Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

:( But I am southern =/

"Texas is south of something, but it's not the south". My grandma, 8th generation southerner.

Take it outside, y'all. This is a place to celebrate, not slap fight about what we stole from West Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Croatoan posted:

No, there's being southern and being a dumbass from the south. You consistently say dumbassed things and yet you're from the south. Stop embarrassing us.
It's like you heard that butter = southern cooking but you don't know how it works. It's peasant food. It's not expensive but you have to do it right to make it good. It's browning the seasonings at the same time as the butter, it works together, it's not hard, you just have to pay attention to the food. You can say it's clarified butter or non clarified butter, you tilt the pan to separate both if you need.
Good god. Butter is like our olive oil, it's not that we dip our food in it.

:words:

Y'all are sure mad about a lovely food.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Vegetable Melange posted:

slap fight about what we stole from West Africa.

On that note, do you know any good histories of soul food and its African roots? My mother in law made some incredibly racist claims and I want to educate myself.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Well tell us what bullshit she hacked up, then.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

No, there's being southern and being a dumbass from the south. You consistently say dumbassed things and yet you're from the south. Stop embarrassing us.
It's like you heard that butter = southern cooking but you don't know how it works. It's peasant food. It's not expensive but you have to do it right to make it good. It's browning the seasonings at the same time as the butter, it works together, it's not hard, you just have to pay attention to the food. You can say it's clarified butter or non clarified butter, you tilt the pan to separate both if you need.
Good god. Butter is like our olive oil, it's not that we dip our food in it.

you're being very, very silly.

saying there's no real or quantifiable technique behind southern cooking is like explaining creation away by being all 'oh don't worry your pretty little head about that, god created it all, and that's all you need to know.'

CdC raises very valid points about blackening. points worth at very least discussing, seeing as this is a forum about cooking technique. any dumb poo poo can put a fish in a pan with some butter and seasoning and call it blackened, but getting it really technically right is not "not hard".

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

CdC raises very valid points about blackening. points worth at very least discussing, seeing as this is a forum about cooking technique. any dumb poo poo can put a fish in a pan with some butter and seasoning and call it blackened, but getting it really technically right is not "not hard".

I'll give you that but "drench your protein in melted butter, then pour more butter on later" is not a southern cooking technique I've ever seen and it's just a negative stereotype. Also, I was trying to imply that there's actually a lot of skill in it, not the opposite, sorry I could have been clearer.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Vegetable Melange posted:

That's pretty cool. What kind of food?

German and Polish Mennonite food, along with the regular potluck fare. There's a bunch of weird staples, like those frozen cream puffs from costco, homemade deer sausage because some relatives hunt, and there's always 2 or 3 types of ham. Sometimes my aunt will make one of two kinds of delicious mennonite soup, summer borscht and another one I can't remember the name of that has cabbage, tomato, beet leaves, and a bunch of other stuff. I'll have to get the recipe at Easter. They make this one in huge vats at the Niverville Fair every year too.

A couple of my aunts and uncles live really close to New Bothwell, MB so there's always a plate of Bothwell cheeses and crackers/pickles/meats.

Now I'm really excited for Easter! :)

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Oh yeah, Polish Easter ham.

As for the food ways of the south I don't have any concrete analysis, but I'll dig some up this week.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Sjurygg posted:

Well tell us what bullshit she hacked up, then.

I forgot how it came up, but I was talking about my time in the south with the military and about how much I missed the food. I was talking about a place a friend brought me to and the lady at the counter was amazed that I would try chitlins and she then told every person who came in that "Look, that white girl is eatin chitlins!"

Mother in law then busted out with "You know, black people STOLE soul food from white people". I know this isn't true, and knowing WHAT dishes 'carried' over from African and other cooking styles might help me put her on the spot next time she tries this poo poo and force her to explain her reasoning.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Amykinz posted:

I forgot how it came up, but I was talking about my time in the south with the military and about how much I missed the food. I was talking about a place a friend brought me to and the lady at the counter was amazed that I would try chitlins and she then told every person who came in that "Look, that white girl is eatin chitlins!"

Mother in law then busted out with "You know, black people STOLE soul food from white people". I know this isn't true, and knowing WHAT dishes 'carried' over from African and other cooking styles might help me put her on the spot next time she tries this poo poo and force her to explain her reasoning.

I have a racist mother-in-law too. Facts aren't going to change her. You might succeed in temporarily embarrassing her into silence, but be assured that she's just bottling up all the bigoted vitriol for later.

That said I personally would be really interested to learn about the origins of soul food/southern cooking if anyone wants to explain.

Sorry about your MIL, Amykinz. Just remember: you get to help pick her nursing home.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Wroughtirony posted:

I have a racist mother-in-law too. Facts aren't going to change her. You might succeed in temporarily embarrassing her into silence, but be assured that she's just bottling up all the bigoted vitriol for later.

That said I personally would be really interested to learn about the origins of soul food/southern cooking if anyone wants to explain.

Sorry about your MIL, Amykinz. Just remember: you get to help pick her nursing home.

Make sure it has plenty of black and other minority carers.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
all this blackening talk got me craving some catfish. did some with a creole sauce over logan turnpike grits tonight, was deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious.

I did a hybrid butter method on a cast iron pan and it worked perfectly. thinnest possible sheen of peanut oil smoking hot in the pan, fish dryrubbed 1hr before, in the pan without touching for 2-3 minutes. then in a few knobs of butter, till just beginning to brown, flip, another minute or two to temp, and out and rested on a cutting board. worked perfectly - lots of crispy crust on the fish, and the pan cleaned up in under 15 seconds with a quick rinse and scrub.

cooking technique is fun. :)

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

Eh, she watches too much fox news to change, I know that. I'm just trying to get her to stop telling me her bullshit. And I would truly like to learn about the origins of soul food because it is so drat good.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Amykinz posted:

Eh, she watches too much fox news to change, I know that. I'm just trying to get her to stop telling me her bullshit. And I would truly like to learn about the origins of soul food because it is so drat good.

I was under the impression that soul food's origins were rooted in the slave trade: That slave-owners gave their slaves the shittiest stuff they could get away with as food, like tough leaves and miscellaneous meat bits.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

I'd agree with subg, but the kind of heat I've always cooked with re: blackening, would just make butter taste acrid instantly. I don't disagree that browned butter makes for a good blackened piece of fish though, and may or may not be integral to the "traditional" "cajun" version - I'd just maybe add it in the last ~30sec of cooking.
If you scrape down your cooking surface with a turner in between flips it shouldn't get bitter. You're dredging the fish in butter, and typically adding a little on top, not as an arroser type thing, but just to make sure the top side is still covered with it when you flip it, and it's going onto a dry surface. The butter isn't going to burn because between all the water it has and the fish itself, the heat's going into boiling the water. Exactly what fucks up the crust on a slab of protein if you're trying to sear it wet. The finesse is to have your fillets sized right so that you're cooking them through before the bottom face of the meat is dry enough to start charring.

Anyway, I really don't give a poo poo whether or not anyone actually approaches it this way. I've just seen Ramsay entirely from cooking videos people have posted, and most of the time he's basically a spergy prick about technique. Which is cool, whatever. So it seemed weird that here he is basically just grilling some catfish with some spices and calling it a blackened catfish. I mean it's no skin off my rear end either way. Carbonara with ham and peas? Whatever. Caesar salad with ranch dressing. That's on you man. I'm just saying it's weird to see GR being that cavalier about that kind of thing.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I don't need to post anymore because SubG always posts what I'm thinking before I get to it. Or I do. Crosspost'n from the cajun thread:

pr0k posted:

The butter is supposed to burn? Well not even burn exactly - a good bit of it polymerizes. The skillet is supposed to be hot enough that its seasoning burns off. The butter and spices combine and make a kind of crust that isn't even really spicy anymore because most of the capsaicin polymerizes too.

This is what it should look like. It flares up a good bit like that when you pour the butter on top.

http://www.imbored-letsgo.com/blackened-fish/

Interestingly, if you google "blackened fish" 80% of the images are of cajun-seasoned-seared-fish that isn't blackened at all, and 19% are of burnt to poo poo fish.

To be fair, cajun spiced fish that is high-heat seared but not blackened can still be delicious. And GR refers twice to "that blackened flavor" but doesn't actually call the technique blackening. You gotta figure he knows what blackening is.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Scientastic posted:

I was under the impression that soul food's origins were rooted in the slave trade: That slave-owners gave their slaves the shittiest stuff they could get away with as food, like tough leaves and miscellaneous meat bits.

According to the Wikipedia article, soul food has a few roots, one of them being plantation owners feeding their slaves as cheaply as they possibly could, and others being the influence of Native American foods in the region and various staples that made their way around Africa and then around the world due to exploration and (a bit later) the slave trade, like sorghum, rice, cassava, okra, and so on.

Chitlins apparently came from medieval Europe, but given that the peasant food of any population is pretty much "what we can grow cheaply" plus "the parts of animals rich folk don't eat", cooked and seasoned to suit local preferences, there are bound to be common threads in any culture.

Food is in many ways a lot like language. Intercultural contact leaves its mark on the cuisines of both cultures, and people with nothing in common thrown together will find a way to adapt something that works for everyone with what they have available to them.

Soul food is basically the Creole of cuisines.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Bertrand Hustle posted:

According to the Wikipedia article, soul food has a few roots, one of them being plantation owners feeding their slaves as cheaply as they possibly could, and others being the influence of Native American foods in the region and various staples that made their way around Africa and then around the world due to exploration and (a bit later) the slave trade, like sorghum, rice, cassava, okra, and so on.

Chitlins apparently came from medieval Europe, but given that the peasant food of any population is pretty much "what we can grow cheaply" plus "the parts of animals rich folk don't eat", cooked and seasoned to suit local preferences, there are bound to be common threads in any culture.

Food is in many ways a lot like language. Intercultural contact leaves its mark on the cuisines of both cultures, and people with nothing in common thrown together will find a way to adapt something that works for everyone with what they have available to them.

The talk page on that article is kind of funny.

quote:

Chitlins are eaten in other countries as well. In southern China, I had the best chitlins I've ever eaten served with greens and liver. Chinese chitlins need mentioning.Onionhound 11:28, 15 October 2005 (UTC)

Why doesn't anyone mention the SMELL?--The dez 08:39, 1 January 2006 (UTC)

What about the smell? Bastie 05:19, 6 May 2006 (UTC)

Unless thoroughly pre-cooked (for a whole day), chitlins smell rather awful in the cooking pot. Southern folk wisdom says throwing in an apple or a potato helps absorb the odors. 04:30, 9 May 2006 (UTC)

Amen to that.

For the smell-Chitlings smell like poo poo. People have constantly said that. And I edited the portions for the US, it's not just the "Deep South" it's areas where black people live, geography doesn't matter there. I'm black and know that -SWF

quote:

Why are chitterlings still consumed by blacks?

i work in a local grocery store. This past holiday season we had a number of requests for chitterlings (we don't sell them, but may next year). I'm really currious. Why would blacks want to consume something that had once been considered garbage? If I had been kept captive and fed pig guts, the last thing I'd want to do is continue the practice when released. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 72.67.35.97 (talk) 21:47, 23 January 2009 (UTC)

People (not just blacks) are curious about what people in other times and cultures ate. Unusual foods can be conversation starters at parties. And some people just like the taste. There's three obvious reasons for your enlightenment. Now bag me some chitlins, punk! Magmagoblin (talk) 10:36, 20 February 2009 (UTC)

Many eat it since they were young for generations whereas many white people never ever eaten it. It's an acquired taste and because of that, Blacks are more commonly the main consumers. Yialanliu (talk) 00:32, 2 March 2009 (UTC)

Worse yet, the citing of Trescott's work (Trescott, Jacqueline (April 25, 2003) i misleading. Pig intestines have been used to make sausages for centuries all over the world, including and especially Europe. It is a well known fact that is expressed earlier in the article. This quote may or may not be out of context for this reason, but it should be removed if only to avoid contradiction. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 71.207.230.205 (talk) 12:50, 10 March 2010 (UTC)

Should be noted that chiitterlings, usually fried, are eaten by white southerners. Admittedly less frequently. For just one source- [[2]]. 72.209.63.226 (talk) 22:16, 10 November 2010 (UTC)

As compared to white southern cooking, black southern cooking and the food of the African American Diaspora (aka "Soul Food") tends to be (a) spicier and (b) a bit more conservative, holding on to things like chitterlings, hog maws, and collard greens, which are becoming increasingly rare in white households outside of very rural areas. It's interesting to speculate on the reasons behind this conservatism, or perhaps we should say the willingness of southern whites to abandon a number of their traditional foods. But let's speculate over a plate of chitterlings! After all, if you've ever had a hot dog, you've already eaten every part of a pig... 50.13.219.4 (talk) 00:03, 23 April 2012 (UTC)

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Or Metis! :canada: The French-Canadian Voyageurs would eat pemmican and bannock on the road whilst spreading their seed and french culture to the native communities on the fur-trade routes, and back home it would still be fairly simple aboriginal foods with a french twist: buffalo tourtiere, wild berry pies, stews and soups, wild rice, meatballs, salt fish and meat, and eventually canned stuff like saskatoon jam or canned meats.

It was also interesting because the Voyageur were known to bring other regional native cultural tricks and traditions back to their own communities, and have salt wives of a sort along the trade routes so different tribal values were getting significantly mixed all along the way. They'd get busy with the locals and if a kid resulted, they would apparently do what they could to support their numerous families, and sometimes even taking their bastard boys back to their own communities to grow up and become voyageurs. These kids would have had a taste of their mother's culture for the first portion of their lives and then it would mix with the voyageur culture and whichever other aboriginal culture would be in the region their dad came from. It makes for a really fascinating mix of cultures.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The GF wants me try sorghum, but to me it's just cattle feed... She swears its The Next Big Thing in grain fads.

She wants to serve it as part of spring menu she is doing for a popup restaurant in Boston. What do you goons think of sorghum?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People eat millet now and that's always been bird food to me, so why not. Can't say I've ever had it, though.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Here is an article all about grains written by my future wife, in case you haven't seen it. I don't even care at all about whole grains but found it really interesting.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Clavietika posted:

Or Metis! :canada: The French-Canadian Voyageurs would eat pemmican and bannock on the road whilst spreading their seed and french culture to the native communities on the fur-trade routes, and back home it would still be fairly simple aboriginal foods with a french twist: buffalo tourtiere, wild berry pies, stews and soups, wild rice, meatballs, salt fish and meat, and eventually canned stuff like saskatoon jam or canned meats.

It was also interesting because the Voyageur were known to bring other regional native cultural tricks and traditions back to their own communities, and have salt wives of a sort along the trade routes so different tribal values were getting significantly mixed all along the way. They'd get busy with the locals and if a kid resulted, they would apparently do what they could to support their numerous families, and sometimes even taking their bastard boys back to their own communities to grow up and become voyageurs. These kids would have had a taste of their mother's culture for the first portion of their lives and then it would mix with the voyageur culture and whichever other aboriginal culture would be in the region their dad came from. It makes for a really fascinating mix of cultures.

Sounds like miscegenation to me!

That is pretty fascinating. I'm Jewish and the stereotypical Jewish food is herring, potato latkes, etc - essentially Eastern European. The Claudia Roden book on Jewish cooking covers a huge spectrum of cuisines, from right around the Mediterranean and into Eastern Europe, reflecting, like your post, the exchanges between different cultures.

I've never had sorghum but I'm absolutely open to trying it. Oats used to be animal feed, defined by Doctor Johnson I think as a cereal that is fed to animals in England but eaten by people north of the border (Scotland). So sorghum being animal feed matters not!

quote:

Definition of "oats": "A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland appears to support the people."

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

The GF wants me try sorghum, but to me it's just cattle feed... She swears its The Next Big Thing in grain fads.

She wants to serve it as part of spring menu she is doing for a popup restaurant in Boston. What do you goons think of sorghum?

It's not really a grain application, but sorghum syrup (pressed out of the plant bodies, I think, and probably boiled down) is a dark-colored sweetener similar to molasses or rice syrup. My family has a recipe for what we call oatmeal sausage, which is basically pig head ground up with steel cut oats and pressed into a rectangular block. Sort of like scrapple but using oats instead of wheat flour. We cut it into centimeter-thick portions and pan-fried it in a cast iron skillet until brown and crispy on the outside, then served with sorghum syrup.

I've made oatmeal sausage a few times, but the flavor is never quite right. Part of it is the quality of hog, but the rest is the sorghum syrup - while it's similar to other plant-based sweeteners, nothing else has quite the same flavor.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

oh god why did you have to remind me of that

:puke: :metis:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

pr0k posted:

oh god why did you have to remind me of that

:puke: :metis:

What is seen cannot be unseen.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

bartolimu posted:

It's not really a grain application, but sorghum syrup (pressed out of the plant bodies, I think, and probably boiled down) is a dark-colored sweetener similar to molasses or rice syrup. My family has a recipe for what we call oatmeal sausage, which is basically pig head ground up with steel cut oats and pressed into a rectangular block. Sort of like scrapple but using oats instead of wheat flour. We cut it into centimeter-thick portions and pan-fried it in a cast iron skillet until brown and crispy on the outside, then served with sorghum syrup.

I've made oatmeal sausage a few times, but the flavor is never quite right. Part of it is the quality of hog, but the rest is the sorghum syrup - while it's similar to other plant-based sweeteners, nothing else has quite the same flavor.

This is a true thing. Sorghum syrup is also the only thing that is quite right to serve on cornbread.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What is seen cannot be unseen.

I am so so glad the sound didn't work on the copy I saw.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

I am so so glad the sound didn't work on the copy I saw.

For those of you curious, a slightly more tame version with some poetic license and sound.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Wait, is oatmeal in sausages not common? I know it's not in every type but I thought it was pretty common? I've seen family/friends make them with like millet and all sorts of grains like that.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Oatmeal is quite common as a binder in black pudding/blood sausage.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Just chopped no salted a napa cabbage and daikon for kimchi, but I had to basically double the recipe because my cabbage is the size of a toddler. Thank you, Asian mega market, for helping me to realize my April of odd farts.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Hello friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz9r4H9kaTI

This lady's like the Laotian Manjula. So sweet and friendly.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

Hello friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz9r4H9kaTI

This lady's like the Laotian Manjula. So sweet and friendly.

nice. I make this dish (or my version of it anyways) to bring to barbeques, it's always a huge hit

but wow, that is a lot of MSG. I love MSG and all, but the most I'll ever add to a dish/marinade is a pinch - 1/10th of what she's using maybe. after a pinch or two stuff just starts tasting crazy to me.

I also like that she returns her mixing spoon to sit in the MSG dish while she's not using it, so even more is probably being picked up.

does anyone know anything about the 'frozen crab' stuff she's using? I've never heard of it/seen it.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

I'm gonna bake a fairly simple cake from an old cookbook and have 'modernised' the recipe, but I just wanted some insight on whether I've missed anything or made any silly mistakes etc.

Old Recipes posted:

Lemon Cake, Rich.—Beat three-quarters
of a pound of fresh butter to a cream.
Work into it six ounces of dried flour, and add
three-quarters of a pound of powdered sugar,
the grated rind of two lemons, and the well beaten
yolks of nine eggs. When thoroughly
mixed, stir in the white of six eggs, beaten to a
firm froth, and two table-spoonfuls of brandy.
Put the mixture into a well-buttered mould,
and bake in a moderate oven. Time to bake,
nearly an hour. Probable cost, 2s. 6d. Sufficient
for a pint and a half mould.

With
Frost, or Icing, for Cakes. —The
quality of the sugar should be attended to for
this icing. Procure of the best double refined
sugar, twelve ounces, and sift it ; whisk the
whites of four eggs to a strong froth, and stir
in the sugar by degrees, beating the whole time
to make it smooth; mix in the strained juice of
half a lemon, and lay on the preparation while
the cakes are hot, smoothing it equally all over
with a flat spoon or broad knife. Let it harden
in a cool oven; see that it is not hot enough to
colour the icing.

Modern Version posted:

Lemon Cake, Rich
340g Butter
170g Flour (self raising)
340g Icing sugar
9 Egg yolks
6 Egg whites
2 Lemons
2 Tblsp. brandy

• Cream the butter.
  • Work in the flour.
  • Add the sugar, grated lemon rinds and 9 egg yolks.
  • Beat the 6 egg whites to a 'firm froth'.
  • Add the 2 tblsp. of brandy.
  • Pour into a buttered dish.
  • Bake at 180/190C for about an hour.

Frost, or Icing, for Cakes.
340g Icing sugar
4 Egg whites
1/2 a lemon

• Whisk the 4 eggs whites to a strong froth.
  • Gradually stir in the sugar, whilst continuing to beat the mixture so it stays smooth.
  • Add the juice from the 1/2 lemon.
  • Smooth over the cakes when hot and then let them cool.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
It sounds like the recipe tells you to harden the icing in a moderately low oven, like meringue cookies. The "see that it is not hot enough to colour the icing" and the fact you put it on a hot cake looks like a clue to that. IF that is the case, the sugar for the icing probably isn't icing sugar, but superfine sugar instead. Maybe cut the recipe down to one egg white and try both of them?

Also: a lot of meringue cookie recipes have you heat the oven to a temperature, toss in the cookies, and then shut off the oven and leave them for a couple hours. Your recipe may be calling for you to put the icing onto the hot cake and then harden the icing in the cooling off oven.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I wonder if the "firm froth" is more of a "firm peaks" than what you might imagine a froth to be? I've made lovely light airy cakes by folding beaten egg whites into that kind of mixture, though I will say that I am not a reliable baker.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Amykinz posted:

It sounds like the recipe tells you to harden the icing in a moderately low oven, like meringue cookies. The "see that it is not hot enough to colour the icing" and the fact you put it on a hot cake looks like a clue to that. IF that is the case, the sugar for the icing probably isn't icing sugar, but superfine sugar instead. Maybe cut the recipe down to one egg white and try both of them?

Also: a lot of meringue cookie recipes have you heat the oven to a temperature, toss in the cookies, and then shut off the oven and leave them for a couple hours. Your recipe may be calling for you to put the icing onto the hot cake and then harden the icing in the cooling off oven.

Yeah taking a quick look a cool oven is 90C, so yeah meringue icing, blech. I may make my own icing, then again tesco seems to have superfine sugar for baking so I might be able to keep closer to the recipe.

Nicol Bolas posted:

I wonder if the "firm froth" is more of a "firm peaks" than what you might imagine a froth to be? I've made lovely light airy cakes by folding beaten egg whites into that kind of mixture, though I will say that I am not a reliable baker.

I'd imagined it to look like almost like meringue, I just liked the phrase firm froth. :shobon:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chat Thread title is relevant again. Penny Arcade recently announced a fourth annual PAX con: PAX South, to be held in... wait for it.... San Antonio, Texas.

This joins the already existing PAX Prime (Seattle), PAX East (Boston), and PAX Australia (Melbourne).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Berlin was good. So was the beer. I covered schewinshaxe, currywurst, döner and shitloads of crispy pork belly at a Chinese restaurant (rightly) famed for its grilled meat. I don't think I'm going to eat meat again for a while.