticking around, people in the know don't think ill of FL

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

It's also by far the best bang-for-your-buck DAW out there which is probably why it's still so popular with beginners.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Your Computer posted:

Even in the current version there's a plug-in that makes a little anime character dance to your music as it plays. I'm not saying it's a bad program in terms of literal capability, but compare the user interface to e.g. Ableton's all-business "gray and darker gray" color scheme, with its abstract representations of faders and knobs and whatnot instead of pictures of controls. It's understandable that people would raise an eyebrow, I think.

ejstheman fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 19, 2014

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

ejstheman posted:

Even in the current version there's a plug-in that makes a little anime character dance to your music as it plays.
This is my most requested feature for Renoise. The devs never reply to my e-mails :mad:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ejstheman posted:

Even in the current version there's a plug-in that makes a little anime character dance to your music as it plays. I'm not saying it's a bad program in terms of literal capability, but compare the user interface to e.g. Ableton's all-business "gray and darker gray" color scheme, with its abstract representations of faders and knobs and whatnot instead of pictures of controls. It's understandable that people would raise an eyebrow, I think.

I was looking through their (I'd say very impressive) plugin catalogue and was about to point that out here when I came across this on one of the plugin pages :negative:

:nws: linked for scantily clad anime lady :nws:

So yeah, they come across as quite... adolescent.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Speaking of adolescent, this guy Savant is like the gooniest dude ever and reskinned FL to have boobs everywhere. In an episode of FutureMusic where he does a whole track in like two hours, the user interface for FL is a bunch of blobs of bright colors. Rather than just temporarily switching back to the normal FL skins for the show and not mentioning it, he cranked the saturation and hue around to the point where the images were incomprehensible unless you were right by the screen, and repeatedly explains this to the audience. He forgot to edit one of the plugins he used, though. I was so conflicted about the video, because on the one hand I wanted to wince I was so embarrassed for him, but on the other hand, he does actually crank out a passable track incredibly fast and explain what he's doing as he goes.

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

ejstheman posted:

Speaking of adolescent, this guy Savant is like the gooniest dude ever and reskinned FL to have boobs everywhere. In an episode of FutureMusic where he does a whole track in like two hours, the user interface for FL is a bunch of blobs of bright colors. Rather than just temporarily switching back to the normal FL skins for the show and not mentioning it, he cranked the saturation and hue around to the point where the images were incomprehensible unless you were right by the screen, and repeatedly explains this to the audience. He forgot to edit one of the plugins he used, though. I was so conflicted about the video, because on the one hand I wanted to wince I was so embarrassed for him, but on the other hand, he does actually crank out a passable track incredibly fast and explain what he's doing as he goes.

Savant is internet, divinely manifested in human form: A 20-something-year-old man with Asperger Syndrome, who looks like Guy Fawkes, covers everything in porn, and makes dubstep.

Flanky fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 19, 2014

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

He's pretty cringeworthy as a person, but it's fun to watch someone who has a really good flow in their DAW. FL has an image problem but is ultimately a very powerful tool.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Anyone have any suggestions on using a super recognizable sample and having it not dominate the song?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Captain Organ posted:

This is a nice track, man. I love the vibe. It's something I've struggled to capture in certain of my tracks. My early stuff was all about trying to do big whizbang effects but a lot of my later stuff is learning the art of economy and minimalism. Good stuff.

In other news, I tried to do a dubstep track using only an orchestra VST just for yucks. It turned out... well, it turned out. We'll just leave it at that. https://soundcloud.com/gkchestertron/ye-olde-dubbesteppe

• Locked thread