Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

hackbunny posted:

Not enough explosions

In KSP?? Then you're playing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hackbunny posted:

Not enough explosions

Its one big fireworks simulator, what are you talking about?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Its one big fireworks simulator, what are you talking about?

Well, if you play it without the realistic re-entry mod, then it kinda is a bit lacking in explosions that should happen, I guess.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Caconym posted:

In KSP?? Then you're playing it wrong.

I mean in the tutorial!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

SybilVimes posted:

Well, if you play it without the realistic re-entry mod, then it kinda is a bit lacking in explosions that should happen, I guess.

Not really.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Is there a KSP thread so I can go get some emergent goony laughs?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EightBit posted:

Is there a KSP thread so I can go get some emergent goony laughs?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3621666

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Thwomp posted:

Not really.

This would be a kickass avatar.

Then again, almost every KSP .gif would be the same way. So many choices.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I should mess around with KSP again; the last time I played with it, it wasn't even available on Steam.

Then again I should also finish up my VTOL aircraft posts, so v:v:v

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Found some photos from when I did the Rockford, IL air show back in 2009. We didn't actually fly during the show. These are from our departure, pattern work, and climb out back to Tinker. A professional photographer was on hand to shoot the air show guys leaving.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
What are those pods on the sides of the fuselage towards the front?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Tumors on military aircraft are almost always electronic countermeasure/jamming pod thingies.

<--- this goon's professional opinion.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Barnsy posted:

What are those pods on the sides of the fuselage towards the front?

Two cheeks and a pod on the very back of the tail are for electronic signals detection. Godholio can elaborate.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Part of me thinks this the absolute wrong thread, but another part thinks this is the absolute best thread to ask, what is life like living near an air force base or a small airport? Wife and I are looking into buying a house, and we are seeing a lot of houses that are approximately 1 mile or less west of the airport are lower priced, and houses that are about 1 mile north and 2 miles east of the air force base are also a better value. I am in Wichita so the offending noise sources are ICT and McConnell AFB, just looking at google maps it appears their runways each run pretty close to straight north and south. I am assuming that that noise would be the worst in a line near the ends of the runway since that would be where the plains are close to the ground at full throttle for takeoff. I'm pretty much not concerned with the local airport because just look at that busy flight schedule, they could fit all the arrivals and departures on one screen. :haw:

So, if anyone has any experience living near an airport (if ICT is even fit to be called an airport. . .) or an AFB, please let me know about the noise or what areas I should avoid, like I probably don't want a house at the end of the runway. Feel free to yell at me if you know a better thread to post my question.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I used to live about 2 miles from SDF and I could hear 747s taxiing before even getting to the runway on cold nights and it was pretty annoying. I currently live about a mile from a small but busy municipal strip and I'm in the approach path and hear planes all day but it's not offensive at all and actually pretty awesome seeing ww2 biplanes flying past every weekend.

I don't think I'd want to live within a mile of anything moving widebody aircraft or fighters. Go find a park nearby and sit for a few hours on a busy afternoon and gauge the noise for yourself. Maybe add something into the budget for soundproofing and new windows? You can quiet a house up pretty well for a few thousand bucks.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Crotch Fruit posted:

Part of me thinks this the absolute wrong thread, but another part thinks this is the absolute best thread to ask, what is life like living near an air force base or a small airport? Wife and I are looking into buying a house, and we are seeing a lot of houses that are approximately 1 mile or less west of the airport are lower priced, and houses that are about 1 mile north and 2 miles east of the air force base are also a better value. I am in Wichita so the offending noise sources are ICT and McConnell AFB, just looking at google maps it appears their runways each run pretty close to straight north and south. I am assuming that that noise would be the worst in a line near the ends of the runway since that would be where the plains are close to the ground at full throttle for takeoff. I'm pretty much not concerned with the local airport because just look at that busy flight schedule, they could fit all the arrivals and departures on one screen. :haw:

So, if anyone has any experience living near an airport (if ICT is even fit to be called an airport. . .) or an AFB, please let me know about the noise or what areas I should avoid, like I probably don't want a house at the end of the runway. Feel free to yell at me if you know a better thread to post my question.

Noisy, and if it's a non-commercial airport, potentially noisy 24/7.

I grew up in a valley that the RAF used for training, and that was noisy enough, I later lived at the end of a runway belonging to a private aircraft manufacturer, and there were aircraft (miliary and commercial) at any time, the most notable was when they started decommissioning the tridents and they were landing at 4am with their 3 RR Speys nice and loud.

Any military base is going to be the same kind of deal - night won't be much sanctuary.

(I live 2 miles or so south of a commercial airport now, and even with that there are occasional diverted 757s at 2am, and regular dash-8s landing at 1:30am)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I live about a mile away from Akron Fulton (6,000+' runway but 99% of the traffic is private aviation) and depending on wind direction aircraft on final approach to Akron-Canton regional (I'm about 15 miles north of the airport, they have 30-40 scheduled flights per day) pass pretty much directly over my house. Aside from notable aircraft landing at Akron-Fulton (CAF had a mini airshow there last summer and there was an Osprey doing touch & goes there for a few hours two weeks ago) I don't really notice the private aviation, and most of the traffic headed for CAK is low enough to make noise if you're outside but otherwise not really noticeable while inside.

e: I also have Goodyear's Ohio airship operations hangar about six miles due east so I also get blimp flyovers when there's a game in Cleveland or they just feel like tooling around Akron. Those are way more noticeable than traffic from either airport.

I think unless you live a mile or so away from a really busy commercial airport or military airfield you aren't going to notice it unless you want to.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 17, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Crotch Fruit posted:

Some quick googling indicates that the prevailing winds are from the south eleven months out of the year, which means that you would want to avoid the north side of the field to avoid the worst of the noise. (Most noise complaints tend to come from the arrival end of the runway, rather than the departure end as you would expect.) You can see this effect in this image of KFLL, an airport with an extremely bad noise complaint problem, and which is on an east operation the majority of the year:

The noise is louder on the departure end, but over a much smaller area. Note that FLLs south runway was closed to turbojet aircraft when this map was made, wheras ICTs runways are all open for turbojets, which means a footprint similar to the FLL north runway footprint, for both main runways at ICT.

McConnell's only based aircraft seems to be a wing of KC-135Rs, which aren't HORRIBLY loud. On the flip side, ICT is the home of the Cessna Citation assembly lines, which means lots of business jet activity. They're probably quieter than KC-135s, but theres a LOT MORE of them. All Citations with the exception of Mustangs and Citation M2s are built there, and all Citation official service work is done there. LOTS of bizjets.

I know not everyone likes airplane noise (I'm so broken) but please, please, please, please, I'm pleading with you... If you end up buying a house in an area near an airport, take that into account, and don't be one of those people submitting noise complaints about airplane noise at three in the afternoon on a Tuesday. You sound like you're going into this with your eyes open, so please remember ten years from now that that godamned noisy airport means a lot of well-paid jobs for a lot of people (particularly at ICT, because of Cessna,) and that you CHOSE to move there. Thanks. :)

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
KFLL = Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport

You people know that not all of us memorize airport codes, right?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Crotch Fruit posted:

I used to live right by JFK. We we're right off the extended centerline of a runway and as you would imagine it was pretty much constant traffic. We've moved since and we both find ourselves missing the noise. We're now looking at buying a house back in the area that we're from and we're looking specifically to be close to a major airport. But I realize that we're firmly in the minority here.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Is it so hard to google them if you don't know? 90% of the airport codes in here are pretty well known if you've traveled any.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Or just quit making assumptions and type the poo poo out.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Or just quit making assumptions and type the poo poo out.

If you're into aviation in any degree you'll pick up the acronyms pretty quickly, and it's a pain to type poo poo out when most of the people you're communicating with know the acronyms too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EightBit posted:

If you're into aviation in any degree you'll pick up the acronyms pretty quickly, and it's a pain to type poo poo out when most of the people you're communicating with know the acronyms too.

There's other people who read this thread that don't post. For the sake of accessibility, why not just type out an airport name?

Fake edit: I know I'm having an easy day when my biggest issue is an Internet debate over ICAO codes.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Fake edit: I know I'm having an easy day when my biggest issue is an Internet debate over ICAO codes.

If only it were ICAO codes, most of the american posters insist on using the codespace-hindered IATA codes.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

SybilVimes posted:

If only it were ICAO codes, most of the american posters insist on using the codespace-hindered IATA codes.

IATA is a term I never have heard. Is it a civilian airport thing?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SybilVimes posted:

Any military base is going to be the same kind of deal - night won't be much sanctuary.

It's worth noting that military aircraft are considerably louder. When I was at UofA, it wasn't uncommon to have to stop mid-lecture because an F16 or A10 from Davis-Montham was taking off at full throttle or making a particularly low final approach.

With that said, being out of the flight path will reduce the noise quite a bit. I work about a mile from the runways at PHX but because I'm not in the takeoff/landing areas east and west of the runways, you never hear planes while inside the building and rarely even hear them standing outside.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's an arbitrary airport used for an example, who gives a poo poo?

Crotch Fruit posted:

My parents live within a couple miles of PAFB (KCOF), and during the summer when I was in high school, there'd be a C-130 doing touch-and-go operations pretty much constantly. It was loud and a bit obnoxious, but things tended to quiet down at night.

A few years back I lived about five miles from KMIA (historic Wilcox Field, near Hialeah and the Fontainebleau neighborhood), in a high-rise building right under the approach to a couple of the runways used for widebodies. With the heavy and thick hurricane glass and reinforced concrete construction, it wasn't too bad unless you were outside or windows were open, and I could get great views of planes from my couch too.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cocoa Crispies posted:

My parents live within a couple miles of PAFB (KCOF), and during the summer when I was in high school, there'd be a C-130 doing touch-and-go operations pretty much constantly. It was loud and a bit obnoxious, but things tended to quiet down at night.

To be fair, there's also rockets going up near there on a semi-regular basis, so aircraft are a bit quieter by comparison. :v: I remember being at my granddad's (also near there) about 10-12 years ago when the Shuttle went up at night, it was something else.

(nice username by the way)

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Trip report time! I drove all the loving way across town (20 miles each way, literally from one edge of the city to the other :lol: ) and drove by some homes. The entire time I was in my car I never heard any planes. I rolled down my window, turned off my radio/AC, and still heard nothing but my own motor until I parked, then I finally heard a hint of noise. I spotted a local garage sale in the area so I stopped and stared at baby clothes for about 20 minutes, no intention of buying anything but I didn't want to creep people out sitting in a parked car for no apparent reason. . . Hi I'm the stalker who wants to be your new neighbor! I didn't hear any planes fly by overhead while at the garage sale. . . Finally, I went into the park/forest that separates the neighborhood from the airport and if I listened really carefully I could hear planes taking off or landing, and they took off quite a bit. However, the birds chirping and branches underneath my feet were louder than the planes. I could definitely tell there was airport activity, but I'm fairly sure I could easily sleep through it, or ignore it.

Thanks for the advice in the thread, but I guess sometimes it's best to just burn some gas and find out for yourself what it is like. I didn't get a chance to ask anyone who lives there about the noise or other neighborhood problems (I was hoping the other buyers would leave the garage sale so I could ask without looking like a complete rear end in a top hat, instead they proceeded to start a long argument over price. . .). I used the "voice recorder" app on my phone to try to record some of the noise, also used the camera feature to see if that could get a better recording, with all my recordings it is very hard to tell that I was trying to record airplane noise.

I think the best thing that came out of all of this is one of the for sale houses had an engraved yard stone, and the owners and I have the same rare(ish) last name. Maybe I could take advantage of that if I put make an offer on the house. :10bux:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's an arbitrary airport used for an example, who gives a poo poo?

A few years back I lived about five miles from KMIA (historic Wilcox Field, near Hialeah and the Fontainebleau neighborhood)

:golfclap:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

IATA is a term I never have heard. Is it a civilian airport thing?

IATA is the International Air Transport Association. Deals mostly with civilian airports and airlines, yes.

edit: it also issues the fairly familiar two-letter codes for airlines, for example UA for United, DL for Delta, and the oft-repeated-recently MH for Malaysia Airlines.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 17, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I live a couple miles north of McConnell (Harry and Rock) and I hardly hear anything

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's worth noting that military aircraft are considerably louder. When I was at UofA, it wasn't uncommon to have to stop mid-lecture because an F16 or A10 from Davis-Montham was taking off at full throttle or making a particularly low final approach.

With that said, being out of the flight path will reduce the noise quite a bit. I work about a mile from the runways at PHX but because I'm not in the takeoff/landing areas east and west of the runways, you never hear planes while inside the building and rarely even hear them standing outside.

Speaking of codes, I suspect U of A is University of Arizona but my brain read it as University of Alberta and was deeply confused for a second :argh:

I know I've written this in this thread before, but growing up I found the sound of C-130s/Dash 8s reversing their props oddly soothing when in bed at night. Also during the 80s the Il 76/86s were the real earthshakers that might just wake you up.

Nowadays the only large aircraft regular seen around here are C-17s, which are almost whisper-quiet compared to the Ilushins.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Nowadays the only large aircraft regular seen around here are C-17s, which are almost whisper-quiet compared to the Ilushins.

A C-17 flying through a cloud of ball bearings and pipe wrenches is quieter than an IL-76.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There's other people who read this thread that don't post. For the sake of accessibility, why not just type out an airport name?

well, you run into problems when you're talking about let's say YYZ for example, which everyone knows is Toronto. But technically it's Lester B. Pearson international. But does everyone know where Pearson airport is? Or YUL, which is Montreal. But Dorval, not Mirabel. And not Dorval anymore either, Trudeau. YYT is St. Johns, Newfoundland but everyone calls it Torbay just because. And what if you're going to London... Gatwick? Stanstead? Luton? Heathrow? City? That might be an easy one, but Milan? You ever heard of Linate or Malpensa? Didn't think so. So you say MXP or LIN, which you've never heard of either, but it makes it easier to look up. And that's why we have IATA and ICAO codes. It avoids all that confusion.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

Speaking of codes, I suspect U of A is University of Arizona but my brain read it as University of Alberta and was deeply confused for a second :argh:

:downs: Yes, yes it does mean University of Arizona.

I'm not saying it was a bad noise, but they were very noticeably louder than any other aircraft at any other airport I've spent time in the vicinity of.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I used to live a few miles from Wright-Pat and the major benefits were never having to worry about life after a Soviet first strike and every now and then a nice man came by and bought everyone in the neighborhood new windows. I don't remember anything special about noise but it did seem like the entire neighborhood was full of Mormons.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I used to live right under the approach path to Wright-Patt. It was hard to ignore the noise when the airlift wing stationed there would fly the same loop all afternoon and do touch-and-gos with their C-5s (and C-141s before that); the C-17s they use now are practically silent by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

revmoo posted:

I used to live about 2 miles from SDF and I could hear 747s taxiing before even getting to the runway on cold nights and it was pretty annoying. I currently live about a mile from a small but busy municipal strip and I'm in the approach path and hear planes all day but it's not offensive at all and actually pretty awesome seeing ww2 biplanes flying past every weekend.

Is that the strip with the little French restaurant attached to it? Le Relais, I think? I had a very memorable meal there a few years back, and it was great watching the old aircraft go by while eating.

Louisville and Memphis have the privilege of being major cargo hubs (UPS and FedEx, respectively), and I know that in our case the air traffic is busier and louder overnight than during the day. I spent the first 11 years of my life living about a mile from the edge of the Memphis airport. When we moved out to the suburbs I had trouble sleeping because it was too quiet. I know some people who live closer to the airport (or under one of the busy approach paths) that had the same experience in the days right after 9/11.