Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah Brotherhood had the double advantage of being able to blow through the content covered in the first half of the original anime at breakneck speed and also knowing where the end point was on the manga so the pacing is able to be managed properly post that.
Yeah, it was a weird feeling once I realized there was a whole season that Netflix didn't have, because...

(1) Goddamn it Netflix I want to watch this show and now I need to do it elsewhere.
(2) Oh thank christ they're not going to try and squish this much closure into the last 2 episodes.

It was goddamn awesome, but now I'm looking for more anime that is both not lovely and minimally creepy about women.

But gaming news - I'm still running the Zeitgeist adventure path and it continues to impress, but man running murder investigations is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Go for Baccano, Baccano is the best.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Aside from the main character being a strong cyborg woman who don't need no pants, I can't recommend Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex enough. It's pretty much a cyberpunk police procedural. :iia:

On a tabletop gaming note, augh, I got sucked into miniature wargaming again. Goodbye, dreams of disposable income.

Edit: If I edit it in later, it's not emptyquoting.

Mors Rattus posted:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Siivola posted:

Aside from the main character being a strong cyborg woman who don't need no pants, I can't recommend Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex enough. It's pretty much a cyberpunk police procedural. :iia:

This. Both seasons of SAC should be watched.

Also, Cowboy Bebop, although I'm not sure Faye counts as "minimally creepy about women." Also also, Log Horizon, but that's more recent and therefore harder to find.

e; vvv

ProfessorProf posted:

If you want an anime that actually respects women, you should probably avoid Log Horizon.

It's okay until the last 3-4 episodes turn it into creepy harem animé, although it's not like there are very many female characters in the first place.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 17, 2014

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Every episode of Log Horizon is free on Crunchyroll.

I recommend Mushishi for anybody doing a horror or fantasy game without an established setting, it's got a good mix of "the world is beautiful" and "the world is terrifying".

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
If you want an anime that actually respects women, you should probably avoid Log Horizon.

On actual forum topic: I've basically never bought a published adventure module and run it straight. Is doing this ever a good, worthwhile idea? Are there any pre-packaged dungeons that work great right out of the box?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This. Both seasons of SAC should be watched.

Also the Major starts wearing pants in the second season, so there's that.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ProfessorProf posted:

On actual forum topic: I've basically never bought a published adventure module and run it straight. Is doing this ever a good, worthwhile idea? Are there any pre-packaged dungeons that work great right out of the box?

It's a great, worthwhile idea when you are new to GMing and/or new to the system. It's good to adjust adventures before and during, according to your players' respective backgrounds and decisions, but if the adventure fits as far as you know and the players go along with it as printed, tinkering for the sake of tinkering is just that. In your depths of your ignorance, you risk making it worse.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

That's on my list!

I'm in a mecha mood so I was told to watch Gurren Lagann next, and after 1 episode I can't tell if Bikini Boob Gun Girl is meant to be taken ironically or not.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

dwarf74 posted:

I'm in a mecha mood so I was told to watch Gurren Lagann next, and after 1 episode I can't tell if Bikini Boob Gun Girl is meant to be taken ironically or not.
I would skip over Gurren Lagann and watch Gargantia on the Verurous Planet if you want mecha and liked Full Metal Alchemist.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 17, 2014

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

MadScientistWorking posted:

I would skip over Gurren Lagann and watch Gargantia on the Verurous Planet if you want mecha and liked Full Metal Alchemist.

This is the opposite of what he should do if he's worried about creepy portrayals of women (or if he wants to watch interesting anime :v:).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, Gargantia is mediocre at best. Gurren Lagann is at least fun if you enjoy the ridiculous, exponentially scale of everything as the show progresses.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Sindai posted:

Yeah, Gargantia is mediocre at best. Gurren Lagann is at least fun if you enjoy the ridiculous, exponentially scale of everything as the show progresses.
Really? I've only seen the first 2-4 (I forget the exact number) episodes but they looked promising. How'd it go downhill, in brief?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Oh hey are we talking about anime? Go watch Space Pirate Captain Harlock and Galaxy Express 999.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

That's on my list!

Everything is Gurren Lagann is meant to be taken so seriously that it's a parody of itself, like everything else about adolescence and the insecurity of being a young man. Give it until episode 8, and I'll bet you can't stop watching through to the end.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

NGDBSS posted:

Really? I've only seen the first 2-4 (I forget the exact number) episodes but they looked promising. How'd it go downhill, in brief?
Basically, the premise was great, but they didn't really go anywhere with it. Character growth was negligible despite it being a "fish out of water" story, the reveal for the reasons behind the big space war was lame (and only tangentially related to the main plot anyway), and the final arc in the last couple episodes was really dumb and almost completely unrelated to anything.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Spoilers Below posted:

Everything is Gurren Lagann is meant to be taken so seriously that it's a parody of itself, like everything else about adolescence and the insecurity of being a young man. Give it until episode 8, and I'll bet you can't stop watching through to the end.
Good enough for me!

I'll keep with it then.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

ImpactVector posted:

the reveal for the reasons behind the big space war was lame (and only tangentially related to the main plot anyway).
Considering the fact that people are throwing tantrums over stuff that is similar to this day I don't really find the rational for the space war all that lame.

ImpactVector posted:

a "fish out of water" story
I'd argue that its not a fish out of water story though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Please stop "arguing" about things by make one-line, zero-effort posts that contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion. Try maybe typing out some more words until you have a sentence or two (or maybe even a paragraph!) that provides some explanation as to why you have the opinion that you are posting to tell us about.

Thanks!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Kai Tave posted:

Also the Major starts wearing pants in the second season, so there's that.

Yeah, I never understood how Major Kusanagi is actually less dressed in the show than in the comics, where she actually tends towards more practical clothing. But the show is strong besides that, it always just stuck in my craw, though. Still need to finish the 2nd Season.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 17, 2014

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I've been watching Kingdom on Hulu lately. It's a pretty standard shonen anime, but it's probably safe to call it one of the greatest anime about the Warring States of ancient China ever made.

It's also making me want to play some kind of wuxia game.

Edit:
It's weird watching Chinese George Washington Hitler as one of the protagonists of a shonen anime.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 17, 2014

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Considering the fact that people are throwing tantrums over stuff that is similar to this day I don't really find the rational for the space war all that lame.

I'd argue that its not a fish out of water story though.
What's the story about then? It's definitely not about the space war. There's too much slice-of-life for that.

I could see an argument for it being a story of a soldier adapting to civilian life, but if that's the case, then the reveal for the reasons behind the war completely nukes all the MC's character growth. Of course "man is the real monster" (both literally and figuratively in this case) and "my team are pretty much the bad guys" (as was pretty well telegraphed by the whole child soldier/no free will thing), but that gives him too easy an out for his conflicted feelings about becoming a civilian.

I'm not saying the show is awful, it's just really jumbled and IMO squandered what should have been a really interesting premise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I never understood how Major Kusanagi is actually less dressed in the show than in the comics, where she actually tends towards more practical clothing. But the show is strong besides that, it always just stuck in my craw, though. Still need to finish the 2nd Season.

Look, if you want a show that discusses the philosphical concept of personhood and how that inter-relates to a kantian framework of good action due to prompting the question when money-shooting assassin droids are stalking a reclusive day-trader sometimes you just learn to accept absolutely atrocious clothing decisions.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Barudak posted:

Look, if you want a show that discusses the philosphical concept of personhood and how that inter-relates to a kantian framework of good action due to prompting the question when money-shooting assassin droids are stalking a reclusive day-trader sometimes you just learn to accept absolutely atrocious clothing decisions.

So what you're saying is that the Atlas Shrugged movie would have done better if the protagonist was half naked?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Error 404 posted:

So what you're saying is that the Atlas Shrugged movie would have done better if the protagonist was half naked?

Dunno, does he also have robot eyes and fight tiny spider robots who are grappling with a level of intelligence that allows them to comprehend death and gain a fear for it?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I don't know, I never read the book. I think so.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Barudak posted:

Dunno, does he also have robot eyes and fight tiny spider robots who are grappling with a level of intelligence that allows them to comprehend death and gain a fear for it?
No, you're thinking of The Fountainhead.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No, you're both wrong, the sci-fi Rand book is Anthem. I do think the aliens in the third act were a bit gratuitous, though.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
The best Randian sci-fi book is 'Time enough for love' by Heinlein.

It's awful.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Barudak posted:

Well, there's a female protagonist with a deep-seated enjoyment of psychosexual violence, social darwinism, and long rambling diatribes about ultimately-impossible social systems.

And then there's Ghost in the Shell.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I like Gargantia for a couple of reasons. Its a quieter take on the mech genre. Its slice of life elements are nice, cause they are relateable in a more cerebral sense rather than a "This is something we do all the time" sense. Its mech elements are presented less as a "Lets have lots of battles with mechs" and more "This is the reality of super war machines".

I like the conflicts presented by the main character. In very simple terms its a story about the typical military mech protagonist of any gundam like show, learning to not be a heartless maniac, and actually contribute to himself and others in a meaningful non destructive way.

Oh right.

AND IT HAS A SURFING LOBSTER MECH THAT RIDES A JETSKI BOARD. ( this is how the show was sold to me )

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Please stop "arguing" about things by make one-line, zero-effort posts that contribute absolutely nothing to the discussion.
Yes and how do you want me to respond to the zero effort argument of the reveal was lame.

ImpactVector posted:

I could see an argument for it being a story of a soldier adapting to civilian life, but if that's the case, then the reveal for the reasons behind the war completely nukes all the MC's character growth. Of course "man is the real monster" (both literally and figuratively in this case) and "my team are pretty much the bad guys" (as was pretty well telegraphed by the whole child soldier/no free will thing), but that gives him too easy an out for his conflicted feelings about becoming a civilian.
Its not really adapting to civilian life more than coming to terms that your society was really nasty and kind of evil. He basically teeters between two opposed viewpoints and really doesn't even completely reject one even after my team is evil reveal. The main character is not a pleasant character as early on he walks up to a sick kid and basically states his confusion as to why he's still alive as he's useless.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

:psyduck: I remember the comics being pretty dam atrocious compared to the anime though. I'll have to check my copy but it might have been the superfluous sex scene that was in the comic that had absolutely no bearing on the plot.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Evil Sagan posted:

Someday I hope to experience that ideal of roleplaying in which the setting and characters carry a sense of history and purpose that only comes from actually having been played with the same group of people for an extended period of time.
I've been running a 3.5e Eberron game for close to two years now. The party started at level 5 and have just recently hit 20th, and it's kind of a weird feeling knowing that it's all coming to a close; I've gotten so used to planning for this game that I can't really imagine not doing it anymore.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

:psyduck: I remember the comics being pretty dam atrocious compared to the anime though. I'll have to check my copy but it might have been the superfluous sex scene that was in the comic that had absolutely no bearing on the plot.

Don't forget the setting highlight where in order to justify not wanting to draw naked men he made it so that every cyborg is exclusively homosexual.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

I've been running a 3.5e Eberron game for close to two years now. The party started at level 5 and have just recently hit 20th, and it's kind of a weird feeling knowing that it's all coming to a close; I've gotten so used to planning for this game that I can't really imagine not doing it anymore.

Now comes the awesome part where you run a new level 5 campaign and make all the old characters into demigods and villains and poo poo.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I may have just seen the most mind-boggling reason for not wanting to buy an RPG that the person is really interested in: "It's not available in hardcover".

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

I may have just seen the most mind-boggling reason for not wanting to buy an RPG that the person is really interested in: "It's not available in hardcover".

Wow just wow. That's crazy. I still remember back when people tore apart their books to laminate the pages and put them in 3 ring binders. Those guys hated hardcover books, harder to strip.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is it available in pdf? If so its also available in hardcover if they really want it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh no, see, he only buys hardcovers. The game in question is Dungeon World, which is available in both softcover and PDF, but he's apparently not happy that the hardcover was only for KS backers. Because no matter how much he likes the game, he only buys hardcovers. :shrug:

Although how he can say that (in a DW community no less) and not expect people to roll their eyes is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh no, see, he only buys hardcovers. The game in question is Dungeon World, which is available in both softcover and PDF, but he's apparently not happy that the hardcover was only for KS backers. Because no matter how much he likes the game, he only buys hardcovers. :shrug:

Although how he can say that (in a DW community no less) and not expect people to roll their eyes is beyond me.

I smell an arbitrage moment. Sell him one from your "personal collection" for $200+ or whatever amount lets you make a tidy profit.

• Locked thread