Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Nope, you can kill the Mabari at Ostagar, and get Oghren to hate you so much that he will fight a duel to the death with you.

Is it even possible to solo the game with just Alistair? That'd make for an interesting playthrough...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

oatgan posted:

Listen, man, we just want to know if we can gently caress the ghost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8dmQ-N9luQ

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Deltasquid posted:

Is it even possible to solo the game with just Alistair? That'd make for an interesting playthrough...

I wonder how the big battle at the end winds up. I think someone said you just control generic mooks?

Mung Dynasty posted:

I'm pretty sure most of the cast can be killed in some way, either directly or indirectly as a result of your actions.

Morrigan is the only companion guaranteed to survive DAO, other than those brought back to life in future installments.

• Leliana - either left in Lothering or killed after defiling Andraste's ashes (she gets better and is back in DA2)
  • Alistair - spare Loghain and don't push for a marriage between Alistair and Anora, and you have the choice to call for his execution
  • Sten - leave him in the cage. Curiously, if you fight him at Haven, you don't have an option to kill him.
  • Wynne - Let Morrigan mouth off a little too much when first meeting her in the circle and she'll attack. Tell her you're going to slaughter the mages in the circle and she'll attack. Defile Andraste's ashes and she'll attack.
  • Zevran - slit his throat after the ambush or if you're not friendly he'll turn on you and re-join the Crows in Denerim.
  • Dog - you can just leave it to die, or if you're a poo poo, you can go stab the fucker
  • Oghren - drop his approval and you'll duel him to the death. In Awakening he's alive though, and will laugh and say you knocked him out.
  • Shale - bring her along to Caradin and side with Branka
  • Loghain - kill him after the duel

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's a long time ago, but I thought you could also sacrifice Alistair by letting him kill the dragon?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Man, the end of the game hardly counts.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Man, the end of the game hardly counts.

PLAYER CHOICE AND FREEDOM!

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

• Alistair - spare Loghain and don't push for a marriage between Alistair and Anora, and you have the choice to call for his execution

Ahaha. I know there's a lot of dislike for Alistair but goddamn this one just seems salty as heck. I only ever saw him as like a dumb lost puppy and/or or your own personal fan so I just imagine him going to pieces when you request his execution.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Is there any extra interesting bits if you let Loghain live through the end game? I guess that would mean you were dead, never tried it to see though.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
He replaces Alistair as a companion, so that's a net win. You get to talk with him a bit about what happened, and Return to Ostagar can be pretty interesting with him around.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

I wonder how the big battle at the end winds up. I think someone said you just control generic mooks?

Morrigan is the only companion guaranteed to survive DAO, other than those brought back to life in future installments.

• Leliana - either left in Lothering or killed after defiling Andraste's ashes (she gets better and is back in DA2)
  • Sten - leave him in the cage. Curiously, if you fight him at Haven, you don't have an option to kill him.
  • Wynne - Let Morrigan mouth off a little too much when first meeting her in the circle and she'll attack. Tell her you're going to slaughter the mages in the circle and she'll attack. Defile Andraste's ashes and she'll attack.
  • Zevran - slit his throat after the ambush or if you're not friendly he'll turn on you and re-join the Crows in Denerim.
  • Dog - you can just leave it to die, or if you're a poo poo, you can go stab the fucker
  • Oghren - drop his approval and you'll duel him to the death. In Awakening he's alive though, and will laugh and say you knocked him out.
  • Shale - bring her along to Caradin and side with Branka
  • Loghain - kill him after the duel

So it's possible to do practically the entire game with just you and one other companion. Talk about gimping yourself.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Is there any extra interesting bits if you let Loghain live through the end game? I guess that would mean you were dead, never tried it to see though.

You get some stuff in Awakening about how he's being reassigned to Orlais. Plus he's considerably more chilled out.

Deltasquid posted:

So it's possible to do practically the entire game with just you and one other companion. Talk about gimping yourself.

But equally, it's awesome that they let you do that.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

CottonWolf posted:

But equally, it's awesome that they let you do that.

Yeah, that's pretty great. Mass Effect also lets you horribly murder all of your teammates but that takes serious effort.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deltasquid posted:

No no, in a Bioware game you need another character to be the gimp.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Torrannor posted:

It's a long time ago, but I thought you could also sacrifice Alistair by letting him kill the dragon?

Yes. And if you're in a romance with him and haven't done the ~~dark ritual~~ he won't even give you an opportunity to choose - he says goodbye and goes and kills the dragon himself. There really are a lot of little things in DAO that helped make it special.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
My favorite example of being able to kill off all of your party members is in Mask of the Betrayer where doing so even rewards you with the most hilariously overpowered amulet in the game (it doesn't make up the difference for having no party members though).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Clever Spambot posted:

My favorite example of being able to kill off all of your party members is in Mask of the Betrayer where doing so even rewards you with the most hilariously overpowered amulet in the game (it doesn't make up the difference for having no party members though).

Well, Mask of the Betrayer was a seriously great game, with companions that were quite unique. In DA:O you get a Mabari, in MotB you get the ghost of an intelligent bear-god!

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Deltasquid posted:

Pretty sure, since my ex-husband's boss mentioned that he hasn't gotten to do that on Nightmare like he really wants to.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

How would the pressure puzzle in the Ashes sequence even work though? I thought you needed four players for that.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

How would the pressure puzzle in the Ashes sequence even work though? I thought you needed four players for that.

Ash Wraiths apparently fill in the empty slots

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

monster on a stick posted:

We should test this. For science.

Ekusukariba posted:

Ash Wraiths apparently fill in the empty slots

Wait, what?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
So I seem to have run into a game-breaking bug in Origins. During the duel with Loghain, no matter who I choose to fight him, nobody gets removed from the party and it ends up a four-on-one, and it doesn't end when he gets to 1 hp. He just keeps fighting forever. I tried uninstalling all my mods except the DLC and reverting to an earlier saved game in the Alienage, but it sill happens. Anyone have any advice?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Deltasquid posted:

Wait, what?

Yeah, don't ask me but:

DA Wiki posted:

If your party does not consist of 4 members, ash wraiths will join as temporary companions and once the bridge is complete and the party moves to the next trial, they will vanish. The ash wraiths have Heavy Chainmail equipped on them which can be moved to the inventory and will remain there even when they vanish.

personally I think they missed a trick by not using the ghosts of the other Grey Warden candidates that Duncan knifed in the Joining. And Duncan's Ghost if you need a 3rd.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Deltasquid posted:

Wait, what?

If you don't bring the number of party members required to fill the spots, you get ash wraiths as temporary party members.

You can bug this out to make them permanent party members, though.

Dragon Age Wiki posted:

There is a bug where ash wraiths can be added to the party (permanently). During the Urn of Sacred Ashes quest, select only one player. At the bridge puzzle during The Gauntlet, two friendly ash wraiths are added to the party to assist. Immediately walk back out and select a different party. From now on, the ash wraiths will be available as players.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Are they decent as fighting companions or do they suck balls?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
And can you romance them

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gnome de plume posted:

And can you romance them

I think that was a part of my question already. :colbert:

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Drifter posted:

I think that was a part of my question already. :colbert:

Oh God.

Do they sing at the campfire?

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
I hope Inquisition adds banter between all the party members that you have with you. The only one I've ever seen was between Zevran, Ohgden and Morrigan with Zevran flirting with Morrigan repeatedly and getting shut down until finally she accepts a compliment...only to have Ohgden pipe up with a complaint that he has to pay Zevran for winning a bet. I never managed to find any other 3 way banters.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

dPB posted:

I hope Inquisition adds banter between all the party members that you have with you. The only one I've ever seen was between Zevran, Ohgden and Morrigan with Zevran flirting with Morrigan repeatedly and getting shut down until finally she accepts a compliment...only to have Ohgden pipe up with a complaint that he has to pay Zevran for winning a bet. I never managed to find any other 3 way banters.

There are a couple in DA2, actually, some that even changed based on who you have in your party.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

There are a couple in DA2, actually, some that even changed based on who you have in your party.

There are a metric ton of them and they are all horrible

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Shame I can't replace everyone in DA 2 with Ash Wraiths.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ElrondHubbard posted:

There are a metric ton of them and they are all horrible

They aren't all bad, but far too many are either bad jokes, or just your party members (mostly Fenris and Anders) snarling at each other.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Geostomp posted:

They aren't all bad, but far too many are either bad jokes, or just your party members (mostly Fenris and Anders) snarling at each other.

It could have done with a "for the love of god shut up both of you!" option.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I liked the ones with Varric convincing Fenris to come to the bar and play cards :shobon:

Peragus
Sep 13, 2011

The three way banters between Anders, Fenris, and Merril were the best. It was just Anders and Fenris constantly making GBS threads on Merrill.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Well, we showed Anders at the end, though, eh? :v:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kimaka posted:

The three way banters between Anders, Fenris, and Merril were the best. It was just Anders and Fenris constantly making GBS threads on Merrill.

See, those would entail me tolerating Fenris and Anders together. Merrill, while a little annoying to me, was tolerable like a dumb little sister (i.e. in small doses). Fenris and Anders, however, I absolutely hated. Giving them an excuse to get even more self-righteous or bark at each other over a complex issue is the last thing I want.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

The best one was Bioware's explanation for how Merrill survived nine years in Kirkwall: Varric nearly bankrupting himself paying off lookouts and thugs to watch her back.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

DrakePegasus posted:

The best one was Bioware's explanation for how Merrill survived nine years in Kirkwall: Varric nearly bankrupting himself paying off lookouts and thugs to watch her back.

Varric's really is the best--he's looking out for the family and does a better job than Hawke, by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Merrill is one of those characters who is self aware and capable in one scene, and in the next she literally can't find her way home from market, wonders aloud if a brothel has broth, if the wounded coast can be healed, and she needs a ball of twine to find her way home. She totally can handle cavorting with demons but betrays you in the fade immediately after a demon makes her an offer. She is the purest distillation of Dragon Age 2 in how slapdash and poorly realized she is.

• Locked thread