Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone else following the NY auto show? The new S63 AMG coupe is probably my favorite premiere so far.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/16/2015-mercedes-benz-s63-amg-coupe-new-york-2014/#aol-comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Even if we go to autodriving cars, ignoring the road will still be reckless, because, as I've said countless times, poo poo BREAKS, and as the nominal operator of the vehicle, you're still responsible for it.

If you want to be totally self-absorbed during your commute, take a train.

Who's the operator of a Johnny Cab? The companies developing and deploying autonomous vehicles are going to put considerable money towards lobbying for favorable regulation, just like traditional automakers did a century ago.

How do you get from the train station to your home or workplace? Autonomous vehicles aren't going to replace personally-owned and -operated vehicles immediately, they'll be more practical to operate as a fleet with taxi-like pricing but better quality of service. What if Uber could guarantee a five-star experience for every ride without having to deal with individually contracting drivers?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Who's the operator of a Johnny Cab?
Luckily, Robert Picardo.

"You're in a Johnny Cab!"
*Ploughs into brick wall, taking out six catholic schoolgirls, two nuns, and a small dog not unlike Lassie on the way*
"Please state the nature of the medical emergency..."

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

actionjackson posted:

Anyone else following the NY auto show? The new S63 AMG coupe is probably my favorite premiere so far.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/16/2015-mercedes-benz-s63-amg-coupe-new-york-2014/#aol-comments

If that thing has 664lb-ft torque from the TT V8, imagine what the V12 S65 is gonna be like. Holy poo poo

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Who's the operator of a Johnny Cab?

Quaid. Or is he Hauser? God, that movie gets confusing. :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:gonk:

what in why the gently caress

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Apparently the cool thing for 2015 is taking otherwise normal family sedans and putting huge fake moustaches on them like some Groucho gag

That picture doesn't really convey how that faux grille and the C-pillar treatment really look terrible

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

KozmoNaut posted:

I've heard that the 407 actually drives really well, but you're right about the 206, 207, 307, 308 and so on. Limp wet-noodle handling and extremely questionable contruction. The newer models such as the 208, new 308 and 508 are very nice cars indeed, so I think they're finally back to form.

Citroën made a real stinker with the first-gen C5, but other than that they've been doing quite well. Don't get me wrong, the C5 isn't a bad car (the suspension is wonderful), it just isn't very good.

I might be biased because I own one myself, but the 207 does handle pretty well and is quite responsive. Might also be because I've got the 2010 99g version which has a few minor tweaks, considering my friend's vanilla 2009 207 feels weird when I drive it(mainly the steering and gearbox) I also don't have any construction quality issues with mine, whereas my friend's has had a few issues in the past.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Smoke posted:

I might be biased because I own one myself, but the 207 does handle pretty well and is quite responsive. Might also be because I've got the 2010 99g version which has a few minor tweaks, considering my friend's vanilla 2009 207 feels weird when I drive it(mainly the steering and gearbox) I also don't have any construction quality issues with mine, whereas my friend's has had a few issues in the past.

My personal experience is mostly with 206s as courtesy cars when I've had my 406 in for service. Goddamn they are lovely, even the newer 206+ facelift ones.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

I don't get it, it's an improvement over the whale shark face of the current gen...

e- also isn't the 6.4 standard now? I know the Challenger has it as an R/T option instead of SRT

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

KozmoNaut posted:

My personal experience is mostly with 206s as courtesy cars when I've had my 406 in for service. Goddamn they are lovely, even the newer 206+ facelift ones.

Probably the wrong thread to ask this, but since PSA chat is so uncommon here, how reliable are 407s, generally? Asking local car forums yields "lol, french :supaburn:" and gets immediately derailed about DPFs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tonton Macoute posted:

Probably the wrong thread to ask this, but since PSA chat is so uncommon here, how reliable are 407s, generally? Asking local car forums yields "lol, french :supaburn:" and gets immediately derailed about DPFs.

No car is completely trouble-free, but AFAIK the 407 is a lot better than its reputation.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Powershift posted:

I would say that's the worst thing I've seen this week, but then there's this

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/16/2015-bmw-x4-new-york-2014/

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

OK Diesel Wagon enthusiasts, Audi is doing what you all wanted and bringing the A3 Sportback to the US with a diesel engine. Now it's up to you all to go buy them. Prove something like this can be a success.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

skipdogg posted:

OK Diesel Wagon enthusiasts, Audi is doing what you all wanted and bringing the A3 Sportback to the US with a diesel engine. Now it's up to you all to go buy them. Prove something like this can be a success.

I would totally be into that had I not just bought my A4 Avant. That thing needs quattro though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

skipdogg posted:

Doesn't come in a stick, not interested.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

I don't get it, it's an improvement over the whale shark face of the current gen...

e- also isn't the 6.4 standard now? I know the Challenger has it as an R/T option instead of SRT

Look at me, I'm agreeing with you. I don't get the hate, I think the revised Challenger and Charger are both sharp looking.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I like the revised front grille, but I don't think it meshed with the rest of the car at all.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

skipdogg posted:

No manual, no AWD. Get a Golf Sportwagen TDI 4Motion instead http://jalopnik.com/vw-will-bring-an-awd-manual-diesel-wagon-to-america-1562176442

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is AWD on that confirmed for the US? I heard it wasn't yet.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I like the revised front grille, but I don't think it meshed with the rest of the car at all.

They really should have done something to make the corsshair grill pop out a bit more, make it chrome maybe or make that lower bumper bit body color. As it stands there's too much black on the front.

If the rest of the car is black it looks slightly better.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

VikingSkull posted:

That definitely isn't an improvement over the current gen. The current gen is very handsome looking, this looks like a vehicle out of a budget racing sim.

The new Challenger looks nice as gently caress though.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 17, 2014

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Here I fixed it for them. I'll be expecting a check in the mail.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
The bumper doesn't change anything. It's the droopy face.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

Since when is an A3 hatchback a wagon instead of a $30k+ Golf with a slightly nicer interior?

You'll find that on the lot right next to the GTD!

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Is it just me or does it resemble the Impala SS from at the front at this angle?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's definitely just you.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Stealth Like posted:

Here I fixed it for them. I'll be expecting a check in the mail.

If you squint just the right way, you can see the tiniest hint of the '68 grille. The LEDs sort of resemble light glimmering off the chrome at the farthest edges and the black horizontal piece with the crosshair is the main opening between the headlights on the '68.

Of course that's with the much improved photoshopped bumper.

It's still better than the current front end.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Why would you get manual on a diesel. Why even bother?

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I suppose that the newer turbo charged diesels would be that slow but then again I've never driven a diesel.

And what's with you guys hating on the current Charger front end? I think it looks leaps and bounds better than the 2015.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cream_Filling posted:

Mine is fine with the manual.

I'm not even hung up on the manual thing, just give me a loving 335d wagon or an A4 3.0 TDI wagon and I'd be happy. Probably less so with the BMW since it would almost definitely start at $55-60k, but the option would be nice. Gotta make more 4 series variants instead.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

Who asks this kind of question in AI?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BraveUlysses posted:

Who asks this kind of question in AI?
Diesels in regular cars are a pain with a manual, especially if you're used to driving a petrol. They really suit modern dual-clutch autos, though.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

Diesels in regular cars are a pain with a manual, especially if you're used to driving a petrol. They really suit modern dual-clutch autos, though.

My car is anything but a pain with the manual. I didn't want the DSG and the extra servicing it requires.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That new Charger is a drat sight better looking than this horrible ugly POS.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

Give me mine with a cvt. :v:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cream_Filling posted:

The DSG with the TDI is a match made in heaven. The extra servicing ends up being like $200 every 35 or 45k miles. Unless your mechatronic gives out, I guess, but that tends to happen early enough for warranty to cover it.

Still, though, the A3 TDI's been here for years so other than it now being the only A3 hatchback available there's not that much to get excited about.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Some guy on reddit got up close to the new Z06 (with Z07 aero package?)

http://imgur.com/a/ZyWb3 (47 images)
http://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/239k16/i_got_to_poke_around_the_2014_corvette_z06/

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

The DSG with the TDI is a match made in heaven. The extra servicing ends up being like $200 every 35 or 45k miles. Unless your mechatronic gives out, I guess, but that tends to happen early enough for warranty to cover it.

Still, though, the A3 TDI's been here for years so other than it now being the only A3 hatchback available there's not that much to get excited about.

The A3 etron will be offered here as a sportback as well. Still too small for me with a car seat, but they Golf Sportwagen is attractive as hell. I'd consider that when I'm done with my S4 in a couple years. TDI + DSG + 4Motion (if it happens) would be really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

KakerMix posted:

Doesn't come in a stick, not interested.

actionjackson posted:

I would totally be into that had I not just bought my A4 Avant. That thing needs quattro though.

http://jalopnik.com/vw-will-bring-an-awd-manual-diesel-wagon-to-america-1562176442

Diesel, Quattro, and manual. Just doesn't have the Audi badges.

E: doh, beaten by Guiness

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 17, 2014