Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Man, Fletcher Hanks' work was creepy enough when he was alive, I don't want to know what evil space zombie Fletcher Hanks might come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImmovableSquid
May 1, 2011
Floss Finder
I'm at an event now with Warren Ellis. He just finished speaking at the India Club. A tiny little club in the financial district of Manhattan. It was mostly supposed to be about his new book "Gun Machine". But, I admit, I picked up a copy of transmetropolitan on the way to the event to get it signed. I've always had a soft spot for it. Manhattan fans keep accosting him to sign books and comics every time he leaves the lone for a smoke break. He's a good sport though.

Posting from my phone.

Low quality image incoming
http://imgur.com/4JKhWlv

ImmovableSquid fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 10, 2014

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ImmovableSquid posted:

I'm at an event now with Warren Ellis. He just finished speaking at the India Club. A tiny little club in the financial district of Manhattan. It was mostly supposed to be about his new book "Gun Machine". But, I admit, I picked up a copy of transmetropolitan on the way to the event to get it signed. I've always had a soft spot for it. Manhattan fans keep accosting him to sign books and comics every time he leaves the lone for a smoke break. He's a good sport though.

Posting from my phone.

Ask him what happened to Mary at the end of Transmet. I've always figured she got shot for talking back to the man but I must know.

ImmovableSquid
May 1, 2011
Floss Finder
No thanks. I mean come on. What possible response could he have that would satisfy that question? How do you expect to ask someone if they finished a twenty year old story they way they wanted to, or if they had something else in mind? It is what it is to enjoy. Don't be weird

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ImmovableSquid posted:

Posting from my phone.

Low quality image incoming
http://imgur.com/4JKhWlv

I assume this means Gun Machine is in paperback now, buy it, read it. It's awesome.

ImmovableSquid
May 1, 2011
Floss Finder

Skwirl posted:

I assume this means Gun Machine is in paperback now, buy it, read it. It's awesome.

Sure does! I picked up a copy at the event and had him sign it. Since he spent most of the two hours talking about literary theory and how he constructs and conceives of his writing, I'm very curious to read about this very ambitious time related crime book. I never read anything other than transmetropolitan, so I'm very interested in reading what Ellis described as a Chandler era noir conceptualized by disregarding anything but the basics of the genre and ignoring everything from the genra since then. A crime drama and a social drama combined with a viewpoint of a schizoid time traveler.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So has anyone mentioned this weeks Invincible ? Here's a huge spoiler Mark kind of gets raped by another female Vultrimite because she wants his baby . What the loving hell Kirkman.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, I'm not even sure what to think at this point regarding Invincible #110.

It's not "kind of". It's clearly intended as nonconsenual.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Superheroes named Grayson just can't catch a break on that front.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Yeah, Kirkman sure as hell went there. To his credit, it was super loving uncomfortable to read, so he handled a touchy subject that could have been disasterously misrepresented just right.

On the other hand, it was super loving uncomfortable to read. We seem to have hit another patch of Kirkman deciding he hates his readers and is going to ruin things for a while to see if we'll all leave this time, I hate it when he gets like this.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

CapnAndy posted:

On the other hand, it was super loving uncomfortable to read. We seem to have hit another patch of Kirkman deciding he hates his readers and is going to ruin things for a while to see if we'll all leave this time, I hate it when he gets like this.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/robert-kirkman-revamps-invincible-revives-669657 posted:

Calling the 111th issue of Invincible "three number 1s in a row," Kirkman said that the series will change in the wake of its current storyline. "I think people will be surprised with the direction that we're going in," he told the audience of today's Image Expo in San Francisco, saying the shift in focus and scale will seem like a new writer has taken over the series -- one he called "The Walking Dead Robert Kirkman" because of what he joked would be "an increased amount of horror and misery" in the series.
I think Kirkman is becoming a marginally less exploitative Mark Millar.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, Kirkman sure as hell went there. To his credit, it was super loving uncomfortable to read, so he handled a touchy subject that could have been disasterously misrepresented just right.

No he loving didn't, he did some more gross bullshit just to poo poo on his characters some more. That's not handling anything right, rape or not.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Squidster posted:

I think Kirkman is becoming a marginally less exploitative Mark Millar.

The first time something happened in Invincible it was shocking and horrifying because it was such a contrast in tone to the series. Now this kind of poo poo is all the series is about and boring and irritating instead of compelling.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
It has been a plot thread that's been hanging out for years now, so it's not coming out of nowhere, but it is just numbing, particularly with the amount of crap being piled on Mark before this scene even happens, to say nothing of recent issues.

As to "how it's handled", well, we'll see, the aftermath is more interesting to me than the event. Or maybe no, for those that drop the book right after, and I wouldn't blame them. Has this kind of thing happened to another male superhero? The Scarlet Witch / Wonder Man scene from Byrne's Avengers run comes to mind, but not much else. Probably not with the same level of violence, in any case.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nightwing. It happened to Nightwing and it was probably even more terrible.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jack Knight Starman and Deadpool too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Deadpool's probably one of the best handled cases of rape I've ever seen in superhero comics.

Some men's rights types people are spreading the Invincible scene around and calling it "thought-provoking" and poo poo. I can't even muster the energy to get upset.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

Some men's rights types people are spreading the Invincible scene around and calling it "thought-provoking" and poo poo. I can't even muster the energy to get upset.
I mean, there's no question that there's an enormous problem with how our society handles men who are raped/sexually assaulted, and I think that more things challenging that worldview are good.

This, of course, says absolutely nothing about whether Invincible handles it well or accomplishes that goal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I mean, there's no question that there's an enormous problem with how our society handles men who are raped/sexually assaulted, and I think that more things challenging that worldview are good.

I think so too, but this type of thing is always couched in weird "men are the REAL victims and women have it way better in our society" bullshit, which is so enragingly dumb that I go past mad and right to exhausted. And while any rape is equally serious, acting like women rape men just as often as men rape women is just insulting.

theflyingorc posted:

This, of course, says absolutely nothing about whether Invincible handles it well or accomplishes that goal.

Yeah, obviously.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Deadpool's probably one of the best handled cases of rape I've ever seen in superhero comics.
When did that happen?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

When did that happen?
During the Joe Kelly run, by Typhoid Mary.
[see here, scroll down past the Max stuff]

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What methods do people use to separate the comics in their long boxes?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

redbackground posted:

During the Joe Kelly run, by Typhoid Mary.
[see here, scroll down past the Max stuff]

Man I really gotta pick up that omni.

Len posted:

I've actually just taken spare boards from unused bags, cut a little tab from the bottom and taped it to the top.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Len posted:

You can buy purpose-made dividers.

BCW and Ultra Pro both make them. Be warned though, if you stack boxes the tabs will crack.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I've been using these things for my bookshelves, helps keep singles organized for runs I still want to keep but don't feel like rebuying in trade form. I tend to never reread my floppies if I just throw them into long boxes so these have been great for reducing clutter.

Don't buy them from that link, though, I think I bought a couple used ones for a dollar a piece from my school's library.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Rhyno posted:

You can buy purpose-made dividers.

BCW and Ultra Pro both make them. Be warned though, if you stack boxes the tabs will crack.

I just cut pieces of cardboard into that shape.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sporklift posted:

I just cut pieces of cardboard into that shape.

They used to sell cardboard ones. People would always come back and buy the plastic ones because the cardboard bends too quickly.

Edit: More Ebay auctions! Mostly DC stuff! All starting at 99 cents because I love everyone! Hopefully I get another nutbag!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/rcwhitey/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 11, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Edit: More Ebay auctions! Mostly DC stuff! All starting at 99 cents because I love everyone! Hopefully I get another nutbag!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/rcwhitey/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Is that Martian Manhunter #1-8 the whole run? I'd guess so since poor J'onn tends not to do very well in solo series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McSpanky posted:

Is that Martian Manhunter #1-8 the whole run? I'd guess so since poor J'onn tends not to do very well in solo series.

Yeah, it was just a mini.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The album inspired by Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is out. It's, uh, not the badass metal album I was hoping for, but still pretty good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've seen the Venom symbiote no-sell fire a lot recently and it's starting to get on my nerves. That is all.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I've seen the Venom symbiote no-sell fire a lot recently and it's starting to get on my nerves. That is all.

One of those was fighting Colossus in Utopia, wasn't it? That really annoyed me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

One of those was fighting Colossus in Utopia, wasn't it? That really annoyed me.

Yeah. He also bounced back incredibly quickly from a flamethrower blast in Thunderbolts, and landed straight on a flaming car simply for dramatic effect when Spock was wearing the suit. It should at the least take him out for a couple panels.

I also thought it was retarded that Ghost Rider gave the symbiote the penance stare and apparently Venom's actions were so horrible that it overloaded Ghost Rider's mind. I'm pretty sure that's not how the penance stare works at all, and he's used it on people a lot worse than ol' fangly-fish.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

no-sell fire

What does this mean?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah. He also bounced back incredibly quickly from a flamethrower blast in Thunderbolts, and landed straight on a flaming car simply for dramatic effect when Spock was wearing the suit. It should at the least take him out for a couple panels.

I also thought it was retarded that Ghost Rider gave the symbiote the penance stare and apparently Venom's actions were so horrible that it overloaded Ghost Rider's mind. I'm pretty sure that's not how the penance stare works at all, and he's used it on people a lot worse than ol' fangly-fish.

It caused him to live through the Way run.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 17, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

zoux posted:

What does this mean?

'No-sell' is a wrestling term, meaning to shrug off an attack like it was nothing - instead of 'selling' your opponent's trademark attacks and making them look good, you 'no-sell' them and make them look like an rear end.

Anyways, Venom has been a lot less weak to fire lately than he's really supposed to be.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I see. Is Venom a good guy or a bad guy right now?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

zoux posted:

I see. Is Venom a good guy or a bad guy right now?

The symbiote is evil, the guy wearing the symbiote is trying to use it to be a hero.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The last Venom related thing I read was when the former Scorpion was him in Dark Avengers.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The last series before Rick Remender left was great. I'd fully recommend it.

• Locked thread