Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

They do seem to be pretty on top of copyright issues and network news if that's something for you, but its usually limited to discussion about how it affects their ability to monetize all half a dozen people who care about their videos, so not much use beyond he headlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
The weird thing about recent LPers is how entrenched in a flooded market they are. Even on Fullscreen boards, you see posts like "I lost 3 subscribers out of my 11... why did they leave?" Even when I didn't give a poo poo about YouTube it seemed like you couldn't post a video without accidentally getting like 100 subscribers. Where did it all go wrong????

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Highwang posted:

In the case of Retsuprae, we've seen what those fans can do to a YT channel so I'd imagine a mailbag for RP would involve some nightmare fuel-tier material.

Simply put: depending on the personality, fans are kinda scary.

Yeah I'm pretty sure a Retsupurae mailbag would have ended in disgrace after a deranged fan sent in the skull and spine of a Harvester developer to commemorate the completion of the Harvester series.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Jazerus posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure a Retsupurae mailbag would have ended in disgrace after a deranged fan sent in the skull and spine of a Harvester developer to commemorate the completion of the Harvester series.

Honestly, this talk has made consider it. A fan made plush shrimp babies for us which was nice.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

slowbeef posted:

The weird thing about recent LPers is how entrenched in a flooded market they are. Even on Fullscreen boards, you see posts like "I lost 3 subscribers out of my 11... why did they leave?" Even when I didn't give a poo poo about YouTube it seemed like you couldn't post a video without accidentally getting like 100 subscribers. Where did it all go wrong????

I still blame partnership programs and MCNs for making people think they can get a "Job on YouTube" or something by playing video games. Now YouTube is like more than 40% video game content.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Here's a channel that I think could use a little more exposure:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Player2PressStartLP

It's the two friends playing games together model seen before. All they've played so far is basic stuff like Mario, Earthbound, and Pokemon but they've put some pretty good effort into their work. They've got some impressive editing skills and make sure to do the necessary research for the games they play. Also I like the high-spirited energy they bring to most of their LPs.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I somehow doubt they'd be the first one to figure out how to make a Pokemon VLP work.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

slowbeef posted:

Much like cryptocurrency, the market flooded with people mass producing content so there's all these excess LPs out there with no one "consuming them" so to speak.

Also, a friend of mine once said "Don't look at sub analytics, it'll drive you insane. Just make content" and I feel like that advice is pertinent now more than ever.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

slowbeef posted:

It takes a combination of dedication and skill (and a bit of luck) - most people that fail are lacking one or the other. Using myself as an example, I put out pretty basic content on a very irregular schedule, and have somehow managed to pick up 1100 subs in a year or so (and a good portion of those aren't goons).

I don't advertise my LPs either, so the people with < 100 subs after a year are definitely doing something wrong. One guy I know went from zero to 40k in the past year and a half, so it's definitely possible. He only does blind LPs, but they're acceptable quality video/audio/commentary and he plays all the new games and does 3 videos per day average.

If you're observant you can pick up on a lot of little factors that make a huge difference - but most people think throwing a video on the internet will make them successful. There's a huge turnover on LPers who realize it isn't easy - takes just as much time as a "real" job if you actually want to do it for a living.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
The interesting thing to me is Markiplier's meteoric rise. I honestly think he took the "best" of Pewdiepie and just modeled it. I make fun of him, but he's certainly more tolerable (and allegedly, a really good person in real life.)

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

slowbeef posted:

The interesting thing to me is Markiplier's meteoric rise. I honestly think he took the "best" of Pewdiepie and just modeled it. I make fun of him, but he's certainly more tolerable (and allegedly, a really good person in real life.)

He has a particularly good voice, which is one of the few innate advantages you can get when appealing to the "unedited reactionary facecam" crowd. I don't know a lot about him though because the one or two videos I tried watching were terribly contrived. A lot of people apparently don't mind faked "genuine" reactions though :shrug:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Honestly, this talk has made consider it. A fan made plush shrimp babies for us which was nice.

Allow me to make an effort to dissuade you from this idea.

*Ahem*

Dangan Ronpa

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Allow me to make an effort to dissuade you from this idea.

*Ahem*

Dangan Ronpa

I'd love a figurine or two from Dangan Ronpa! They're flammable right?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

slowbeef posted:

I'd love a figurine or two from Dangan Ronpa! They're flammable right?

For some reason I can easily imagine you next to a pile of Dangan Ronpa and other figurines, throwing a gas can (Or just the gas) onto the pile than lighting it while flipping the camera the bird.

Would still be funnier than a PDP episode

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Sell them all off to collectors, take the money as $1 bills, put it all in a pile and light that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

frozentreasure posted:

Sell them all off to collectors, take the money as $1 bills, put it all in a pile and light that.

After he makes it rain

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

frozentreasure posted:

I'll come up with ironic executions for all of them.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

slowbeef posted:

I'll come up with ironic executions for all of them.

I realized after a second that you meant the figurines, but I was picturing a bunch of origami Dagan Ronpa figures made from dollar bills. On fire.

Nksor
Feb 1, 2013

slowbeef posted:

I think meteoric is an understatement. In the past couple of months or so he's basically doubled his subscribers. The only channels beating in him in subs/day right now are the really huge ones like PewDiePie and some music channels and a couple of channels associated with big names.

He's raking in 10-12k subs/day on average.

Insetik
Mar 30, 2010

MERRY GLIZZMAS

slowbeef posted:

I've seen an example of this, and I'm pretty sure I know why. Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned THE GAMING GRAPES and thought it was funny that they made a personal video each time they got a subscriber. Now, admittedly, I did "lead them on", as I told a few people about them and gave them a 50% increase in subscribers overnight. They made a video where one of them fell to his knees in joy, and I thought "alright, that was funny".

Until they started putting out 15+ videos a day of '40 minute episodes of filmed TV gameplay and nothing but the ceiling fan to listen to'. Some of my friends didn't like their entire subscription feed taken up by GAMING GRAPES, and they've lost a few subs. They've slowed down a bit and peaked at 20 subs, but sorry kids, I don't really want to watch these really boring videos.

Nksor posted:

I think meteoric is an understatement. In the past couple of months or so he's basically doubled his subscribers. The only channels beating in him in subs/day right now are the really huge ones like PewDiePie and some music channels and a couple of channels associated with big names.

He's raking in 10-12k subs/day on average.

Some channels more based around funny moments in gameplay like Vanoss or KYR Speedy can get incredibly high subscriber rates too. I think Vanoss got a million subscribers in, what, a couple months? Maybe quicker?

Insetik fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 17, 2014

SnakemanMn
Apr 1, 2013

"What is green, slimy, and smells like bacon?"

Migeman posted:

I like watching all the informative, non blind, non live, LP's
Honestly, the style of LP I want to do/have dabbled with are that exact type of LP. I don't want to try to be humorous because it's a very dangerous game and you just gotta have a knack for it, and I don't want to assume I have that knack until I have enough feedback that would convince me that I do. I don't have that sort of feedback, nor am I anticipating it, so I prefer to take the informative approach. All of the games I have plans to LP are games that I have lots of experience with so I'll at least know what the hell I'm talking about when I get around to that. I prefer post-commentary as well because you don't have to deal with the dreaded "too busy playing video games to talk about them" effect, among other perks.

slowbeef posted:

I will make you regret that decision when I send lube to you and dave_o.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

frozentreasure posted:

So basically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JoQZs72JKE&t=46s

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I wish he had a military hat + combat vest. I'd totally believe it was Fidel Castro's nephew.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Yes. I really just want everyone to do this at least once in their respective lives. God, that was one of the greatest things he ever did.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40PoHrZ0mdQ

:stare: he's everywhere

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

And he's loving telling Gamingo not to use the facecam! Richard can't catch a break!

@Watch from 5:15

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 17, 2014

Migeman
Aug 1, 2011

SnakemanMn posted:

Honestly, the style of LP I want to do/have dabbled with are that exact type of LP. I don't want to try to be humorous because it's a very dangerous game and you just gotta have a knack for it, and I don't want to assume I have that knack until I have enough feedback that would convince me that I do. I don't have that sort of feedback, nor am I anticipating it, so I prefer to take the informative approach. All of the games I have plans to LP are games that I have lots of experience with so I'll at least know what the hell I'm talking about when I get around to that. I prefer post-commentary as well because you don't have to deal with the dreaded "too busy playing video games to talk about them" effect, among other perks.

That reminds of one the bits of advice I see people saying on that subreddit is complaining about 'dead air' and that it's bad if there silence, I don't know why they feel the need speak constantly.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Migeman posted:

That reminds of one the bits of advice I see people saying on that subreddit is complaining about 'dead air' and that it's bad if there silence, I don't know why they feel the need speak constantly.

Just thinking as I type here but I wonder of that's something we just have to expect, at least unless LP gets more mainstream than it is now.

Most of us on SA are a miniscule minority when it comes to most things LP, just compare PDP's views to the average SA LPer's. While this isn't news, it's something to keep in mind for the rest of my post.

The main audience for LP seems to be people in their teens to mid twenties (middle/high school and college) even here on SA, though I imagine we skew more heavily toward late teens to thirty due to the :10bux:, slightly higher quality requirement and a focus on the game over the LPer aside from the odd person out like Chip and Ironicus, Psychedelic Eyeball and Slowbeef. The commentary focused media exposure for people in the non-SA category is largely radio stations, news, reality shows and maybe the odd documentary they or, more likely, their parents watched. Aside from the documentaries these all have a primary focus on personality and a secondary, if not tertiary (gotta get those ad and viewer $$, whether or not we're fair and accurate doesn't matter), focus on the content. If you're not focused on the content and your viewers aren't there for it either, who cares if you talk over it or not? There's the odd person or media piece out here or there, of course, but they're largely few and far between.

This carries over to LP and I don't think we're going to see much difference until the older audience grows larger, as it's still incredibly young (This subforum is what, 8-10 years old? And how many years ago did YouTube make more than 10 minute videos uploadable by almost anyone, 3 or 4?). Even then I'm not sure it's going to change too much, as the video game industry hasn't really moved out from that age range in 30 years, with the exception of casual and Facebook games. It'll be interesting to see what LP looks like in 15-20 years from now, if it's even still around. Makes me wonder what people in their twenties to thirties 20 years ago thought where video games would be by 2014.

Onean fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 17, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

^^^Here's a study released last year that has some interesting data on people who play games. I don't necessarily believe all of it, but it looks like based on the survey 30 is the average age of a person who plays games, and the plurality of people playing games are 36 or older.

Migeman posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to minimize "dead air" in a video, most of my LPs feature me talking almost every second there isn't a cutscene or character dialog. My problem is the way a lot of "YouTube Best Practices" are useless space fillers like reading on screen text and the like. I'd love to see a YouTube only person keep their commentary to the game only without saying exactly what they are doing at that moment when they run out of other things to say.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 17, 2014

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Lazyfire posted:

^^^Here's a study released last year that has some interesting data on people who play games. I don't necessarily believe all of it, but it looks like based on the survey 30 is the average age of a person who plays games, and the plurality of people playing games are 36 or older.

Cool, thanks! I'll have to take a look at that when I'm not on my Kindle. Since I was off on the age group of gamers, I probably am on those that watch LPs as well. Oh well. Edit: It probably wasn't really worth much anyways.

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.

Lazyfire posted:

The charts for sales at the end of that thing are really missleading at first glance, As they compair retail sales of PC games (Computer Games) VS Console(Video games) But don't include digital sales in the PC games percentage, they put that down as "Other" Add the Other to the PC games sales and the market looks just as good as consoles.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Just posted this in the Sandcatle and got told to repost it here:

On Sunday the 27th Chip, me, Voidburger, Geop, and Kamoc will be holding a panel on LP at the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo, details here. I'd be really excited to see whoever can make it, but we know that's not practical for most people. Kamoc will be filming the whole thing and doing interviews. If you can't make it but want to participate you can submit a question. We'll be drawing questions from a hat during the Q&A, time permitting. Ask them here or on twitter or wherever else we'll see them. We've already got these so far.

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 17, 2014

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

General Ironicus posted:

On Sunday the 27th Chip, me, Voidburger, Geop, and Kamoc will be holding a panel on LP at the Chicago Comic and Entertainment Expo, details here. I'd be really excited to see whoever can make it, but we know that's not practical for most people. Kamoc will be filming the whole thing and doing interviews. If you can't make it but want to participate you can submit a question. We'll be drawing questions from a hat during the Q&A, time permitting. Ask them here or on twitter or wherever else we'll see them. We've already got these so far.

I got a good one too long for Twitter.

Games journalism has a history of being a bit sketchy, with companies outright paying for good reviews in the past. Lately, there's been controversy over things like non-monetary compensation; e.g. recently, the Watch Dogs developers gave away Nexus 7 tablets to journalists which is causing some minor controversy in terms of journalistic integrity and objective reviewing.

Okay.

Let's Players nowadays are also getting non-monetary compensation, not just in terms of free copies of games, but merchandise, and even flights/hotels from game companies to talk about/promote their games. Does this create a conflict of interest? Do LPers even have any sort of obligation to objectivity?

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

slowbeef posted:

Games journalism has a history of being a bit sketchy, with companies outright paying for good reviews in the past. Lately, there's been controversy over things like non-monetary compensation; e.g. recently, the Watch Dogs developers gave away Nexus 7 tablets to journalists which is causing some minor controversy in terms of journalistic integrity and objective reviewing.

Okay.

Let's Players nowadays are also getting non-monetary compensation, not just in terms of free copies of games, but merchandise, and even flights/hotels from game companies to talk about/promote their games. Does this create a conflict of interest? Do LPers even have any sort of obligation to objectivity?

I think it's different, because LPers are there to entertain people (even though they still are helping sell the game, in a way), while reviewers are there to make informed opinions about things that people may buy.

If an LPer gets some free stuff because someone wants them to play their game, I think that's fine. A reviewer? How will I know that won't affect what they think about the game, even subconsciously? "Huh, Ubisoft gave me this $200 tablet I don't need, they're pretty nice guys! I'll overlook some of these wacky glitches in my review of Watch_Dogs."

'Course, I don't think that applies to all reviewers! It's just you tend to be more positive when people do nice things for you, and that could reflect on reviews. Don't think the same applies to LPers, though.

EDIT: I'll try to think of a good question! Can't come up with one right now!

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 17, 2014

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
LPers receiving compensation is more akin to paid endorsements of products by celebrities, there's no expectation of neutrality or impartial analysis.

MGN001
May 12, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

I wanted to ask "How do you break into Jokes, and where do your LPs come from?" 'cause I'm bad at jokes and poo poo, but looks like you already have some of that in your list.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

unfair posted:

LPers receiving compensation is more akin to paid endorsements of products by celebrities, there's no expectation of neutrality or impartial analysis.

I'm going to bring this one up again: A few months back one of EA's YouTube challenges leaked. Apparently EA will pay qualified YouTube channels a bit extra to do specific videos; show off this thing, do that thing, etc. I have to imagine most game companies do the same thing.

One of the conditions on the challenge was that the video couldn't talk about bugs or glitches, or show them as they occurred. People didn't read the full text of what was on offer and came to believe that some of the bigger channels with Battlefield 4 content were being bought off by EA to not talk about problems with the game (and that game launched in really bad shape). People freaked right out. For some reason the "community" had put a lot of trust in these guys and depended on them for information and truth. This was apparently a huge betrayal of trust and you had people saying they would never watch another Jackfrags or Levelcap video again and poo poo.

People get stupid attached to YouTube personalities, so while it looks like it would be totally OK for them to endorse or take advantage of offers, they risk a lot of backlash for doing so.

valkhorn
Aug 24, 2013

slowbeef posted:

In all honesty, I'm genuinely curious if those ads do anything. I asked him on his channel and he said no, as far as new viewers.

I replied to you and this is what I said:

quote:

It's kind of an experimental trailer to be honest. I want to do something better one of these days - but this one is pretty much what you see is what you get. I have an alternative version of this trailer with shittier quality audio and a different background theme and it got picked up by fan finder and is genuinely giving me more traffic and subs right now. This trailer has helped me pick up a few collabs, and I've gotten compliments on it - and possibly subs that weren't picked up by analytics since they fell under channel subscribes, so I can't really complain. This trailer probably paints me as a better player than I probably am (even though I'm not terrible), so it'll probably change one day to something else anyway. I'm finding that a lot of YouTube is sometimes just throwing random things to the wall to see what sticks and what doesn't.

Ahem... 'is genuinely giving me more traffic and subs right now'...

Meaning both trailers that I made were sort of experimental. I have used adwords before just to see what it would do. It's my money and I can spend it however I please. Rest assured I didn't spend much. The latest push in stats as far as the channel trailers go is not from paid advertising whatsoever. It's due to FanFinder - which is something I got picked up for and it's genuinely giving me new active subscribers. I'm also getting subs from search results and suggested videos.

I have no control over where or how often the fanfinder trailers are played. But it's doing me a service and is giving me new traffic and new subscribers and genuine growth so I'm not going to turn it off. They do make adblockers for youtube. They are effective. Sorry if you find the channel trailer annoying but the returns are good and I'm not spending a dime for fanfinder so why would I complain? Plus it takes so long for fanfinder to update to another channel trailer, if ever, so that is something that is mostly beyond my control.

Gatz - the youtube contest I had for Super Mario All-Stars still got me subs and traffic, and although it wasn't the result I hoped for I still had submissions for the prize and still gave the prize away to a particular winner. In fact, I mentioned it in the final video for SMB3. Had you watched this, you would have known. It gave my channel somewhat of a boost and I'm fine with that.

I will not be posting threads in SA anymore. It's just not the audience I'm looking for anymore at this time. Nor is it an audience that is interested in what I do. Rather than cater myself to the SA audience, I just went looking elsewhere for an audience interested in me. Be glad you won't have to deal with my posts in the sandcastle anymore, or threads you can dislike and ignore. I can do the games I want to do, and you have other LPs you can watch and enjoy. It's a win-win for both of us.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

valkhorn posted:

I will not be posting threads in SA anymore. It's just not the audience I'm looking for anymore at this time. Nor is it an audience that is interested in what I do. Rather than cater myself to the SA audience, I just went looking elsewhere for an audience interested in me. Be glad you won't have to deal with my posts in the sandcastle anymore, or threads you can dislike and ignore. I can do the games I want to do, and you have other LPs you can watch and enjoy. It's a win-win for both of us.

Enjoy your burgeoning YouTube superstardom.

Guys, I have to tell you about this lovely LPer called valkhorn on YouTube...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need

Lazyfire posted:

I'm going to bring this one up again: A few months back one of EA's YouTube challenges leaked. Apparently EA will pay qualified YouTube channels a bit extra to do specific videos; show off this thing, do that thing, etc. I have to imagine most game companies do the same thing.

A while ago I remember a whole bunch of LP channels all played the Dead Space 3 demo on the same day, complete with reading the same bullet points from the back of the box.

• Locked thread