Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, it feels like some of the roads in Chicago are currently devoid of any government support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I'm sorry that Kaal and peepeepants made effortposts in relation to my joke. I'll throw in an ironicat next time.

Was just pointing out that the NIMBY people don't become bashful just because the road they're bitching about has been in the Master Plan for 40 years.

quote:

You're going to ruin my children's quiet enjoyment of that 100'-wide strip of forest! The forest with the sign in front of it that reads "XXX Road Right of Way, For More Information Call ###-####"!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Baronjutter posted:

The level of emotional politics behind republicans growing hate for transit is nearing abortion or gun control levels of invested emotion. I recently read some letter to the editor comparing transit to communism and tyranny. You see in a PERSONAL VEHICLE you own it, you control it, you have freedom of movement. Transit is the government telling you where you can go and forcing you to rely on government to get around rather than your own private property. Also I guess roads are totally free and divorced of any government dependence.

It is so stupid too. I am a car guy. I own 2 cars for one person (very wasteful). If I could take transit to my work, I would, but I live in the IE. I like driving, not commuting.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

nm posted:

It is so stupid too. I am a car guy. I own 2 cars for one person (very wasteful). If I could take transit to my work, I would, but I live in the IE. I like driving, not commuting.

And the damned thing is, more transit means less middle managers in kia's so the roads are freed up.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think they think it will be "forced" on them. The government will take their car away and give them a transit pass and their local walmart will be replaced with an open-air heirloom breed vegetable market. I've argued with people like this before. Even if you don't have any wish to ever take transit, having more of it in your area will free up the roads more for people who do like to drive, while taking people who hate driving but do it because they have to off the road. You expand the highway and developers are just able to sell houses farther and farther out of town and traffic stays just as bad.

Mostly it's just been added to the package of "culture war". That and class issues. Transit is for poors and scary minorities. I'm against spending money on those people and I most certainly don't want them to have an easier time getting to my house. Car-dependent development has worked well to segregate race and class and a lot of people want to keep it that way.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Thwomp posted:

Honestly, it feels like some of the roads in Chicago are currently devoid of any government support.

What, you don't like the annual pothole slalom?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

I think they think it will be "forced" on them.

One of my coworkers at the DOT had very rich parents and bragged about how he'd never in his life had to ride a bus, even to school. As someone who has probably spent a full month combined on buses or trains, I was absolutely dumbfounded. Some people just don't understand how critical mass transit is to low-income groups. Either that, or they just want to save a few cents. It really is criminal we don't have free mass transit around here. Most of our bus lines are 50-90% subsidized; why not make it 100% and vastly improve quality of life?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Koesj posted:

It depends on what country you're talking about.

Here in the Netherlands fortifications centered on cities were mostly feature-complete by the end of the 17th century. Then, with our relative economic decline, demographic stability, and late industrialisation, large-scale urban expansion only kicked off in the late 19th century. \

I live in one of the first planned 'suburbs' outside Groningen's old star fortress setup:

These days, only the northwestern parts of those fortifications still remain (as a park): https://www.google.com/maps/place/Groningen/@53.2179664,6.5662111,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x47c83286b462cca7:0xcb4b5086f9a6c8dc

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of Historische atlas van de stad Groningen, would you?

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Cichlidae posted:

One of my coworkers at the DOT had very rich parents and bragged about how he'd never in his life had to ride a bus, even to school. As someone who has probably spent a full month combined on buses or trains, I was absolutely dumbfounded. Some people just don't understand how critical mass transit is to low-income groups. Either that, or they just want to save a few cents. It really is criminal we don't have free mass transit around here. Most of our bus lines are 50-90% subsidized; why not make it 100% and vastly improve quality of life?

The city of Tallinn, Estonia did just that and found that it made people walk and bike less, but didn't really influence car use much. Their public transit agency could also use the lost revenue. Most of Tallinn's mass transit fleet is old as balls and the tram lines are in terrible shape.

I was there on a recreation trip with the rail department of our company and we watched with amazement as a tram rolled down a line section where half of the ballast had eroded and the tram swung from side to side as the unsupported rail bent under the weight of the tram. I can understand why many people don't use the trams despite them being free.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The city of Tallinn, Estonia did just that and found that it made people walk and bike less, but didn't really influence car use much. Their public transit agency could also use the lost revenue. Most of Tallinn's mass transit fleet is old as balls and the tram lines are in terrible shape.

I was there on a recreation trip with the rail department of our company and we watched with amazement as a tram rolled down a line section where half of the ballast had eroded and the tram swung from side to side as the unsupported rail bent under the weight of the tram. I can understand why many people don't use the trams despite them being free.

The studies that I've read have pointed to the quality of the service as being the most significant impact on transit demand elasticity, which probably had a significant impact on the Tallinn statistics. When my town of Corvallis implemented full fareless transit in 2011, it yielded an estimated 10% increase in ridership (technically there was a 40% increase in the first year, but much of that may be attributed to other factors) and paid for it via a ~$3 transit fee levied per household. But a big part of that is the fact that the buses work well, are clean, and run on time. And that was in a city where more than half of the riders were students and weren't paying fares in the first place. Other cities have yielded ridership increases of 20% - 30% due to going fareless.

Now of course some of those riders would be otherwise bicycling or walking, but I haven't seen any statistics indicating that Corvallis has seen a significant drop in usage. Corvallis has some of the highest per capita bicycle usage in the United States. Anecdotally, I know that many cyclists have been using the bus bike racks for hybrid transportation - biking down into the university/downtown area, and then riding the bus back up to their houses in the hills. It's a good way of extending the distance that people are willing to commute via bicycle.

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/handle/1957/44908
http://www.corvallisoregon.gov/index.aspx?page=175

Kaal fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 13, 2014

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Groda posted:

You wouldn't happen to have a copy of Historische atlas van de stad Groningen, would you?

Sure I do, I used it to prepare a tour of the city for some folks just yesterday :)

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

I think they think it will be "forced" on them. The government will take their car away and give them a transit pass and their local walmart will be replaced with an open-air heirloom breed vegetable market. I've argued with people like this before. Even if you don't have any wish to ever take transit, having more of it in your area will free up the roads more for people who do like to drive, while taking people who hate driving but do it because they have to off the road. You expand the highway and developers are just able to sell houses farther and farther out of town and traffic stays just as bad.

Mostly it's just been added to the package of "culture war". That and class issues. Transit is for poors and scary minorities. I'm against spending money on those people and I most certainly don't want them to have an easier time getting to my house. Car-dependent development has worked well to segregate race and class and a lot of people want to keep it that way.

I've heard the phrase "loot rail" used to oppose developments. The idea that a :ohdear: city dweller :ohdear: could now take the train to their house in the suburbs and break in.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
That concept is at least as old as MARTA.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

chmods please posted:

I've heard the phrase "loot rail" used to oppose developments. The idea that a :ohdear: city dweller :ohdear: could now take the train to their house in the suburbs and break in.

There was opposition to bringing the Purple Line light rail in Maryland through College Park (Univ of MD) for this reason. Thank god sanity won out, and there'll be a stop on campus.

Make sure to avoid major trip generators with transit! :ironicat:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

chmods please posted:

This exact argument was used in my town when the NJ River Line was being proposed. That said, seeing as how both ends of the line (Trenton and :gonk: Camden :gonk:) are decayed husks of industrial towns, I can see the appeal.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

chmods please posted:

The best part is when they turn around and say that the line wouldn't be good for burglars to use in a getaway, because it's too slow. :psypop:

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Koesj posted:

Sure I do, I used it to prepare a tour of the city for some folks just yesterday :)

I want this tour. :(

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hedera Helix posted:

The best part is when they turn around and say that the line wouldn't be good for burglars to use in a getaway, because it's too slow. :psypop:

Are you saying that being on a Light Rail train with video cameras is where you would want to be after committing a burglary?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Devor posted:

Make sure to avoid major trip generators with transit!

That's the mission statement for Miami-Dade Public Transit.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Devor posted:

Make sure to avoid major trip generators with transit! :ironicat:

Here in Minneapolis we're spending 1.6 billion dollars to build the green line on the left, because the blue line on the right is... something.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Volmarias posted:

This exact argument was used in my town when the NJ River Line was being proposed. That said, seeing as how both ends of the line (Trenton and :gonk: Camden :gonk:) are decayed husks of industrial towns, I can see the appeal.

There was a lady along the River Line who opposed it before it opened because her children played on the tracks and it would make doing so more dangerous.

Because apparently the freights that used to travel the line several times a day throughout the day (instead of just between 10pm and 6 am now) were "safe" to play on the tracks with.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

FISHMANPET posted:

Here in Minneapolis we're spending 1.6 billion dollars to build the green line on the left, because the blue line on the right is... something.

So, the blue line already exists, and green is proposed? Doesn't seem so bad. That $1.6B probably includes a lot of federal matching funds. And if the green line gets built, it enables more and denser development near the stations.

More trains for the train throne, more transit for the transit god :black101:

Fake edit: And since it's light rail (means it has crossings with other traffic), I imagine that blue route gets hosed when there's traffic. Green route follows an existing rail route, so you'll have a much faster route for through travelers, making the route north and south of these limits much more attractive.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I think he means that the blue route is not built, and is not getting built, because of blacks poors congestion!

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 14, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Volmarias posted:

I think he means that the blue route is not built, and is not getting built, because of blacks poors congestion!

Oh, I see! Here's a good map

http://www.startribune.com/newsgraphics/186373231.html

I'm going to have to side with the planners because they always know what's best.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, neither of those colored lines exist. It's a choice between those two routes to get the line out to the suburbs. Bonus points, the green line goes through an area that has freight rail and a bike path, and because reasons, we're going to build a tunnel for the light rail to go in.

E: Blue line would have been tunneled from Hennepin to 28th, and from 28th to West Lake we have an old freight ROW, so it would actually be exclusive ROW. But the tunnels were too expensive, so we're building through a park where... we have to tunnel.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 14, 2014

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

FISHMANPET posted:

If it's on surface streets, the blue line would probably work better as a streetcar route or as a hybrid. It could serve as a feeder line for the line they're putting in now, and would serve already-established districts instead of waiting for transit-oriented development to spring up.

fake edit: Oh, it follows a freeway, and the Star Tribune is listing it as BRT instead of light rail. They've also rerouted it away from Uptown. Wonderful.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The orange line is a separate Freeway BRT project from the Southwest Corridor.

There were two routes through the city that came out on top of the Alternatives Analaysis, 3A (the green line to the west) and 3C (the blue line to the east). The 3A line was going to be about 1.1 billion, the 3C line was going to be about 1.6 billion. Because the route was chosen under Bush era requirements that prioritized shortening commutes of new transit riders over improving commutes of existing transit users.

Anyway, we chose 3A, which happens to go through the Democratic majority's wealthiest neighborhoods, and they objected to change. There was a 10 or 15 year old plan to move freight rail out of the 3A corridor, but apparently it was never workable, so now we have to fit the freight, light rail, and bike trail in a constrained space. "Bikers" didn't want the bike trail moved or elevated in the choke points, so we're building a shallow tunnel that puts the light rail underground, bringing the total cost to around 1.6-1.8 billion dollars. As a policy aid to the mayor said, “There are folks who are extraordinarily invested in validating the process that has brought us to this point.”

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So, instead of building small bridges for the bicycles, they're building tunnels, for the godamned trains?

:laffo:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

MrYenko posted:

So, instead of building small bridges for the bicycles, they're building tunnels, for the godamned trains?

:laffo:

I think the bigger issue is the freight rail. Railroads are not reasonable to work with, ever, in any way. Most of the articles mention that the alignment was predicated on re-routing the freight rail through St Louis, but that got spiked by St Louis and the railroad.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Varance posted:

"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong." - Voltaire

Man, seriously. Story of my career.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Cichlidae posted:

Man, seriously. Story of my career.
Ever since I got into transit, I've had to teach myself how to nudge instead of push. Baby steps, because anything else is too scary for Joe Average or too uncomfortable for Joe Politician.

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 14, 2014

mamosodiumku
Apr 1, 2012

?
One day bridge replacement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OffbHNspHQ

Those are some fancy looking bridge moving trucks.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

mamosodiumku posted:

One day bridge replacement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OffbHNspHQ

Those are some fancy looking bridge moving trucks.

Why don't we do this sort of thing more often in the US?

There's a bridge replacement on I-40 here in Oklahoma that's been under construction for months.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ConfusedUs posted:

There's a bridge replacement on I-40 here in Oklahoma that's been under construction for months.

That question is kind of like asking "why don't we have NASCAR pit crews to change everyone's tires at Sears to speed things up". It's really neat and amazing how fast they can do it, but it costs a lot of money, and its primary benefit is that you don't have as much impact to traffic on the road in question. In most cases that's not necessary, because you can phase bridge work so that the road can stay open and not pay $Texas.

As for a bridge that's been under construction for months, they are probably rehabbing an existing bridge which costs MUCH less than completely replacing it. It's very labor intensive, however, so would not be surprising that it could be under construction for a long time.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Varance posted:

Ever since I got into transit, I've had to teach myself how to nudge instead of push. Baby steps, because anything else is too scary for Joe Average or too uncomfortable for Joe Politician.

Transit, man. In Vancouver we have the busiest bus corridor in North America, but the amount of opposition that's come up to building an LRT or underground alternative is so depressing.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Plans-and-Projects/Rapid-Transit-Projects/UBC-Line-Rapid-Transit-Study.aspx

And by busiest I mean that during rush hour there are articulated buses packed to capacity running as fast as they can load, and that's still not enough.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

ConfusedUs posted:

Because it costs more and nobody has an incentive to pay for the time you lose taking a detour. Railway construction around here is all about minimizing downtime, because the infrastructure manager has to pay the operators a massive refund every time a train has to be cancelled due to maintenance. With road, nobody really cares, because the road user can at most write an angry letter to their representative.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Can any of you folks think of a good way to show LOS or speed along a 3-mile corridor with 4 freeways and ~100 ramps without it getting too confusing?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

When it makes sense, they do it, like the I-93 Fast 14 project in Massachusetts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RaikfAA5g8&t=255s

That was weekends, not overnight, but still pretty fast.

The general preference for larger bridges is to build one half of the new bridge alongside the existing bridge, then move half the lanes to it, then demolish those old lanes and build the other half of the new bridge. That way you never lose capacity, and can use most of the existing right-of-way... but it takes twice as long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Cichlidae posted:

Can any of you folks think of a good way to show LOS or speed along a 3-mile corridor with 4 freeways and ~100 ramps without it getting too confusing?

Would a width mapping like Tufte's beloved Napoleonic Russian Campaign map work?

If your problem is occlusion, you could try mapping it to a graph with edges for each road section, and then fiddling with different graph layouts. Cytoscape is free and would let you do that.