Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

VigilantePrime posted:

It seems like at some point all of Blizzard's good writers jumped ship, but maybe that's just nostalgia speaking.

Nah, they've always had bad writing. It was just usually hidden better. They've always had their raging hardon for heroes-turned-villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nah, they've always had bad writing. It was just usually hidden better. They've always had their raging hardon for heroes-turned-villains.

If you've ever wanted to know the entire storyline behind Warcraft, I'll do a quick summary now:

Corruption.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Lowtax, were you really that clueless at Hearthstone or was it PDP-style acting? I was getting major Sips vibes watching the video after the fact. That game held your hand as tightly as it could and you still walked out into the street.

e: Meanwhile Schmorky was kicking the game's rear end, as it requested, proudly displaying it to him.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 17, 2014

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Squeegy posted:

Lowtax, were you really that clueless at Hearthstone or was it PDP-style acting? I was getting major Sips vibes watching the video after the fact. That game held your hand as tightly as it could and you still walked out into the street.

e: Meanwhile Schmorky was kicking the game's rear end, as it requested, proudly displaying it to him.

Have you seen his Elderly Games videos? the dude's like 3 million loving years old. give him some slack.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wine and pills may have been involved. We all know Old Man Lowtax can't go a day without his "cholesterol medication".

:airquote:

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

tlarn posted:

You should read the flavor-text for the cards, then. They actively suck the funny away from you.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards (the text in italics, to the side and under all the stats, is meant to be the flavortext)

UGHHH... There's a Leeroy Jenkins card, and it was illustrated by one of those penny arcade nozzles. I couldn't possibly hate this game any more than I do now.

SelenicMartian posted:

Yes, Blizzard really went downhill after The Lost Vikings.

Amen!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

tlarn posted:

You should read the flavor-text for the cards, then. They actively suck the funny away from you.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/cards (the text in italics, to the side and under all the stats, is meant to be the flavortext)

Man, some of them are ALMOST decent, but they do the same crap that terrible webcomics do where they just blandly explain the joke alongside it, as if that's still or ever been a funny thing.

Like Cairne: "Cairne was killed by Garrosh, so... don't put this guy in a Warrior deck. It's pretty insensitive." If they just cut off the first part it would at least be a little witty if you knew the reference.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Yardbomb posted:

If they just cut off the first part it would at least be a little witty if you knew the reference.

But do that too much and you run the risk of alienating people who don't.

Huh. Just thought of something: a little button saying 'don't get the reference?' that when clicked toggles an explanatory version.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 17, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Fortunately, the worst voice acting is in the tutorial and not in the main game (just watch Lowtax's video to hear just how awful it is). Unfortunately, that doesn't make the voice acting in the main game any better, and some of it is just atrocious. And the flavor text is really stupid the majority of the time, but it weirdly enough doesn't actually show on cards unless you go looking for it, so that's something. I don't know if "You can ignore the really stupid poo poo we put in!" is really a point in your favor, though.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

tlarn posted:

Blizzard has officially given up on any decent writing.

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012

SteelWav posted:

Blizzard has officially given up on any decent writing.

I actually thought that one was cute :shobon:

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

UGHHH... There's a Leeroy Jenkins card, and it was illustrated by one of those penny arcade nozzles. I couldn't possibly hate this game any more than I do now.

Amen!

Do people still do this? Get mad at a game because some obscure internet guy was involved, i mean.

On topic, after the Elm Street video I'm eagerly awaiting the next internet celeb appearance.
What about PDP? Don't tell me you wouldn't watch that trainwreck

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Coonskin_Cap posted:

What about PDP? Don't tell me you wouldn't watch that trainwreck

Only if Lowtax basically spit in his face for like a solid hour.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Suspicious Cook posted:

If you've ever wanted to know the entire storyline behind Warcraft, I'll do a quick summary now:

Corruption.

For those of you looking to jump into Starcraft II, let me give you a similar quality recap of Starcraft I:

Humans fight the space bugs but then space bugs corrupt a human lady and she lead space bugs to many victories.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

DrProsek posted:

For those of you looking to jump into Starcraft II, let me give you a similar quality recap of Starcraft I:

Humans fight the space bugs but then space bugs corrupt a human lady and she lead space bugs to many victories.

One human was corrupt as hell and got a super powerful army. the bugs actually weren't evil all along they were being mind controlled by corrupt aliens and the good aliens eventually helped them or something.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dizz posted:

One human was corrupt as hell and got a super powerful army. the bugs actually weren't evil all along they were being mind controlled by corrupt aliens and the good aliens eventually helped them or something.

The bugs were actually a hive mind that was being led by giant bug brains that were programmed to be bad, I mean corrupt, but they didn't want to be, so they corrupted that one lady so she could use her free will to make the bugs less corrupt. But she didn't until the second game when the good aliens uncorrupted her.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.

Squeegy posted:

The bugs were actually a hive mind that was being led by giant bug brains that were programmed to be bad, I mean corrupt, but they didn't want to be, so they corrupted that one lady so she could use her free will to make the bugs less corrupt. But she didn't until the second game when the good aliens uncorrupted her.

And then it was revealed that the true enemy all along was MAN!?

Its always man, Were terrible.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
All you need to know about starcraft 1 is that it was the best strategy game ever.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think something can be said for the writing being better, in the sense that there was some sort of realization of their limitations as writers. Problem is that they've gone from stories which are basically "Hey, check out what's wrong with the old cathedral!" to trying to write a replacement for the real world, where suddenly they have to fill out all the stuff that didn't matter or at least mattered so little the player could just come up with their own explanation.

Shmorky
Nov 6, 2002

IT'S TIM

Coonskin_Cap posted:

...some obscure internet guy...

lol at Mike Krahulik being an "obscure internet guy"

in his million dollar mansion

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Shmorky posted:

lol at Mike Krahulik being an "obscure internet guy"

in his million dollar mansion

I would also like to overwork my staff and pay them in dog turds and passive aggressive insults so I can build my web comic empire on the cheap.

Ah, a man can dream.

Shmorky
Nov 6, 2002

IT'S TIM

spankmeister posted:

I would also like to overwork my staff and pay them in dog turds and passive aggressive insults so I can build my web comic empire on the cheap.

Ah, a man can dream.

woah hey they get to work their dream job! If anything they should be paying him!!!!!!

ModsBanForJokes
Apr 16, 2014

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Ironically enough the Leeroy Jenkins card has better voice acting than 99% of the game

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Unlocking all the classes and defeating all the expert mans is pretty fun if you are on the fence about Hearthstone. Game couldn't really hold my attention after that but trying a couple of entry decks and stuff is pretty nice.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

VigilantePrime posted:

It seems like at some point all of Blizzard's good writers jumped ship, but maybe that's just nostalgia speaking.

If you were a self-respecting writer, would you have your name associated with a company that released a whole line of Pandastan: Furry Adventures in The Mysical Orient themed products?

I didn't think so.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also did you know Hearthstone was made in Unity :catstare:

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

steinrokkan posted:

Are you sure? I can see what's going on, and I don't recognize any of the models in this game from other games.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I just discovered there is an enormous 640 page thread about this Blizzard card game. :stare:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Honj Steak posted:

I just discovered there is an enormous 640 page thread about this Blizzard card game. :stare:

Hey, a card game means a lot of talk about strategy.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Jesus christ stop talking about this lovely game

KamenZero
Oct 19, 2013
I started playing Hearthstone after seeing Lowtax and TotalBiscuit playing it and it keeps me entertained enough. The similarities to Magic The Gathering might have something to do with it, but I'll probably keep playing for a while longer.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

A lot of games are made in Unity. It's a pretty versatile game creation tool.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

So is Kerbal Space Program. Just because it's made in Unity doesn't mean it's automatically bad.
Though I'd love to see Lowtax fly a rocket. :jeb:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

no they will not posted:

A lot of games are made in Unity. It's a pretty versatile game creation tool.

Geemer posted:

So is Kerbal Space Program. Just because it's made in Unity doesn't mean it's automatically bad.
Though I'd love to see Lowtax fly a rocket. :jeb:

I know, but Blizzard was the last company I expected to see using it, them being one of the most prominent studios (definitely more influential than whoever made Kerbal SP) and all.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

steinrokkan posted:

I know, but Blizzard was the last company I expected to see using it, them being one of the most prominent studios (definitely more influential than whoever made Kerbal SP) and all.

Squad is the developers who made KSP. It's their first game and previously they had been a company focused on managing advertising and promotional events in Mexico. So yeah, not quite the game development background of Blizzard.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Lowtax, could you please recompile The Gaming Graveyard into an updated chunk of videos? I like to watch the vids on random, because they are boring, and they help me sleep. Also please make a separate playlist or account for Flash Tub videos. Thank and bless.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

apathypuff posted:

Lowtax, could you please recompile The Gaming Graveyard into an updated chunk of videos? I like to watch the vids on random, because they are boring, and they help me sleep. Also please make a separate playlist or account for Flash Tub videos. Thank and bless.

Lowtax: Sleep Therapist.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

apathypuff posted:

My mom uses audio books to help her sleep so I see where you're coming from. I'm not sure this will work though. They guys occasionally break into screaming and swearing which isn't very soothing. And, well, if you go to sleep listening to Smorky who knows what sort of dreams you'll have. Some things man was not meant to know.

KamikaziPie
Oct 21, 2008
I'll admit I actually used the pulse phobia video once to fall asleep. It wasn't even on purpose, I was listening to it while I was relaxing and I just kind of passed out halfway through it.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

How the hell can you guys fall asleep with the horror of slenderman fresh in your mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboJ9000
Nov 4, 2012

tankadillo posted:

How the hell can you guys fall asleep with the horror of slenderman fresh in your mind?

How can you stay awake?!

• Locked thread