Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mars4523 posted:

Danielle Panabaker looks distractingly like Agents of SHIELD's Elizabeth Henstridge (aka one of the only good things about that series) and for her sake I hope that the actual Flash series will be a lot better than what we saw here.

She's a halfway decent actress, I think it was mostly just the writing. Hopefully they'll manage better in Flash itself when they're not trying to clumsily tie one series to another that doesn't even exist yet.

Wasn't Flash supposed to have premiered by now before they moved it back? Maybe when this episode was written, the idea was that viewers would already know Panabaker & Vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No. Flash was always planned for next season.

What they moved was a second Barry appearance that was going to serve as a backdoor pilot. Instead they moved it to a full pilot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

Diggle don't need training.

I wish Diggle would keep training Felicity like he was that one episode though.

She should get training from the 2 cast members from the Flash. They actually did something in their short appearance!

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

No. Flash was always planned for next season.

What they moved was a second Barry appearance that was going to serve as a backdoor pilot. Instead they moved it to a full pilot.

I think this could likely account for this episode's problems. Having to redo whatever you plan in the middle of the season does not do favors for production I can imagine.

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011
Are we actually sure Summer Glau is still alive? I'm not really convinced either way, seemed ambiguous. Eyes opened, but there were fingers involved, and she looked pretty lifeless.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Merlinicus posted:

Are we actually sure Summer Glau is still alive? I'm not really convinced either way, seemed ambiguous. Eyes opened, but there were fingers involved, and she looked pretty lifeless.

It's TV. You don't show it unless she is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

It's TV. You don't show it unless she is.

I was pretty shocked people in the thread live posting jumped to the assumption she was dead. She's the right-hand of Mr. Mirakuru himself, I just assumed he'd figure something out. I half expected her to shrug the bullets off and heal right then and there. There's also a telling shot of her body on the ground that holds for a second or two longer than you'd normally expect, which to me said "She's loving dead! Or is she????".

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

Woden posted:

Can anyone explain how that stock diluting thing actually works? That bit made absolutely no sense.

Stock dilution is where a company keeps issuing stocks to the point that the individual stocks themselves are worthless. Google essentially dropped their stock price 100% the other week by doubling the amount of shares they issued. If Ollie were getting paid in stocks, he could still own the majority of shares, but they'd be as valuable as Beanie Babies.

What doesn't make sense is how Isabel can go after their other assets. She's not a creditor, so she doesn't have any rights to them. This show plays it fast and loose with legal accuracy, so I try not to think about it.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Zombie Tsunami posted:

Stock dilution is where a company keeps issuing stocks to the point that the individual stocks themselves are worthless. Google essentially dropped their stock price 100% the other week by doubling the amount of shares they issued. If Ollie were getting paid in stocks, he could still own the majority of shares, but they'd be as valuable as Beanie Babies.

What doesn't make sense is how Isabel can go after their other assets. She's not a creditor, so she doesn't have any rights to them. This show plays it fast and loose with legal accuracy, so I try not to think about it.

She's not a creditor but if Moira's assets are tied up in the stock she can default on them, I think.
But by transferring Moira's assets to Ollie and Thea, they have nothing to go after. It is 1%'er math that I will never understand.

Arrow Season 2: The Wolf of Starling City

Edit: more legal mumbojumbo.

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 17, 2014

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Zombie Tsunami posted:

It's all technically owned by the company, the Queen family is just a slightly more action-oriented Bluth family.

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

York_M_Chan posted:

She's not a creditor but if Moira's assets are tied up in the stock she can default on them, I think.
But by transferring Moira's assets to Ollie and Thea, they have nothing to go after. It is 1%'er math that I will never understand.

Arrow Season 2: The Wolf of Starling City

Edit: more legal mumbojumbo.

Yeah, we just don't have enough info to know, but trusts are often used to escape liabilities so it works for me.

Edit: yeah it just hit me that since Moira and Ollie have been essentially using the company to get things for themselves then Isabel could "pierce the corporate veil" and sue them for it, under, like, almost any theory of liability I can think of. so it's not even necessarily a default situation. It's just like the Bluths, forums user boom boom boom nailed it.

boom boom boom posted:

It's all technically owned by the company, the Queen family is just a slightly more action-oriented Bluth family.

The Queens have the worst loving attorneys.

Zombie Tsunami fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 17, 2014

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

Oh my lord, that comparison just blew up in my mind. I love it.

Does that make Isabel, Kitty? Even to the point of the assistant having an affair with the dad and knowing family secrets.

"Say goodbye, Oliver! And say goodbye to these!"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zombie Tsunami posted:

Yeah, we just don't have enough info to know, but trusts are often used to escape liabilities so it works for me.

The Queens have the worst loving attorneys.

They do have tiny feet and seem to burn everything in their wake.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Dubbing Ron Howard's narration for Michael over top of Ollie's scenes would be pretty priceless, I'll admit.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
There's always money in the banana stand Applied Sciences Center!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
I'm loving were this thread is going.

"Can't wait to get a meaty part like Stephen Amell has, I can almost taste it!"

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

...And now the story of a wealthy family who lost everything, and the one son who had no choice but to be something else... It's Arrow Development.

Mom, did you have something to do with the destruction of The Glades?

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 17, 2014

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

*convict injects self with mirakuru* "Oh, no no no, I'm not even in the gang yet. No, I'm afraid I just Slade myself."

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
[Detective Lance, about to get shived in his cell] I've made a huge mistake.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oracle posted:

The stupid:
- Why would anyone invent a machine that transfuses blood from one person to 20? That just makes no drat scientific sense, it'd kill the one person and not do anything for the 20.

- Ollie shooting the power panel instead of the machine itself once he decided he wasn't going to believe the bad guy when he said stopping his master plan would kill his friend. Also Ollie not unhooking any of the bad guys from the super bad guy making machine. I mean if it'll kill Roy to stop the process won't it kill them too? Its not got the best track record in the world...

- ...or not. All escaped convicts just so happened to survive the mirakuru transfusion process when it was dropping people like flies previously.

Theory: It's not a blood transfusion machine at all. That's just what it is labeled as on the inventory, since "Mirakuru Infusion Device" is gonna get the attention of people like Amanda Waller and ARGUS (no idea what they were calling the Earthquake machines :v:). Ivo was a doctor chasing a miracle super serum. He had to have benefactors to get the pirate freighter, leads, and all the other stuff involved. Obviously he wasn't the only person who stood to gain, and the device was built with the intent of using it to mass infuse people with the serum.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hopefully the caving-est DA ever only caved because there's some behind the scenes poo poo going on and there's some nefarious machination that requires Quentin to be a cop again ASAP.

Also Geoff Johns got a co-writing credit, the other two episodes he co-wrote being the other two Flash episodes. This episode was scheduled to be the backdoor Flash pilot, so I don't know if they brought Johns back to do a rewrite or just had to do a bunch of revisions to his original script. Which would explain the weirdness of the Flash characters in the show.

For as short as it was, that Deathstroke in the Arrowcave fight loving ruled. Slade catching Sarah mid-air was a loving awesome stunt.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 17, 2014

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

zoux posted:

Hopefully the caving-est DA ever only caved because there's some behind the scenes poo poo going on and there's some nefarious machination that requires Quentin to be a cop again ASAP.

Also Geoff Johns got a co-writing credit, the other two episodes he co-wrote being the other two Flash episodes. This episode was scheduled to be the backdoor Flash pilot, so I don't know if they brought Johns back to do a rewrite or just had to do a bunch of revisions to his original script. Which would explain the weirdness of the Flash characters in the show.

For as short as it was, that Deathstroke in the Arrowcave fight loving ruled. Slade catching Sarah mid-air was a loving awesome stunt.

Yeah the way things are going there's no way the DA isn't working for Slade

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Maybe that it was a tenuous case, and the DA's office would've lost a shitload of face if they took a cop who was actively helping people and threw him in Gen Pop in NotoriouslyBadPrison. The fact that he was beaten would probably expose them to lawsuits, since they didn't have effective procedures in place to keep him safe. That, coupled with Laurel being able to say "hey, didn't you just do something way less than legal by baiting a Huntress with live hostages?" was a mighty good trump card. She's not going to be able to use if it her dad straight up murders someone, but for this, yeah, it works.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

"Hey if you don't let me leave early on Friday I'm going to become a Supreme Court clerk who's only goal is getting the Court to rule that you're a dumb bitch!!"

Some enterprising giflord needs to shop in Vietnam war images during Laurel's montage of realization.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ahh, Geoff Johns being co-writer on this episode explains all the lovely awkward dialogue.

I'm not being the least bit facetious.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

BrianWilly posted:

Ahh, Geoff Johns being co-writer on this episode explains all the lovely awkward dialogue.

I'm not being the least bit facetious.

Hey at least it wasn't Jeph Loeb amirite?

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 17, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
This episode was more than 50% unenjoyable, but still had some fun parts.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
Look, complain all you like but this episode had a scene where the main villain deflects arrows with a samurai sword, and at the end of the day that's enough for me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pigbog posted:

Look, complain all you like but this episode had a scene where the main villain deflects arrows with a samurai sword, and at the end of the day that's enough for me.

That shot was very impressive. I wouldn't have really expected it to be any better looking in a big budget movie. I guess a few CGI arrows aren't as expensive as they used to be. And yea the flying leap Sarah took and Deathstroke catching her was badass.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

zoux posted:

It was a pretty badass stunt.

Although I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't have him throw her back.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa is that actually Caity?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Being caught by the neck seems like it would be one of the things insurance doesn't let you do, but you never know.

It's a cool stunt, it's just too bad they did the wrestling thing where if she wasn't caught, what was her move there supposed to be? Just kind of bump into him?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Being caught by the neck seems like it would be one of the things insurance doesn't let you do, but you never know.

It's a cool stunt, it's just too bad they did the wrestling thing where if she wasn't caught, what was her move there supposed to be? Just kind of bump into him?

Well when she jumped he was facing the other way so I think she was trying to smash him in the back of the head.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Hey at least it was Jeph Loeb amirite?

I loved Hush and the Long Halloween :smith:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Oh, now I recognize Summer Glau. I thought Isabel was the Huntress lady, I forgot her name was Helena. Isabel = CEO = Summer Glau. I can see it now.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Aphrodite posted:

She actually has a metal pipe in her right hand that you can't quite see because it's dark (you can see it in a couple of frames in the very beginning of the gif if you know it's there). She rips it off or picks it up or something in the shot right before the jump, I just cut it out to save on size.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think they mean that, at the speed and angle that she was going, it didn't look like she was gonna be able to swing that pipe at him as much as she was just gonna bodyslam into him anyway.

Looked hella cool, though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'll have you guys know the Flying Nothing is a truly devastating move :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

Nah, she was going to straddle Slade and they were going to bang and then Slade and Ollie'd be eskimo brothers. First the Father, then the Son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

I think they mean that, at the speed and angle that she was going, it didn't look like she was gonna be able to swing that pipe at him as much as she was just gonna bodyslam into him anyway.

Looked hella cool, though.

She's got the pipe raised to strike halfway through the jump, but I imagine getting Vader'd by Slade aborted the follow-through.

• Locked thread