Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Null1fy posted:

You definitely went way further into this than I did. I just reaped the fruits of the hard labors of the dudes at the CCGHQ. I used that same film except the staples brand. And it was a mistake, since I paid the full price. I should have just bought them online. Can you speak on my concern about the sleeving at all?

Ah, that got appended after.

Double sleeving is the way to go, but I used them on the proxies as well and they're nearly undetectable that way. They can't be seen in the deck or the packs, you will only notice it as you draw the card (they're stiffer than real cards).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Ah, that got appended after.

Double sleeving is the way to go, but I used them on the proxies as well and they're nearly undetectable that way. They can't be seen in the deck or the packs, you will only notice it as you draw the card (they're stiffer than real cards).

What a relief.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

ChewyLSB posted:

Specifically, I'm looking for good Red artifact cards. It seems like a lot of the good red cards are on the sacrific-y side so it seems like a good idea to load the cube with artifacts that want to die and ways to enable that. I already have Atog in the cube but I wasn't sure if maybe I missed one of the good artifact sacrifice outlets?

Wildfire and burning of xinye don't mention artifacts, but they are cards that get much better with rampy artifacts, as they help you break the symmetry. I also like red X spells that the mana ramping artifacts can make better, like rolling thunder.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Goblin Welder! I liked to combine it with cheap discard outlets like Firestorm and Faithless Looting when I was splashing red into my artifact cube decks. Trash for Treasure is out there too, but we don't want to talk about that card.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sometimes cube is hilarious. R/U control, I got to ramp out a Plow Under T4, had E. Witness, Phantasmal Image, and Metamorph, which let me cast it three more times. The poor bastard. :getin:

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Mikujin posted:

Sometimes cube is hilarious. R/U control, I got to ramp out a Plow Under T4, had E. Witness, Phantasmal Image, and Metamorph, which let me cast it three more times. The poor bastard. :getin:

Uh.. You mean G/U control?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Null1fy posted:

It's cube you can do crazy poo poo!!!!!

but yes he probably did mean that

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Null1fy posted:

Maybe the cube has Realmwright.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I did mean G/U, mistyped without noticing. Oops.

But yeah, followed that up with game 2 t5 Terastadon, t6 Phantasmal/Metamorph Terastadons. :iamafag:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I think the best opening I've seen from my cube was turn 2 Tinker for Myr Battlesphere then play Phantasmal Image.

Unfortunately I was the opponent in this case.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Aston posted:

I think the best opening I've seen from my cube was turn 2 Tinker for Myr Battlesphere then play Phantasmal Image.

Unfortunately I was the opponent in this case.

I've seen this happen in my cube too, and luckily I was a spectator.

I also saw someone Sneak Attack a Woodfall Primus into play and then copy it with a Phyrexian Metamorph. Fun times there too.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I've seen this happen in my cube too, and luckily I was a spectator.

I also saw someone Sneak Attack a Woodfall Primus into play and then copy it with a Phyrexian Metamorph. Fun times there too.

Funniest one I've experienced is turn two Channel, Myr Battlesphere, Sword of Feast and Famine, equip, Lightning Greaves, equip.

Second best was playing 4-person "Type 4" where everyone draws from the same stack, one spell a turn, infinite mana. One player got Necropotence, drew up to 30 cards or so and was in control, until the guy across the table from him slammed Sword of War and Peace to immediately kill him.

DurdleDuck
Jul 17, 2013

ChewyLSB posted:

Specifically, I'm looking for good Red artifact cards.

The question is: what deck do you want people to draft in UR? "UR artifacts" is not really a deck, and suggestions could range from Kuldotha Phoenix all the way to Bosh, Iron Golem or Kuldotha Rebirth. However, those cards don't necessarily go into the same deck.

I struggled with the exact same problem for a long time, and what I found is that the best UR artifact decks are either Goblin Welder/Trash for Treasure/Tinker decks that cheat artifact fatties into play, like Platinum Angel, Wurmcoil Engine, or Inkwell Leviathan, to name a few; or they are artifact ramp-into-Wildfire decks, where a card like Covetous Dragon shines, because it survives Wildfire. With only modern frames, the second deck becomes more difficult, but you could add Crater Hellion, Hunted Dragon, and Destructive Force to go with your Fire Diamonds or whatever artifact ramp you have.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

With artifact decks I've found the best thing to do is to just splash a flavor of it. Tinker and Goblin Welder are fine, I wouldn't go much deeper than that. Welding a Sundering Titan into play in exchange for a Scroll Rack is already good enough.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Goddamn. :stare:

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/cards/journey-into-nyx/22350-mana-confluence

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Strictly more attractive City of Brass. Some slight corner cases where one is better than the other but I'm always glad to see functional reprints with subjectively better art.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The art is the only thing about the card that I don't like (not huge on the mane either, I guess) ...but lands that are better than City of Brass can look like/be called whatever the hell they want and it's still a snap-include for the cube.

Been waiting for this land for 20 years, lol.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Very happy for that and will be giving Ajani a try.

Anything else people are considering? one drop black minotaur?

edit: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/6929

we've made a lot of changes to the cube recently.

uggy fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 11, 2014

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

uggy posted:

edit: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/6929

we've made a lot of changes to the cube recently.

How's the artifact aggro in your cube working out? It seemed a bit... thin in my draft of your cube; like it's half of an archetype that's there, with cards (Arcbound Ravager, Steel Overseer) that really want you to have gone whole hog.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

So I built a Custom cube with 50% cards I made myself and 50% actual magic cards, and I'm wondering if there's any resources like cubetutor but more detailed I can use to do analysis of it. I need to make sure things like removal and creature ratios and mana curves are balanced between the colors and archetypes, but since half my cards are fake cubetutor doesn't really work for me.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I stole this spreadsheet from somewhere and got a lot of use out of it before I found out about Cube Tutor. Lots of typing.

I meant to add P/T ratios to it but, Cube Tutor.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

uggy posted:

I'll be playing the fixing land and the Scarhide. That's one sick aggro beater.

Ajani doesn't appeal to me at all. Selesnya is stacked with absolutely sick gold cards—I don't see him competing.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I'll be playing the fixing land and the Scarhide. That's one sick aggro beater.

Ajani doesn't appeal to me at all. Selesnya is stacked with absolutely sick gold cards—I don't see him competing.

Pretty much. White and green are not colors that lack for good planeswalkers, nor really for the effects that Ajani provides. Plus as you said, W/G is probably the most stacked gold section outside of U/W. A black and/or red planeswalker along the same power level would have a much better shot.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Lord Of Texas posted:

Pretty much. White and green are not colors that lack for good planeswalkers, nor really for the effects that Ajani provides. Plus as you said, W/G is probably the most stacked gold section outside of U/W. A black and/or red planeswalker along the same power level would have a much better shot.

The even bigger issue for me is the quality/quantity of better mono-colored 5-drops in those two colors. I can't picture cutting any white or green 5-drops from a final 40 to get Ajani in there, and that doesn't bode well for a 5cc gold card. And lastly, Ajani doesn't contribute to a specific archetype that needs help in that color combination, so it doesn't even serve a niche role where it'd be bonkers in 1 specific deck. In addition to the competition in the guild.

If you had a prevalent Exalted theme in Bant or something he might be worthwhile, but outside of that, the abilities are just generic value triggers—there's no shortage of those available. Maybe a big +1/+1 counter theme could bring extra value, but I haven't seen either of those archetypes be successful in a cube setting.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, nothing else that has been spoiled is worth including in a cube. Gnarled Scarhide is just superb and will definitely earning a slot in mine, as is Mana Confluence for the above stated reasons. All of the gods whom have been revealed are terribly disappointing, the equipment is worse than Vulshok Battlegear or Loxodon Hammer and Ajani is strictly worse in comparison to other Selesnya choices (not to mention he can't even protect himself).

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The red double-striking Ohran Viper dude and the black 3-man 5/5 flying Goblin Guide-type guy are both pretty solid 3-drops for medium-sized cubes, IMO.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

WhiteWolf123 posted:

The red double-striking Ohran Viper dude and the black 3-man 5/5 flying Goblin Guide-type guy are both pretty solid 3-drops for medium-sized cubes, IMO.

Just being 3-drops in Red and Black make the bar a lot lower for those two, and I personally think they'll show up in a lot of lists. They both seem like pretty fun cards as well, which helps their case.

I think Dictate of Karametra could make it in larger cubes with a well-supported fatty section. It can't be stated enough how much Flash does to make the Heartbeat effect playable. When you slam Dictate at the end of your turn, you're looking at 10-12 mana after untapping (depending on how many mana dorks you used to ramp into Dictate), enough to slam something like Terastadon or Sundering Titan, both of which severely limit the opponent's ability to make use of the Dictate in return.

Basically, if a cube wants Gilded Lotus, I can see it wanting Dictate of Karametra as well. I want to like Dictate of Kruphix (blue 3-drop permanents suck), but Jacey B. will push it out in a lot of cubes.

I could see Iroas being played before Gatecrash beefed up the Boros section of many cubes, but Ajani V. really sets the bar highly at 2RW, and mono-colored white-red aggressive 4-drops is a really crowded slot already.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
I don't like Iroas in cube honestly. It's extremely difficult to turn on the lesser gods in limited, and without the 7/4 body he's essentially an indestructible Levitation, as both his abilities make blocking miserable.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

I don't like any of the new gods for the cube, unfortunately.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I think of all the new gods, Keranos is the one that I might try out. Pharika is just kind of bad, Iroas isn't going to turn on that often and isn't relevant if he doesn't, and Kruphix and Athreos exist in sections too strong for them.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Full set spoiler is up.

3 staple cards that are all amazing, 2 pretty good cards that will fall into most medium sized cubes, and a couple of archetype-specific cards that might see cube play depending on what you support. Very nice for a small set.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Full set spoiler is up.

3 staple cards that are all amazing, 2 pretty good cards that will fall into most medium sized cubes, and a couple of archetype-specific cards that might see cube play depending on what you support. Very nice for a small set.

Much better than Born of the Gods which really only had Brimaz, who was expensive as hell - being a mythic - and still hasn't made it into my cube for that reason. I like that two of the three new staples in this set are uncommons. The other one, Mana Confluence, will be somewhat pricey but it is a land and I feel like people expect that good lands will be spendy.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
When does MTGO post the new cube? I can't wait to play with the flash heartbeat of spring

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I saw a post saying it would be up from the 23rd April, but whether that's with Journey into Nyx cards or not I don't know.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
I run a 370-card Peasant cube, and here are the thoughts I shared with some friends based on a couple looks at the spoiler today. My cube list for reference: https://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/72. I'm not going to link individual cards because :effort:, but the full spoiler is here: http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/article.aspx?x=mtg/tcg/journeyintonyx/cig

White
Banishing Light - Straight swap for O-Ring, removing weird rules/timing interactions that O-Ring has.
Nyx-Fleece Ram - Great defensive creature, plus look at that art. Gorgeous.
Quarry Colossus - Maybe in place of Feudkiller's Verdict since it's somewhat less of a blowout against aggro.
Skyspear Cavalry and Supply-Line Cranes - Probably not good enough, but I'm always keeping my eyes peeled for good white 5-drops.

Blue
Dakra Mystic - My blue 1-drops are pretty mediocre and this guy could generate a lot of advantage for you over the course of a game.
Hour of Need - Protects your guys from removal, and can let you upgrade your small guys that are no longer relevant in the late game.

Black
Gnarled Scarhide - 1 mana 2/1s with negligible drawbacks are always welcome. I also appreciate the ability to put this on an opponent's guy to swing for lethal.

Red
Mogis's Warhound - Probably not quite good enough, but red's 3-drops aren't spectacular so this guy could be worth a try.
Sigiled Skink - Probably not, but if I want another 1R 2/1 this guy seems fine.

Green
Nessian Game Warden - Seems like a fine 5-drop for green. I'm always on the lookout for these since the ones I have now aren't particularly exciting.

Multicolor
Fleetfeather Cockatrice - This guy seems really sweet. Lots of good abilities on a decent body, plus the monstrous. I like it.
Nyx Weaver - I'm pretty happy with my Golgari section right now, but if I wanted to push more of a graveyard theme for them, this guy would be immediately added.
Stormchaser Chimera - Decent body for the cost, plus the potential to get huge and help you continue to dig for spells in the later game. The activation cost is high, though.

Artifacts and Lands
Armory of Iroas and Chariot of Victory - Are either of these better than Mask of Memory? I'm not sure. Trying to find a decent replacement for Loxodon Warhammer that isn't awful or horribly broken. This is proving surprisingly difficult.
Gold-Forged Sentinel - This seems like a decent card to have available to every color. Not sure what would come out for it though.
Mana Confluence - I don't care if it's rare, I'll take as many copies of City of Brass as I can get.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AlsoD posted:

When does MTGO post the new cube? I can't wait to play with the flash heartbeat of spring

I really like that new card for that reason. I love playing green ramp, but I HATE drafting heartbeat because the last thing I want to do is give my opponent a full turn of double mana before I get to take advantage of it. I rarely play symmetrical effects like that....I will first pick a Mirari's Wake any day.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Revengeanceful: Gold-Forged Sentinel is a functional reprint of Lumengrid Gargoyle, which doesn't see much play. Maybe such a creature is worth a second look though?

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
White has much better flyers, and black has Sengir Vampire, but both cost double colored. Blue has Horizon Scholar(and half of Moroii), Red has two Dragons(also double), so only Green is left without a big dude in the air. I'd say it's only going to be valuable with an artifact theme to exploit its type.

Thanks for the awesome writeup. Past those, Oppressive Rays looks appealing in aggro, and Thassa's Ire looks sick with crew of Merfolk. Golden Hind goes into my ramp-centric green like a boss and Desperate Stand is going to blow some bitches out.

Kasonic fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 18, 2014

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

My preview article is up on MTGS for the new set:

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/...o-nyx-cards-for

Let me know what you think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm surprised you rank Disciple of Deceit so highly given how much time and work it takes to trigger inspiration and how conditional the transmuting tutor effect is. At least for peasant, I don't even think it's the best Dimir card from the block (Shipwreck Singer is pretty boss, but given that peasant is more combat-centric it's not an apples-to-apples comparison).

I'm pretty bummed that all of the C/U constellation cards are marginal and not really worth cubing. I'd hoped to make a stronger enchantress-style theme for Selesnya, but other than having a higher enchantment count from bestow dudes, the block didn't really deliver.

Cards on my peasant watchlist:

Nyx-Fleece Ram - May include this as part of an enchantments matter package with Ethereal Armor and Sphere of Safety
Dakra Mystic - Essentially a looter variation and one I'm interested in testing
Sigiled Starfish - Seems worse than Omenspeaker or even Augur of Bolas most of the time
Gnarled Scarhide - Auto-include
Banishing Light - I try to avoid functional reprints, so this will replace O-Ring due to its cleaner templating
Quarry Colossus - A reasonable control finisher for white
Supply-Line Cranes - White has a pretty shallow 5-drop section in peasant (Cloudgoat Ranger is amazing, but it drops off considerably after that), so I might test this at some point
Hour of Need - Fun card that I'm excited to test
Flurry of Horns - Not the best token maker, but I run Goblin Bombardment and Kyren Negotiations and this plays decently well with them as well as providing decent haste P/T for the cost
Sigiled Skink - Red has very few repeatable scry effects, so I'm at least curious to see how this plays
Nessian Game Warden - Green has no shortage of good CMC5+ creatures. There are a lot of games that the Vigilance on Sentinel Spider or Village Survivors is more relevant than drawing a card
Fleetfeather Cockatrice - Versatile creature with a built-in mana sink a guild that's very likely to ramp
Stormchaser Chimera - Izzet is still one of the thinner guilds and I like that it can pump itself while hopefully keeping your hand gassed up; reminds me of a miniature Spellbound Dragon
Ajani's Presence - The most efficient single target indestructibility trick Wizards has printed to date; I'm phasing out Protection from my cube and mostly replacing it with indestructibility and blink effects, so this might well find a home