Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
So, I go looking for Goblinworks videos. I found this instead and instantly stopped caring. I don't know if it's popped up here before.

But it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHnGvdlmZEU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Lion Lionel.
We've reached true roleplaying.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Lion Lionel doesn't have poo poo on DRIFTER and his wife, Nyarlathotep.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
My wife is Nyarlathotep
I call her Nyaruko
I love Nyaruko.

Hoooooooly poo poo!

E: it's like there's a computer out there with an encyclopedic knowledge of Pathfinder that thinks it's Ettin.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Best way to start the work day possible.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
If it eats this grapefruit, is not sanity check needed?
It is sour and delicious!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

stoutfish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX1c-YULHEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mB3aG3ORJ4

These are pretty great because the people playing are all entertaining.

This was great, and I totally forgot there was an LP thing of D&D games, where's that thread again?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ironicus also mentions that they played Dungeon World as part of that, but I could never find it. So if someone has that link too, I'd be pretty happy.

(I'm going to edit in a link to the thread in a second when I find it.)

Edit : It's actually 13th Age. I think the 4thE D&D thread was earlier and has probably fallen to Archives (which I have but I am lazy).

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 15, 2014

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So I don't really watch anime, but I just finished watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and it was loving great.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

i am harf elf pirate who knew common sense :allears:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Here's the other video that goes with that adventure, but sadly, I think it's the last one they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXYpBcc0WdI

There a number more at their channel, but sadly most are lacking the charm of the CG voices.

This psuedo-anime trailer for "Griffin Island" is a hoot, tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaeRbup9fus

"Dogs make love, cause sexual excitement."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Here's the other video that goes with that adventure, but sadly, I think it's the last one they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXYpBcc0WdI

There a number more at their channel, but sadly most are lacking the charm of the CG voices.

This psuedo-anime trailer for "Griffin Island" is a hoot, tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaeRbup9fus

"Dogs make love, cause sexual excitement."

Oh wait, is this the Griffin Island team?

From memory, it's a group from Japan that basically just google translated everything and called it a day. They were to credit very enthusiastic and certainly enjoyed it.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Error 404 posted:

E: it's like there's a computer out there with an encyclopedic knowledge of Pathfinder that thinks it's Ettin.

Nyaruko is weird though :colbert:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

So I don't really watch anime, but I just finished watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and it was loving great.

Someone namedropped Gundam Build Fighters a while back in #bwf and since it was up on YouTube I decided to give it a watch and I'm glad I did. I also don't watch a lot of anime and I'm also not a huge Gundam person but it's a pretty rad show about people building model robots who, thanks to bullshit anime science magic particles, can make them fight each other in full-on virtual arcade space. It's a pretty basic shonen formula but it has lots of robots exploding each other and if you are a Gundam fan it's apparently crammed full of Easter eggs like nobody's business.

There was a Build Fighters FATE PbP somebody was going to start in the Game Room but a family emergency intervened so it got put on hold.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Ironicus also mentions that they played Dungeon World as part of that, but I could never find it. So if someone has that link too, I'd be pretty happy.

(I'm going to edit in a link to the thread in a second when I find it.)

Edit : It's actually 13th Age. I think the 4thE D&D thread was earlier and has probably fallen to Archives (which I have but I am lazy).

Their Dungeon World recording hosed up and parts were missing, though the unedited version may be floating around somewhere if you wanted to look.

And yeah, both 4E threads have fallen into the archives. All of the mp3s are hosted on Zorak's website, though. (And directly to the index for Heroic tier). The thread mirror for Paragon hasn't been updated in, like, two years, but all of the files are here or on iTunes.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Man, being a poo poo GM sure is frustrating. No one ever wants to run the games I want to play but me, and since my usual group is all of two people and we're always rolling new characters, I can't get any kind of story going, or even plan anything in advance. FAE and DW are too story-based for the people who want to hack and slash; 4e is too crunchy for me as a person Bad at Math; 13th Age, aggravatingly, is both. I did run a fairly successful game in 13th Age the other day for a different group though.

I can't decide if I'd be any good at running a PbP, and it seems dumb to do that when I have IRL people who want to play with me and I can't deliver. But I really want more elfgames in my real life and it just ain't happening.

Thank you for reading my sad little rant I hope you enjoyed it.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

Man, being a poo poo GM sure is frustrating. No one ever wants to run the games I want to play but me, and since my usual group is all of two people and we're always rolling new characters, I can't get any kind of story going, or even plan anything in advance. FAE and DW are too story-based for the people who want to hack and slash; 4e is too crunchy for me as a person Bad at Math; 13th Age, aggravatingly, is both. I did run a fairly successful game in 13th Age the other day for a different group though.

I can't decide if I'd be any good at running a PbP, and it seems dumb to do that when I have IRL people who want to play with me and I can't deliver. But I really want more elfgames in my real life and it just ain't happening.

This is a problem I experience. It has nothing to do with being a poo poo GM (not saying I'm not a poo poo GM just saying... this is different). If I want to run or play a game in my town, it pretty much has to be Pathfinder. Even if the idea didn't make me grumpy, burnout is all too common, amongst players as much as GMs.

I have never in my life, online or off, seen a game run long enough to earn the title "campaign." Someday I hope to experience that ideal of roleplaying in which the setting and characters carry a sense of history and purpose that only comes from actually having been played with the same group of people for an extended period of time.

In your case, I don't sense an inability to deliver so much as a simple lack of cohesion in the group. Rolling new characters and not really having the same taste in games and what-not. In that case, you should consider a PbP game. There's a stable of excellent players in these forums and their tastes vary widely. If you post a recruitment, you can get players who are specifically interested in the game you want to run.

Personally, I prefer livegaming, but PbP is not a bad option.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Evil Sagan posted:

I have never in my life, online or off, seen a game run long enough to earn the title "campaign." Someday I hope to experience that ideal of roleplaying in which the setting and characters carry a sense of history and purpose that only comes from actually having been played with the same group of people for an extended period of time.

My first sincere attempt at DMing (4e) ran 9 months and had a satisfactory narrative conclusion :unsmith:
We cycled through somewhere around 20 players and switched DMs for the last 2 or 3 months of it, but 4 of us went wire-to-wire, and that game will always hold a special place in my heart.

Gotta figure out an encore for that poo poo, though..

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

My experience is that most GMs are way harder on themselves than players are. I've had games I feel I totally botch that people compliment me to death on.

Right now I've been running a lot of short-run games just to give people a bunch of fun, different experiences we don't get when we're running games that last months or a year. And maybe that's that you need to do, just pull out the adventure from the back of a game and run that. Stuff like Pathfinder or 13th Age are really bad for this for the most part, because they assume some level of campaign play. But I ran three Golden Sky Stories adventures in three nights, and I'm currently running Double Cross, where I can run an adventure in two nights of play.

If you can't run long stuff, don't stress yourself doing it, find something bite-size and work with that. Having premade characters - usually a dirty word - can help a lot, too, if you can only maintain a night or two.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
My group has found a good rhythm of playing usually nWoD games about 3 sessions long that cut right to the action and/or have lower stakes that can be resolved sooner. Burnout is averted because everyone can open up 3 nights over 2 weeks, and there's a lot of satisfaction in being able to tell a finished story, even a short one.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Why are you always rolling new characters? You've got your two regulars, sure, but that doesn't mean they can't have their heroes and when people can fit in you provide them with a pre-made, or a more mechanically current version of whom they played last time.

Some sort of wandering band of do-gooders getting the guest-star/hero of the week to help out with the latest villains scheme.

I totally get the complaint about being the only person who wants to run the games you want to play, but that's true of drat near everything in my experience.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

dwarf74 posted:

The first fullmetal alchemist series was pretty mediocre, but every episode of brotherhood I have seen has been amazing. I presume this is because brotherhood was written after the comic was completed, so it doesn't have that dragging a dog on a leash pacing that most anime series seem to have.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah Brotherhood had the double advantage of being able to blow through the content covered in the first half of the original anime at breakneck speed and also knowing where the end point was on the manga so the pacing is able to be managed properly post that.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DalaranJ posted:

The first fullmetal alchemist series was pretty mediocre, but every episode of brotherhood I have seen has been amazing. I presume this is because brotherhood was written after the comic was completed, so it doesn't have that dragging a dog on a leash pacing that most anime series seem to have.

Yep, it's amazing how good a product can be when the dudes doing it know the full story and poo poo. No weird nazi movie needed!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Captain Walker posted:

I enthusiastically recommend Roll20/MapTool as a supplement to IRL gaming. You can even have your IRL people in the group. Pick a weeknight, be firm on what time you want to play, run what you want. I recommend shorter sessions if you do weeknights, and people are more likely to be able to make it if they can stay at home and play in their pajamas with a beverage in hand. You can try to stipulate that it's rotating GMing, but I have not had much luck with that; in terms of numbers, people who love GMing < people who will GM because it's the only way there will be any elfgaming << vampire players who take everything you are willing to give and then some. Even so, if you don't go into it thinking FIVE YEAR CAMPAIGN and just play as long as it lasts, you can stop when it feels right and rest.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yep, it's amazing how good a product can be when the dudes doing it know the full story and poo poo. No weird nazi movie needed!
Yeah but that is because all the weird Nazi stuff is spread throughout Brotherhood.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

homullus posted:

I enthusiastically recommend Roll20/MapTool as a supplement to IRL gaming. You can even have your IRL people in the group. Pick a weeknight, be firm on what time you want to play, run what you want. I recommend shorter sessions if you do weeknights, and people are more likely to be able to make it if they can stay at home and play in their pajamas with a beverage in hand. You can try to stipulate that it's rotating GMing, but I have not had much luck with that; in terms of numbers, people who love GMing < people who will GM because it's the only way there will be any elfgaming << vampire players who take everything you are willing to give and then some. Even so, if you don't go into it thinking FIVE YEAR CAMPAIGN and just play as long as it lasts, you can stop when it feels right and rest.

Roll20 plus Skype is the best. I've been running/playing in two games a week with players in three Wisconsin towns, Berkeley, DC, and Bangor Maine, for the past three years.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

MadScientistWorking posted:

Yeah but that is because all the weird Nazi stuff is spread throughout Brotherhood.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Please do not post XKCD on my thread.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
By having actual color I'm pretty sure that's SMBC and not XKCD.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Roll20 plus Skype is the best. I've been running/playing in two games a week with players in three Wisconsin towns, Berkeley, DC, and Bangor Maine, for the past three years.
Roll20 + Skype is what I do to run online games, too. Voice chat is incredibly important to getting the feel of a game right (and Roll20's voice sucks).

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Knitted Art posted:

It's my chat thread now.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Ettin posted:

It's my chat thread now.

Plut is still banned from this thread and will be dealt with, but if y'all could crank down the YCS in here about two or three notches it would be swell.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I can't Skype because of my deafness, so all the games I play in are IRC or plain Roll20, no voice chat. Roll20's virtual tabletop isn't strictly necessary for the Precure game, but it gives it a sense of location and space, plus just many monsters my character keeps throwing herself right into the midst of. And it helps visualize the goofy monsters, too.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
As virtual tabletops go, I'm a fan of Fantasy Grounds - its not free, and its not perfect, but it does a good job on character sheets and the like. Also for D&D and other things like that, the automatic effects and damage management make life so much easier.

I just wish people could see each others character sheets....

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TABLETOP SIMULATOR.

It's coming out in like, less than a week.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Rulebook Heavily posted:

TABLETOP SIMULATOR.

Tabletop simulator looks pretty much fantastic. It's really great the amount of effort that's gone into it and I sort of want to try running a DnD game in it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Knitted Art posted:

It's SMBC.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rulebook Heavily posted:

TABLETOP SIMULATOR.

Finally, a virtual tabletop I can flip when my character dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rulebook Heavily posted:

TABLETOP SIMULATOR.

It's sad when you invest a bunch of time into something and then see someone else do it infinitely better than you ever could have :sigh:

• Locked thread