Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'd have loved to go to Cal instead just to take a class taught by Reich.

Here's his blog, for reference, and here's him smacking down Sippy Cupp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I'd have loved to go to Cal instead just to take a class taught by Reich.

Here's his blog, for reference, and here's him smacking down Sippy Cupp.

I know he's cool and the blog is where I got the video. I was just lampooning D&D's propensity to attack a person espousing a good and reasonable position based on some past shortfall of not calling for instant and full communism in the 1980s or whatever.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

I know he's cool and the blog is where I got the video. I was just lampooning D&D's propensity to attack a person espousing a good and reasonable position based on some past shortfall of not calling for instant and full communism in the 1980s or whatever.

He's a reformed insider, our favorite kind of insider.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

zoux posted:

To be fair to the hive mind, the main point where this seems to happen is 'did they vote in support of the Iraq war resolution thingie in 2003' or 'have they actually said profoundly racist things'.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
In a country approaching Game of Thrones levels of shortsighted fiscal plans and apathy among the common people and sadistic ennui among the elite, Robert Reich is the closest thing we have to Tyrion Lannister.

Robert Reich for Master of Coin.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Right, I was just mentioning the possibility.

Wasn't a dig! I was just using your comment as an excuse to vomit more information because I'm a huge dork.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

In a country approaching Game of Thrones levels of shortsighted fiscal plans and apathy among the common people and sadistic ennui among the elite, Robert Reich is the closest thing we have to Tyrion Lannister.

Robert Reich for Master of Coin.

Where do politicians go?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
"There are no men like me. Only me." - William Jaimeson Clinton

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

The Warszawa posted:

"There are no men like me. Only me." - William Jaimeson Clinton

So would that make Hillary Cersei, or Brienne?

And if Hillary is Cersei, would that make Chelsea Myrcella as the first born daughter or Joffrey as first born?

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 17, 2014

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Hillary is Brienne, Palin is Cersei.

And Biden is Bronn.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

zoux posted:

Robert Reich has a neat video up about just how biased the US Tax Code is in favor of the ultra rich:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdV_CfDRjDc

Quick someone tell me if Robert Reich is a legit Cool Guy or if there is some failure in his ideological purity that discounts everything he says all the time and forever.

I love the voice over makes this sound like one of those PSA's from the 50's, and thats not a dig it sounds more... Authoritative and helpful.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Broken Box posted:

Palin is Cersei.

I'm sure theres a lot of republicans that'd like the walk of shame. :pervert:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Hillary is Cersei, Janet Reno is Brienne because she's a stone cold badass. Rahm Emanuel is Littlefinger.

RFK is Ned Stark, Jimmy Carter is Howland Reed, Reagan is Aerys II, George H.W. Bush is Rhaegar. George W. Bush is Aegon, Cheney is Jon Connington.

Obama is Daenerys - you've got dragons man loving do SOMETHING.

Sotomayor is the Hound, Kagan is Arya Stark, Thurgood Marshall is Jaqen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
And, from the perspective of everyone who has any actual voice in this nation's governance, Occupy is the Others.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'd say more that they are the Band of Brothers both before and after Lady Stoneheart's takeover.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
edit: I changed my mind about joining this conversation.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

And, from the perspective of everyone who has any actual voice in this nation's governance, Occupy is the Others.

Pretty sure that a group nicknamed the White Walkers can't be anything but the Tea Party.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Tried to think of a Stannis and Clarence Thomas is all that came to mind. They have the same sunny disposition, at any rate.

Aaaaand let's say Justin Trudeau is Jon Snow. (Harper is Mance Rayder.)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I figured the Tea Party was the Faith Militant.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ted Cruz would make a pretty good High Sparrow.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Clarence Thomas is Ser Ilyn Payne. Mitt Romney is Stannis, John McCain is Robert.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

You GoT folks always make me itch to read the books but I'm damned if I'll start another 5000-page fantasy series with all the great stuff that's already piling up on my to-read stack.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

Aaaaand let's say Justin Trudeau is Jon Snow. (Harper is Mance Rayder.)

Being killed by your own after getting into a position of leadership does seem appropriate for the liberal party.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

mdemone posted:

You GoT folks always make me itch to read the books but I'm damned if I'll start another 5000-page fantasy series with all the great stuff that's already piling up on my to-read stack.

They are not very good, to me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

forbidden lesbian posted:

They are not very good, to me.

Plus they're not done and never will be done so maybe wait.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Plus they're not done and never will be done so maybe wait.

Of course they'll be finished, HBO will do it if GRRM won't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mdemone posted:

Don't do it! Stay back! Baaaack!

(The problem with GoT is that they're actually fairly well written, especially by the common standards of fantasy doorstoppers, but Martin is both abusive to his readers and indolent to the point that he will die before the series is finished).

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Roose Paul 2012 Ramsay Paul 2016 Kill Your Regents

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

(The problem with GoT is that they're actually fairly well written, especially by the common standards of fantasy doorstoppers, but Martin is both abusive to his readers and indolent to the point that he will die before the series is finished).

If Stephen King couldn't break me by leaving the ka-tet on Blaine for the better part of a decade and then having the unmitigated gall to try and get himself killed before finishing the series, then there's nothing Gurm can do that's worse.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Warszawa posted:

Clarence Thomas is Ser Ilyn Payne. Mitt Romney is Stannis, John McCain is Robert.

I dunno, Dubya makes a way better Robert than McCain. Rose to the office after a bitter power struggle, immediately found the process of administering a realm boring as hell and left the entire affair to his advisors, bankrupted the realm with lavish spending on useless projects, jumped to war at the slightest opportunity because peace is SOOOOO BORING, loves partying constantly.

McCain could easily be Stannis, though. Was kept from the throne because it was Dubya's turn; made a serious bid for it after Dubya was out of the picture but lost big-time. This would cast Palin as Melisandre, and (hilariously) Romney as Renly.

mdemone posted:

If Stephen King couldn't break me by leaving the ka-tet on Blaine for the better part of a decade and then having the sheer gall to try and get himself killed before finishing the series, then there's nothing Gurm can do that's worse.

GRRM is a little less blatant about his self-inserts, certainly (we're not even sure if his self-insert is Sam or Wyman Manderly).

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

mdemone posted:

All the good parts of the series will be wrapped up by the end of this TV season. The stuff that happens in the most recent thousands of pages in the books could have happened in less than a hundred and nothing would have been lost.

Don't bother.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fairly well written descriptions of food and Dany making GBS threads herself in a field.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

mdemone posted:

If Stephen King couldn't break me by leaving the ka-tet on Blaine for the better part of a decade and then having the unmitigated gall to try and get himself killed before finishing the series, then there's nothing Gurm can do that's worse.

Ugh, King almost dying was the worst thing that happened for the series. I refuse to consider those last three books to be cannon :colbert:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

mdemone posted:

You'll devour them in no time, FWIW.

GOP morghulis.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ezra's new joint actually published an article arguing that Daenerys is George W. Bush.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Shocking absolutely no one, Ezra Klein is wrong.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BUSH 2112 posted:

Ugh, King almost dying was the worst thing that happened for the series. I refuse to consider those last three books to be cannon :colbert:

Eh, he batted about .300 in those last three books -- not bad for a shortstop but not great for an iconic author's career epic.

Some of it was downright good but then EEEEEEE!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:aaa: Holy poo poo I'm sold. (It makes even more sense if you've read Book 5.)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So who is Quentyn?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

I'm mostly just surprised that Daenerys is anyone's favorite character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

I'm mostly just surprised that Daenerys is anyone's favorite character
You monster.

(Speaking of what's a spoiler-safe place to catch up on the books, because it's been years since I last read them?)

• Locked thread