Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Count Bleck posted:

Probably the Nylea I forgot to mention :haw:

Strangely it seems like, after a quick search, there aren't any creatures that naturally have trample and deathtouch together (Cairns Wanderer doesn't count).

E: since it's the top of the page, I'll also add that I had a similar experience learning how the two keywords work together. Seems like an interesting "skill-tester" interaction that should exist on some core set card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

I'm glad that they gave us some sort of ending in the actual set this time. RtR block was a complete disaster in that regard: lots of buildup with no actual payoff, forcing you to read their (not very good, from what I've heard) novel if you want to know how the storyline ended.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
So someone can cast a counter even if the target spell is uncounterable? At least in paper magic? (I mostly play MTGO where I don't think the client would let you, because why would you?)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Loving Life Partner posted:

(I mostly play MTGO where I don't think the client would let you, because why would you?)

Draw a card off of Remand. :whatup:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

So someone can cast a counter even if the target spell is uncounterable? At least in paper magic? (I mostly play MTGO where I don't think the client would let you, because why would you?)

You can, the counterspell will resolve and everything but the countering itself, I think. Could be useful, if you need the other effect (like Discombobulate).

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

TheKingofSprings posted:

Draw a card off of Remand. :whatup:

Having an opponent remand your Emrakul with a sour look on their face is best.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Right, the ability isn't "can't be targeted by counterspells", so you can cast and aim a counterspell at it just fine. But when the counterspell resolves, "counter that spell" is overridden by "can't be countered" and that part of the resolution doesn't happen.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Count Bleck posted:

That sounds incredibly evil and I kind of want to make an EDH deck that does that.

Too bad Teferi isn't UW :getin:

He's in my Zedruu deck. I also have Possibility Storm as it does the same thing with Teferi out.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Good. It sounds like you did your playgroup a favor.

I mean I guess, if you want to be kind of a dick about it. It just soured me on the whole experience. Now I play Modern and enjoy it quite a lot. So it looks like everything worked out!

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Real Magic players suffer through boring and repetitive EDH combo playgroups and like it. :smug:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Comp REL trigger rules have had some feelbads. I won a match in a PTQ judge-scumming a missed Jace, AoT trigger. I would have won it anyway, but it wasn't clear until my next turn.

And this one hasn't happened to me but I'm sure someone got hosed at an M14 limited PTQ. "Claustrophobia your guy. Attack?"

"Block with my guy."

"He's tapped."

"You missed the trigger."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Back when Delver.dec was in vogue I had multiple people try to equip runepike on their phantasmal image. The best was when the image was copying my Phyrexian Obliterator so it wasn't a great idea even if it did work.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 17, 2014

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Kasonic posted:

Real Magic players suffer through boring and repetitive EDH combo playgroups and like it. :smug:

His suffering must be superior to my suffering.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

CODChimera posted:

Me and a mate are going to the Nyx pre-release and it'll be the first time either of us have played at Magic event. Hopefully we don't screw up too much.
Enjoy your first big Magic event.

1) You will screw up frequently......its a prerelease so most people will, just call the judge whenever you are unsure of something, or if something doesn't make sense that either you are reading or the opponent is doing. If something feels shady, call a judge.

2)Your sealed deck should be 40 cards.....no more. There will be lots of new things you want to run, but keep your deck down to a manageable 40 cards.

3)Play 17 land in your 40 card deck, no more, no less. As you play in more events you will get a better feel for whether you have built a hyper-fast aggro deck that can run 16 lands, or a plodding control deck that needs 18. However, until you have played in more events, stick with 17.

You may already know these things, but since it is prerelease season, I think a quick refresher for lurkers may be in order anyway.

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug
Also don't worry at all about screwing up. Pre-releases are the most chill of tournaments and if someone is acting like a jerk about how you're playing, rest assured that they're the rear end in a top hat, not you.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Back when Delver.dec was in vogue I had multiple people try to equip runepike on their phantasmal image. The best was when the image was copying my Phyrexian Obliterator so it wasn't a great idea even if it did work.

Make Runechanter's Pike a core set staple. That card ruled so hard. I bet I'm one of very few people to have swung Talrand in for commander lethal.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!

AlternateNu posted:

I had a guy swing a Polukranos and a Courser of Kruphix powered by a Domri Emblem into my lone Boros Reckoner while we were both at 5 life. He thought first strike and normal damage resolved before Reckoner's effect...

So you still died? I don't get it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

tgijsola posted:

Also don't worry at all about screwing up. Pre-releases are the most chill of tournaments and if someone is acting like a jerk about how you're playing, rest assured that they're the rear end in a top hat, not you.

I'm not allowed to be chilled at one of my LCS's Pre-releases

Because first place gets a box of the set coming out and I really want that.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Jimmy Jazz posted:

(5 + 2 = 7) - 3 = 4. If his opponent was at 3 he wins with 1 life.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Procrastinator posted:

And he said they were both at 5, so something doesn't add up.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

My worst rule feel bad happened to my friend last FNM.

His 12/12 polukranos with trample swings in with boros reckoner, opponents says "rebound the 12 dmg, gg", obviously this is incorrect but the judge (who is opponent's friend) who was busy and wasn't really paying attention passed it by without looking it up and took him out of top 3 for decent prizes. Afterwards the judge checked and apologized but the damage was done. When you know more than the L2 judge and I have been playing for a few months then you know that something is fishy here, sigh.

Jimmy Jazz
Dec 25, 2006
Police walked in for me; I wasn't there, 'cause I sure went fast!

Procrastinator posted:

Yeah but he said they were both at 5. Maybe they forgot domri emblem gives trample or something.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Jimmy Jazz posted:

Me either. Even if he had blocked Poluk with Boros, he would have only been able to redirect 3 of the damage during the first strike combat phase since the Domri Emblem gives the Poluk trample. So he would take 2 damage from Poluk and 2 from Courser during the first strike combat phase and then 5 from Poluk and 2 from Courser during the regular combat phase. If he blocks the Courser, he takes 5 damage from the Poluk during the first strike combat phase and then dies.

I don't see how he could have come out on top in that situation...

Edit - even if he redirects into the Poluk to kill it during the first strike phase, it is 2 from Poluk and 2 from Courser in first strike phase and then 2 from Courser in regular combat phase.

traslin fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 17, 2014

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jimmy Jazz posted:

It wasn't until afterwards that we both realized he still should've won. He thought (like I did) that Reckoner would bounce the full 5, but also thought that the bounce wouldn't resolve until the full attack was completed. It was a dual feel-bad because after explaining Reckoner's effect, I got the win completely forgetting that trample only assigns lethal damage.

Edit: I didn't make that clear enough.
tl;dr I'm really loving bad at Magic. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 17, 2014

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Toshimo posted:

Teferi-Pool is a rather well-known ~EDH Combo~ and the way you are trying to razzle-dazzle it out is the worse way posiible and begs your opponents to just counter your Knowledge Pool.

I run this combo in my Grand Arbiter deck. It is really nice when you get it out.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Samael posted:

My worst rule feel bad happened to my friend last FNM.

His 12/12 polukranos with trample swings in with boros reckoner, opponents says "rebound the 12 dmg, gg", obviously this is incorrect but the judge (who is opponent's friend) who was busy and wasn't really paying attention passed it by without looking it up and took him out of top 3 for decent prizes. Afterwards the judge checked and apologized but the damage was done. When you know more than the L2 judge and I have been playing for a few months then you know that something is fishy here, sigh.

This is incorrect because the trample damage applies first triggering the rebound but you've alraedy lost the game by that point before the damage trigger resolves?

Just checking, I'm relatively new at Magic :shobon:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This is incorrect because the trample damage applies first triggering the rebound but you've alraedy lost the game by that point before the damage trigger resolves?

Just checking, I'm relatively new at Magic :shobon:

No, his Reckoner can only rebound 3 damage because Polukranos does the rest to the Reckoner's owner, also combat damage should've resolved before the reckoner's ability goes on the stack.

Because that's how trample works: Any extra damage a creature with trample does to another creature is instead done to the player.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Oh right yeah, that's way more obvious. Durr.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I've made tons of rules mistakes. Most of them are just noobish stuff though, like using Abrupt Decay on a D-sphere before the Exile ability resolves.

Tardigrade posted:

Strangely it seems like, after a quick search, there aren't any creatures that naturally have trample and deathtouch together (Cairns Wanderer doesn't count).

E: since it's the top of the page, I'll also add that I had a similar experience learning how the two keywords work together. Seems like an interesting "skill-tester" interaction that should exist on some core set card.

I've died to a Deathtouch-Trample interaction and due to not realizing you can't just exile AEtherling after declaring blockers if the attacking creature has trample. I guess that's learning.

I assure you the client will allow you to. It just won't work. I know because I once absentmindedly attempted to Gainsay a Supreme Verdict. I just lost the Gainsay along with the board wipe.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 17, 2014

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Madmarker posted:

Enjoy your first big Magic event.

1) You will screw up frequently......its a prerelease so most people will, just call the judge whenever you are unsure of something, or if something doesn't make sense that either you are reading or the opponent is doing. If something feels shady, call a judge.

2)Your sealed deck should be 40 cards.....no more. There will be lots of new things you want to run, but keep your deck down to a manageable 40 cards.

3)Play 17 land in your 40 card deck, no more, no less. As you play in more events you will get a better feel for whether you have built a hyper-fast aggro deck that can run 16 lands, or a plodding control deck that needs 18. However, until you have played in more events, stick with 17.

You may already know these things, but since it is prerelease season, I think a quick refresher for lurkers may be in order anyway.

Thanks, that's really helpful to know. We're going to practice making and using 40 card decks next week. At the very least it's a good excuse to buy some boosters.

I think I'll go for the blue prerelease pack. Love the Kraken artwork, but the Doomwake Giant looks great as well...

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Yeah my bad, I missed the 'both'.

traslin posted:

Edit - even if he redirects into the Poluk to kill it during the first strike phase, it is 2 from Poluk and 2 from Courser in first strike phase and then 2 from Courser in regular combat phase.

Domri emblem gives hexproof, so even that isn't close to an out.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

haha, the :qq: in this article's comments section is amazing.
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/28312_Meet-The-Gods-Of-Nyx.html

quote:

Kruphix, God of Horizons
Jim Davis
0th Place at Test deck on 4/17/2014

Creatures (8)
4 Prophet of Kruphix
4 Kruphix, God of Horizons

Lands (52)
22 Forest
22 Island
4 Breeding Pool
4 Temple of Mystery

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
So Eidolon of Rhetoric + Possibility Storm is a hard lock assuming no removal that turn for either?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Anyone want to help me make a Eidolon of Rhetoric + Possibility Storm american control style type deck? I want to see if I can troll people at FNM after journey to nyx comes out.

Edit: Korak, e:fb

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Korak posted:

So Eidolon of Rhetoric + Possibility Storm is a hard lock assuming no removal that turn for either?

It is a hard lock, but it's also symmetrical. :downs:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

There is actually a relevant reason to do this in Standard, as Plasm Capture still gives you the mana from the spell even if it can't be countered. Plasm Capture a Supreme Verdict and cast a t5 Aetherling with the ability to protect itself.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

It is a hard lock, but it's also symmetrical. :downs:

Keranos + that combo = watch as you slowly bolt them to death?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Samael posted:

Keranos + that combo = watch as you slowly bolt them to death?

Sounds like more janky patriot dickery.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Samael posted:

Anyone want to help me make a Eidolon of Rhetoric + Possibility Storm american control style type deck? I want to see if I can troll people at FNM after journey to nyx comes out.

Edit: Korak, e:fb
See, great minds think alike. :D

Think keeping it simple W/R Control with 4 mutavaults and some boros keyrunes that can also help end the game or mana ramp. Any splashes should be for removal more than card draw. Keranos sounds awesome but I think I'd want to have the Combo set up asap.

Korak fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AnacondaHL posted:

haha, the :qq: in this article's comments section is amazing.
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/28312_Meet-The-Gods-Of-Nyx.html

"Boo hoo hoo all these gods suck and I have one dimensional ways of evaluating cards."

• Locked thread