Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Unlucky7 posted:

So you don't need to walk around the base...? It really is meaningless.

You can get some neat dialogue moments tailored to whatever general you have up when you enter the camp. It's not functionally meaningful, but there's still some flavor to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

AnxiousSloth posted:

This is going to sound a bit strange but did they make Ambition mode harder in the PS4 Dynasty Warriors 8XLCE? I remember being able to get up to around battle 60 with no real issue on vanilla DW8 on PS3 with no real issue but I'm struggling to get past stage 11 with how exponential the health of the enemies are becoming. The worst part is I'm going in on beginner so it really should be as much of an issue. Perhaps I went in originally on a harder difficulty and that changed things? I'm not sure what my issue is to be honest, I'm using Zhou Tai at level 52 with his third level weapon so it shouldn't be that difficult.

I don't know about the increased health part but if you're having trouble, you need to get more abilities on your weapon like Slash, Wind, Induction, etc.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Hey I have played this game for a while, picked up ps4 version of DW8:XL and I was just wondering, I have played pretty much all of them starting at 3 and does any one else have problems following the story mode? I seem to be incapable of understanding whats going on at any one time, it feels like every level they are throwing a bunch new characters at me, sometimes they are introduced and die that same stage but the dramatics of it make it seem like I am supposed to care even though I don't really know or understand who they are.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'd agree, 8's story feels really condensed and stripped of a lot of detail. It's worst in the Sun campaign, but based on your post I'd say you're already seeing that.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yes i'm on the Sun campaign now and its definitely the worst i've done so far, I actually found the Wei campaign pretty easy to follow (by Dynasty Warrior standards) but although some games are more clear than others they are all pretty hard to follow. I was wondering if theres a reason, such as maybe its just translated straight from Japanese to English without any kind of localization and that's why it seems to jilted or maybe they assume you know a lot more about it from some other source and so they cut a lot of the exposition out.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I suspect a lot of it has to do with the fact that a lot of players have seen the same story 7 times by this point, plus all the various other retellings of the same book. Sometimes Omega Force just cuts around the story because most players already know most of it.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I guess you could use the encyclopedia and timeline to match it all up if you wanted, but yeah the story jumps around a bit for each nation and never really feels cohesive.

It's probably a combination of needing new battles/stages/characters and KT having to re-tell the general storyline so many times. KT may also figure anybody buying the 8th game in a series is at least a little familiar with the RotK story so they don't have to do the whole sweeping narrative thing.

Plus the fact that text over a map with portraits isn't the most exciting thing to wait through when you just wanna bash hundreds of dudes with crazy weapons.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Lunethex posted:

I don't know about the increased health part but if you're having trouble, you need to get more abilities on your weapon like Slash, Wind, Induction, etc.

Fourth weapons with 10'd out abilities, and a general closer to level cap is really what's expected as you get deeper into Ambition continued levels. Recovery / Jubilation are helpful if you find yourself having a hard time maintaining your own health. And using Gloves on a general that has EXs for it is even better, since quite a few of their C's are unblockable grabs, very useful for those ever-blockers, or those loving slow-mo-to-element-change thing the general you're fighting sometimes pulls.

Bombs are also great because I think the AI's stupid about not blocking them. Plus they're just ridiculously fun.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yes i'm on the Sun campaign now and its definitely the worst i've done so far, I actually found the Wei campaign pretty easy to follow (by Dynasty Warrior standards) but although some games are more clear than others they are all pretty hard to follow. I was wondering if theres a reason, such as maybe its just translated straight from Japanese to English without any kind of localization and that's why it seems to jilted or maybe they assume you know a lot more about it from some other source and so they cut a lot of the exposition out.
At least it's not Ravages of Time, where on top of the Three Kingdoms lore there's references to Confucian and Mencian philosophy/sayings and the Chu-Han Contention (and correspondingly the first Emperor of the Han Dynasty), since those would have been much closer in time to the end of the Han than we are to them...

Personally, I think that a bunch of it is also that there's a bunch of time-skips between major battles as well.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can anyone explain Taishi Ci to me? I am not familiar with the historical figure, but in both 7 and 8, all he does is fight against Wu once, joins and does nothing until he dies in a later battle. Couldn't they have found something for him to do in between?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Can anyone explain Taishi Ci to me? I am not familiar with the historical figure, but in both 7 and 8, all he does is fight against Wu once, joins and does nothing until he dies in a later battle. Couldn't they have found something for him to do in between?
Well, that's basically his role in the novels. He served under three separate people before joining Wu, and since Dynasty Warriors places so much importance on Wu, Wei, and Shu, that means that he's only really important at the end of his life. He's best remembered for how he joined Wu, more than anything, and for being honorable and all that jazz. He doesn't have any great military victories to cite.

That said, it's also funny that he was renowned as an archer in actual history, but the games have him swinging around rods. :v: I guess only Huang Zhong and Xiahou Yuan get to be archers.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

And Sun Shangxiang for DW6, hell I think she still talks about how awesome an archer she is in some of her bragging lines for DW8.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

TARDISman posted:

And Sun Shangxiang for DW6, hell I think she still talks about how awesome an archer she is in some of her bragging lines for DW8.

She does use a bow in her air musou though.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Also her defeated an officer line is "No one can best me and my bow."

AnxiousSloth posted:

This is going to sound a bit strange but did they make Ambition mode harder in the PS4 Dynasty Warriors 8XLCE? I remember being able to get up to around battle 60 with no real issue on vanilla DW8 on PS3 with no real issue but I'm struggling to get past stage 11 with how exponential the health of the enemies are becoming. The worst part is I'm going in on beginner so it really should be as much of an issue. Perhaps I went in originally on a harder difficulty and that changed things? I'm not sure what my issue is to be honest, I'm using Zhou Tai at level 52 with his third level weapon so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Well they certainly tweaked a lot of the regular ambition mode in XL and I wouldn't be surprised if stat scaling was part of it.

In my 100 straight battles I used pretty much vanilla Zhang Liao on Beginner because I wasn't expecting the stat scaling back then and I was still able to pull it off (it was close sometimes though).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I just finished Kamen Rider: Battride War's story mode and it was a fun little experience. I don't know anything about Kamen Rider other than that they're like Power Rangers only all their faces look like bugs for some reason and they all really like motorcycles, which sounds like a fun combination. I can definitely see this game getting much better with a more polished sequel, clean up the frame rate hitches and sound cut outs, create more stages (there's only like 6 fully realized ones), and maybe get some multiplayer and other optional modes in there. Everyone seemed to have their own uses with their own unique move sets and they all look pretty cool, even though I ended up just using Wizard for the entire game after I unlocked everyone.

I couldn't help but notice though that after I finished the final mission that I hadn't unlocked the Diamondhead looking dude I saw in the trailers, so I did a bit of research and found out he was a free DLC character: "Wizard Infinity". So I download him and it turns out he's Dante in a Kamen Rider outfit with a techno sword. Million Slashes and Stingers out the rear end, and they all combo into each other, and his base string is ridiculously good. He's probably the coolest, most fun character in the game I've played yet... and I found out about him after I finished the entire game's story mode and have only challenge missions remaining (and he starts at Level 1) :cripes:

So now I'm power leveling him because holy poo poo he's cool and I want to finish this game as someone I enjoy rather than just tolerate (gently caress Wizard's opening attacks). Why was this character not included in the base game!? gently caress!

I had a lot of fun with this though, and if you're looking for a different kind of musou game and can find it for cheap (I paid about $44 on eBay) then it might be worth a try.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

So now I'm power leveling him because holy poo poo he's cool and I want to finish this game as someone I enjoy rather than just tolerate (gently caress Wizard's opening attacks). Why was this character not included in the base game!? gently caress!

At the time of the game's release Wizard was the show airing and Wizard Infinity was his 'upgrade form' and released as DLC to promote it as a tie-in with the show when that happened.

(The show is terrible.)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

I just finished Kamen Rider: Battride War's story mode and it was a fun little experience. I don't know anything about Kamen Rider other than that they're like Power Rangers only all their faces look like bugs for some reason and they all really like motorcycles, which sounds like a fun combination. I can definitely see this game getting much better with a more polished sequel, clean up the frame rate hitches and sound cut outs, create more stages (there's only like 6 fully realized ones), and maybe get some multiplayer and other optional modes in there. Everyone seemed to have their own uses with their own unique move sets and they all look pretty cool, even though I ended up just using Wizard for the entire game after I unlocked everyone.

I couldn't help but notice though that after I finished the final mission that I hadn't unlocked the Diamondhead looking dude I saw in the trailers, so I did a bit of research and found out he was a free DLC character: "Wizard Infinity". So I download him and it turns out he's Dante in a Kamen Rider outfit with a techno sword. Million Slashes and Stingers out the rear end, and they all combo into each other, and his base string is ridiculously good. He's probably the coolest, most fun character in the game I've played yet... and I found out about him after I finished the entire game's story mode and have only challenge missions remaining (and he starts at Level 1) :cripes:

I had a lot of fun with this though, and if you're looking for a different kind of musou game and can find it for cheap (I paid about $44 on eBay) then it might be worth a try.

Wizard Infinity was not originally included because Battride War was released WHILE Wizard was airing (this is also why Wizard is the first Rider you get, and the most prominent one in all the art and covers and such). At the time the game was released, Wizard Infinity hadn't been revealed in the show yet.

Also I honestly thought regular Wizard was pretty boring and would gladly switch him for like a half-dozen other Riders. But whatever.

e;fb (also, agreed, Wizard was loving awful.)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh, I guess that makes sense.

Infinity Gaia, do you know how the Rider Road scoring works? It's Points Earned, Kills, Combo Streak right?

I'm trying to unlock all the figures and I'm reading that there's a figure for ranking S, A, and B. First go around with Wizard I got Rank A (A, B, A) and unlocked the A figure, but with Wizard Infinity I got Rank S (S, A, S) and it gave me... the B figure. How does this work? Do I seriously have to do each Rider Road 3 times to unlock all the figures for each one, because I thought getting Rank S would get all 3. This is kind of irritating as I already have to play on Very Hard just to get the number of points to hit S Rank.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

Oh, I guess that makes sense.

Infinity Gaia, do you know how the Rider Road scoring works? It's Points Earned, Kills, Combo Streak right?

I'm trying to unlock all the figures and I'm reading that there's a figure for ranking S, A, and B. First go around with Wizard I got Rank A (A, B, A) and unlocked the A figure, but with Wizard Infinity I got Rank S (S, A, S) and it gave me... the B figure. How does this work? Do I seriously have to do each Rider Road 3 times to unlock all the figures for each one, because I thought getting Rank S would get all 3. This is kind of irritating as I already have to play on Very Hard just to get the number of points to hit S Rank.

I didn't really mess around much with Rider Road, I just did the main story. Can't help out there, sorry.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

DO you need to get Dynasty warriors 8 or can you just get extreme legends? I can't seem to google the answer. For ps3 so, no complete edition available.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

canada jezus posted:

DO you need to get Dynasty warriors 8 or can you just get extreme legends? I can't seem to google the answer. For ps3 so, no complete edition available.

You can just get Extreme Legends, though you won't have the story modes from DW8. You'll have the XL missions, challenge mode and ambition mode. I don't know if you'll have the Lu Bu story mode but I think that's included in the XL missions.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

canada jezus posted:

The XL games are basically add-ons. You CAN buy just 8XL, but you won't get much. They're meant to squeeze more gametime from the existing version before the next full release. You're better off getting DW8 cheap and then, if you like it enough, pick up 8XL later when it's cheaper, too.

The CE versions exist because there were no versions of DW8 for Vita and PS4. Pretty sure this is the first time they've done a bundle of vanilla + XL.

Speaking of vanilla DW8. Whoever on Omega Force came up with those jumping puzzle sections in stages should never be allowed to contribute anything ever again. What a bad, bad idea.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So Tecmo Koei has no idea why the PS4 and Vita versions of DW8XLCE are screwy and need your help to find out why. It turns out that 1.03 patch is built into the game already so yeah, these problems aren't immediately fixable.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Also the PC version is coming to the West:

https://twitter.com/tecmokoeieurope/status/456775267302637569
https://twitter.com/tecmokoeieurope/status/456774881258901506/photo/1/large

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I was just thinking 'I'd like to get into these again but I can't buy a console just for that'.

4, 6 and 8. I guess the next one to come out on PC will be 10.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Well poo poo i just ordered it for ps3. Maybe saves will be transferable, maybe i'll just spend 80+ hours twice, who knows.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Oh hell yes.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Looks like I'll be quadruple dipping on this DW8 now, christ.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Hopefully you can turn AA on in this without all of the models turning invisible. I'm looking at you, Samurai Warriors 2.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Orochi 3 just keeps throwing new characters at me and I feel compelled to at least try them one once. Plus the Bond poo poo seems to take forever to grind up. Also I don't know who 90% of the characters are.
Any real tips? I generally keep some kunai throwing girl in my group because she builds up the True Triple gauge up extremely quickly which is a decent trade-off for low damage, at least it seems.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Don't worry too much about bonds, since you'll get the Teahouse soon and can spend all your money there to quickly build bonds. For the characters, there's a reason you should play at least one game from both franchises before you move to that series.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Hope 8 runs better on PC than 7. I could never get it to maintain a solid framerate on a computer that definitely should have been capable of doing so. :iiam:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I have a hankering to play Dynasty Warriors the last game i played was the first version of 7. I am trying to understand something about Dynasty Warriors 8 XL (PS3), do i need to have Dynasty Warriors 8 as well? I am so utterly confused.

*EDIT* Should i buy Dynasty Warriors 8 or just skip to Dynasty Warriors 8 XL?

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 17, 2014

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Oh yessss come to papa.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

And its on steam what the hell

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently they are porting the PS3 version, which is hilarious because the PS4 is a loving PC yet they picked the version with the absurd architecture to port from :psyduck:

Also here are some screens:

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2014/03/17/75229.html

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Mortimer posted:

Namco-Bandai has been leading the charge when it comes to Japanese games going to PC, so TK is just following.

abagofcheetos posted:

Apparently they are porting the PS3 version, which is hilarious because the PS4 is a loving PC yet they picked the version with the absurd architecture to port from :psyduck:

Also here are some screens:

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2014/03/17/75229.html

I think when it comes to the PS3/PS4 thing, the difference is that there are just less options turned up for PS3 versus PS4. Maybe it won't be a big deal :shrug:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mortimer posted:

DW7XL was on Steam too, just only in Asia: http://steamdb.info/app/211140/

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Should i get Dynasty Warriors 8 for PS3? Or should i get the XL version for PS3? I haven't played the series in awhile, and i honestly remember nothing about the games story aside from it being insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On the PS3 XL is an expansion pack, you can play it stand alone but you miss out on the original story modes and maybe some other stuff. On everything else (Vita, PS4 and now PC I guess) DW 8 is a 'complete edition' that includes the base game and the XL stuff.