Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sabs
Jan 19, 2005
Cute Marmot
Does anyone here have experience with Ortega brand ukes?

I'm looking into the RLizard line:
http://ortegaguitars.com/produktfinder/ukulelen/ukulele/show/Product/rlizard-so/rlizard-so/
I've gotten to try out the soprano and liked it, but I am debating on whether I want a concert size (which isn't available at the local store). I'd appreciate any feedback!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Sabs posted:

Does anyone here have experience with Ortega brand ukes?

I'm looking into the RLizard line:
http://ortegaguitars.com/produktfinder/ukulelen/ukulele/show/Product/rlizard-so/rlizard-so/
I've gotten to try out the soprano and liked it, but I am debating on whether I want a concert size (which isn't available at the local store). I'd appreciate any feedback!

I'm not seeing a ton about them online, which is not absolutely bad, but it does make it hard to puzzle some things out. The inlay is cute, but my concern would be that it seems a bit pricey for what it is. Since they don't specify "hard case" I'm assuming they mean soft case, the back and top are dao wood which is apparently becoming popular, but the sides are ply. Ply sides aren't terrible or anything, just one expects a price break for that cost-saving measure. Electrification does add some cost, so you've thought it out and electrification is something you're requiring?

I ask because I mostly see them compared with brands like Anunue on UU, but there are serious uke stores in Europe selling non-electric Anunues, Lanikai, Kala, etc. in full solid wood but without electrification for like way less than 400 euro.

For example, http://www.mercatinodellukulele.it is UU recommended and appears to be a serious uke store, and they have a number of concert ukes of decent brand, some all-solid and some part-solid with cool visuals, for under E200 acoustic (link to section). An amplified Ohana with a solid top is E190, etc. A lot of their models are free shipping in Europe too. Models like the electrified Anunue Papa II (a model some UU threads directly compare the rlizard too) is E241, so that's 33% less money for a recognized good brand.

I'd be somewhat hesitant to get a uke that doesn't have a body of enthusiastic reviews on UU or similar forums, particularly since the price point seems a bit high. Also there's some advantage buying from a uke-specific store that properly QCs their gear and takes ukes seriously.

Fundamentally, "the proof of the pudding is the tasting", so if the rlizard just grabs your attention like no other I can't contradict that, but I'd take a hard look at serious Euro uke shops that seem to have better prices and selection on more-recognised brands.

After Christmas I'm going to sell off some more spare music gear in a process of consolidating, and I'm fixing to put some of the funds in getting a moderate-quality (~$500ish) solid wood concert uke, so I should have some fun gouge to share after the holidays.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

furushotakeru posted:

I figure this thread might be a good place to pass this story along since most people I know won't care:

My step-dad's mother passed away a few weeks ago. While he and his sisters were sorting through her stuff they were trying to foist pass out stuff to different people in an effort to spread her various collections around. Not knowing that I had recently started messing around with ukes, they offhandedly asked me if I wanted an old uke that grandma had. They said the bridge was broken, so I said I would take it and see if it could be salvaged to give to my 4 year old to play with since we had been talking about trying to find a cheap one for her anyway.

Last Thursday it gets delivered to me (along with a few other unplanned inherited knick-knacks). I pull it out and discover it is a (as best as I can tell) late 70's Kamaka standard. It is white label but not date-stamped. It also had a piece of tape inside with my step-dad's brother's name and address in it, and he died in the early 80's so it is at least that old.

I immediately called my local uke shop to see about getting the bridge fixed, and he points me to a local luthier (I didn't even know we had one of these) who happens to be about four blocks from my house. Long story short, $143 in repairs later (including re-leveling some frets and new strings), I now have a very nice (literally heirloom) uke that my daughter is going nowhere near for the foreseeable future!

Finally remembered to a) take some pictures of the uke, and b) post them:

The discoloration on the label is from the piece of masking tape that had the previous owner's name and contact info. He's dead, so although I would have liked to leave the tape there out of respect, I can't have someone potentially trying to return the instrument to him if I misplace it - thus I had to remove it.

Whole instrument in one shot

Old school tuning pegs

The infamous "KK" logo that first tipped me off as to what I was looking at (since the aforementioned tape covered the Kamaka Ukulele logo on the white label inside the sound hole)

You can see a little bit of scarring from where the bridge tore off and was later re-glued by the luthier. I just view that as part of the instrument's character, especially since I can't really sell it even if I wanted to since it is now an heirloom.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
That's a drat awesome Kamaka, now you just have to figure out what to play on it!

For those mid-level fingerpickers, I recently ran across another source of Ren/Baroque arrangements. There's an amateur arranger name of Jamie Holding who has a site http://www.classicalukulele.co.uk/ where he sells online books of largely English lute music and continental Baroque gitar arranged for uke. I ran across him since I was looking for uke arrangements of the lutanist John Dowland.

(I'm not clear if this is Dowland or not, but best I could find on gImages)

They're pretty inexpensive, a few pounds each, and he has a number of them and some supporting YouTube clips, so worth checking out.

Here's a separate musician playing a Dowland piece on uke, Lachrimae Pavan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scbY0toLxy0

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Heads up: there's a decent-looking uke on sale for MF's Stupid Deal of the Day today.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acoustic-ukuleles/lanikai-lu-series-lu-21tek-tenor-acoustic-electric-ukulele-with-fishman-kula-electronics

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
Apologies if this has already been asked, but I'm looking for a good beginner How to Play Uke type book. However, I'm not really looking for a songbook-more about technique, like basic strumming, right hand/left hand techniques, finger picking, styles, etc. any suggestions or recommendations?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

wodan22 posted:

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I'm looking for a good beginner How to Play Uke type book. However, I'm not really looking for a songbook-more about technique, like basic strumming, right hand/left hand techniques, finger picking, styles, etc. any suggestions or recommendations?

Download the free e-book from https://www.ukuleletricks.com. It's awesome.

Agricola Frigidus
Feb 7, 2010
I was convinced before I needed to learn a portable musical instrument (which a piano isn't) to accompany improv; this thread convinced me a ukulele was a good choice. And it's incredibly fun.

I bought a uke from the Hawaii Music Supply, and had it shipped to Europe. It's great, but I paid more in customs and shipping costs than the ukulele itself cost. So - can anyone point me to a ukulele shop within the Shengen zone that also does the full setup?

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER
I picked up a cheap ukulele at a consignment shop that's missing an A string. It's soprano, obviously a souvenir from Hawaii but still appears to be sturdily built. The tuning pegs hold in place. What kind of strings should I be getting for a cheaper uke? I saw Kona black strings online but I know those Kona ukuleles are pretty poo poo.
It has a higher pitched sound than my Lanikai but I don't know if it's because of the current strings (and their lack of use- they need to be stretched, I'm guessing it was played once or twice before the string snapped) or because of the smaller body.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Are there any youtube channels (of other form of free video course) for learning to play? I kind of half-jokingly asked for a ukelele for Christmas, and I actually got one (thanks for trying to buy my affection, brother who I never see), and now I have no idea what to do with it.

onecooldana
Jan 29, 2006

BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH
SEND 'EM A MESSAGE
BLAH BLAH BLAH

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Are there any youtube channels (of other form of free video course) for learning to play? I kind of half-jokingly asked for a ukelele for Christmas, and I actually got one (thanks for trying to buy my affection, brother who I never see), and now I have no idea what to do with it.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/ is a great resource, even at the free level

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Agricola Frigidus posted:

I was convinced before I needed to learn a portable musical instrument (which a piano isn't) to accompany improv; this thread convinced me a ukulele was a good choice. And it's incredibly fun.

I bought a uke from the Hawaii Music Supply, and had it shipped to Europe. It's great, but I paid more in customs and shipping costs than the ukulele itself cost. So - can anyone point me to a ukulele shop within the Shengen zone that also does the full setup?

Well you have already bought the instrument, but the cavaquinho (a small Portuguese 4 string guitar) is one of the 'fathers' of the ukelele (I was going to recommend you just buy one of those before I re-read the post). So there should be some commonality there? More of a guess really than anything else but if you are able to find shops which deal in cavaquinhos they may at least have a bit more of a specific idea of what you may need. Cavaquinhos are not that uncommon (and certainly more common than a ukelele, in Europe at least).

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
My ukulele has a noticeable buzz coming from the base of the instrument when strumming, particularly if I'm fretting the first or second fret on C or E strings. I'm new to this and at a complete loss to diagnose it, am I just playing poorly? or is there something wrong?

onecooldana
Jan 29, 2006

BLAH BLAH BLAH
BLAH BLAH BLAH
SEND 'EM A MESSAGE
BLAH BLAH BLAH
There's a lot of things that can cause buzz. The times I've seen it were from improper fretting (pressing too far behind the fret), hitting a vibrating string lightly while playing, or improper action. Did you get your ukulele set up when you purchased it?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

onecooldana posted:

There's a lot of things that can cause buzz. The times I've seen it were from improper fretting (pressing too far behind the fret), hitting a vibrating string lightly while playing, or improper action. Did you get your ukulele set up when you purchased it?

No :/ I got it off the internet - it's a Kala Uke (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TLINSA/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - bought it back in 2011) I did have two friends who play Ukes at open mics/festivals look at it and they thought it was fine when I got it. Should I be seeking out a guitar shop or something?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Agricola Frigidus posted:

On UU I've seen folks recommend http://www.mercatinodellukulele.it they seem to have some cool stuff at quite reasonable prices. Both France and Germany seem to have some serious uke shops too, but I'm less familiar with them.

quote:

Well you have already bought the instrument, but the cavaquinho (a small Portuguese 4 string guitar) is one of the 'fathers' of the ukelele (I was going to recommend you just buy one of those before I re-read the post). So there should be some commonality there?

While this could be an option, a lot of cavaquinhos these days have steel strings. Not that that's bad, but it's a bit different in feel and sound than uke, even though it can probably be tuned and played the same way.

Portugal and Spain both have a plethora of small guitar and uke-like instruments (largely echoed in Latin America). There are too many to list here, but if you check out Atlas of Plucked Instruments for both the Portugal/Spain sections, and the Central and South American sections, you'll see scads of uke-cousins: http://www.atlasofpluckedinstruments.com/europe.htm#portugal

If any of you Eurogoons is on holidays in Spain, especially in the south, or in Portugal it may do no harm to drop into a music shop now and then. In southern Spain, the guitarro (vice the guitarra which is our classical guitar) is small and four nylon strings, and the timple (native to the Canarias but sold elsewhere in Spain too) has a fifth string at the top end, but apparently with the popularity of uke a lot of people just buy a timple and leave off the high string to make it a uke. When I was in southern mainland Spain a few years back I picked up a pair for like US$100 each in like Malaga or thereabouts. Portugal has many uke relatives, though apparently a lot of them evolved to use steel strings over time, but not all, and the steel string ones can be a cool alternative anyway.

quote:

There are simply scads, your trouble is just trying to figure out which ones you like best.

I am a [i]big
fan of the "just three chords" concept. You can play huge swathes of US/UK music using just three chords, and yet more if you toss a minor chord in there. Without exaggeration I would say you could know literally only four chords on uke your entire life and still be able to play enough songs that the average person would never notice how limited your skills are.

One of the more-(re)viewed teachers is this Limey fella, The Ukulele Teacher. Here's his first clip on how to play the three most basic chords: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZIV-1WJXYs

Ukulele Underground has many clips at all levels, but their "Ukulele in 5 Minutes" is a pretty good and brief intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad4MpwnZFdY

Uke can be extremely easy to learn the basics on, so just stay cool and unstressed, and just watch instructional videos a while, let it flow over you, zero in on the ones you like and work to follow along. If you have a smartphone, get a free tuning app that can listen to you play a note and tell you if it's in tune. If not, there are tuners online that will play you a note for you to match your uke to.

Awesome present, I hope you're stoked for it.

quote:

No :/ I got it off the internet - it's a Kala Uke (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - bought it back in 2011) I did have two friends who play Ukes at open mics/festivals look at it and they thought it was fine when I got it. Should I be seeking out a guitar shop or something?

While that is an option, we should eliminate other basic possibilities first.

Thanks for giving a good specific description. If you can feel around the first seven frets or so of each string and make sure you can narrow down exactly where the buzz it, that'd help. And as the other poster noted, make sure you're pressing firmly (not stressing your hand, just nice and solid) and pressing just a little bit head-wards of the fret. Not right on top of it, but not with more than a few fingernails' worth of gap between your flesh and the brass fret.

From what you describe, my first thought would be to wonder whether your third fret is high and/or bowed. I had a friend whose uke had a fret (let's say the 3rd) was so high that when you fretted the 2d fret you'd get the note for the 3d fret instead. I scoped out the neck from the side and saw that the fret slot wasn't cut deep enough, so the fret was visibly sticking higher than the others. We gently pried it out, deepened the slot slightly with a blade, pressed the fret back in, and all good. Check to see if it's visibly high, maybe grab a ruler and lay the blade against the neck long-ways and see if it can "rock" back and forth on any proud fret.

Check that and see if anything jumps out at you, otherwise post back with anything you discover. Unless it's a reasonably-pricey uke (like over $100) it may not be too cost effective to have a luthier spend time on it, so best to try fixing it at home with some advice from strangers online.

If you like being handy, you may as well do a whole "ukulele setup" for yourself. Here's one set of clips on how to do it: http://uke4u.com/how-to-do-a-ukulele-setup-tutorial/ . And there are plenty more various places online; again all props to the sadly late Music Guy Mic who made "setup" a household term in the ukulele world, and showed folks that even cheapies benefit greatly from QC.

quote:

I picked up a cheap ukulele at a consignment shop that's missing an A string. It's soprano, obviously a souvenir from Hawaii but still appears to be sturdily built. The tuning pegs hold in place. What kind of strings should I be getting for a cheaper uke? I saw Kona black strings online but I know those Kona ukuleles are pretty poo poo.
It has a higher pitched sound than my Lanikai but I don't know if it's because of the current strings (and their lack of use- they need to be stretched, I'm guessing it was played once or twice before the string snapped) or because of the smaller body.

Literally higher pitched, or just a brighter tone? Any uke of soprano, concert, or tenor size is tuned at the same pitch, just has a different "voice" at the pitch (tinnier, mellower, etc). So far as strings for a cheapie, literally any string of a recognized brand-name will be better than the stock generics used on cheapie ukes. Aquila and Worth are popular mainstream brands, and you can get those for as low as $5 shipped on eBay (make sure you're buying a packet, not the even cheaper individual strings). Also, especially where the string snapped, scope out the slots in nut and bridge and make sure there isn't a sharp bit. Maybe take either a piece of sandpaper, or [i]very
gently with the metal nailfile on some nailclippers, rub in and around the slot ever so slightly to see if there's a rough burr you can smooth down. Don't saw away at it, you don't want to change the slot, just check it for rough bits.

But definitely, get new strings, ensuring you've identified whether your cheapie is soprano/concert/uke (90% likely soprano) by neck length, and get a fresh packet of strings. As you've noted, fresh strings will take a few days to settle in, so keep the uke handy and just whenever it occurs to you, even from one hour to the next, just pick it up for 30 seconds and bring the strings up to pitch.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 8, 2014

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
So I just got a set of Aquila Nylgut low G strings for my Ashton concert uke - and I'm really loving them. The low G tuning is making picking easier down low, & I'm loving the extra depth & bass I'm hearing. Of course, I've lost the bright happy sound of the high G tuning, but I'll just have to get a new soprano to make up for that, now won't I? :D

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Story time!

Back in 1980, my father lived in Hawaii, on Oahu, I believe. There, he became friends with a guy named Seau, who was an accomplished ukulele player. When my father moved on, Seau gave him a ukulele. My father, being completely unmusical, apparently tried to learn it and was bad (read: he never practiced or learned that you need to do things like 'tune the uke'), but after I was born it got thrown into a closet, only coming out when we moved. Well, a few years ago I'd been going through some of my old things on a visit and the uke had gotten stuffed in there. After a few years of badgering him for it, on my last visit I finally got the drat thing. I took it into a luthier to fix a crack in the back, but now I have a well-worn Kamaka (I'll get pictures when I get a chance, my cat chewed up the camera-PC cable)! Sounds amazing, is extremely tiny, and is awesome to strum around. It's so much nicer to just sit on the couch with a cup of tea and dick around than with my heavy-as-gently caress electric guitar. Also, I can do it at midnight and neighbors won't get pissed :v:.

Two questions: does anyone have any fingerpicking advice? I've wanted to learn fingerpicking on the guitar but because of laziness and habit I never did, but since this instrument is so much easier to play, I want to learn. Second, is there any way to determine the age of a Kamaka? All I know is that it was clearly not new when my father got it, and it doesn't seem to have a date or serial number or anything on it?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Second, is there any way to determine the age of a Kamaka? All I know is that it was clearly not new when my father got it, and it doesn't seem to have a date or serial number or anything on it?

The type of label inside the soundhole is the first method of narrowing down the date. Is it white or gold?

Rather, let's get it straight from the Kamaka website FAQ:

quote:

Dating Your Uke
Kamaka ukuleles have been made since 1916, so if you are fortunate enough to have inherited an older model, you may be curious about when it was made. From 1916 to 1975, date stamping was used on the interiors of the instruments. And beginning in 1999, Kamaka Hawaii began using serial numbers. But if numbers have worn off, or for the period from 1975 to 1999, you will need to look for other clues to determine when your Kamaka uke was made.

As a reference, please visit the Historic Kamaka Ukes Gallery for examples of early Kamaka ukuleles from the family's private collection.

In dating Kamaka ukuleles, the headstock decal and the interior label are significant. The trademark "double K" decal was used on Kamaka ukuleles beginning in 1954. This decal was used in conjunction with an interior gold label bearing the words "Kamaka Ukulele" in red and black lettering that matched the font of the decal. This combination of decal and label was used until 1969.

In 1969, the gold label was replaced by a smaller interior label with a white background and the same trademark red and black lettering. However, the same double K headstock decal remained in use. From 1978 to 2000, a "Samuel Kamaka, Luthier" label was also applied to the custom ukuleles.

A new, more regal label was designed to celebrate the 85th anniversary of the company. This interior label has been in use since January 1, 2001. It features the signatures of Sam Jr. and Fred Sr., a purple cape behind an updated double K trademark, and the words "Kamaka Ukulele" in vermillion with gold outlining. A matching "Samuel Kamaka, Luthier" label is also used when applicable. 2001 also marked a change from the traditional double K decal to a pearl-inlaid double K design on all headstocks.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

The Orange Mage posted:

The type of label inside the soundhole is the first method of narrowing down the date. Is it white or gold?

Rather, let's get it straight from the Kamaka website FAQ:
White. No date I can see, so somewhere between 1975-1980.

That was easy. Thanks!

EDIT: Aaand I found fingerpicking stuff on the last page, that's nice.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 9, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Here's a cute cartoon from the earliest stages of the Mainland ukulele craze:

*click for big*

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.
My wife bought me a Ukulele for Christmas!
I've been learning on the sites mentioned in the thread and I think its going pretty well. I like that even when you do something wrong it doesn't sound horrible like say a mandolin.
I do have a question though: What is the proper maintenance/care for a uke? I've never had a stringed instrument before, so I don't have any idea. Do I need a humidifier or something?

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Angra Mainyu posted:

I do have a question though: What is the proper maintenance/care for a uke? I've never had a stringed instrument before, so I don't have any idea. Do I need a humidifier or something?

Just protect it from extreme temperatures and wipe it down with a soft cloth after each time you play. You only have to worry about humidity if your uke is made of wood.

Video showing how to make a humidifier out of floral foam and a Pez dispenser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3REUyKL60U

If your home is too humid (not likely, but it could happen), toss a silica gel packet into the uke case.

I bought a cheap uke from Amazon in November. It's been great so far; however, as I learned more chords, I discovered that the g and C strings are completely out of tune (40-50% too high) on the first and second frets. Since it's only those two strings on those two frets, I figured those two notches in the nut are too shallow. I've been working on the problem with a razor blade and a small file. It's easy, but the process-- loosen the string, move it to one side, carve the notch a little deeper, put the string back, tune, test, repeat-- is time-consuming.

tartare
Mar 24, 2004
Hey guys - recently got into uke with a Lanakai. I have a ton of guitars, but only that uke. Any recommendations for a uke that is very nice, but with a high Quality/Price Ratio?

For more context, I have saved up for a nice Martin HD28 and a nice Lowden jumbo for my main acoustics guitars, so the top end isn't below $1000, but I am looking for advice on what amount of money will buy me the best Uke without me paying for bindings and other things that aren't necessarily about sound.

For nice acoustics, I find this to be in the $1200-3000 range, depending on what you look at. I also am looking for a traditional sounding uke, but something that has some versatility. I've played a couple martins and kamakas, but before I was ready to take the plunge. I'm not committed to spending money for the same of it, but I'm also looking for the "one" uke that will tide me over since I don't anticipate buying multiple high end ukes.

Thanks for any advice.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

I'm having the same problem. I am eyeballing a mahogany Nalu tenor for about $350 that sounded pretty nice but part of me thinks I should keep saving for a while longer and get a nice $1200 Kamaka or KoAloha. I would love me some instant gratification but have a feeling I'll eventually end up buying a high end one either way so why not just buy one uke instead of two, you know?

tartare
Mar 24, 2004
Exactly - hoping someone in the thread is the same as me with guitars. If you wanted acoustic guitar buying advice, I have it, but I'm stumbling through the dark on ukulele.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I think it's best not to over think it if you're coming from guitar to ukulele.

If you know open chord shapes on the guitar you can relate the major uke chords in the keys of C and G back to those shapes very easily. I just went to the store knowing how to fret G, C and D on the ukelele, enough to play 12 bar blues. Tried everything from expensive ukes with pickups down to $30 toys. There was ukes made of violin wood, Maton ukes, all sorts of poo poo. Walked out of there with $200 Ohana that felt very natural to play and sounded great. If you've invested the time in learning to play guitar just have some confidence in your ears and what feels right in your hands.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Easiest thing is to not worry about what the chord is called and pretend that the uke is just the four high strings on the guitar. The cord shapes will be the same.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Picked up a Kanile'a custom super tenor (like a regular tenor but with junk in the trunk) last night. I haven't taken any pics of it yet so I just have the ones from the online ad:

I got back late last night so I only got to play with it for about 30 minutes, but I think I'm in love :3

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
That's a sexy uke.

In my uke adventures, just got down most of "Norwegian Wood." Fun song to play, very easy, and instantly recognizable. Sounds pretty good on uke, even a reentrant-tuned one (the melody, as you might figure out, is descending, and without a low-E you have to muck with the melody a bit). Working on a small repertoire of fun songs for parties and chilling around town. A lot more fun than carrying around a big ol' acoustic guitar, and nobody gives a gently caress if you gently caress up.

Also, I can't really sing, so simple songs everyone knows is helpful.

EDIT: Holy poo poo I just discovered an amazing way to play the song (play it transposed in C, by the way). It's way more complex than my current way. If you play the melody with your ring finger on the C at all times, you can hit all the other notes with the rest of your fingers while strumming, and you'll never strum a chord without a C root until the right time, when you'll hit an F and an A#add9...which are the appropriate chords :v:

EDIT #2: I should have known that it's called chord soloing :downs:.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 6, 2014

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
My first uke, A Kala KA-TEM, is having some buzzing issues on the second and now third, but only when unfretted. I don't humidify this uke because it's laminate. Are the strings just old? Nothing else has changed...it just developed a buzz on day and then the other string joined a few weeks later. It's my uke that sits out so I can just grab it whenever.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just bought Classical Melodies from Beginners from James Holding (the uke arranger Tap linked to). He uses high-G tuning, which makes sense. Should I buy a new G string for my uke, or can I tune the existing low G to high G without snapping it?

(Btw, Tap, I haven't forgotten that I owe you a Peruvian Harp post. Sorry for the extended delay.)

RasputinsGhost
Mar 22, 2005
Russia's Greatest Spectral Love Machine

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just bought Classical Melodies from Beginners from James Holding (the uke arranger Tap linked to). He uses high-G tuning, which makes sense. Should I buy a new G string for my uke, or can I tune the existing low G to high G without snapping it?

(Btw, Tap, I haven't forgotten that I owe you a Peruvian Harp post. Sorry for the extended delay.)

Buy a new G string. If you tune the Low G to a High G it'll snap.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Just got the promo email from Outdoor Ukulele (the guys who had the Kickstarter to fund casting resin ukuleles). They have a new model they're trying to crowdsource:

Tenor model; offerings so far are "black" and "natural". It appears they have addressed a few preferences folks stated after their initial soprano, so this model comes with separate-piece nut and saddle to make it easier to adjust the action, and has gearer tuners.

Personally, I actually prefer the original straight-friction (not even screw-adjustable) tuners their soprano had, but I think most uke players are so unused to that style of tuner that they didn't know how to use them right, and whined that there was some problem with the tuners. If I order one, I'll ask if they can do it with the same friction tuners as on the original soprano, since that would make it more durable and weatherproof to not have exposed steel gears and screws.

I wasn't 100% enchanted with their soprano, since the action wasn't amazing (and hard to adjust) and the neck profile was rather clunky, but the price is really reasonable and the durability outstanding. So while I wouldn't recommend their soprano as just a regular household uke, I think it's a great camping uke, carrying around the city uke (I've put a lot of damage on a cheap wooden uke carrying it around DC in my hand and bumping into tables/doors/bannisters), etc. Dammit, I keep meaning to finally try playing my plastic soprano uke in the bathtub...

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
When you guys restring your ukes, how many windings do you aim for on the two highest strings? When I restring a guitar, I aim for two to four, but I don't know if it makes a difference for ukes (or guitars for that matter, it's just what I learned).

This is a baritone uke. I did two windings on the D string when I replaced it several months back and that's worked fine, but I noticed the two B and E strings are wound so much you can't see the sides of the knob at all.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Could someone help me with the chords of this song? I'd really appreciate it. My sister and her son (7) have taken up the ukulele, and they'd like to play this song for their babysitter. Thanks very much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njvulx5N_qE

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.
I think the chords are C G Am F. Strumming pattern D-DU-UD- or D-DU-UDU. Good luck and have fun!

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

kwokkie posted:

I think the chords are C G Am F. Strumming pattern D-DU-UD- or D-DU-UDU. Good luck and have fun!

Aka that loving Jason Mraz song.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

socketwrencher posted:

Could someone help me with the chords of this song? I'd really appreciate it. My sister and her son (7) have taken up the ukulele, and they'd like to play this song for their babysitter. Thanks very much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njvulx5N_qE

tl;dr: to learn to play your Japanese alphabet song, just watch any of the dozens of YouTube tutorials of Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours" and just do the same thing at a slightly different rhythm.

Fortunately these chords are extremely easy/common chords, and the whole song is just the same four chords in the same progression (unless I missed something when I skipped ahead).

It's just the following over and over: C, G, Am, F

In theory terms, it's a basic I-V-vi-iV progression. With just these four chords (or any corresponding four in whatever key) you can play huge, huge swathes of popular music. In many cases in this exact same order, otherwise minor variants like I-vi-IV-V.

Off the top of my head, a reasonably-recent popular uke hit with this progression is Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours". Here's a tutorial clip with the fingering diagram and everything for the Mraz, and this same thing at a different rhythm works for that Japanese alphabet song of yours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VyPSzbe_x0

For the band I'm in we've been toying with the idea of doing a mini-set of 1950s/1960s tunes on ukulele, playing just a verse or two each of a dozen+ songs that all use the same chord settup. Like with C-Am-F-G you can do "Earth Angel", "Teenager in Love", "Last Kiss", etc. And if we flex it a bit and allow other songs with the same chords but slightly different order, then that's pretty much 90% of the Top 40 hits of that entire era.

This is kind of a niche popular gimmick on YouTube, playing dozens of song snippets back to back using the same chords.

- Here's a guy on uke doing 7 pop songs with the same chords (C, G, Am, F): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsIwdWVNnHU
- Here's Axis of Awesome doing scores of 80s/90s/00s songs with four chords: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ
- RipTard has, across several different clips, 100+ songs all just using the same four chords. Note due to transposition guitarists tend to think of G, D, Em, C as being the "four easiest chords" vice the uke C-G-Am-F. Unsuprisingly, these two progressions use the same fingerings, just the uke version comes out higher pitched due to uke tuning.

If any of the above seems even slightly complicated, it's just because it's tricky to explain music in writing, but if you watch a few clips of these things, it's pretty clear. Without exaggeration, knowing just four different hand gestures on uke can let you play literally thousands and thousands of songs. Learning any additional chord fingerings just lets you do the same things in a wider range of keys, and covers you for the, I dunno, 20% of Anglo-American modern popular music that has anything more complex than those four chords. Even just three chords will cover you for about 75% as much music as four chords covers you for.

e;fb: that's what I get for composing an essay instead of posting fast and editing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
vi-IV-I-V comes up everywhere. Especially in the key of G. i.e. bridge of 'Aeroplane Over the Sea', 'Upward Over the Mountain' by Iron and Wine, 'If I Were A Boy' by Beyonce (flattened a semitone).

• Locked thread