Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

But I gotta figure out how many more months it'll take for the Bone to outsell the WiiU so that we can heartily laugh at how incredibly badly Nintendo screwed the pooch.

Like 2 at most?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Barudak posted:

But I gotta figure out how many more months it'll take for the Bone to outsell the WiiU so that we can heartily laugh at how incredibly badly Nintendo screwed the pooch.

Nintendo has sold ~4.5 million Wii-U's?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Like 2 at most?

I think there are 6 million WiiUs total now in sales or is wikipedia pulling numbers fresh from their hindquarters? So probably 4 or 5 assuming the WiiU can keep moving like 100k a month.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

E3 is in like two months so trying to predict sales is kinda pointless considering Microsoft at bare minimum is probably gonna announce a price drop there. Nintendo probably should too at this point but welp.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

E3 is in like two months so trying to predict sales is kinda pointless considering Microsoft at bare minimum is probably gonna announce a price drop there.

I really wonder if Microsoft is willing to release a Kinect-less SKU. I don't THINK they will - the Kinect is in no way equivalent to the gamepad, but it's still important to what they think the Xbox should be - but man, can you imagine?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kuai posted:

So I just got home with my Windwaker HD bundle and I go to enter the code and it says it has already been used. Anyone else had this problem? I thought it might be because I set up a Nintendo Network ID and linked my 3DS but saying "the code has already been used" makes me think its a gently caress up on their end.

Someone probably bought the system, used the code and returned it. Call Nintendo, they should get you a new code.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ImpAtom posted:

E3 is in like two months so trying to predict sales is kinda pointless considering Microsoft at bare minimum is probably gonna announce a price drop there. Nintendo probably should too at this point but welp.

Can Nintendo even afford another price drop on the WiiU? The thing is bleeding money as it is.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

TaurusOxford posted:

Can Nintendo even afford another price drop on the WiiU? The thing is bleeding money as it is.
They just outright up and said at that investor meeting (where Iwata announced he was reducing his salary) that they can't and won't. So there's that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

PrBacterio posted:

They just outright up and said at that investor meeting (where Iwata announced he was reducing his salary) that they can't and won't. So there's that.

Eh... while it probably wouldn't be best for business to announce a price drop in advance, they did do just that with the Wind Waker bundle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PrBacterio posted:

Welp.

So at this point not too sure what they could do to turn this around. It feels like a lot of the things that would help them right this ship (like an overhauled store/sales/indie push) needed to have been in crude place a year ago. Pack-in bundles as far as the eye can see, I guess.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

Barudak posted:

Didnt NPD numbers drop today?

GAF rumours are putting Wii + Wii U at less than 100k, which would explain the lack of ninty press release at this point.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Barudak posted:

Welp.

So at this point not too sure what they could do to turn this around. It feels like a lot of the things that would help them right this ship (like an overhauled store/sales/indie push) needed to have been in crude place a year ago. Pack-in bundles as far as the eye can see, I guess.

The thing is their time to act has looooonng passed. They could have been improving their services and marketing while the WiiU's been out but it feels like they're just watching it sink.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

It doesn't seem like there's any winning move when it comes to the Wii U except to survive through it.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Barudak posted:

If the Xbone is selling at half the rate of the Ps4, and the WiiU is selling at one sixth of the rate of the Xbone, and it took the Ps4 4 months to outsell the WiiU, and the WiiU had 3.8 million consoles sold when both the Ps4 and the Xbone launched, that suggests approximately September. October if Mario Kart moves consoles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toady posted:

It doesn't seem like there's any winning move when it comes to the Wii U except to survive through it.

Pretty much. The only winning move at this point is to limit the damage and plan for the future.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Short of the lightning striking twice with the casual crowd, was there ever a winning move other than that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Short of the lightning striking twice with the casual crowd, was there ever a winning move other than that?

They really should have made a serious heavy aggressive marketing push towards the indie games market like Sony ended up doing. The Wii U's weaker power would have mattered a lot less and the Gamepad would have been an ideal tool for indie developers to play around with in a variety of ways because a weird indie game is significantly more likely to make good use of the Gamepad compared to AAA multiplatform titles. That and a strong concentrated marketing push could have helped limit the game drought (as it is doing so right now for the PS4).

They were never going to replicate the Wii but they could have alleviated the damage a lot more. It's way too late now though. It also would have involved them being more aggressive with creating a non-lovely account system and actually having a non-lovely digital storefront.

The Wii U wasn't ever gonna be a success but better marketing and better outreach could have at least solidified it into Gamecube territory instead of the mess it is.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 18, 2014

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hi, when is Dolphin or another program going to be able to emulate the Wii U game console? Thank you.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

So basically what it boils down to for the upcoming months is that Dark Souls II will keep me interested till Mario Kart 8. Yeah, it seems I won't have any problems with that.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Toady posted:

There isn't. They needed to act and start succeeding with that console about six months before the new consoles came out.

We're firmly in the "Oh well, start getting the next one ready" stage, especially given how few major releases are on the Wii U's calendar. Even Nintendo isn't hiding how bleak it is.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Champeenship posted:

GAF rumours are putting Wii + Wii U at less than 100k, which would explain the lack of ninty press release at this point.

Looks like Wii U may have done about 70k which is better than I would have expected.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Atomicated posted:

Looks like Wii U may have done about 70k which is better than I would have expected.

'Just over', which admittedly isn't too bad a drop considering they appeared to do roughly 82k last month, but when you also factor in the 3DS sold more this March alone than the Wii U for both February and March, kinda depressing. Doing some quick math on how the Wii U did for March in Japan (though slightly overlapping with Feb given how Media Create numbers are given), we get about 46.5k. Unfortunately, there's not as much info with regards to sales elsewhere (that I can find at least), and I'm struggling to figure what'd be a good estimate. I mean, as an economic region, its got a larger population compared to the other two, but on the other hand, there's also more regional differences and its Sony territory overall ('cept here in Britain, but we're weird like that, and it may be changing anyway), so that might offset the whole thing.

So... probably looking at about - maybe under - half of the Xbox One's sales, globally speaking?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Xbox and PS4 are estimated at ~310k and ~370k for last month.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fulchrum posted:

Okay, this I gotta hear cause I'm gonna have to call BS on this. Even leaving everything else aside, GTA was designed for DOS and Playstation from the outset.

Or are you talking about getting a port of GTA 1 and 2, not getting them exclusively?

The gist is that Nintendo hired DMA to make a game for them as part of the "Dream Team" back in the N64 era when they were super hard up on exclusives. So Rockstar set about making Body Harvest, with Nintendo set to publish, but the typical Nintendo bugbears of arrogance, English/Japanese communication and unreasonable demands set in and they sent over notes demanding things like turning the game from an action game into an RPG (because Nintendo was hard up on those at the time.) Eventually Nintendo pulled out because they couldn't understand the game. Rockstar had to scramble around and get someone else (Midway- a name you can trust!) to publish the game, leaving them forever hating Nintendo. The actual game was pretty good, you ran around a bunch of time travel themed levels jumping from one vehicle to another and shooting aliens. GTA1 was being developed at basically the same time (started later but came together well so it finished sooner) by a different team as a PC game with a Playstation port. Its fun to remember that at the time Rockstar weren't married to any one company, GTA 2 made it out onto Dreamcast and apparently GTA1 was being ported to N64, though that never made it out the door. Anyways, GTA III and on were developed mainly by teams that were culled from N64 developers (Body Harvest and SSSV teams) while the GTA 1 team made GTA 2. When it came time to decide which platform to aim III at the Playstation was chosen but both Nintendo and Microsoft were given serious looks.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 18, 2014

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Astro Nut posted:

So... probably looking at about - maybe under - half of the Xbox One's sales, globally speaking?

Wii U at ~120k for US+Japan, Xbone at 310k for US alone. My personal guess would be the Xbone sold better through Europe in March, especially in the UK with the TF bundles and price cuts.

Probably near 1/3 worldwide.

Someone else made this:

I'll point out a couple things: the Wii U numbers are consoles shipped, the other two are consoles sold; the Xbone is at 5m consoles shipped as of today/yesterday.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Edmund Honda posted:

Wii U at ~120k for US+Japan, Xbone at 310k for US alone. My personal guess would be the Xbone sold better through Europe in March, especially in the UK with the TF bundles and price cuts.

Probably near 1/3 worldwide.

Someone else made this:

I'll point out a couple things: the Wii U numbers are consoles shipped, the other two are consoles sold; the Xbone is at 5m consoles shipped as of today/yesterday.

Ack, thanks for spotting my goof. I was thinking Wii U's globally, which must have made me think I was holding the Xbox One to the same logic.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TaurusOxford posted:

No, but they can pack in games. That was the strategy they announced at that "Wii are so sorry, so very very sorry" investors meeting, so expect Mario Kart and Smash Bros. bundles priced at 250 or 300 or whatever the base price is in the neat future.

As to the Wii U being a born-in failure. They could have released it two or three years earlier so it wasn't "basically an Xbox 360 going up against the Ps4 and Xbox One," they could have ported a bunch of DS/3DS games to it early on to help avoid droughts, they could have given proper documentation to third parties (and trained up helper engineers at NoA to answer developers' tech questions,) they could have been hiring on additional developers back during the DS/Wii days so they wouldn't have the crunch they did while learning how to develope HD games (and the Wii and 3DS would have avoided their long first party droughts too, as a bonus.) I guess a new name/better marketing would have helped too, but really the simple fact is that the Wii U's tech is not appealing to a majority of "gamers" or to a majority of people who are willing to buy and play one or two video games but nothing else. I feel like they created it to dominate the in-home multiplayer crowd, but thats a small crowd.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Cliff Racer posted:

No, but they can pack in games. That was the strategy they announced at that "Wii are so sorry, so very very sorry" investors meeting, so expect Mario Kart and Smash Bros. bundles priced at 250 or 300 or whatever the base price is in the neat future.

I feel like consumers would rather buy a $250 console without a game, than a $300 console with a game, because consumers are dumb.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Well 250 without would give the consumer the ability to pick the game they want and to shop around for the game on sale.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Atomicated posted:

Well 250 without would give the consumer the ability to pick the game they want and to shop around for the game on sale.

The console-only SNES SKU was even advertised this way in Nintendo Power.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Toady posted:

It's Dark Souls: The Console.

It also seems like nothing is going to change in the company since they're not even getting rid of head people. I mean even Sega at this point gave their inactive properties over to partners to make games for systems. They're sitting on a treasure trove of potential and doing nothing with it.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's Dark Souls: The Console.

Nintendo immediately tries to go to new Londo ruins refuses to try anywhere else first.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Atomicated posted:

Nintendo immediately tries to go to new Londo ruins refuses to try anywhere else first.

Well they should be fine, I think they're already cursed.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fulchrum posted:

Don't build and sell a system that was only as powerful as the then-7 year old consoles of the "last" generation. It may have been impossible for Nintendo to determine precisely how powerful the next Xbox and Playstation were going to be, but it was pretty obvious it would be "more than if you slapped some more RAM in a 360".

The fact that it's so slow and weird to program for multiplies their existing issues with other developers.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Also, internal storage space of more than 32 gigs would be really nice. I don't see why a console has only marginally more storage than my 16 gig tablet.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Why can't Nintendo do a massive price cut to $250, maybe even $200? They never even took a loss on the hardware at release, did they? If the alternative is selling a few consoles at a profit, and not being able to move much software, it should be preferable to move a lot of hardware at a loss and sell a lot of software. It's not an ideal situation, but why can't it be viable until the next round of consoles?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Euphoriaphone posted:

Why can't Nintendo do a massive price cut to $250, maybe even $200? They never even took a loss on the hardware at release, did they? If the alternative is selling a few consoles at a profit, and not being able to move much software, it should be preferable to move a lot of hardware at a loss and sell a lot of software. It's not an ideal situation, but why can't it be viable until the next round of consoles?

Because they already did a price drop and are already losing money on hardware. So a further price drop is a significantly greater loss on hardware.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Euphoriaphone posted:

They were losing money per console when it was selling for its launch price. Then they cut 50 bucks off it to lose even more money per system and it still hasn't moved sales. They could cut prices further but it'll only bleed them out quicker.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Patter Song posted:

Also, internal storage space of more than 32 gigs would be really nice. I don't see why a console has only marginally more storage than my 16 gig tablet.

No you see they gave you the consumer choice of spending even more money to get a hard drive that isn't laughably small. Though they forgot to make a single usb slot capable of powering an external hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Atomicated posted:

No you see they gave you the consumer choice of spending even more money to get a hard drive that isn't laughably small. Though they forgot to make a single usb slot capable of powering an external hard drive.

But the WiiU consumes so little power. Think of all the electrical savings!

• Locked thread