Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012
well the 400k AA miles i have just got a whole lot less useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sellouts posted:

Out of nowhere? No. Sudden? Absolutely. Most recently United gave a date months ahead to get your final redemptions in. Turning it off overnight is really surprising. I know at least one friend had a OWE award on hold. Not ticketed = tough luck. I couldn't help but laugh at the outrageous timing of this for him.

Oh yeah, it's definitely a lovely thing to do in terms of the communication process, but the devaluation was inevitable.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
This makes my intention to jump to AA at the end of the year less clear. I guess I'll hold out and hope they don't hit the earning side like Delta did.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Thoguh posted:

This makes my intention to jump to AA at the end of the year less clear. I guess I'll hold out and hope they don't hit the earning side like Delta did.

Could you elaborate on that? I was actually considering this as a final push to jump to Delta instead. Their hub is a 30 minute flight from here and has a lot more options to the eastern US for me. They'd especially give me better options if I get the job that requires more travel.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Thoguh posted:

It's absolutely going to happen. Count on it. AA is going to get decimated just like every other airline that has gone through a giant merger.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fryhtaning posted:

Could you elaborate on that? I was actually considering this as a final push to jump to Delta instead. Their hub is a 30 minute flight from here and has a lot more options to the eastern US for me. They'd especially give me better options if I get the job that requires more travel.

Delta is changing to miles being earned based on cost of the ticket instead of miles flown. And the cost of the ticket has to be +$.20 a mile in order to earn the same number of miles or more.

I buy a lot of last minute tickets but I live in a non hub city with competition between Delta, American, United, and low cost carriers. So airfares are generally reasonable and average around 10-12 cents per mile. So basically I'm having my miles earnings cut in half.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Thoguh posted:

Delta is changing to miles being earned based on cost of the ticket instead of miles flown. And the cost of the ticket has to be +$.20 a mile in order to earn the same number of miles or more.

I buy a lot of last minute tickets but I live in a non hub city with competition between Delta, American, United, and low cost carriers. So airfares are generally reasonable and average around 10-12 cents per mile. So basically I'm having my miles earnings cut in half.

There are truly no good US based business airlines left. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Belldandy posted:

I would love to watch the US airline industry die. gently caress them all.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Midjack posted:

I wouldn't because it would be very hard to get from place to place and none of the upstarts are any good either.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Belldandy posted:

Southwest?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I wouldn't because it would be very hard to get from place to place and none of the upstarts are any good either.

I liked JetBlue a lot, though I haven't flown on them in years. They're not a preferred vendor.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Virgin America's pretty good (outside of their rewards structure)

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

smackfu posted:

Southwest?

Southwest, JetBlue, AirTran, etc. I wouldn't classify as a good business airline as many of them lack hubs, intl. routes, and carrier partnerships.

EDIT: AND NO GODDAMNED UPGRADES :mad:

Midjack posted:

Agreed, even Air Canada is a step up. AIR CANADA, folks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

^^ yep if you don't do F and upgrades you cannot even be a pretender to the Business Airline throne

Ynglaur posted:

I liked JetBlue a lot, though I haven't flown on them in years. They're not a preferred vendor.

gently caress JetBlue. No Wifi and a bunch of moronic leisure travelers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Shadowhand00 posted:

Virgin America's pretty good (outside of their rewards structure)

They fly to all of 23 destinations. Not a business airline by any stretch of the imagination.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They fly to all of 23 destinations. Not a business airline by any stretch of the imagination.

B..b...but that's what they use in House of Lies!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's true. My idea of business flying is going back and forth between LA, Boston, and SF.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Belldandy posted:

Southwest, JetBlue, AirTran, etc. I wouldn't classify as a good business airline as many of them lack hubs, intl. routes, and carrier partnerships.
Oops, I actually thought it said airline businesses, not business airlines. Southwest is the former, not the latter.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm so happy that my business flying is largely cut and for what's left Virgin services 90%+ of it. Also stoked that precheck services all gates that Virgin uses to my destinations. And now I can just pay for upgrades.

Southwest is a joke from the west coast. I have yet to see it be remotely competitive from LAX no matter if the destination is SJC, DAL, or NYC area airports.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
JetBlue is pretty awesome because they give me free drinks in coach. I was doing a redeye from LAX to JFK and the people next to me were young and fun. I started ordering drinks and just kinda committed myself to the fact that it was going to be a $100+ dollar flight. We racked up a crazy tab and they let me go scott free. They just told me to highly review and recommend JetBlue whenever their name comes up. They bought my loyalty.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Flying is too cheap as it is.

If airlines would charge what it costs to run their planes, pay their people, and make a profit, rather than charge a pittance, cut every corner that won't crash a plane more than once or twice a decade, and then declare bankruptcy, then we would see less crowded airports and better service. Also we wouldn't fly unless it was really necessary, rather than for any bullshit reason that we do today.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Airlines are clearly the most efficient businesses and it's the fault of the consumer for paying what is asked of them to use their services. (I do feel for the pilots, at least at regionals because those are some poo poo contracts!)

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Midjack posted:

Flying is too cheap as it is.

If airlines would charge what it costs to run their planes, pay their people, and make a profit, rather than charge a pittance, cut every corner that won't crash a plane more than once or twice a decade, and then declare bankruptcy, then we would see less crowded airports and better service. Also we wouldn't fly unless it was really necessary, rather than for any bullshit reason that we do today.

And if the airports in the US raised their fees the US airports wouldn't need to be the worst of the developed world.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
God help me I have a long haul flight on Аэрофлот coming up.

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Apr 11, 2014

Snipeo
Mar 29, 2004
Happy Camper
Hi Guys - I'm based in London and my travelling normally sends me eastwards to Asia and the Middle East but I have a trip coming up that is sending me stateside (New York, Phoenix, probably elsewhere in the states). I have most of my miles with British Airways so I'll fly BA to get from London to New York and think I should probably stick with a OneWorld carrier whilst travelling around the US - can anyone recommend one? American Airlines seem to be the best / only choice - how are they? It's likely I'll be in economy so "upgrade chances" would be beneficial!

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Snipeo posted:

Hi Guys - I'm based in London and my travelling normally sends me eastwards to Asia and the Middle East but I have a trip coming up that is sending me stateside (New York, Phoenix, probably elsewhere in the states). I have most of my miles with British Airways so I'll fly BA to get from London to New York and think I should probably stick with a OneWorld carrier whilst travelling around the US - can anyone recommend one? American Airlines seem to be the best / only choice - how are they? It's likely I'll be in economy so "upgrade chances" would be beneficial!

American is likely your best bet, though out of JFK you'll have to change planes in ORD or DFW to get there. US Airways is also now an option, but there is still a plane change in PHL or CLT to get there. If you don't have to go to New York, consider flying BA to another AA hub (DFW, ORD, MIA) and go on from there.

That said, if you have BA status, your best bet at a better seat is on AA. You won't get upgrades to F, but you should be able to get exit rows or other better seats. sellouts probably knows for sure as he patronizes AA more than I do.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pissingintowind posted:

God help me I have a long haul flight on Аэрофлот coming up.

It's OK.

The flight time will be shorter than you're expecting.

:(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I have this sick fascination with Russia airplanes and would love to get a ride on a Tu-154M or an IL-96.

I think Aeroflot retired the 154 though :(

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have this sick fascination with Russia airplanes and would love to get a ride on a Tu-154M or an IL-96.

Air Koryo is full of retired Russian planes.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Trust me, you don't. I used to fly the "old" Aeroflot all the time when they had those poo poo planes + the Antonovs. It was uncommon to land with all engines fully functioning.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Mackieman posted:

Usually. You'll clear customs and immigration in Canada so you arrive at ORD as a domestic flight.

I'm still a bit nervous about that trip. I have 55 minutes in ORD to change, then an hour in IAH to switch to an international flight. It's all UA and the terminal at IAH looks pretty straightforward but... How likely am I to make it?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Look up on time stats for your flights or look on flightaware. That's the best way to tell

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

sellouts posted:

Look up on time stats for your flights or look on flightaware. That's the best way to tell

Looks like about 55% on-time for both the tight flights. Guess I'd better look into making some changes to earlier flights.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It depends on the average length of delay.

I'm not one to make changes proactively on hypothetical situations but that's just me. I've lost that game standing by trying to get ahead only to watch my new flight go mx and my original flight arrive first.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I agree, I think unless you are incredibly low probability (like 20 minute connection at CLT low), you just end up jacking yourself up for no good reason by trying to get out in front of potential issues.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I want to do this also. I was down in Malta not too long ago (which is an awful poo poo hole) and they had a bunch of weird Russian jets :(

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
What luggage bag is everyone using? I saw that this was on sale and was wondering whether it was worth it. I travel about twice-three times a year to Boston for work.

http://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Luggage-22-Inch-Expandable-Rollaboard/dp/B0089AXY7O

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Shadowhand00 posted:

What luggage bag is everyone using? I saw that this was on sale and was wondering whether it was worth it. I travel about twice-three times a year to Boston for work.

http://www.amazon.com/Travelpro-Luggage-22-Inch-Expandable-Rollaboard/dp/B0089AXY7O

First, my condolences for having to visit such an awful city so often. Second, TravelPro is very good and reasonably priced, and that looks like it will fit in an overhead. Plus, it has a suiter! I'd go for it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Shadowhand00 posted:

I've been using some version of this Swiss luggage for years now, and really like it. It fits in all but the smallest overheads, can hold a week's worth of clothing, and usually lasts 2-4 years of heavy travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Fuck Jesus and Fuck Shoes!!

Shadowhand00 posted:

I have the exact same one and it works perfectly. If I was going to get a new one I would go 20 or 21 inches instead of the max 22. Once you pack it full it can be dangerously close to not fitting in the airline luggage "sizers". Never had an issue actually putting it in an overhead bin though. Mine is still in almost new condition after 3 years and I fly 15-20 round-trips per year.