Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

More fun with Google Maps localizations:

maps.google.com:

maps.google.ru:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
I'm bit dissapointed that Balkan versions don't use Greater Serbia etc. versions.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Darth Various posted:

Today in Excellent Choices in Colour Scales:

:thumbsup:

E: Sorry, it broke tables. Fixed now.

IIRC that map was actually part of a larger collection of similar maps which all had the same color scale. I saw it in an RSS feed this morning but can't remember from where.

edit:Found it

withak fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 16, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Egypt is totally conservative about everything else, but is totally liberal about divorce?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 16, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lycus posted:

Egypt is totally conservative about everything else, but is totally liberal about divorce?
The Qur'an explicitly describes the grounds for which a divorce is allowed, so there's really no conflict as far as I can tell.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The Qur'an explicitly describes the grounds for which a divorce is allowed, so there's really no conflict as far as I can tell.

As does the catholic church, actually. For instance, a marriage may be divorced (read: was invalid all along) if one partner didn't mention beforehand that he is infertile. :catholic:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Honj Steak posted:

As does the catholic church, actually. For instance, a marriage may be divorced (read: was invalid all along) if one partner didn't mention beforehand that he is infertile. :catholic:

I thought that a marriage being declared not valid all along was an annulment, not a divorce.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Pakled posted:

I thought that a marriage being declared not valid all along was an annulment, not a divorce.

Yep that's probably the correct expression, my bad.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Honj Steak posted:

Annulment is different from divorce though. (And the Catholic Church is the one that made divorce such a big deal in the first place as far as I'm aware.) Islam, having no strong central authority pushing various interpretations, might have remained a bit more conservative in terms of interpretations of the faith in this regard too. (Being a younger religion wouldn't hurt either.) If that traditional view of divorce is dominant in Egypt, then that would mean they're essentially answering a different question than people in Western countries, where divorce is much much easier.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Count Roland posted:

I was thinking about the situation in Ukraine, and I got to wondering about expanding borders. Russia annexed Crimea as we all know, and either has already or will officially make it part of Russian territory.

I was wondering when the last time this happened was. States these days, and really since WW2, have tended to splinter instead of grow larger. The most recent example I could think of of a state expanding its borders was Israel in '67 (and kinda ongoing with settlements, depending how you look at it). Any more recent examples that I've missed?

German reunification in 1990, and, uh, I think Yemeni reunification in the '90s, too?

esquilax posted:

Turkey in Cyprus in '74 is a pretty analogous case to Russia in Crimea, though northern Cyprus is only Turkish-occupied instead of "officially" part of Turkey.

I wouldn't say it's analogous. Cyprus was its own thing until Greece started pushing for 'enosis'. Crimea's been part of Ukraine since the '50s.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4kgst9GR8k

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
In some muslim countries, like Egypt, they have TIMED marriages to avoid the whole adultery thing.

Abdullah you and Fatima are now married!. Congratulations. By the way it only lasts until dawn, have fun.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

the jizz taxi posted:

German reunification in 1990, and, uh, I think Yemeni reunification in the '90s, too?

I wouldn't say it's analogous. Cyprus was its own thing until Greece started pushing for 'enosis'. Crimea's been part of Ukraine since the '50s.

Northern Cyprus had been a part of Cyprus for most of recorded history. Cyprus had been a sovereign for 14 years vs 23 for Ukraine. Turkey invaded due to an ostensibly illegitimate change in leadership that was going to disadvantage the Turkish ethnic group. That invasion was widely condemned by the international community but didn't cause major armed conflict.

All historical events are unique, but it had more in common with Russia in Crimea than either do to any other event in recent history.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Ostensibly" illegitimate? The government of Cyprus was overthrown in a coup by pro-annexation militia under the orders of the military dictatorship ruling Greece at the time. It was blatantly illegitimate.

The world mostly supported Turkey's original invasion (until it became clear that Turkey wasn't interested in restoring the pre-coup government like they claimed, instead taking as much lf the island as possible for the Turks), it's really not like the situation in Crimea at all.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

"Ostensibly" illegitimate? The government of Cyprus was overthrown in a coup by pro-annexation militia under the orders of the military dictatorship ruling Greece at the time. It was blatantly illegitimate.

The world mostly supported Turkey's original invasion (until it became clear that Turkey wasn't interested in restoring the pre-coup government like they claimed, instead taking as much lf the island as possible for the Turks), it's really not like the situation in Crimea at all.

I'm sorry that you don't see any similarities between two situations in which an established nation-state invades a relatively new one to protect its ethnic minorities in that state but ends up controlling a portion of the territory despite the wishes of the international community.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The situation with Russia is a lot more complex though. Crimea was a part of Russia long before it was a part of Ukraine. The Crimean Khanate was annexed into Russia in 1783 and Khrushchev gave it to Ukraine in 1954. The Crimean people were overwhelmingly in favor of being a part of Russia as opposed to being under Ukrainian control. 171 years of inundation with Russian culture and emigration gives a good reason for why Russia would want to take it back, as well as why Crimea should be allowed to secede from Ukraine and join the country they wish to. It doesn't matter what country it is, the Crimean people have the right to determine who they want to be ruled by (either self rule or rule under another country's government). Forcing a group of people to stay where they don't want to be doesn't ever work out so well. There's always a lot of trouble down the line when you try to do that.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HonorableTB posted:

The situation with Russia is a lot more complex though. Crimea was a part of Russia long before it was a part of Ukraine. The Crimean Khanate was annexed into Russia in 1783 and Khrushchev gave it to Ukraine in 1954. The Crimean people were overwhelmingly in favor of being a part of Russia as opposed to being under Ukrainian control. 171 years of inundation with Russian culture and emigration gives a good reason for why Russia would want to take it back, as well as why Crimea should be allowed to secede from Ukraine and join the country they wish to. It doesn't matter what country it is, the Crimean people have the right to determine who they want to be ruled by (either self rule or rule under another country's government). Forcing a group of people to stay where they don't want to be doesn't ever work out so well. There's always a lot of trouble down the line when you try to do that.

Do you really believe that they had honest referendum about joining Russia?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Hogge Wild posted:

Do you really believe that they had honest referendum about joining Russia?

Honest or not, that's the way the vote went. Unless someone can prove the results of the vote were illegitimate, then it has to stand. If you can't prove election fraud, how can it be invalidated? Saying the election isn't valid because people don't like the results of it doesn't make it so. I'm more inclined to believe the results were in favor of Russia (though I also believe the election itself had the numbers skewed) because ethnically Russian Crimeans have been agitating against the Ukrainian government for decades.

Edit: Crimea's population is 58% ethnically Russians or Russians that immigrated there (either by choice or through Soviet deportation in the 30s/40s), which adds to my belief.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Riso posted:

In some muslim countries, like Egypt, they have TIMED marriages to avoid the whole adultery thing.

Abdullah you and Fatima are now married!. Congratulations. By the way it only lasts until dawn, have fun.

Iran legitimizes prostitution with the Shi'a legal fiction of temporary marriages. Their jurisprudence is fascinating, if you're interested in law.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HonorableTB posted:

Honest or not, that's the way the vote went. Unless someone can prove the results of the vote were illegitimate, then it has to stand. If you can't prove election fraud, how can it be invalidated? Saying the election isn't valid because people don't like the results of it doesn't make it so. I'm more inclined to believe the results were in favor of Russia (though I also believe the election itself had the numbers skewed) because ethnically Russian Crimeans have been agitating against the Ukrainian government for decades.

Edit: Crimea's population is 58% ethnically Russians or Russians that immigrated there (either by choice or through Soviet deportation in the 30s/40s), which adds to my belief.

Legality has nothing to do with it. The result stands because Putin wants it to.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

TheImmigrant posted:

Iran legitimizes prostitution with the Shi'a legal fiction of temporary marriages. Their jurisprudence is fascinating, if you're interested in law.

Are there notaries in brothels issuing marriage licenses, or how does it work?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Hogge Wild posted:

Are there notaries in brothels issuing marriage licenses, or how does it work?

Presumably marriage is a verbal contract.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

What the hell is this? Even if you ignore the Russian troops on the streets, the fact that the pro-Russian side had total control of local media and all of the blatant manipulation and intimidation going on, there's still the tiny detail that the only choice was between independence and de facto independence. It wasn't a legitimate referendum by any stretch of the imagination.

Note that I'm fairly sure most Crimeans really did want to secede, but that 'referendum' was meaningless.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HonorableTB posted:

The referendum was in blatant violation of the Constitution, so no, it doesn't have to stand just because it sort of happened.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Are you Russian, HonorableTB?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I will try to hit two stones with one bird.

[On] 16th of March we choose ... or ...

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

HonorableTB posted:

I agree, if the international community wanted to say the referendum was illegitimate or that fraud occurred they should really have sent some observers in or something.

Anyway, have a map:

The Indo-Gangetic plain stretching along the top from Pakistan to Bangladesh contains 1/7th of the world's population.

I can't find a scale, but even the light areas are pretty densely populated.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 17, 2014

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

XMNN posted:

I agree, if the international community wanted to say the referendum was illegitimate or that fraud occurred they should really have sent some observers in or something.

Anyway, have a map:

The Indo-Gangetic plain stretching along the top from Pakistan to Bangladesh contains 1/7th of the world's population.

I can't find a scale, but even the light areas are pretty densely populated.

Any idea about the green stuff?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

XMNN posted:

Well, they allowed in observers. Not the UN or whatever, but Russian and EU hard right wingers.

I'm sure they're impartial.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

And of course all that dense red area by the sea is very low and will be nicely ruined by a slight sea-level change. But I'm sure India can just import food and move those people.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Kennel posted:

Any idea about the green stuff?

The one in the west is the Rann of Kutch, a huge salt marsh, which might not have a permanent population and is apparently sometimes entirely submerged. I suspect the areas on the Ganges delta are similar. I don't actually know, though.

Whilst looking for the original source of that map to find out, I found this huge gallery of population density maps for the entire world, for all you map fans.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 17, 2014

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

XMNN posted:

Russia didn't want that, they had their own international committee of neo-nazi's and Russians.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm not Russian, I just think that the international community had plenty of opportunities to stop a so-called illegal vote from happening. They did nothing when they had the chance to influence things their way, but they neglected to do so and are now crying foul when things didn't go the way the West wanted them to go.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

I'm not Russian, I just think that the international community had plenty of opportunities to stop a so-called illegal vote from happening. They did nothing when they had the chance to influence things their way, but they neglected to do so and are now crying foul when things didn't go the way the West wanted them to go.

What opportunity did the west have besides going "no don't"?

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.

HonorableTB posted:

So, kind of like Putin didn't act when Yanukovich was on the brink of losing power so he cried Nazi and has ever since been systematically destabilizing and pulling apart Ukraine. How would the "international community" have stopped the vote or influenced it their way? There were Russian troops on every street corner, should the US and Germany have sent our troops to Crimea to protect the "fairness" of the vote? Would that have been better? Of course not. And as Phlegmish just said, the referendum was between two equivalent options anyway. Why are you bothering to make this needlessly contrarian point? Sure we can't prove that the pig circus election wasn't rigged, even if it wasn't, what does that actually change? You can't consider an election legitamite when the voters had a metaphorical gun to their heads and only one option to pick, even in the scenario that it was nominally a fair election.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

XMNN posted:

The one in the west is the Rann of Kutch, a huge salt marsh, which might not have a permanent population and is apparently sometimes entirely submerged. I suspect the areas on the Ganges delta are similar. I don't actually know, though.

Whilst looking for the original source of that map to find out, I found this huge gallery of population density maps for the entire world, for all you map fans.

The unpopulated parts of the Ganges delta are the Sundarbans, which are part of a national park.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Kosovo was an illegal vote, with a questionable quick recognition by third parties, while under the military "protection" of said third parties.

It's a legal mess just like the Crimea.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

HonorableTB posted:

You are aware that armed men repeatedly turned back observers as they tried to enter the Crimea, aren't you?

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

More maps.

Maybe not quite a map, Britain holding it's colonies.

More ww1 propaganda maps.

A map of Europe soon before the end of ww1. I find this one interesting because you can see where the stab-in-the-back myth comes from.

If the world was divided into regions with about the same population. It almost looks like a Europa Universalis Multiplayer session to me.

I'm pretty sure the origin for this map is German propaganda from the second world war.

The siege of Constantinople, now called Istanbul. Somewhat relevant because of the Golden Dawn in Greece.

The Empire of Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

lullelulle posted:

More maps.

I'm pretty sure the origin for this map is German propaganda from the second world war.

I can't tell if you're joking or not, but I doubt WWII Germany would have made a map that split out Austria, split up Yugoslavia, or predicted Kaliningrad so accutately.