Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What does that make 5 Series owners? :v:

Anyways, Z cars are hilariously fun, but (and I am not trying to be on the AI fap fest about the Miata's) look at the Miata. Cheaper, easier to look after and takes to mods well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Z cars are for hairdressers and M cars are for pricks that use hairdressers.

What if, in sofullofhate's case, you drive a car that is both a Z and and M?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I saw this guy yesterday, he was like 70. Not sure if he was a retired hairdresser.

If you're not driving an M you're not driving the Ultimate Driving Machine. Might as well be horse and buggy.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I think I might be a hairdressing prick who uses hairdressers?

It's a hardtop. Does that change anything?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What does that make 5 Series owners? :v:

Anyways, Z cars are hilariously fun, but (and I am not trying to be on the AI fap fest about the Miata's) look at the Miata. Cheaper, easier to look after and takes to mods well.

I already... I... well hey, I can look down snobbishly on Miata owners, amirite? Because Z4MC.

Thanks, BrokenKnucklez!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

sofullofhate posted:

I think I might be a hairdressing prick who uses hairdressers?

It's a hardtop. Does that change anything?

I already... I... well hey, I can look down snobbishly on Miata owners, amirite? Because Z4MC.

Thanks, BrokenKnucklez!

No, the correct pecking order is

1. MG-B
2. Miata
3. S2000
3.5 Nissan Z Cars (they might be on the same level as BMW, but LOL Chrysler of Japan)
4. BMW Z Cars
5. Lotus
6. F1 car.

Edit: Fixed pecking order

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 17, 2014

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

No, the correct pecking order is

1. MG-B
2. Miata
3. S2000
4. Z Cars
5. Lotus
6. F1 car.

:golfclap:

loving Lewis Hamilton thinks his car is some hot poo poo. Well he's got another think coming. gently caress yeah. I got some eBay headers for my car and I'm gonna blow his doors off roof off dammit. I just realized that's a hairdryer reference. loving hairdresser's car! I wish I wasn't such a poor and could afford a REAL CAR like an 8 series... :(

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Popete posted:

I saw this guy yesterday, he was like 70. Not sure if he was a retired hairdresser.

If you're not driving an M you're not driving the Ultimate Driving Machine. Might as well be horse and buggy.

We were :spergin: about the differences between the Euro model miseryboxes and what the US is sold, and I have to say that BMW sells cars here that, consistent across their entire range, handle well on the road compared to their peers. Even the X models drive well for SUVs. If I'm at the rental counter and I ask for an upgrade, I'll take the 3/5 over the infiniti G or Merc.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
The new title is glorious, especially since I'm one of the poors who can't afford to drive anything but a Civic (3 series).

E- good news for the rest of us poors:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-gets-the-228i-back-on-track-with-new-track-handling-package-2014-new-york-auto-show/

They're making a handling package for the 228i that includes a mechanical steering rack again, hooray! I guess even BMW has realized that they're not fooling anyone into thinking the electric assist feels as nice as the old hydraulic racks.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 17, 2014

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
Heh, what's up fellow aristocracy? New five series owner checking in :smuggo:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is that the loaner they gave you while your 7 series is being fixed?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
At least my F10 5 series has a proper MT it was sort of dumb to order on this luxo-barge and now nobody wants to buy it.

I really wish I could melt my F10 and E90 together and make something that is literally in between them every single measurable category (except speed of course).

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Keyser S0ze posted:

At least my F10 5 series has a proper MT it was sort of dumb to order on this luxo-barge and now nobody wants to buy it.

I really wish I could melt my F10 and E90 together and make something that is literally in between them every single measurable category (except speed of course).

Don't forget class!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

sofullofhate posted:

Friends, I have a problem - the series-snobbery hasn't elucidated the status of Z-cars, nor M-cars. I have no idea to whom I should be bowing / scraping and to whom I may gaze downwards / sneer at. A little help, please?

PS if it helps I'm a poor who parks his car in a common shared lot that isn't even attached to his apartment building. :( :(

New m3s are okay, old m3s(e46 and below) are only ok if they're not your primary car and in the process of restoration/track conversion.

Hth

swampnutz
Oct 30, 2005

Is this flywheel noise? It's an '02 M5 grandpa-mobile .. clutch and flywheel were replaced by PO @ indy shop 3 years/20000 miles ago.

https://vimeo.com/91744757

Was under the car last weekend and couldn't find anything obviously loose.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

swampnutz posted:

Is this flywheel noise? It's an '02 M5 grandpa-mobile .. clutch and flywheel were replaced by PO @ indy shop 3 years/20000 miles ago.

https://vimeo.com/91744757

Was under the car last weekend and couldn't find anything obviously loose.

does it change consistently with revs? it sounds like a loose cat heat sheild.

swampnutz
Oct 30, 2005

Powershift posted:

does it change consistently with revs? it sounds like a loose cat heat sheild.

It sounds about the same up thru 1400rpm or so, then disappears. I'll have a look at those shields, thx.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Keyser S0ze posted:

I drove a Genesis this past week and it reminded me why I hate automatic transmissions so much. If the ZF 8 speed is as crisp as Chris Harris says I could be swayed in the appropriate vehicle, but I was just thinking this afternoon that I would drive less aggressively if my daily was something more luxury-oriented. My very next thought was "crap, I'd have to buy an automatic, and gently caress that" so I imagine someone will come along eventually grateful you optioned it that way.

A friend pointed out the new M3/M4 is on BMWUSA.com today, and I saw the default transmission is now the DCT :rolleyes:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
To be fair, how many years was the E60 M5 out before they relented and offered a manual (and only to North America, at that). They've been trying for years to foist their SMGs and DCTs on all the M cars, it's just that since so few cars are offered with manuals anymore in North America, and the type of owner who buys M cars in the US has such a large overlap with people who enjoy rowing their own, that there'a always a huge outcry when sticks aren't offered in the performance models. If it was like Europe where 90% of all the cars are stick, the enthusiasts would be less desperate for any kind of car that offers a third pedal.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Das Volk posted:

A friend pointed out the new M3/M4 is on BMWUSA.com today, and I saw the default transmission is now the DCT :rolleyes:

At least they give you $2900 back when you deselect it rather than making the MT a no cost option like on lesser 3 series.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Das Volk posted:

I drove a Genesis this past week and it reminded me why I hate automatic transmissions so much. If the ZF 8 speed is as crisp as Chris Harris says I could be swayed in the appropriate vehicle, but I was just thinking this afternoon that I would drive less aggressively if my daily was something more luxury-oriented. My very next thought was "crap, I'd have to buy an automatic, and gently caress that" so I imagine someone will come along eventually grateful you optioned it that way.

The 8 speed is perfect in the F10 and F30's I've driven. The MT is basically just in the way now (at least for F10) although I haven't tried it in an 550/M5. Be thankful you can still even select manual transmission on the M3/M4 and save $2,900 over the DCT!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
e36 M3 oil question, what do you guys use? I'm in Wisconsin but the car isn't driven in winter. I changed it last year with 5w30 BMW oil from Turner. I need to top it off and I'll probably do a change soon but reading online it seems as if everyone uses a different weight.

swampnutz
Oct 30, 2005

Popete posted:

e36 M3 oil question, what do you guys use? I'm in Wisconsin but the car isn't driven in winter. I changed it last year with 5w30 BMW oil from Turner. I need to top it off and I'll probably do a change soon but reading online it seems as if everyone uses a different weight.

I've been using Mobil 1 0w-40 in my '97 M3 for 5+ years, year round. It's been a long time since I slogged thru the 7,301 oil threads on various BMW boards, but I do remember learning that essentially, you want an oil that meets the BMW LL-01 spec. M1 0W-40 is one that does; there are others out there, Castrol's "euro formula" 0W-30 being one of them.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
0W40, about to switch to 15W50 due to lifter tick.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Whoring out my old man car. Put the M5 rear sway bar on and man... what a difference. Immediately noticed a difference. I've always been a big fan of softer shocks/heavier roll bars and this doesn't do anything to dissuade me.

Also, whoring out my detailing job, so white that I expect it to say something racist:

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

HotCanadianChick posted:

The new title is glorious, especially since I'm one of the poors who can't afford to drive anything but a Civic (3 series).

E- good news for the rest of us poors:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/bmw-gets-the-228i-back-on-track-with-new-track-handling-package-2014-new-york-auto-show/

They're making a handling package for the 228i that includes a mechanical steering rack again, hooray! I guess even BMW has realized that they're not fooling anyone into thinking the electric assist feels as nice as the old hydraulic racks.

From what I've read it is just a re-branding/packaging of options already available on the 228i today, with the addition of non-RFT from the factory. The "mechanical steering rack" is the same that is found in the m235i. It's still boosted electronically, not hydraulically, if that's what you were all hooray about.

Still, the 228i is a pretty sweet little car.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Popete posted:

Not the same obviously with an e30, but I'm also in Wisconsin. I go 10w40 for spring to fall and 0w40for winter. Both the m42 and m20 like the thicker oil, but need to go thinner for cold weather.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

Also, whoring out my detailing job, so white that I expect it to say something racist:

Im making a trip to where ever you live to have you do the detail work on my vehicles. Between the MR2 and this... I am just wowed.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Im making a trip to where ever you live to have you do the detail work on my vehicles. Between the MR2 and this... I am just wowed.

Thanks, it helps when you start out with quality, never-painted/damaged specimens!

clean-e39.jpg

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Urgent problem

My window regulator just popped and the window is stuck down. Since I park the car on the street, it's totally unsecured until Tuesday (due to public holidays - no mechanics open). Any suggestions? (I'm in Sydney if that helps).

Plan B is to open the door card, cut through the seal and see if I can manually jam it closed

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Call a friend with a garage and see if you can park it securely somewhere?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
none of my friends have garages :(

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Window down three day road trip.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I seriously thought about it.

At least it's 0% chance of precipitation for the next 4 days.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Postal posted:

Plan B is to open the door card, cut through the seal and see if I can manually jam it closed
This but try to peel back the seal if possible so you can reuse it.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

ynotony posted:

From what I've read it is just a re-branding/packaging of options already available on the 228i today, with the addition of non-RFT from the factory. The "mechanical steering rack" is the same that is found in the m235i. It's still boosted electronically, not hydraulically, if that's what you were all hooray about.

Still, the 228i is a pretty sweet little car.

Unless something has changed recently, all "electric" steering systems still have a steering column going to a geared rack, just like they do with hydraulic or unassisted steering. They have to, so in the event of a failure of the hydraulic/electric system you don't lose control of the front wheels.

Saying your car has a "mechanical steering rack" is akin to boasting that your car has 4 wheels.

Having driven an M235i I will say that the steering isn't as good as other electric systems, notably the FR-S/BRZ. The engine and 8-speed auto however are brilliant.

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
I just bought a 2003 745i for a stupidly low price. Like, really, ridiculously stupid low. Gave them my 330i too as a trade, so I upgraded 415i's!

more pictures when I go pick it up tomorrow

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess I'm not hip to 7ers. If someone were to show me that picture, I'd assume it was a fake BMW.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Nait Sirhc posted:

I just bought a 2003 745i for a stupidly low price. Like, really, ridiculously stupid low. Gave them my 330i too as a trade, so I upgraded 415i's!

more pictures when I go pick it up tomorrow

That's money right there yo, a REAL BMW

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I guess I'm not hip to 7ers. If someone were to show me that picture, I'd assume it was a fake BMW.

It is a fake BMW, see?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cojawfee posted:

This was that controversial "Bangle" BMW. The E38 actually saw sales spike before it was released.