Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pretty great, but getting more crew is a bit of a pain since you've got to section parts off to o2/no o2 areas and Lanius crew only come from abandoned sector events. Running with a full Lanius crew would be nice, but improbable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Lanius B is great if you pick up some extra crew members to man the systems and use your starting Lanius as a boarding crew.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Is firing all weapons as they're ready actually *not* the most efficient way to fire them? I noticed that firing some, and then another after a slight delay actually insures they all reach their target at the same time rather in scattered bursts (due to the travel time of the projectile)

Is there any way to insure that all your weapons are firing at the most efficient time junctures?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is firing all weapons as they're ready actually *not* the most efficient way to fire them? I noticed that firing some, and then another after a slight delay actually insures they all reach their target at the same time rather in scattered bursts (due to the travel time of the projectile)

Is there any way to insure that all your weapons are firing at the most efficient time junctures?

Manual control. If you gauge how long it takes systems to recover/shields to pop back up then you can set up efficient cycles with autofire, but that isn't always possible.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Renegret posted:

Holy hell I hate the Mantis A. I was so excited to use it when I unlocked a Mantis ship but it's lack of firepower is such a liability if you face a situation where you can't comfortably board, or face an automated drone.

Is it Mantis A that also gives you a boarding drone? You send that guy over to the auto ship and watch it slowly hit everything. Anytime it puts a system in the red it does 1 hull hp of damage. The drone eventually auto repairs, your drone goes and smacks that system back into the red and does hull damage again. Eventually boom.

Also with lvl2 teleport you can send non rock/crystal/lantis crew over as long as you immediately bring them back once the teleport cool down is over.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

LethalGeek posted:

Is it Mantis A that also gives you a boarding drone? You send that guy over to the auto ship and watch it slowly hit everything. Anytime it puts a system in the red it does 1 hull hp of damage. The drone eventually auto repairs, your drone goes and smacks that system back into the red and does hull damage again. Eventually boom.

Also with lvl2 teleport you can send non rock/crystal/lantis crew over as long as you immediately bring them back once the teleport cool down is over.

No, it's the one that starts with a small bomb and a Basic Laser.

And my problem with using level 2 teleport is that I accidentally fired my laser on my own dudes so I can't teleport them back soon enough because I am a big dummy.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Renegret posted:

Oh my god if you're going to go through the effort of getting a green screen and an expensive loving microphone you can at least take the extra effort to not sing on your loving stream every 30 seconds holy poo poo I want to strangle this guy.

It's funny, this kind of thing usually annoys me but the guy is just so mellow that I rarely even notice his humming. I often just put him on as background noise, which I understand is fairly common for this guy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Che Delilas posted:

It's funny, this kind of thing usually annoys me but the guy is just so mellow that I rarely even notice his humming. I often just put him on as background noise, which I understand is fairly common for this guy.

I have no other complaints, his commentary is very good otherwise.

I dunno, it's a thing I have, I can't stand people needlessly singing along.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Speedball posted:

Need to actually trigger their events first before you can get 'em! I'm lacking in many ship types too.

You don't! It's an OR. You either do the quest, or beat the boss with the previous type of ship.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Time them to volleys. In addition, different shot types travel at different speeds.
Ion shots are slow, flak is either on par, or a bit faster. Missiles are middling. Lasers are quick. Beam weapons are instantaneous.

Generally, you want ion/flak to hit first, since they're most beneficial against shields. Since they're so slow, fire them first, and wait several moments before firing other weapons. Time your lasers so that they arrive after the ion/flak shots have landed.
In addition, if you have multiple lasers of varying strengths, fire the weaker lasers first, and then the heavier lasers. All lasers do equal damage to shields, but the heavier lasers do more damage to hull, as well as having higher breach chances.
Obviously, wait till shields are down to fire beams (or at least lowered for the higher powered beams).
Bomb and missile weapons ignore shields, so if you want to take down shields, fire them first, otherwise they don't necessarily need to be fired with lasers.

If you have a set of weapons, its usually best to wait for all them to be ready, and fire them as a volley with appropriate timing as mentioned above. There'll be some situations where this isn't true,

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Also is there an augment that like, builds missiles back up over time? I run out of missiles all the time and it's annoying. This might be one of the harder games I ever played, or at least the learning curve is crazy steep.

edit: Also, I'm fighting a ship right now with a crazy defense drone that shoots down my Burst Laser 2 shots before they even make contact. Wtf, how is this even possible?

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Apr 18, 2014

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Also is there an augment that like, builds missiles back up over time? I run out of missiles all the time and it's annoying. This might be one of the harder games I ever played, or at least the learning curve is crazy steep.

edit: Also, I'm fighting a ship right now with a crazy defense drone that shoots down my Burst Laser 2 shots before they even make contact. Wtf, how is this even possible?

There's no auto-replenish missiles augment, the closest is an augment that gives you a 50% chance of not using missile ammo whenever you fire one.

And that's a Defense Drone Mk II, they shoot down both missiles and laser shots. Generally not actually that great, because since they can only shoot one thing at a time, a volley of shots firing all at once is enough to overwhelm it.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Explosive Replicator makes each missile shot have a 50% chance of not using ammo, or something along those lines.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You cant stop the rock.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

First question: save your missiles. Missiles are powerful for their ability to penetrate shields (and bombs are even more powerful for the ability to negate ALL defenses besides dodge chance and zoltan shields) but they are expensive. Unless you've got a hull missile (i.e.: you're playing Rock A) only use your missiles to smash a system or two, like the weapons or shields. You should be doing the majority of hull damage to enemy ships by using cheap energy weapons that don't cost anything to fire.

Second question: Defense Drone II. Takes 3 power, fires faster and is more accurate than a normal defense drone. It can shoot down all projectiles, which makes it really annoying. On the other hand, it's a lot easier to overwhelm by firing your weapons as a group.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

You cant stop the rock.

Goddamn what a haul.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I dont get how anyone can win on normal or above. By sector 5 almost every ship had layouts that could tear mine apart in a few volleys.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

FrickenMoron posted:

I dont get how anyone can win on normal or above. By sector 5 almost every ship had layouts that could tear mine apart in a few volleys.

What upgrades do you buy?
What does your path through the sector look like? Do you visit as many nodes as possible?
Do you waste money on repairing before your hull is below 50%?
What kills you?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Shields 2 by sector 2 or 3, then engines
Going for distress/as many nodes as possible
No
Missiles/Evade never working/being unable to get through shields.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
The thing that annoys me the most in this game is that the rocket exhaust of defense drones is all wrong. To keep circling like that they should be aimed away from the ship.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Well, I'm 2 for 2 with Engi C on normal, and it doesn't feel like a fluke.

On the first run, I did get one big break: a Flak II in a sector 1 store. It cost 80 scrap, so I had to do without the usual early shield/engine upgrades. That was okay, since Engi C handles early sectors with ease. As for the Flak II, it sat in my hold for 4 or 5 sectors. Once it came out, it was lights out for the rebellion.

The second game is the one which has convinced me this is a rare FTL ship which isn't as dependent on luck. I got a score over 6K despite never upgrading the starting dual laser, and only adding an ion charger and small bomb, both bought in stores. Finished the last few sectors by boarding with a pair of suicidal Mantis, using the popguns for backup and taking out key systems.

That said, it's not easy. Instead, it's a ship which handsomely rewards obsessive game-pausers who've picked up lots of micromanagement tricks.

Also, without the two page store it would be a horribly RNG based ship anyways. Two page stores rule.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

FrickenMoron posted:

Shields 2 by sector 2 or 3, then engines
Going for distress/as many nodes as possible
No
Missiles/Evade never working/being unable to get through shields.

Try playing with the Red-Tail. By the time you reach people with 3 shields, you should be able to find some way to improve your already good firepower, or reduce their defenses. Upgrade shields to 2 pips as soon as you gather 50 scrap. You don't even need the reactor upgrades, you can turn off your engines when the enemy can only fire 2 lasers at a time. Juggle power around, even if it means leaving life support unpowered for a short while. Focus fire on weapons if their shields aren't giving you a major headache - while the fight might drag on a bit longer, avoiding damage early on will allow you to tank missiles better later. I'd also suggest going for utility upgrades before upgrading the engines - you'll be surprised by how frequently medbay and sensors level 2 pop up as a blue option with amazing results. Thankfully, you don't need to upgrade doors for a while in AE, since you can just run someone over to the doors room if you get boarded.

edit: While you might find it strange that I'm talking about your actions in the first sector when you say it's the 5th that kills you, the thing is - what kills you most often is losing the arms race with the game by not gathering sufficient scrap/crew/upgrades in time. A strong start can seriously improve how you do in the long run.

my dad fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 18, 2014

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Are you running away from fights where it's clear you can't get through your opponent's shield/they'll do more damage to you than the reward is worth?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Can the flagship run out of missiles? :v:

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

omeg posted:

Can the flagship run out of missiles? :v:

No.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

BobHoward posted:

Well, I'm 2 for 2 with Engi C on normal, and it doesn't feel like a fluke.

On the first run, I did get one big break: a Flak II in a sector 1 store. It cost 80 scrap, so I had to do without the usual early shield/engine upgrades. That was okay, since Engi C handles early sectors with ease. As for the Flak II, it sat in my hold for 4 or 5 sectors. Once it came out, it was lights out for the rebellion.

The second game is the one which has convinced me this is a rare FTL ship which isn't as dependent on luck. I got a score over 6K despite never upgrading the starting dual laser, and only adding an ion charger and small bomb, both bought in stores. Finished the last few sectors by boarding with a pair of suicidal Mantis, using the popguns for backup and taking out key systems.

That said, it's not easy. Instead, it's a ship which handsomely rewards obsessive game-pausers who've picked up lots of micromanagement tricks.

Also, without the two page store it would be a horribly RNG based ship anyways. Two page stores rule.

When you've saved up a bunch of scrap and are desperate for a store only to find a one page with lovely selection, that is the actual worst.

Edit: I'm doing my first attempt at a Boarding run. Should I get a Clone Bay or some other thingie? I'm mainly doing it cause I came across two Rock dudes early on.

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 18, 2014

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

WOW. Just killed my own two dudes while they were on some other ship. This loving game.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

ComaPrison posted:

How did you get zoltan shield for a mantis ship, without shield drones?

It's from a Zoltan quest, you go through a whole bit with a ship where you choose not to fight and tell them something about avoiding bloodshed is the key to enlightenment. The Zoltan guy gives you the shield as a reward

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Pez posted:

It's from a Zoltan quest, you go through a whole bit with a ship where you choose not to fight and tell them something about avoiding bloodshed is the key to enlightenment. The Zoltan guy gives you the shield as a reward

I'm loving the idea of Mantis lying through their mandibles about loving peace to get that shield.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
The Zoltan captain can also join you instead, he's got rank 2 in every skill, but it still sucks like hell most of the time when it happens instead of getting the shield. I am quite glad that you can get the zoltan shield from it now, in vanilla you just got some scrap and supplies from doing the quest.

Speaking of, are there any other races where you can get the Rank 2 everything crew besides zoltan, engi, and (I'm assuming) mantis?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
Well, almost beat Engi A. Died on Phase 3 to three missiles and lasers connecting through 45% dodge while my shields were ioned. Not counting the ions hitting, that is like a 2.7% chance of happening. The pilot/engines weren't hit either. The flagship only had about five health left too. I would have gone the normal route of focusing the missiles first, but mind control was loving up my crew and I was distracted. Shucks.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

AndroidHub posted:

I am quite glad that you can get the zoltan shield from it now, in vanilla you just got some scrap and supplies from doing the quest.

In vanilla you got a guaranteed weapon for completing the quest.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Currently playing the Stealth C on hard. Made it to the flagship a few times but didnt pack quite enough of a punch to kill it.

Cons:
  • No shields
  • Rage furiously if when your weapons or drones get hit
  • Spend the first sector scrambling for shields
  • Your drones are now nearly useless
  • Spend the second sector scrambling for a second layer of shields
  • You now desperately must upgrade your weapons because people have 3 shields already what
  • You better get quality weapons because your ship only has 3 weapons slots
  • You have to somehow squeeze in engine, door upgrades, a cloak and if possible hacking
  • Because you're so far behind in cash you will have trouble making any use out of drones unless you find them

Pros:
  • Long-Ranged Scanners
  • Charge Laser is really good for one energy
  • You can sell your lovely drones to get shields
  • Good blue options from Rock and Slug crew
  • Start with 3 engine pips
  • If you get lucky you can avoid missiles with the shield drone early on

My only consolation is coming from the fact that this isn't Engi B. :negative:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Any advice for Rock A? I made it to the Flagship on my first attempt with it but just ran out of steam and couldn't keep up with it. Maybe I just got unlucky but even with two or three beam weapons running out of missile ammo did me in. Managed to get the "beat up a burning enemy on their own ship" achievement so I'm halfway to getting Rock B, at least.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

C-Euro posted:

Any advice for Rock A? I made it to the Flagship on my first attempt with it but just ran out of steam and couldn't keep up with it. Maybe I just got unlucky but even with two or three beam weapons running out of missile ammo did me in. Managed to get the "beat up a burning enemy on their own ship" achievement so I'm halfway to getting Rock B, at least.

Sadly, Rock A is really vulnerable to the RNG's whims. The best advice I can give you is to do just sector 1 a couple of times until you get a decent alternative to missiles, or at least something that lets you conserve them somewhat - and restart if you don't.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

My controversial opinion is that the Hull Smasher Laser Mk II is the best weapon in the game and if you fill up your weapons with lasers of any 'heavy' variety, you are almost guaranteed victory.

Lasers punch holes in the hull, start fires, do fair crew damage (enough for 2 volleys to kill people), and does incredible damage to ships once you can target systemless rooms.

Disclaimer: yes I know anything can be viable, but this works for me 90%+ of the time with any ship and any loadout.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

a!n posted:

Yes embrace the Engi hate. :glomp:

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

a!n posted:

Currently playing the Stealth C on hard. Made it to the flagship a few times but didnt pack quite enough of a punch to kill it.

Cons:
  • No shields
  • Rage furiously if when your weapons or drones get hit
  • Spend the first sector scrambling for shields
  • Your drones are now nearly useless
  • Spend the second sector scrambling for a second layer of shields
  • You now desperately must upgrade your weapons because people have 3 shields already what
  • You better get quality weapons because your ship only has 3 weapons slots
  • You have to somehow squeeze in engine, door upgrades, a cloak and if possible hacking
  • Because you're so far behind in cash you will have trouble making any use out of drones unless you find them

Pros:
  • Long-Ranged Scanners
  • Charge Laser is really good for one energy
  • You can sell your lovely drones to get shields
  • Good blue options from Rock and Slug crew
  • Start with 3 engine pips
  • If you get lucky you can avoid missiles with the shield drone early on

I think stealth C, fed C and zoltan C are meant to be some kind of masochistic challenge mode, they are all so badly designed and awful.

But why does everyone hate engi B? I've been trying to play engi A and C lately, and christ they're terrible, attack drones are just so lame and unwieldy . I'd take engi B over them any day, at least it starts with pretty solid weapons.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

FuhrerHat posted:

My controversial opinion is that the Hull Smasher Laser Mk II is the best weapon in the game and if you fill up your weapons with lasers of any 'heavy' variety, you are almost guaranteed victory.

Lasers punch holes in the hull, start fires, do fair crew damage (enough for 2 volleys to kill people), and does incredible damage to ships once you can target systemless rooms.

Disclaimer: yes I know anything can be viable, but this works for me 90%+ of the time with any ship and any loadout.

Totally. An early Hull Smasher Mk II finally got my Slug B to the final sector so I could unlock Type C. I had a double shot heavy laser too. It's fun playing with the green lasers, I don't see them that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

super fart shooter posted:

I think stealth C, fed C and zoltan C are meant to be some kind of masochistic challenge mode, they are all so badly designed and awful.

But why does everyone hate engi B? I've been trying to play engi A and C lately, and christ they're terrible, attack drones are just so lame and unwieldy . I'd take engi B over them any day, at least it starts with pretty solid weapons.

People like Engi A because of the weapon it starts with. That thing is an endgame weapon. Also, if you upgrade shields as soon as you can and run into an enemy that can't penetrate 2 pips, just autofire at the enemy O2 and make some coffee while they sloooowly suffocate.

• Locked thread