Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

It's a literal sack of poo poo. With a colossal penis

I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SedanChair posted:

I believe.

You see what you want to see.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

A Winner is Jew posted:

And if Hillary is Cersei, would that make Chelsea Myrcella as the first born daughter or Joffrey as first born?

I guess that now depends on whether Myrcella ever interrupts the King's speech to announce she's pregnant.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

E: Actually that comparison doesn't add up well. None of these comparisons add up well. Reagan was Aerys II, taking power on an upswing and spending the rest of his reign slipping further into mental illness as he destroys the kingdom.

His descendants and what's left of the people that took over his throne are inbred shitheels who have an obsession about debts.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 17, 2014

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Swan Oat posted:

I went to Trader Joes yesterday and the person working the checkout lane was named Arya.

Was she born before 1996?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
GOP Morghulis should be the May thread title

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Boon posted:

Was she born before 1996?

She looked like she was in her mid 20s so maybe she's just a fan of the show :shrug: I just wanted to fit in with the conversation.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Awww looks like the chances of ending this terrible world in cleansing nuclear fire just got a bit more remote. :smith:

Well well well it appears that 35% of people that signed up for the ACA were under 35. If you exclude people who got health insurance through their parents and just straight signups on the exchange or Medicaid, 18-34 year-olds make up 28% of all enrollees. Also the new new total is 8 million total signups. WAY TO FAIL OBUMMER-DON'T-CARE.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 17, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FAUXTON posted:

JFK Jr. is Joffrey.

Actually if we're looking for someone who's first born, an entitled piece of poo poo, has no idea how the world works, is a sadistic rear end hole, hates everyone he is suppose to serve, doesn't listen to the more intelligent people around him but instead openly mocks and antagonizes them, and who everyone wants to kill if they could get away with it I'd look no further than the junior senator from Texas.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

I guess that now depends on whether Myrcella ever interrupts the King's speech to announce she's pregnant.

Hahaha wait, what?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The Warszawa posted:

Hahaha wait, what?
Chelsea announced she was pregnant today at the end of a join event with Hillary. So not quite an interruption.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 17, 2014

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Awww looks like the chances of ending this terrible world in cleansing nuclear fire just got a bit more remote. :smith:

Well well well it appears that 35% of people that signed up for the ACA were under 35. If you exclude people who got health insurance through their parents and just straight signups on the exchange or Medicaid, 18-34 year-olds make up 28% of all enrollees. Also the new new total is 8 million total signups. WAY TO FAIL OBUMMER-DON'T-CARE.

Only 28%? That's another 72% to go, Obongo! :freep:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Winner is Jew posted:

Actually if we're looking for someone who's first born, an entitled piece of poo poo, has no idea how the world works, is a sadistic rear end hole, hates everyone he is suppose to serve, doesn't listen to the more intelligent people around him but instead openly mocks and antagonizes them, and who everyone wants to kill if they could get away with it I'd look no further than the junior senator from Texas.

There's one minor difference though, and the country and the world are not nearly lucky or just enough to resolve it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FAUXTON posted:

There's one minor difference though, and the country and the world are not nearly lucky or just enough to resolve it.

Well, give it time. Though it will probably end up more like Jon Snow at the end of the last book.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Urdnot Fire posted:

Chelsea announced she was pregnant today at the end of a join event with Hillary. So not quite an interruption.

Congratulations kid, you're a second-generation nobody.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Broken Box posted:

Hillary is Brienne, Palin is Cersei.

And Biden is Bronn.

Hell with that. Diamond Joe is Podrick. Ladies.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Somewhere in New York, Andrew Sullivan opens a trunk of rich mahogany, the clasp opening and the dust settling and the wind breathing "Oakeshott". He reaches in, pulling out the deerstalker and magnifying glass he once was shamed into discarding.

"Not again," he whispers. "Never again."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Marcus Bachmann is Loras.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

Nothing on these last two pages makes any sense at all to me.

Congrats on having had sex at some point in your life. I'm lost here too. Assuming this is about some Dragons & poo poo type book.

SedanChair posted:

Congratulations kid, you're a second-generation nobody.

Surely NBC has a job lined up for the little tyke already.

e: From a few pages back but:

Joementum posted:

Here's a very interesting study on how demographic shifts affect party identification and the (possible) bad news for the Democratic party:

But you should read the whole article.

quote:

It is easy to see how that sort of implicit association in the minds of Asian Americans could bolster their Democratic loyalties. However, such experiences of social exclusion based on ethnicity will probably be less common in 20 years, when there are likely to be 50 percent more Asian Americans and 50 percent more Hispanic Americans than there are now. In that respect, the very fact of increasing ethnic diversity may blunt the political force of minority identities.

:laffo: Was this guy born in a coma only to miraculously wake up right before he wrote this piece yesterday morning?

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 18, 2014

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I'd have loved to go to Cal instead just to take a class taught by Reich.

Here's his blog, for reference, and here's him smacking down Sippy Cupp.

Hello Obama, us conservatives have been talking about income inequality for 40 years. How nice of you to join us. :smuggo:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Tennessee joins the 19th Century today.

quote:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The state House has voted to express "profound regret" for slavery and segregation in Tennessee, but stopped short of an outright apology.

The chamber voted 97-0 in favor of the resolution sponsored by Democratic Rep. Mike Turner of Nashville.

The measure decries what it calls the "fundamental injustice, brutality, and inhumanity of slavery and the discrimination that was slavery's legacy."

The Republican-controlled chamber removed language from the original resolution that sought to offer "profound apologies" for slavery.

Sorry slaves! That was real bad, and it's unfortunate it happened, but poo poo happens, ya know? Not our fault, per se.

Also too, ditto Native Americans. They approved a resolution regretting that whole genocide business.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Marcus Bachmann is Loras.

What no. I don't have heartpounding erotic dreams about Marcus Bachmann.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Joementum posted:

Tennessee joins the 19th Century today.

Sorry slaves! That was real bad, and it's unfortunate it happened, but poo poo happens, ya know? Not our fault, per se.

Also too, ditto Native Americans. They approved a resolution regretting that whole genocide business.

If you're not going to actually apologize, what's the loving point? What a bunch of assholes, even when they try to do the right thing it turns out offensive.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

100% chance they removed the apology language because they weren't directly slave owners. Because they are children.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Regret without apology is such a selfish washing away of transgressions.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

100% chance they removed the apology language because they weren't directly slave owners. Because they are children of slave owners.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Warszawa posted:

Hillary is Cersei, Janet Reno is Brienne because she's a stone cold badass. Rahm Emanuel is Littlefinger.

RFK is Ned Stark, Jimmy Carter is Howland Reed, Reagan is Aerys II, George H.W. Bush is Rhaegar. George W. Bush is Aegon, Cheney is Jon Connington.

Obama is Daenerys - you've got dragons man loving do SOMETHING.

Sotomayor is the Hound, Kagan is Arya Stark, Thurgood Marshall is Jaqen.

HW Bush is Jon Arryn and Bush Jr is Robin Arryn. :colbert:

mdemone posted:

You GoT folks always make me itch to read the books but I'm damned if I'll start another 5000-page fantasy series with all the great stuff that's already piling up on my to-read stack.

You could go read the Riftwar Series. It's going to be more than 5000 pages but it's finished and you won't be left waiting a decade for the last two books.

The Warszawa posted:

Shocking absolutely no one, Ezra Klein is wrong.

On the other hand, like Bush, she gets herself in a mess with no clear way out and causes a shitload of horrible suffering for countless people due to her shortsightedness. Her crusade against slavery pretty much results in established cities being wiped out and the liberated people put in an equal or worse position while everyone else who was ok is now in a much worse off place. Even before the pale rider becomes an issue. So yeah, Dany in Iraq fits.

Nessus posted:

I gather GRRM has provided HBO with an outline for at least a conclusion to the storyline in case he dies, ascends to Wiener Heaven, and HBO is left finishing up the series on their own. So there's that at least.

The guys directing the show have stated (multiple times) that GRRM has told him how he plans to end the series, so they can finish the show even when he doesn't finish the books.

e: Palin is Osha.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
'Tis a mystery, this.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

(The problem with GoT is that they're actually fairly well written, especially by the common standards of fantasy doorstoppers, but Martin is both abusive to his readers and indolent to the point that he will die before the series is finished).

Here's an actual line from the book. This is the point where I stopped reading the first one and refused to go on.

quote:

Once, the scent of battle clung to him like perfume. Now it was perfume that clung to him like perfume.

Don't read GoT, y'all.

Joementum posted:

'Tis a mystery, this.

We have to start World War 3 before Russia does! Who knows how bad it could get if we're not in control of it? :ohdear:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

'Tis a mystery, this.

Who just stretches out a tweet like that? Scandalous. Tighten it up.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Said Richard Cohen.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

Who just stretches out a tweet like that? Scandalous. Tighten it up.

Its not even like it would be unreadable under 140 characters.

"If the US can't interfere in the Ukraine - a sovereign nation - without starting WW3, how did Russia?"

Barely more than 100 characters.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Naet posted:

Regret without apology is such a selfish washing away of transgressions.

Of all the billions of turns of public discourse, did anyone go about concisely phrasing this? Specifically when you wrong someone, they come to you upset, and you say "I'm sorry I upset you" instead of "I'm sorry I raped your children". It's shifting blame to the other party, as they're the ones who got upset, while simultaneously publicly declaring yourself absolved of guilt because you apologized. It's incredibly slimy. Also an incredibly effective way to generate a sincere apology when you don't think you were in the wrong, because it flies under 99% of people's radars and you honestly would be happier if they didn't get upset.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I honestly like the passive for this, like "mistakes were made".

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I honestly like the passive for this, like "mistakes were made".

When I learn how to use an ambiguous phrase as a simultaneous dog whistle for everyone in ear shot, I will rule this pale blue dot.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 18, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's almost like their cripple-rear end ideology has its own cripple-rear end mode of language.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

ufarn posted:

Except for the whole paying off the debt thing.

The crowns debt ballooned under Tywin who clearly felt that deficits don't matter.

A Lannister always pays his personal debts ... With the money he cheerfully profiteered off the crown by virtue of influencing it's spending.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ogmius815 posted:

Incidentally I know a lot of law schools students who go to elite schools and swear up and down that the conservative justices never do anything like that and have totally reasonable and consistent judicial philosophies. I've heard more than one express admiration for Justices Scalia and Thomas. How can such smart people believe such stupid things?

This comes up a lot. Clarence Thomas is probably the most consistent justice on the court. (Scalia is... not.)

Thomas proceeds from incredibly strange logical premises and will never agree with anyone else's reasoning, but I can't really think of a time that he's compromised his jurisprudential principles. Certainly not on affirmative action, because his inclinations and jurisprudence are in agreement there: affirmative action and forcible desegregation are unconstitutional full stop, end of conversation.

Edit: actually I think he stopped short of saying Brown v Board was hogwash, and he does recognize some of the really extreme abuses, but that last line is milder hyperbole than it should be about a SCOTUS justice.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 18, 2014

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Fulchrum posted:

Its not even like it would be unreadable under 140 characters.

"If the US can't interfere in the Ukraine - a sovereign nation - without starting WW3, how did Russia?"

Barely more than 100 characters.

I refuse to follow anyone on Twitter who uses those tweet-extender links or splits tweets up. It's like a jazz drummer using one of those ridiculous 80's metal kits, it's just all wrong and against the whole point.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

GreyjoyBastard posted:

This comes up a lot. Clarence Thomas is probably the most consistent justice on the court. (Scalia is... not.)

Unfortunately being consistently terrible isn't really praiseworthy, so it doesn't fully answer his question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Neremworld posted:

Unfortunately being consistently terrible isn't really praiseworthy, so it doesn't fully answer his question.

Thomas is probably the most interesting person on the court as far as legal philosophy goes. The rest of the Court pretty much falls into fairly standard philosophical lines, and compromises them when they want to. Thomas's philosophy is unique on the Court, and relatively unique in the legal profession, and absolutely deserves admiration even if you don't agree with it; at the end of the day, he's probably the member of this edition of the Court who has made the most contribution to legal philosophy.

Only stupid people think Thomas is unprincipled or stupid. (Only uneducated or inattentive people think Scalia is smart, on the other hand.)

• Locked thread