Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Since you have a clone bay, Infinite Jesters should be just "Jesters". We're all infinite in space, bro...you're not special...

(edit: update ten just a few posts back on the previous page! don't miss it!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Ahahaha, oh man, I'm the hosed-Up Weirdo Mantis Who Thinks They're Human. That's one of my favorite events.

"I remember the before times... before the great unthinking. There was killing, and dying, and burning of lungs. But now I am learning again, because I am a human, and that is what humans do!" :downs:

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Araganzar posted:

Since you have a clone bay, Infinite Jesters should be just "Jesters". We're all infinite in space, bro...you're not special...

(edit: update ten just a few posts back on the previous page! don't miss it!)

Please have more respect for the late David Foster Wallace, tia

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Glenn_Beckett posted:

Please have more respect for the late David Foster Wallace, tia

Sorry, my bad.1
1. What I mean by that is, were our positions reversed, I doubt DFW would offer the same nor would he want it. It may be too familiar of me to use the moniker "DFW"2 but there's no good way to say "David Foster Wallace" without losing something essential. "David Wallace" sounds like a banker or mid-level manager, it seems a bit kitschy to call him "Dave", and "Foster" rarely works as a given name3 - "Foster Wallace" sounds like that creepy guy from high school. We need a lossless compression algorithm for nicknames. In any event, I feel safe in assuming that it's accceptable to reach the borders of or straight-up inhabit sacrilege.
2. Again this takes us back to the lack of respect
3. A commonly-subscribed origin for "Foster" is a shearer, or a "maker of scissors". I leave you to draw4 your own conclusions about any celebrities with that surname.
4. Not literally, although that would be swell, if also potentially actionable.

edit: Dang Mom you caught me in an edit, which I guess is also appropriate. Glad this wasn't too much of a derail. I hope we find a store soon!

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 16, 2014

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?

Araganzar posted:

Sorry, my bad.1
1. What I mean by that is, were our positions reversed, I doubt DFW would offer the same nor would he want it. It may be too familiar of me to use the moniker "DFW"2 but there's no good way to say "David Foster Wallace" without losing something essential. "David Wallace" sounds like a banker or mid-level manager, it seems a bit kitschy to call him "Dave", and "Foster" rarely works as a given name3 - "Foster Wallace" sounds like that creepy guy from high school. We need a lossless compression algorithm for nicknames. In any event, I feel safe in assuming that it's accceptable to reach the borders of or straight-up inhabit sacrilege.
3. A commonly-subscribed origin for "Foster" is a shearer, or a "maker of scissors". I leave you to draw4 your own conclusions about any celebrities with that surname.
4. Not literally, although that would be swell.

I hope we find a store soon!

Haahahahahaha, goddamn. I actually started reading Infinite Jest a little while before I started this series; I'm still working on it, and this is hilarious.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Skill wise you are better off not purposely killing off you own crew. Example, If you are 8/8(16) kills in fighting and at ~60% health you can do more damage before they die than a 100% 7/8. And the shields/weapons/engine guys that don't normally take damage should be able to use the small healing to get back up to full before taking more damage.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Major_JF posted:

Skill wise you are better off not purposely killing off you own crew. Example, If you are 8/8(16) kills in fighting and at ~60% health you can do more damage before they die than a 100% 7/8. And the shields/weapons/engine guys that don't normally take damage should be able to use the small healing to get back up to full before taking more damage.
When I was doing a runthrough as Lanius I found upgrading the clone bay to 3 as soon as possible and trying to avoid killing them as much as possible was the way to go. Healing 25% of health every jump is pretty useful.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

I'm still deciding how I'd like to approach using the clone bay with boarders. You are right that skilled crew members are much more effective at fighting. The problem I run into is that before they hit their first level of skill you can run into a fight that you really need them to be at full health for, and if they aren't you can take a lot more damage to your hull than you'd like. You raise a good point though. Ultimately I think the med bay is just better. It has more utility, it's less risky in many ways, and it doesn't need to be upgraded to be effective to the same degree that the clone bay does.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Momplestiltskin posted:

I'm still deciding how I'd like to approach using the clone bay with boarders. You are right that skilled crew members are much more effective at fighting. The problem I run into is that before they hit their first level of skill you can run into a fight that you really need them to be at full health for, and if they aren't you can take a lot more damage to your hull than you'd like. You raise a good point though. Ultimately I think the med bay is just better. It has more utility, it's less risky in many ways, and it doesn't need to be upgraded to be effective to the same degree that the clone bay does.
The Clone Bay has a number of fringe benefits that make it pretty powerful, but you don't want to overuse it. The biggest strength of the clone bay is that it will still heal you jump to jump even when it isn't powered (and I think it still triggers to save your crewmen in events when it isn't powered too), so there's no reason not to upgrade it fully as soon as possible. Basically you don't want to force crewmen to die to make use of it, but rather consider the cloning to be a side-benefit.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Personally I prefer the clone bay just because I don't have to do quite so much micromanaging of my crew, and can keep tossing crew at enemy ships over and over. A more skilled player could probably make more use of the medbay than the clone bay, but I personally never pass up the clone bay if I get the chance. Never having to worry about tedious medbay shuffling and losing important crew is just too much of a bonus for me to pass up.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Ironically, the clone bay would normally be a clear win if you're using Lanius boarders, since most of their damage comes from asphyxiation instead of from bonking people on the head, so who cares if their combat skill degrades? But you can't kill off Lanius at-will, so you're stuck with whatever health level they have when they teleport in.

Clone Bay + Reconstructive Teleport seems almost strictly better than medbay, but that's a pretty substantial scrap investment.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Inadequately posted:

Personally I prefer the clone bay just because I don't have to do quite so much micromanaging of my crew, and can keep tossing crew at enemy ships over and over. A more skilled player could probably make more use of the medbay than the clone bay, but I personally never pass up the clone bay if I get the chance. Never having to worry about tedious medbay shuffling and losing important crew is just too much of a bonus for me to pass up.

My main problem with the clone bay is that if a stray missile or ion intruder (*shakes fist) hits it at the wrong time, you are gonna have a bad time. With the medbay you can typically teleport your guys back at low hp or just run them away until you can do so. If you happen to need to clone someone and they are in the queue when it's hit, well sorry friend but you just lost your man. Also, the med bay at level 2 has a lot of great blue options, while the clone bay allows you to avoid disaster in many events, it doesn't have much utility in helping you get good rewards for free. I do like that people have different opinions than me; I think it just shows what a great game FTL is. As MadScientist said, a lot of it comes down to individual play style. I typically use a very crew-murderous style that is more conducive to having boarders at full hp.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Momplestiltskin posted:

My main problem with the clone bay is that if a stray missile or ion intruder (*shakes fist) hits it at the wrong time, you are gonna have a bad time. With the medbay you can typically teleport your guys back at low hp or just run them away until you can do so. If you happen to need to clone someone and they are in the queue when it's hit, well sorry friend but you just lost your man.
Early on that is a problem but along the way you should be able to find the DNA Bank Augmentation which pretty much renders that disadvantage null.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 16, 2014

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Normally I would only post one episode per day, but we have an interesting choice at the end of this episode, and I thought it might be fun to get some thread input (which we need a little more time to allow for people from outside the US to have some input). This isn't necessarily a vote per se, but your opinions will certainly influence my choice. You will know what I am referring to once you get to the end of the episode.

Episode Eleven: "The Civilian Big Missile Crisis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DMPgY7IJVQ"

psluuthor
Oct 29, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

Early on that is a problem but along the way you should be able to find the DNA Bank Augmentation which pretty much renders that disadvantage null.

Except you might not find it, or there may be something better available, or it might show up much later on after you've already lost several people. You are suggesting that folks buy that augmentation along with reconstructive teleport in order to make a clone bay better than a medbay when you could be using those two augmentation slots and extra scrap for lots of other stuff and not have to rely on being lucky enough to get those specific augmentations. It just doesn't seem practical to me.

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Araganzar posted:

Sorry, my bad.1
1. What I mean by that is, were our positions reversed, I doubt DFW would offer the same nor would he want it. It may be too familiar of me to use the moniker "DFW"2 but there's no good way to say "David Foster Wallace" without losing something essential. "David Wallace" sounds like a banker or mid-level manager, it seems a bit kitschy to call him "Dave", and "Foster" rarely works as a given name3 - "Foster Wallace" sounds like that creepy guy from high school. We need a lossless compression algorithm for nicknames. In any event, I feel safe in assuming that it's accceptable to reach the borders of or straight-up inhabit sacrilege. M l
4. Not literally, although that would be swell, if also potentially actionable.

edit: Dang Mom you caught me in an edit, which I guess is also appropriate. Glad this wasn't too much of a derail. I hope we find a store soon!

The post of The Whopper

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

psluuthor posted:

Except you might not find it, or there may be something better available, or it might show up much later on after you've already lost several people. You are suggesting that folks buy that augmentation along with reconstructive teleport in order to make a clone bay better than a medbay when you could be using those two augmentation slots and extra scrap for lots of other stuff and not have to rely on being lucky enough to get those specific augmentations. It just doesn't seem practical to me.

I'm the one who noted the value of Reconstructive Teleport. I'd absolutely have trouble justifying getting it and DNA banks just to avoid losing crew, and it alone is pretty expensive (70 scrap, if I recall correctly). Neither is remotely necessary to get value out of the clone bay.

Honestly I say if you're running a clone bay and something disrupts it while you have a dead crewmember in there, then you just suck it up and deal. That's similar to sending a low-health crew into the medbay and it getting blown up, killing the crewmember in the process. I mean, it's a bit more likely (since you can't always choose when crew get sent into the clone bay), but it's still pretty rare.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

You know, you could've boarded that angry prisoner transport with your Mantises while your Lanius were dead.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Veloxyll posted:

You know, you could've boarded that angry prisoner transport with your Mantises while your Lanius were dead.

Ah yes, I thought about that when I was editing the video afterward. Missed opportunity! While I think I am pretty good, you will definitely see mistakes like that happen from time to time. There were also times I should have fired off hacking sooner to avoid being hit with missiles and things like that, but such is life in the cruel void of space. When I play outside of the LP I typically pause A LOT more and consider my situation more carefully, but that's not so much fun to watch I think.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'd suggest going to Rockland. We have a rock crewman who could save us from some dangerous rock related events, but we have no slugs to help us navigate the Slugula.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
I would add that a cool Thing to do with hacking is abusing it to Isolate Crew members, which is even more fun if you Isolate them from their medbay.
Hacking the medbay makes it poisonous, and if you time it right ist pretty effective in killing Crew.
You can also do that to kill the Pilot of the final ship (by hacking the shield bay) without having to deal with the rest of the Crew.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

my dad posted:

I'd suggest going to Rockland. We have a rock crewman who could save us from some dangerous rock related events, but we have no slugs to help us navigate the Slugula.

Echo this. We've got a fairly talented Rock on staff and those blue options can be a big help.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

my dad posted:

I almost voted the other way because I want to pick up a Slug, but yeah this makes more sense.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
I agree with the others. We have a Rock, so let's go to the hard place.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
We will, we will ROCK YOU

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
I too think we should rock, Nebula's are no fun constant storms with power and sensor failure are just annoying.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Rock. IIRC, you need a slug for the slug ship event (which might pop up before a crew store), also two nebulas in a row would be boring.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Overwhelming consensus is Rock, so I think it is safe to say Rock it shall be. Onward we venture--for scrap, and for The Federation. :patriot:

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I am sad that you did not bribe the rebel station to let civilians go as you probably still would have gotten to fight the rebel ship.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

cokerpilot posted:

I am sad that you did not bribe the rebel station to let civilians go as you probably still would have gotten to fight the rebel ship.

Really? In my experience, most of the time they just look the other way and take the scrap, and most of the time I recoup the scrap. If not, it's a pittance in scrap anyway.

Also re: the cloning bay, the backup DNA bank is useful, but not mandatory, and you can also just teleport your guys back/run them around a little if you need to fix up your clonebay. Basically I find having the clonebay mitigates most of the most common ways to lose your crewmembers: accidentally firing/breaking a system on a boarded ship, forgetting about the cloak on an autodrone, random events, etc. If you're skilled enough that those aren't a problem, and you're more likely to lose crew from the clonebay getting damaged/ioned, I can see how you might get more use out of the medbay.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Momplestiltskin posted:

Overwhelming consensus is Rock, so I think it is safe to say Rock it shall be. Onward we venture--for scrap, and for The Federation. :patriot:

Loop this as your background music for that sector please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdypCmZaBDs

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Momplestiltskin posted:

Considering you have a Rock crewmember and do not have a Slug crewmember the choice of Rock Homeworld over Slug Homeworld is pretty ovbious.

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012

Neruz posted:

Considering you have a Rock crewmember and do not have a Slug crewmember the choice of Rock Homeworld over Slug Homeworld is pretty ovbious.

Yay I can be of help!

Getting re-constructive teleport with level 3 teleporting is fun, you get in kill things get out and can go back in almost immediately.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
A crazy man that was trapped on a planet alone that just happens to be a master of firing weapons? Yeah that sounds about right for me.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Kirenski posted:

Yay I can be of help!

Getting re-constructive teleport with level 3 teleporting is fun, you get in kill things get out and can go back in almost immediately.

Can you teleport crewmembers in your own ship too? If so with reconstructive teleport and a clone bay you can use the reconstructive teleport to heal all your dudes at the end of each fight by just teleporting them around your ship, thus allowing you to bring people back from the dead and heal them like a medbay.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
You can only teleport crew from your ship to the enemy ship if the enemy ship is still a threat - i.e. if there's still enemy crew alive, or anytime an AI ship is still active. Once the fight is over, you can only teleport crew still on their ship back, and can't beam people there anymore. Teleporting mind-controlled enemies to your ship is the only exception, I think.

If you're particularly desperate you could tie up the last remaining crewmember in combat, then teleport crew that need healing back and forth. Not very practical or useful in most cases, but I did manage to heal a gold-ranked Lanius pilot with this strategy once.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Oh well, the reconstructive teleport lets you heal your boarders each time you launch them at least.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Is there still space to add my name to the Crew Lists?

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Neruz posted:

Well not necessarily. For one, Rocks don't actually have a whole lot of blue options with other Rocks. Rock blue options are usually ones that take advantage of how badass rocks are, not really diplomacy with other Rocks. And while I would say Rock Homeworlds typically has better scrap and events than slug home nebula, the slug home nebula is interesting and that's really what this let's play is all about. Hence the vote.

e: Always room on the list, just keep in mind that the list is quite long so if you sign up now without submitting a bio your chances of getting on a ship any time soon are pretty slim.

Episode Twelve is now Up "An Ancient Crystal Device? Scrap It." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzvUksvFFb0

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I've beaten the game 4 or 5 times and never even SEEN the crystal device until now.

• Locked thread